Long range shooting sucks?

Everyone wants to be a sniper, but it appears to be a lot of trouble and expense for not a lot of return.

>buy an expensive and heavy rifle
>buy an expensive and heavy high power optic
>buy expensive match-grade ammo
>need another person to spot
>drive out to the middle of nowhere to find the right terrain
>setup for lying down or on a bench
>travel a huge distance between target and shooter
>success is you put a hole in the target

Unless you’re into it for completions I don’t see the value.

Attached: B4D1F1F1-BB7B-4930-AABD-DFC0409A6BB5.png (1500x1875, 1.12M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lwhwkiZ-zgs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>i liek magdump lolololol
ok whatever

because its secretly for autists, just like black powder shooting. they love all the math and weighing and adjusting and spending 5 minutes between shots

>buy an expensive and heavy rifle
No, there are plenty of reasonably priced hunting rifles that shoot under 1moa, which is perfectly fine for just starting out.
>buy an expensive and heavy high power optic
Kinds of agree, but that depends on just how far you wanna shoot.
>buy expensive match-grade ammo
Or reload and save money on other types of shooting.
>need another person to spot
Sometimes, depends on the backstop and if it shows your impact well enough.
>drive out to the middle of nowhere to find the right terrain
True
>setup for lying down or on a bench
A blanket and bipod is all you need
>travel a huge distance between target and shooter
Cardio is good for you
This applies to any type of target shooting

you can buy a sub moa rifle for a few hundred dollars. buying an expensive as shit rifle will not make you a better shot user. sure you need a decent scope but you can get one that will do the job for another couple hundred. dont need a spotter, and average match grade ammo typically doesnt cost more than your average ammo

>I don’t see the value.
Nobody says you have to like the same things other people like. You sound like a fudd in the making.

he literally cannot hit on target from 400 yards with a rifle

LAMOing at your life right now.

I don't get it.

The rifle in OP is a M200 Intervention which costs like $14k. Why would anyone buy a $14k rifle if they could get the same performance from a standard hunting rifle which costs a few hundred?

More like
>Place crosshairs on bullseye
>Fire
>Your left testicle was tighter this shot than last and it made your cheek scrunch up so the recoil met 1.6x10^-30 oz more resistance on the left side and that threw your harmonics off so the bullet left with a high muzzle and your group at 100yds opened up an eighth of an inch and you missed at 1000

FUCK PRECISION RIFLE

Thats what makes it fun user

Attached: 20190615_160646.jpg (4032x2268, 3.17M)

>Or reload and save money on other types of shooting
After you've invested all that money on the press and the different caliber reloading dies, the first time you switch from your precision caliber to the "other" kinds of shooting you'll realize you should have just bought ammo

>Tfw Robert fondled my balls during penis inspection day and it fucked up my groups

Why do I put up with this shit

Attached: 1441694077015.jpg (1062x1062, 158K)

Marksmanship isn't JUST sniping, it's really just shooting as far as YOU possible can and as ACCURATE as YOU can, if you only have access to a fucking Mosin and iron sights go for 300 yards, if you have some tricked out Barrett go for 1500, I have a shit eating bolt action ,22 and i go for 150 yards with iron sights that are stolen off a fucking bb gun, I get trash 6" groupings but it's better than my original 18" grouping

Hey, it's their money.

Sounds like somebody can't shoot well.

Attached: IMG_0075.jpg (720x540, 474K)

I hope this is bait.

No that's what makes it BULLSHIT
Get the grip fed baby G36 out of here

Tbf, a lot of us BP guys are ex cons who can't have a fun the legal way, so we do what we can with what we got.

We're also autists.

>Jow Forums doesn't see the value in shooting
Big surprise!

To be fair, ELR and ultra-precision shooting is exhausting as fuck. You can totally blow a shot or a group by the bipod shifting a quarter inch. It feels impossible sometimes

If no one else is going to say it I will
Your waifu is shit

This. Nu-Jow Forums is fucking horrible.
I have no idea what's happened but less than 50% of you fuckers even own guns anymore. Its embarrassing.
Also fuck you, OP, you turbofaggot. I do what I want with my money.

Is this what video games do to your brain? There was once a time when people enjoyed the challenge of mastering a difficult skill.

>No, there are plenty of reasonably priced hunting rifles that shoot under 1moa, which is perfectly fine for just starting out.
May as well buy the $1000 precision rifle instead of waiting 15 minutes between magazines for the barrel to cool.

It works for me I love it. Whats wrong with the mp7 its a great pdw

Its not that expensive to buy a single stage press and it certainly costs less per round if youre precision shooting or reloading for odd calibers.

That's what you get for not buying the 12th release of skyrim

Ive been lurking for about 10 years and the amount of people who actually own guns has always been the minority, very few of those that do own guns actually precision shoot (especially past 100 yards), and there have always been people like you saying the quality of the board has gone down.

That's why I don't bother with it. You can do a perfectly acceptable job of killing people at range with a PTR 91 or just about any other battle rifle.

Attached: __original_drawn_by_plasmauniverse__sample-265824a339c85925659753c3d1d186f5.jpg (850x1230, 202K)

I'm getting into precision shooting soon. About to buy my first rifle for it, and then I'll try to enter a competition in a few months once I have learned the basics. It seems fun as fuck to me.

How do you guys work on your shooting? Do you go out into the woods and shoot there? How do you find a good field or open area that long?

It gets frustrating after a while when microscopic things totally ruin your shot. I love shooting, I go out day after day and keep at it, but it is absolutely demoralizing when you feel like nothing you do will help.

>muh precision shooting is spending 10k on a rifle and optic and trying to snipe the eyeballs from moving housecats at 2 miles meme

You can precision shoot with a 500 dollar savage axis set up and knock down quarters at 50 yards.

>0.97" targets
>At 50 yds
>precision
Are you fucking joking?

you can buy budget rifles with heavier barrels tho

>lurks for ten years
>posts shit

>you need to let cheaper rifles cool longer
What kind of fuddlore is this?

That's a great place to start, especially if using a bare bones hunting rifle. I'm sure you're a tack driving super sniper though so feel free to post your wall of trophies.

Snipers are one of the most effective force multipliers present on today's modern battlefield.
What the fuck are you on about?

We're talking about long range shooting, I don't think 50-100 yards counts as long range.

Attached: 2etpkaejzmi21.gif (363x268, 2.1M)

in case this isn't bait
>match grade barrel
>specific twist rate
>specific throat - ogive tolerance
>unique long distance round
>long action that allows you to take the optimal COAL instead of sacrificing jumps
>weight and feel
>$6000 S&B scope
that's generally the difference between a normal hunting rifle and an M200

pretty much this. but at least the money is more rewarding per round and time used

>precision shooting
>magazines
everyone single feeds unless you get into $20k+ territory that allows you to customise the feed path. Accuracy International mags are even 0.1+ inch below necessary COAL of most bullets

that's why you increase your shot counts and get better at not messing up

Depends on the caliber but generally yes you are correct. I'm more of a practical group chaser. I like to hit a cat skull at 400 yards.

that's where you start. knocking down quarters at 50 yards is amazing for the calmness and general feeling of spaced out shooting before you start wasting money on precision ammo and precision rifles

700-1500m is long range
1500+ is ELR

Lighter barrels which are typically what you find in hunting rifles yeah if you want perfect accuracy between all your shots. Other user is obviously exaggerating on how long it would take to cool tho

Lol. That’s all you are getting from us today

Is it retarded to think it would be fun to fire competition rifles for the purpose of hunting?

That’s still ~2moa. You’d have to be really bad at shooting to not be able to do that and is not even in the realm of precision shooting. If you can’t do that with irons, go home and be a family man

>TFW I can bearly hold 1.75" to 2.10" 5 shot groups at 100yds with my 308

I just want to die sometimes

Can you shoot 1000 quarters with 1000 bullets in 10 minutes? Oh wow looks like you can't get ~2moa, family man.

>expensive and heavy
Don't be poor and weak manlet
>expensive optic
Don't be poor
>expensive ammo
Don't be poor
>drive out in the middle of nowhere
How the hell do you not enjoy that?
>set up for laying down or a bench
You can stand since you hate laying down so much
>travel a huge distance
Invest in a bike rack or stop being a fat fuck
I get the feeling you don't actually enjoy shooting.

This.

Also I shoot my "Precision Trainer" more than any other gun.

Try shooting something like a .22 precision rifle (theres several good options now of varying capability and price) learn to shoot it and get hits at 300 yards.

Congrats everything you learned on the .22 for less than .10 CPR applies to your precision rig, and if your trainer mimicks your precision rifle well enough the more the better.

I don't even hardly shoot any other guns besides .22s anymore, only centerfire I've fired in months were pistols and my precision rifle.

But the Precision Rifle I don't bring out until I go somewhere that has a 800+ yard range.

Next time I shoot it I'm going somewhere that I've fired (and made consistent hits) at 1200.

I'm considering selling my scarry "Salt Weapons" and refocusing on what I enjoy.

what gun and ammo? are you laying down or bench seating?

it's a starting point. plus it gives you satisfaction. you could use dimes or something but the whole idea is to train your breathing and heart rate and not move the bipod

The budget rifles with heavier barrels are still $700+ why buy twice?

Thicker barrels absorb more heat before accuracy is affected

>everyone single feeds unless you get into $20k+ territory
Neat. Why does that make a difference?

R700 or compass with the heavy barrel option are a total of $450.

Also probably because mag feeding disrupts the casing and bullet

any recommendations on best .22 bolt action guns? I'm looking at a ruger american rimfire for ~$300 or the ruger precision rimfire but thats ~$450 and im not sure if its even worth the difference in price since ill probably backpack with it a little bit

also is .22lr the best rimfire or should i get 22 or 17 magnum?

the argument was that the press would also serve for other types of shooting
making your own rounds to your own standards or reloading odd calibers are the reason to reload, and why I wouldn't suggest getting a reloading press and all the dies for the more normal calibers one would shoot

>what gun and ammo?
Savage model 10 FCP-SR, outback. 308
Bench, using bipod

>he doesn't have full control over his balls

Never gonna make it

Precision is better than the American. CZ 452/455/457 are also very good (Varmint or Tactical). Tikka's T1x is very good. Anschutz is the gold standard, but way outside your budget.

.22 LR is the default practice cartridge, .22 WMR and the .17s are decent for a more advanced cartridge (better trajectory and power for small game) but if you are just practicing the limitations of .22 is better because wind and drop are much more of a factor than with 17 HMR/17 WSM.

Plus .22 Match ammo is hella cheap when compared to basically anything else, and remember you want Subsonic... because 22 gets squirrelly when it goes transonic (drops back under the sound barrier) all rounds do.

>700-1500m is long range
>1500+ is ELR
t.noguns
300+ yards is long range
1000+ yards is extreme
Period.
Don't give me that shit about how it's different in Europe, all the gun friendly countries are heavily wooded.

Pistols are more fun than any type of rifle. More challenging to master, most likely gun type to be used in self defense is a pistol, cheaper ammo, etc.

Oh yeah try to buy something that will mimic your planed centerfire LR rifle.

If you are planning on something like a Tikka TAC A1 or other chassis gun, the RPR will mimick it better out of the box than something like a 457 ProVarmint or Anschutz.

If you are planning on something more traditional, skip the RPR and go 457 or big (Anschutz, Lithgow, etc.)

>way outside your budget
im just looking for a fun accurate plinker i dont give a shit about quality as long as it does its job. as far as the rest of that goes yeah i pretty much know all that already just wondering if theres any other benefits outside of hunting/precision for the other cartridges

Then the Precision Rimfire is still better than the regular American.

At least its barrel is easily up-gradable once you outgrow Ruger's mediocre factory barrel. Same reason I also recommended the CZ.

Honestly I'd rather have a 10/22 than a American Rimfire.

>just wondering if theres any other benefits outside of hunting/precision for the other cartridges

No, and .22 Match is more accurate than them anyways.

1500 yards is the cap for normal cartridges that you can still buy off shelf that aren't $2-$5 a round. this is why ELR is 1500. 300-500 yards is not really what we would call long range, at least in Canada and the US. entry level competitions give you 300-1000 yard ranges but 600 is generally a warm up and turret dialing opportunity. especially considering that i don't have to dial for turrets unless i'm pushing 800 yards with my current setup unless it's a really windy or cold day.

"extended long range" competitions is 1500-5000 yards, often doing 2400 as the general range which you can shoot so you don't have to get into buying cheytac or silly russian snowflake cartridges

Nigga, I'm a terrible fucking shot who gets like two foot groups at 100 yards and even I can tell you're being a salty faggot

Attached: 1487255650340.jpg (640x801, 91K)

Attached: Jan 1, 2019.jpg (2000x1324, 1.97M)

can confirm, not a felon but I'm into bp and I have autism. Nothing compares to spending more time cleaning guns than loading and shooting them

Like all shitty and dangerous jobs in the military its hyped up as 'elite and badass' and the guys who do it given a certain amount of laxed freedom in order to coax people to join. The reason being when they go and do it for real theres a massive chance theyll get killed
>Hey guy, we want you to walk 30kms with 60kgs on your back.
>Set up your spot somewhere here, behind enemy lines
>We're expecting -10 degrees and rain next week
>Target is this guy, may arrive anytime in the next 3 days
>So yeah no sleeping.
>No guarantee of an airlift if you get compromised because of enemy AD.

can corroborate.

youtube.com/watch?v=lwhwkiZ-zgs

Attached: being a fucking bitch.jpg (540x350, 30K)

the millennial mindset

>there are plenty of reasonably priced hunting rifles that shoot under 1moa, which is perfectly fine for just starting out.

Remington, Savage, Howa. The list goes on.

>Kinds of agree, but that depends on just how far you wanna shoot.

Granted the more pricier an optic the better glass you should expect. That being said I'm using 40 year old technology for an optic and I do fairly decent.

>depends on the backstop and if it shows your impact well enough.

This. Even with a spotter it can be hard to see where rounds end up especially if there is lots of grass.

>A blanket and bipod is all you need.

Don't even really need a bipod. Roll up the blanket instead of lying on it and use it for your rest. I gave up using a bipod and back to old school using my day pack.

>This applies to any type of target shooting

What other kind of shooting is there! Shooting is all about putting a hole in your target. Whether your target is paper, binary, 4 legged or two legged, it's all about putting your round into that target.

no it's because they don't fit the optimal COAL in the magazine

loaded rounds matched to the throat often times are too long for the magazine. especially when the bullets are getting longer and heavier