Nogunz here, thinking about getting a 5.7 as my first gun is this a good idea

Nogunz here, thinking about getting a 5.7 as my first gun is this a good idea

Attached: fnh-five-seven-pistol-1321309-1.jpg (1200x1200, 472K)

No.
Get a .22 LR (I'd recommend the Ruger MkIV) so you can affordably learn the fundamentals.

Yyeah if you want to flex on some fags

Don't listen to this guy. 9mm is better than a pea-shooter and can be shot cheaply as well.

Attached: Kino.jpg (2440x2889, 3.15M)

literally feels less quality than some BB guns I've held. It's a piece of shit and shoots a meme caliber than you'll never find inna gunstore

Don't do it. Waste of $2,000. Fires a stupid 22 round. Get a .357 magnum and practice shooting with .38 specials. Best all around beginners gun you can get.

Is the 5.7 a good gun to get later down the road?

Only if you use it to blow your brains out with

It's alright.

The round is kind of pointless unless you are expecting to deal with people in body armor.

Don't get a 5.7 as a first gun. Get something in 9mm

Hell yea do it

Attached: UMP Pelican.jpg (4032x3024, 2.89M)

No it's to big to conceal carry, to expensive to plink with, not good for home defense, and can't be used to hunt. Get a sig P365 or Ruger mark IV and tell your fiance to stop calling me it was a one time thing and I dont care that the baby is mine.

And then you're better getting an AR57 upper w a 16" barrel as it will actually penetrate.

Just get a bolt action deer rifle.

You don't need that assault weapon.

It’s a fucking awesome gun.

Attached: 7BCB3D17-EAC5-4F3A-A11F-ABDDD169DCB1.png (1136x640, 1.33M)

It's a good gun but probably not a starter gun, it's expensive, nearly $1500 and probably a bit more than that after tax bullshit. It's ammo is also comparatively pricey compared to something like say 9x19. Understand, I'm not saying it's got something wrong with it just that it's probably not a gun I'd chose to be my first gun.

OP honestly, in my honest opinion get a compact 9mm for your first gun, a bit of a compromise between full and sub compact so you can carry if needed, be a bedstand gun, etc. I recommend just looking at any of the "C" variant fullsize 9mm. usually 12-15 round capacity.

It feels like a plastic toy.

Yeah that is a pretty noguns thing to say lol

Was it made by Mattel?

Start off with a 9mm or a .22 your wallet will thank you later

Only if you don't actually want to shoot it and just brag online.

Don't get the 5.7 to start with. I made that same mistake. Don't get me wrong I wish I still had it but it's not a good first gun.

i thought these were cool until i handled one. all polymer, feels like a cheap toy in the hand, small uncomfortable controls, ammo is crazy expensive.
get a glock or something with a metal frame - cz, beretta, sig

Use that same money to buy a tokarev, ar, and mossberg 500.

> Bad because of polymer and small, uncomfortable controls.
> Get a Glock instead.

Glock controls still seem small and uncomfortable to me. I agree it is a better first choice for a gun, but not for those reasons.

A 9mm in general is a better choice because, as you did mention, the ammo is more abundant and much cheaper. Most people don't consider the buckets of ammo they're going to go through at the range over the years, and cents per round really add up. And it's a good idea to get accustomed to the basic recoil of 9mm before going with something unique like 5.7.

The Five-seveN is cool, even if the name capitalization is irritating, get one as your third or fourth if you're still into it. I bought an all-steel full-size for my first handgun, and I love it but quickly got a compact Glock to carry. Which specific handgun you get doesn't really matter, although anything below $400 is probably going to have trade-offs, and above $700 is only if you have the disposable income. Mid-tier is fine. I went with Glock for cheap magazines, and because PCCs are often compatible.

Don't get a gimmick gun for your first rifle either. Buy basics and then branch out into more fun stuff.

Nothing wrong with this pistol, it's lethal and it has less recoil than a 9mm which already isn't much, which means you can get follow up shots quicker, also it's standard capacity is 20 rounds! I mean you can't go wrong with this gun, some people might argue that ammo could be pricey, but aslong as you're not a poorfag, go for it desu.

Just get a 9mm longslide if you want a high cap polymer gun.

Glock 34, S&W M.20 5”, CZ P09/P10F will all serve you much better, reliably fire solid defensive loads. And if your budget allows for a fucking five-seven, you can afford to shoot a FUCKLOAD out of a 9.

The five-seven is al novelty but you can’t really get the cool armor piercing ammo anyway so there’s not a real point.

Attached: B5F52829-C111-4DD4-BD90-87F975001D2B.jpg (275x183, 6K)

for the price of one five seven, you could get a good .22lr AND a good 9mm to learn the fundamentals
get those first and then get your meme caliber if your wallet will still handle it

yes, while the glock's controls are not great either, it is relatively inexpensive while still being an overall quality pistol. while i have sold mine, i started on the g19 and having done so gave me a greater appreciation for the ones i would eventually move onto. although for a couple hundred more OP could upgrade to a cz75 or a 92fs.

Standard 5.7 fmj will pierce through armor.

Dont listen to this "MUH .22 FUNDAMENTALS" bullshit that Jow Forums has been selling since 2009.

>Nogunz here, thinking about getting a 5.7 as my first gun is this a good idea
this is an awful idea

Way too expensive for a starting pistol. Buy a 22 or a 9mm as the gun and ammo is cheaper

I agree. 22. is BB gun tier. I shot a fuckton of .22 competitively growing up and it barely translated over to centerfire calibers. 9mm is a better first caliber by far

Yeah totally. It's definitely going to be a safe queen with how expensive ammo is (unless you get into reloading)

MAIN POINT OF SELLING BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN PISTOL IS EXTREME PRICE OF WEAPON AND CARTRIDGE

BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN IS WEAPON OF MAN WHO WEARS EXPENSIVE ITALIAN FASCIST SUIT OF HAND SEWING, DRIVE HUGE EXPENSIVE NAZI MERCEDES OF A.M.G. SHOP, SAIL ON MASSIVE YACHT TO GREEK ISLANDS. I THINK YOU GET PICTURE. BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN IS WEAPON THAT SAYS IS NO SUCH THING AS CONCERN OF MONEY.

FOR MAN WITHOUT EXPENSIVE SUIT, BIG BLACK MERCEDES, AND MASSIVE YACHT, BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN IS FOR PRETENDING OF BE RICH LIKE BLACK GANGSTER OF AMERICAN CITY WITH GOLD CHAINS OF LOW QUALITY AND JEWELS OF COLORED GLASS. WHEN YOU EXPLAIN USE OF BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN PISTOL IS ONLY FOR SHOOT MAN WITH BULLET VEST WITH CARTRIDGE ILLEGAL TO CIVILIAN, THIS MAN HAS NUCLEAR RAGE. WHOLE IDENTITY OF THIS MAN IS SPENT IN PRETEND PISTOL SHOWS HE IS RICH. IS VERY AMUSE.

FOR REST OF WORLD THERE IS 9 MILLIMETERS OF LUGER WHICH IS SAME WOUND FOR LESS COST.

excellent summary and well reasoned point

>armor
Get specific or get out, but any armor you can defeat with the Five-Seven's low velocity can also be defeated by comparable 9mm pistols with readily available solid copper bullets.

The solid copper 9mm is more expensive, to be sure, but the gun and practice ammo are cheaper, so it's not at all clear which option costs more or less.

Get whatever gun is fun for you. Learn the fundamentals of shooting through online research. Remember that even though everyone here says that ammo is expensive, realize you can get shit tons of duty grade ammo for somewhat cheap. You end up plinking with duty ammo, but for what it is, it's pretty cheap. Also the five seven is not as bad in terms of ballistics as everyone here says, it's ROUGHLY on par with 9mm with generally much more penetration of flesh whilst fragmenting when hitting obstacles like 5.56, preventing over penetration.

And yes, the mil leo only ammo is available to civilians, the ATF designated AP rounds are not obviously. And no, you do not need the AP specific rounds to penetrate armor. Also, the SS195LF is an aluminum core hollow point, an AP type round not restricted.

Five seveNs are also really light, a full 20 round loaded gun being 1.6lbs only. You may think it feels like a toy, but it's extremely capable. Your perception of how it feels doesn't impact the fact that it is extremely reliable and strong. To add on it's extremely accurate due to the fixed barrel, low recoil and flat shooting round.

Concealed carry shouldn't be too hard though with it. If you can fit it, because of the weight it should feel natural. This depends on your body though.

Get a Five seveN. It may not be the most convenient first gun, but it's fun as hell and a capable workhorse if you need that.

I mean if you've got the money and can deal with the ammo costs, then it's certainly not bad, 5-7s are high quality and easy shooters with huge mag capacity, just don't expect it to be some miracle hand cannon or for it to be cheap to shoot.

If you shoot 5.7x28 and you don't reload your brass, you're doing it wrong.

If you want an inexpensive gun with a bottlednecked cartridge, there's the Tokarev.

Attached: Engraved Tok.jpg (1024x768, 93K)

Sorry I thought I was on a board where people knew what they were talking about. Well since you didn't seem to know let me reassure you that kevlar armor can be pierced by handgun rounds. Lurk moar /v/let

Saw one at the LGS and was surprised at how huge this overpriced piece of shit is. Seems overgrown for the cartridge it fires, and the whole plastic cover over the slide thing feels cheap. Hard pass.

awesome PCR, I got two from cz custom.

I heard from video games that the tokerav round is even more powerful than 45acp.

That HAS got to be the biggest fudd myth out there.

You CAN heard to shoot well in any caliber

*learn

>Waaa don’t buy it because the ammo is to expensive from my perspective. Waaaa buy this piece of shit milsurp gun instead.

About 98% of you need to get a fucking job and stop being so pathetic.

Attached: 72789FF8-82B8-4460-A5FA-62782510A649.jpg (640x455, 40K)

What about 22lr? Does it have enough force to penetrate a sternum? What if it's a non organ shot? Do you think it's got the power to cause incapacitation through pain and disruption of muscle tissue? I'm not sure it does, at least on someone who is full of adrenaline.

No.

And if you're going to be using a long gun anyway, the usable power floor starts at 5.56 with M855 steelcore. Or 5.45 Soviet if you're a slavaboo and can find the steelcore 5.45 milsurp ammo that Obama banned.

Except that the cartridge is a one-trick pony that only does one thing worth a damn, and that's penetrate soft body armor, ONLY if you use the high velocity aluminum core ammo that is banned from import, and ONLY if you shoot it out of something with a longer barrel than a Five-Seven, like a P90.

Except for some exotic boutique ammo--made by people who got shut down by BATFE for making handgun ammo with machined brass bullets (a no-no, "cop killer boolit" herp derp), the 5.7mm cartridge is depressingly unimpressive in ballistic gelatin and makes 9mm roundnose FMJ look good by comparison by every metric except penetrating soft body armor.

>I shot a fuckton of .22 competitively growing up and it barely translated over to centerfire calibers.

You didn't learn trigger control? You didn't learn to focus on the front sight? You didn't learn how to use the irons? Bullshit. It all translates over 100%, unless you're such a fag that you limp-wrist centerfire handguns.

.22 isn't for fighting--though in certain specialized applications (*cough* suppressor *cough*) it has its niche uses.

.22 is for high volume training. .22 is for getting the most bangs per dollar (under 4 cents/round, where the cheapest 9mm I've seen online recently was 15 cents/round plus shipping) while you get proper stance, sight alignment, and trigger control into muscle memory. It all translates over. Front sight, press.

And you have to have a .22 to compete in NRA Smallbore Pistol, but if you can't keep 10 for 10 in sixty seconds in 3" at fifty feet using a one-handed duellists' point stance, you're not tall enough for that ride.

It's a cheap option and it can one shot headshot up close.

This gun provides better stopping power than a .22lr. So you can get it.

It's more powerful than a .357 Magnum.

But he already said he wants a 5.7, what's the difference.

Get the gun you want, really. You'll probably be happiest with a compact/duty 9mm and then know where you want to go from there once you get some experience. When you're getting down the fundamentals it's going to hurt to drop twice as much money on ammo when you're still learning how to shoot basic groups. Besides, 9mm target ammo has baby levels of recoil in anything that weighs more than 10 oz.

Quick search on ammoseek...
.22 LR: 2.7 cents per round
9x19: 12.8 cents per round
7.62x25: 23.7 cents per round
5.7x28: 34.8 cents per round

So, unless you reload, you'll burn through your ammo money at very different rates.

What gun is on your picture?

.22 is a shit weak round. You can succeed with it if you will learn to headshots tho. Even the .25 ACP is very weak.

buy what you want, but dont come crying to us when you have to spend $35 on a box of 50 ammo

also if you think that gun has "armor piercing bullets" think again you cannot even purchase the black tipped bullets that are armor piecing. the normal blue tipped ones can go through 1/8 inch mild steel and thats about it.
5.7x28 is hard to reload. its match grade ammo and the tolerances on it are tight.

>is this a good idea

get the gun that tickles your fancy. know though that the 57 is about as impractical a handgun as it could possibly be.

Attached: my sexual preference.jpg (3706x1782, 1.78M)

I carry a five seven with red box ss198. The gun is very light weight and comfortable to carry. I have strong faith in its capabilities.
The ss198 round tumbles very quickly and has incredible exit wounds. Way worse than I've seen with 9mm.
I've tested this time and again on raccoons. ss198 always pulls some of their innards outwards. The 5.7x28 punches way above its weight. Anyone comparing it to a 22LR is a retard.

Attached: IMG_4115.jpg (2500x1404, 2.12M)

do you fags also complain about the cost of 45acp? Both 5.7 and 45acp cost about the same.

I saw some beaner in his old cammies and battle belt "teaching" some asian mongrels at the range with this thing. He was trying to show off the freedom hating bugs by shooting all around the target and couldn't form a good group. that should tell you all you need to know.

Get a K or L frame in .357 magnum -good gun, allows you shoot inexpensive ammo, supremely reliable and simple and not spic tier.

Honestly I think it would be a good first gun if the cost doesn't bother you. People here will freak out, but they do that no matter what. It's a capable round with extremely limited recoil, I don't see the problem. I think they are fun to shoot (although the sights are weird to me, feels like I'm pointing the muzzle at the ground when they are lined up) and despite the appearance I did not find it cheap feeling at all.

Don’t listen to these faggots, OP
5.7 is probably the best handgun caliber. It hits like a rifle and it’s wound vectors are unmatched.

>is this a good idea
no

So I was wrong about it being twice the cost when it's closer to triple.

Yeah, but unless you buy safe-queens, the ammo cost is pretty much always going to be larger than the cost of the gun in the long run. It's just a question of how many rounds it takes to get to that point.
People who talk shit about .22 LR as a training round are full of it.

My buddy has a 5.7 pistol, it’s fun to shoot, good ergos, the biggest surprise though is the whole thing is plastic on the outside lol

That's a stupid fucking idea.

I see you ran out of money to afford a new light that matches.

My first gun was an M&P 15 sport, and my first handgun was a gen 4 glock 19. Go big or go home pussy

Attached: 1408758553097.png (496x708, 448K)

NICE FLEX BRO
U SENT THAT SISSY HOME CRYING TO MOMMA FOR SURE

fpbp. get a mkiv tactical (not the 22/45 bullshit). buy a dead air mask. Probably my favorite gun and I can shoot it as much as I want without caring about ammo prices. you can move up to 9mm later, I personally love my p10c. still waiting on my nfs

*nfa fuck's sake.

The 22/45 is super comfy, IMO, but my first airgun as a kid was based on the 1911, so I'm just really used to that grip angle.