Black powder essentials?

Black powder essentials?

So my Kentucky rifle is coming in soon and I know next to nothing about black powder, what sort of kit(Powder measures, powder, wads and shit) do you guys recommend? I'm in the dark here and don't trust Google for looking at powder measures. Also on a side note, are the spouts being sold online compatible with every brass powder flask?

Attached: 91S.210.jpg (1900x756, 48K)

>horn for charge powder
>horn for flash powder
>flint
>leather that can cover flint
>wad pouch
>ball pouch

You should have a short starter if you are loading patched ball, which is the type that would go in a rifle like that.

You will want some sort of possibles bag to carry the assortment of stuff you need. Flint, balls, powder flask, powder measure, short starter, patches, grease.

You need appropriate patch material. Too thick and your ball will get stuck, too thin and your ball wont engage rifling well. The more you shoot, the more that fouling will make loading harder. Swab the barrel from time to time so you don’t get a stuck ball when shooting.

To load, place the patch over the barrel and set the ball on it. The patch should be greasy (bp is a mess). Use the short starter to get the ball a couple inches in the barrel. Ram the ball all the way down.

It is critical that you ram completely, an air pocket will be dangerous. You will tell by tone and feel, the ball must rest against the powder charge.

The flint will have to make lots of sparks, you will have to experiment with angles to get the best. Use a hammered lead sheet and leather or just leather to hold the flint in place. Some people like fine powder for priming the pan but I just use normal powder. It increases lock time (time from trigger to fire) but I don’t mind, this will be up to you.

You are messing with lead so don’t touch your face or mouth.

It is a lot of fun, it’s my favorite shooting sport. Hopefully you enjoy it too.

Oh and track of the wolf has always been a good retailer to me

This is good but short starters are a modern meme. Use a ball that is 2 calibers undersized with a thick patch like they did in 18th century.

>To load, place the patch over the barrel and set the ball on it
You should probably start with some powder.

Some pyrodex, some round balls, and caps and you're ready to rock. Make sure to make paper cartridges. Anything else is a boomer tier larp

caps for a flintlock?

this plus get a metal rod DO NOT USE CLEANING ROD to push the ball down and a ball starter
the woden rod on the rifle looks nice but is shitty
ALSO
does anybody know where(best) to get cheap 454 ball

Attached: TR_410PIE.jpg (500x188, 7K)

You need one of these.
Known as a worm or patch puller.
When cleaning, patches will get stuck in the bore.
Besides blowing them out with compressed air, a worm is the best way to get it out.

Attached: A85D62DD-39E1-482B-85E8-E52B78465A0B.jpg (2592x1936, 702K)

I purchased this stuff, only to find out later it is just soapy water.
Learn from my mistake.
When it’s empty, I fill it with more soapy water.
Clean between shots

Attached: 378D641B-2C6A-473F-A351-4341099D7AD7.jpg (2592x1936, 922K)

You can buy different horns if you want
But a simple power measure is sufficient.

Attached: A15254A7-0AFF-41DB-B3E7-8262420601FD.jpg (2592x1936, 1.08M)

Traditionsfirearms has them cheap

Traditions has everything g for a decent price. Picked up 2 guns and a shit ton of ammo and powder and was good quality.

Pyrodex pellets have a chamfered end. And the grains on that end are course compared to the rest of the pellet. Load the pellets chamfered end first. Pryrodex says the course material aids with ignition and should be against the breach.

Attached: 1B0034C9-624C-43D4-A10D-7404DD15CC6D.jpg (2592x1936, 714K)

Why bother posting this?
Pyrodex, especially the pellets is not suitable for flintlocks.

Before loading always make sure the rifle barrel is empty. Not bits of patch left.
You need two marks on your ram rod.
One mark for an empty barrel
One mark for a loaded barrel.
Then you can easily determine if the rifle is loaded or not. This helps prevent a double charge or loading one charge on top of another
If you need to pull a bullet then pic related is what is needed. Tap the screw into the lead to start the threads.

Attached: 0F6D0029-9973-449F-8EB6-CC98976FFD89.jpg (880x660, 70K)

Anybody with a brain would have already converted it to caplock to begin with, or get this, got a cartridge gun to begin with. What kind of idiot leaves a 150 year old+ ignition system of his weapon, and DOESN'T upgrade. I've upgraded weapon systems from paper cartridge to center fire . You sound stupid as fuck

I don’t answer to you so fuck off.

OP here, some people just like the flintlock system, it looks far nicer than caplock plus I'm not looking for performance I'm looking for fun.

Make sure you have a powdered wig and tricorn hat.

That's essential.

Will post my hat when I get it.

ur high nigga
>16.95 per 100

you can use empty shell casings for powder measures.

>Some pyrodex

Attached: 1542513622852.jpg (200x210, 10K)

>pyrodex

I find Black MZ is a bit smokier, easier to clean and a bit cheaper

Nice, I’ve pretty much finished the same kit, got the percussion cap version since it was cheaper though. Haven’t fired it yet, I’m considering putting a varnish on the furniture first. You’re meant to do that right?

Attached: 2331D150-283E-4821-AC80-889B2BE41BE9.jpg (3264x2448, 1.29M)

In my state, and many other states, there is a significantly increased hunting season for muzzle loading firearms. Besides being a blast to shoot, BP firearms have that advantage if you enjoy hunting.

Op, DON'T use pyrodex with your flintlock. You'll want 2f black powder (not substitute) and optionally 3f or 4f for priming

Danke, will use real BP. Does cleaning the bottom of the barrel really matter? Long as the rifling and touch hole are clean?

Does anyone have any tips on how to disassemble an incredibly tight Uberti 1851? I just got mine today and the wedge came out without too much trouble but I cannot at all get the barrel to separate from the frame. I've removed the wedge and its screw completely and I've been hammering on the loading lever against the cylinder like I read to but it won't budge at all. If I keep hammering on the loading lever I'm pretty sure it's gonna break, I think the plunger is already a bit looser than it was originally. Any ideas?

insert into anus

Idk if relevant but I found a way to satisfy my love of lobbing .69 lead balls without having to buy a repro Brown Bess and all the supplies.

I buy the cheapest 12 gaube 1 1/8 oz birdshot, carefully cut the crimps off, and pour the birdshot out.
Then I melt the lead shot down, cast it into. 69 caliber balls with my lee mold, and shove the balls into the empty birdshot shells I have. The balls seat in the wad real tight and I find them to be pretty accurate at about 50 yards.

So yeah I turned my shotgun into a musket and in the process I'm making slugs for about .20 cents a shell in the process.

Attached: 20190505_203503.jpg (1280x720, 259K)

Dang I should have proofread that

Attached: 20190507_174312.jpg (1280x720, 293K)