Jow Forums I wanna get a Barrett M107, Yes Really

I'm not a poorfag so I can afford things. (I save my money, anons.)
Does any kommando actually own one or at least have a good amount of experience with them?

I'm thinking I'd get the shorter 20" barrel and I'd want to get a M107A1 because it's definitely upgraded from an M82, has titanium parts, is lighter, and is supposedly more accurate than M82. (1 MOA, rather than 1-2 MOA for a M82)
I've heard that the shorter barrel doesn't really hurt accuracy and is better if you put the Barrett can on it anyway. (29 inch Barrett with a can is ridiculously long and heavy)
A Barrett isn't a sniper rifle anyway, but you can get the Hornady A-Max rounds that are very accurate for a .50cal.
I'd get one in black if it was cheaper, but all colors are the same price, so I'd probably get it in OD.

I've fulfilled many of my "guns to buy before I die" list already. I have a chrome Deagle brand Deagle and a USP Tactical, as well as some cans and fancy optics for my ARs.
Also, I want to get it because I think that if leftists had their way, they'd ban it in a second.

What do you guys think? Am I forgetting any factors to consider? Other than the insane cost of .50BMG, of course.
Any high end optics suggestions for such a gem of a rifle?
Suggestions for buying online so I can possibly get out of paying exorbitant sales taxes for a $10,000+ rifle?

Attached: Barrett M107A1 20inch OD Green.jpg (1200x343, 136K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/BW4WCq3DtwQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If you're just buying one for the sake of having one and enjoying it, get whatever length suits you in whatever color is most appealing.
Get a Schmidt & Bender PM to dab on poorfags

>the sake of having one and enjoying it
what if it was for more than just that?
>$3200 optic
definitely makes sense on such a rifle

Attached: S&B PM.png (785x409, 74K)

Barretts, mostly M98s but some other models too, regularly pop up on the used market.

Assuming you're not a complete homebody like most of this site, finding a local PRS club and networking a little could result in a private transaction, saving you a lot in taxes.

yeah people are always trying to get rid of them because they buy it, fingerfuck it for a month, realize no range near them allowed .50 bmg then they sell it once fingerfucking it stops being fun.

I just thought of this, but with the shorter barrel there will be a lower bullet velocity and thus just less power over all. Not sure how big a difference that will make. Doubt it would damage range if you're planning on doing long range plinking

get 14 different $20 Chinese red dots and put them all in a line on the rail. Start shooting and see which ones take the longest before they fail

If it were me I'd lean into the long / heavy. You're never gonna have to hump it far and the extra weight will help with recoil. Further steel spare parts are gonna be cheaper than titanium ones (though you probably won't put enough ammo through it / beat on it enough for that stuff to need replacing)

Attached: doitus4.jpg (271x277, 13K)

True, shouldn't hurt accuracy much, but the longer barrel is adding velocity for sure, just don't know how much.

The titanium parts should take a REALLY long time to wear out since it's stronger than steel.
The biggest factor might be between getting a 20inch vs. 29
I need to find out the velocity difference/loss.

No reason to not get the 29 on that kind of rifle.

Kek

there's definitely a reason to go shorter, such as:
>gonna put a can on it
>significant weight difference
>humping it around, imagine having to pick it up and quickly change positions

>wanting to save 2 pounds on a 40 pound rifle

Put a $30 airsoft scope on it

Get a 29 inch barrel for ballistics

>wants to buy a Barrett .50BMG

R A U F O S S
youtu.be/BW4WCq3DtwQ

Attached: ABB03247-F169-4E9B-91E4-5325769D5F7B.gif (800x517, 770K)

M107s go for around $10k-$15k these days for some stupid reason, and on top of that you'll need a proper optic which is going to run another $3k-$5k. Additionally you better have an outdoor range or private property lined up, as it isn't outside of reasonability for some ranges, name indoor, to not want you throwing .50BMG through them. It's a dream rifle of mine as well but I suggest you have the rest of your life in order before spending that kind of money on what will largely be a range queen unless the boogaloo happens. Vehicles, house, wife, kids, etc first.

Get the big one. Even the shorties are way to heavy to be practically carried around, so you might as well go full velocity. Who cares about accuracy in an antimaterial rifle, 2 MOA is still minute of engine block at a thousand yards.

This minus the optic part, just get an acog.

I’ve had the same idea for a while and wouldn’t mind having a .50 myself. If the money is there and you won’t break your back to part with it, then go for it.

the big acog is a meme. do not buy

I was in the same boat as you last year.
I ended up getting the 82CQ.
Thing most important to me was getting a chrome lined barrel, which only the m107 and the CQ have (their website says the m82 long barrel does too, but I called to confirm and it turns out that's only in the 416 caliber). A ton of the ammo you get will likely be belted, which means a ton of tracer rounds, which burn hotter. Also saving ~4000$ over the m107 was a big deal.
You have a velocity loss of about 200fps with the shorter barrel. Faster is better, but it ends up functionally pretty much the same. The real power in 50bmg comes with your ammo selection. The API round makes all the difference. Also, ammo is alot cheaper than what people think. You can consistently get rounds for 2-3 dollars a shot, which is a bargain if you consider the amount of brass lead and powder you're getting.
There are certain expectations you need to have with this rifle. Things that it is, and things that it isn't.
The rifle is not a precision platform, so if you want to shoot groups you are going to be thoroughly disappointed. The accuracy is ~2moa and the trigger is mediocre. The rifle is also extremely heavy and large. Shaving 5lb here or there will not change the handling characteristics, and you likely won't even notice it.
On the plus side, the m82/m107 gives you a reliable semi-auto magfed 50cal platform. You can rain 50bmg as fast as you can pull the trigger. You can count on it to reliably feed basically any 50bmg you can find. There's a rock quarry close to me, and I'd rattle can some boulders, then blast them with api from a couple hundred yards away. They literally explode. A ton of fun with a group of friends.

I've shot both M82 and M107A1 (shorty). For aesthetics, M82 is better and iconic.
The M107A1 is a legit upgrade, because of some space magic they did internally, buffers, lightweight materials, brake, etc. The recoil is much lighter and much more pleasant to shoot than M82.
The brake also feels like obnoxious to the shooter. Rip bystanders.

>Am I forgetting any factors to consider?
A place to shoot it, really. A shitload of ranges around me, even out door, ban .50 BMG.

Good advice, user. You're totally right.
Luckily I'm no NEET
And I have my own property to shoot to not worried about the range bullshit factor. I almost never go to indoor ranges, cuz they're gay

what's the "big Acog?"
an accupoint?

>Vehicles, house, wife, kids
Yeah, this will kill all of those

Barret fucking sucks, do a 360 and moonwalk away from that bitch assed shit

>Hornady A-Max
will not work in semi-auto

just buy an extra barrel

I have one. 20” with a suppressor. I’ve shot it quite a bit at a range that goes out to 2 miles. It’s just so goddamn big and it’s a pain in the ass to drag around. I only ever get it out when my buddies want to shoot it. I should have bought the ktm superduke I was looking at instead.

Attached: 383917.jpg (2000x1922, 173K)

Titanium is stronger than steel by weight, not volume. An identically spec part made in steel will be stronger than titanium

Attached: 161CDEE2-B72E-4329-B9DC-11A7013FB220.jpg (83x125, 2K)