How effective were those single shoot black powder rifles really?

How effective were those single shoot black powder rifles really?

They fired giant bullets but at the speed of modern handgun cartridges.

Attached: 2576102230_e15e9461c2_z.jpg (640x426, 116K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nQrE8vOM0ss
youtube.com/watch?v=FPrhYZnuz9Y
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They only needed them for shooting tribal niggers so effective enough

Fuck off i enjoy mine

Attached: in case of zulus.jpg (1024x576, 213K)

Pretty damn good at Rorkes Drift.
Even at Islandlwana they gave a good account of themselves, till they ran out of ammunition.

I'd buy one mainly for hunting as they're not that useful nowadays outside of that. Unless I can get 19 or so buddies with one in which case Rhodesia Mk2 Victorian style is on the docket

>Fire same big fuckoff bullet that they have been using for centuries
>Now you can reload it in 5 seconds rather than 30

Gee, I dunno user

youtube.com/watch?v=nQrE8vOM0ss

Mandatory training.

effective enough to kill a man at any range the soldier could be expected to hit him. It's not like effective ballistic body armor was a widespread thing until recently.

I am thinking of buying one of these after I got to shoot one that one of the old guys I know has. His came from inside the wall of a forgotton miners cabin in the late 60s.

At long range it doesn't matter much either. A wounded man won't shoot you any more than a dead man. Stopping power is relevant at close distance... but then as Rorkes Drift shows, they had plenty of that.

>They fired giant bullets
That's pretty much what you want against niggers.

Attached: Zulu War Chants.jpg (640x558, 32K)

577-450 has muzzle energy in between 454 Casull and 460 S&W.

>but at the speed of modern handgun cartridges
You think the round bounces off the skin or something?

When you are dealing with some nigger on tribal crack or whatever they were smoking, you want a bullet that lets Tyrone know he is dead, some smaller rounds you might need to let him understand that he is dead with more rounds.

when you need a hacksaw to saw off the hit limb then yes it powerful enough

I have a Springfield 1870 trapdoor in 50-70 and its quite potent, wonder if it was ever weilded against a charging buffalo

When British soldiers went from 577-450 to .303, they complained that .303 wasn't effective at shooting through brush whereas 577-450 was much more capable at going clean through thick undergrowth to the intended target

So pretty effective

Somebody needs to post that screen cap about some kid using one in home defense shooting and it turning the guy hit by it into fucking shrapnel.

they hacked off limbs for infected splinters back then this argument is stupid

old Rifles were better than most assume. you were more limited by the sights and ammo quality than by design of the cartridge/rifle
youtube.com/watch?v=FPrhYZnuz9Y

Black powder? What's this?

An uncivilized death for an uncivilized people.

Brits thought wogs were undeserving for smaller calibres.

best part of the movie, pure gold