How well would pic related work for hunting birds? Hawaii fag so want a shotgun for home defense, pig hunting...

How well would pic related work for hunting birds? Hawaii fag so want a shotgun for home defense, pig hunting, and skeet shooting, but being able to hunt birds would also be cool. It needs to be stainless or at least extra rust resistant, due to the salty sea breeze we get here.

mossberg.com/product/590-mariner-9-shot-50299/

Attached: 50299-catalog.jpg (835x196, 53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mossberg.com/product/maverick-88-security-field-combo-31014/
mossberg.com/product/500-combo-fieldsecurity-54169/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Fine. Get the right birdshot load and check your local laws about needing to plug the magtube cylinder as necessary (maybe you can use a stick down in there, i've seen that done before).

>How well would pic related work for hunting birds?
mediocre
barrels too short and probably going to be openchoke cause all the 18 or 20s are cylinder bore with no chokes.
you want a choke for birdhunting.
bird hunting has a limit of 2+1 so your going to have to block the tube. not a big deal but that tube is a significant amount of mass fucking up the balance of the gun.
you can do it but it wont be optimal.
hd shotguns are only good for hd. your standard ass 5 shot 500 is a much better all around everything gun.

get whatever you like/can. shooting clay is objectively the most fun you can have with a firearm. pump/semi/over under doesn't matter, whatever makes your penor hard. if you get an o/u get one that ejects the shells upon breaking so you can catch them midair and thus drown in pussy

imo a Remington Marine Magnum would do better

Yeah I figured I would need to plug the tube. You personally use a cylinder bore 20 inch before?

Yeah it's cylinder bore without a choke. Do you think it would suffice for skeet and just not well for actual birds?

Yeah I was out in Idaho for college and loved shooting on the weekends. Deciding to get back into it but need to get a shotgun here that preferably doesn't rust easy with the sea breeze.

Didn't Remington go to shit and now their guns have a bit of a rusting issue?

I have seen pictures and heard the rumors, but have had no issues with mine. I don't blame you for being hesitant, but I ask that you compare mossberg marine shotgun to remington marine shotgun.

Yeah I was looking at it and if I remember correctly, Remington does have a crossbolt safety which I do like, however it does have 2 less capacity and a mildly shorter barrel. It looks like a good gun, but it would really suck to buy something and the rumors end up being true. What year did you get yours?

2011, to me thats new. Granted the bulk of the problems I heard came from a regular Remington 870. I have always recommended Remington 870 Express Super Magnum to friends and have not heard of any issues. As always clean and maintain you firearm after coming back from the range and you shouldn't have any issues

>Do you think it would suffice for skeet and just not well for actual birds?
You can do it but you wont want to. Its like this can you cook food with a razoblade? Well if you have too you can. You dont want to though. If you had anyother knife youd be better off with that. When you borrow somebody elses gun youll see how ill suited your choice is. When it comes down to it its still a shotgun.

Consider a basic bitch 500, sold as a combo w/ hunting and security barrels. A plus for cucked states is that it's a classic fudd gun. Toss the pistol grip.
As for rust, clean and oil regularly.

Attached: 54169Combo.jpg (1024x223, 21K)

It'd work just fine. The mariner finish option would obviously also be well suited for the typical climate around the islands, and the 590 is rock solid shotgun you can depend on.
With load selection, you can of course hunt a wide variety of animals, including birds.
For home-defense, I will suggest you use Number 4 Buckshot, it's as deadly as most buckshot, but if you miss or get a glancing hit, you're far less likely to get pellets going through lots of wall and furniture.

On skeet shooting, I have no experience on this, but what I hear is that pump-action shotguns aren't the most suitable for the sport, most people who shoot skeet and are serious about it will prefer an over/under double-barrel, or an automatic.
For just laid back recreational use I imagine it'll still do fine, a shotgun is a shotgun.

He could get a set of different chokes, and balance won't be great with a mostly unused magazine tube, but you could still do it I figure.

The marine pump is nice but the odds of you having rust problems are really slim unless you drop the thing in salt water. The pistol grip doesn't really add anything to the shotgun. You want the 28" barrel and chokes for everything you described except HD. Fortunately if you get the basic hunting model then getting a different barrel (20") for HD is really easy and they just slide on.

Ill keep that in mind, thank you.

Good analogy lol

Yeah I think i'm also going to add this to the list of considerations.

Getting a lot of differing opinions on whether it's good for skeet/bird hunting. But yeah for home defense I figured number 4 buck would be pretty good based off videos I see online. I wonder if I would be able to just buy a separate barrel that's not a mariner barrel and have a sort of franken shotgun, so that way I can use chokes since I don't think the mariner barrel is compatible.

Yeah i'm starting to consider getting one of those shotguns that come with 2 barrels. I'm not attached to the idea of a pistol grip for 12 gauge.

mossberg.com/product/maverick-88-security-field-combo-31014/

mossberg.com/product/500-combo-fieldsecurity-54169/

Is it worth a extra $120 (based on online prices) to get the Mossberg 500 over the Maverick 88? The Maverick's long barrel comes with a modified tube while the 500 can use all chokes. Is it worth a extra $120 for a full choke and improved cylinder choke? I've never hunted bird before and don't know what chokes I was using to shoot skeet before in college, so don't really have much practical experience.

you can get a gunsmith to install removable choke tubes in it

I don't shoot skeet but there are skeet chokes. for birds it depends on how far you usually shoot them but I think full or modified is typical. if you want to use your gun for more than one thing interchangable chokes is worth the money.

>Hawaii
How are the Islanders treating you?
>be Hawaii fag
>ride coool tubular wave on the wrong beach
>get beat up

>he was being an asshole and doesn't know it
ho brah be mo kama'aina

Very well. Don't listen to anyone who tells you you don't need nickel or stainless.

I have a model 70 Ithaca. I live in bear country so it's our cabin gun. When we see grouse we also bring a bunch of 4 shot and I have never missed anything either when they are on the ground or flying. I look at it like this, if you had a long barreled Olympic grade choked shotgun and you shot a target with whatever shot at whatever distance all of the BB's would land in a 10 inch circle. If I shot 75% would hit the target and that's way more than enough to kill anything.

Attached: DSCN8573.jpg (3264x2448, 1.66M)

Oahu isn't too bad, it's mostly Filipino's instead of Samoan's or Natives. Got messed with a little in high school being the white kid but nothing physical and don't know any other white guys who got beat up personally.

Yeah the rust issue really worries me, I had some stainless screwdriver bits I use for PC building, they stayed inside the house and didn't get wet but still rusted. Might just get a cheap $200 Maverick 88 that comes with a 2nd barrel for skeet if a modified tube + the extra 8 inches is really needed for birds/skeet. I'm not sold on the idea of paying a extra $120 over a Maverick 88 for a proper Mossberg 500 just to use a full choke and improve cylinder choke. I wonder if it would be possible to get the marinecote finish and just replace the barrel with a longer one that takes chokes? Little franken shotgun.

Get a benelli. They hard chrome everything under the skirt, from the barrel to bolt to action and so they far more suitable for adverse conditions than anything made by Mossberg.

Some unpleasant gun control, and high rent.
The natives fucking hate hippies.

Newbie here, why would you need to plug the mag tube?

Just learn to bang faka.

Hunting laws, you're only allowed certain capacity when out hunting with a shotgun for some reason (even in states where there's no magazine laws), hence why it's not rare to buy a hunting shotgun and find that there's a plug in the magazine.
If you don't intend to hunt, you can take the plug out and that's fine, but if you want to hunt that plug needs to go back in.

Makes sense, thanks user

I wish I had Benelli money haha

>He could get a set of different chokes
he cant if he gets a 20 inch gun. cause the only barrels offered that will swap without replacing half the gun are all 20s. the only difference being finish or sights. all of them will be open.