Reloading General

Just got a load of reloading gear at a moving sale and am looking to get started. What is a good first reloading book for a beginner? I'm only planning on reloading common calibers right now until I get a bit more experienced.

Reloading General, everyone. Get in here.

Attached: 20190616_180959.jpg (3264x1836, 1.35M)

I have a Nosler 7th edition book that came with the RCBS Rock Chucker kit I bought. It has a decent amount of load data and commentary by industry professionals. Another resource is the Hogdon Reloading Data Center on their website. Maybe not as comprehensive as a large hardback book, but easy and quick to navigate.

As part of this purchase I got some premium components like Lapua. 308 brass and Hornady match grade bullets. Would I be better off starting my reloading journey by just making basic loads with cheap bullets and range brass or should I just jump in and play with the fancy stuff?

Attached: 20190616_181141.jpg (3264x1836, 1.24M)

All of the big-name loading books are good. The only advice I have is to get your first one from a company who makes either bullets or reloading equipment as opposed to ones from a powder company. The ones published by powder companies only work for their brand of powder. The ones published by bullet or reloading supply makers tend to be more generic and have data for a variety of different powder brands, so those are more flexible. Get a book from any of the big makers--Lee, RCBS, Hornady, etc.

I'd advise using new brass for your first time loading. That way you don't have to worry about case prep and cleaning and can concentrate on the rest of the procedure.

Ok. Only new brass I got as part of this purchase is the Lapua .308 and some new .45 ACP cases. I've got a pretty decent pile of used brass from the range I've collected in anticipation for reloading, but I can start with the .45.

Are military primers worth the extra expense? CCI has some for both small and large rifle.

That's one thing I forgot to mention that is a big limitation with the Hogdon resource; you're limited to Hogdon, IMR, and WInchester powder for reloading data. It works out for me since I mostly use Hogdon anyways.

What are some cartridges that allow for some really wild reloading fun? I know folks have been shoving .224 bullets in 7.62x25 with a sabot to get stupid high velocities. 45-70 apparently allows for ridiculously heavy bullets. I think I even saw one user post on here how he made duplex .38 special loads with wadcutters shoved underneath a standard bullet.
Any other crazy or unique loads out there?

Not in my opinion. AFAIK the only difference is that the metal cups are a little thicker making them "harder" than normal primers.

>What are some cartridges that allow for some really wild reloading fun?

A straight-walled case (or as close to it as possible) in a common diameter. .45 caliber is good because there are a ton of bullet choices in that size. 45-70 (or any of the others in that series like .45-90, etc.). .450 Nitro Express, .45 Colt/454 Casull/460 S&W, etc. .510 diameter is another good one because you can play with all the special .50 BMG bullets. and of course any .30 cal rifle is good too since there are a bunch of different .30 cal bullets on the market too (military and commercial).

Oh, and don't forget shotguns. They're pretty much the king of fun improvised loads.

OP again. Still need to get powder. IMR 4895 seems to be useable in most of the common rifle calibers out there I plan on reloading (223, 308, 30-06). Is there a similar powder for all common handgun cartridges? Something you can safely put in nearly anything? Generally, are there any powders I should avoid?

Green dot works fairly well across a range of pistol cartridges, same with power pistol.
There will not be a one powder fits all for pistols due to the extreme spread in pressures and burn rates required but some powders work moderately well across the bulk of calibers.

IMR4895 is a very flexible powder; I highly recommend it.

I don't load any small pistol cartridges, but for stuff like .357 mag/maximum, .44 mag/maximum, .454 casull, etc, I like H110.

Also, something to think about:
What is you goal here? Saving money? fun? or are you trying to optimize accuracy? If it's the latter, don't worry so much about figuring out a one-size-fits-all powder. Buy several and test them out to see which powders work best for which of your guns.

nosler and lyman

Unique is pretty popular and works for a lot pistol cartridges. Varget can work for a lot of rifles.

anyone loading for wildcats?

Not too sure, but I think I'm more interested in loading for fun right now. Ammo is still pretty cheap and it's hard to see solid cost savings with most common pistol cartridges. I know I can save a bit with rifle cartridges and .45 ACP, which is a definite plus.

In that case looking for one-size-fits-all powders might make sense.

My point was that if you were chasing accuracy for benchrest or hunting or whatever then you might want to be a bit more picky about powders, but since you aren't doing that then it's not a concern at all.

I know or certain that I'll get into that eventually, but I just don't have the experience yet.

Bumpin' for more info

Protip: don't mix calibers when you shoot unless you want to spent years sorting your brass.

Attached: 20190701_183644.jpg (1349x759, 374K)

you can get a brass sorter
not sure how well they work

I’ve got a Lee loader for .45-70, I’ve been de priming all my cases since I don’t have the primers, bullet or powder. Is it necessary to clean my casings? What are some good videos or books that goes in depth on what powders to use? It’s all pretty intimidating to get into but I don’t want to give up

Attached: 6F559FE9-E259-456F-8423-6F96313FB41E.jpg (4032x3024, 1.89M)

no
I use regular cci primers for all my semi autos (ar15, ar10, scar) and I've never bothered with military versions. Maybe if you regularly dropped a loaded rifle on the buttstock you'd be safer with them.

It's not strictly necessary to clean your casings, but you'll have an easier time expanding the mouth of the casing and seating the bullet if you do. It probably has a measurable effect on accuracy as well.
Cheap solution: dump brass into a bucket, fill with water and add bit of dish soap (add stainless steel pins for much better cleaning), shake bucket, pour the used water out, shake again with clean water, no soap, put brass on a cookie tray and bake in the oven @ 350 degrees for an hour with the door slightly ajar
Any reloading manual should have a selection of powers listed for each cartridge Lyman's 50th edition is a good start.
You can also use a pirated version of quickload.

they make a series of tubs with different sized slots cut in the bottom, or inserts. it's like how they sort different sized pearls.

Attached: IMG_8796_large.jpg (480x320, 15K)

cci primers are already pretty thick to begin with.

I used to cast and am now in an apartment where I can't cast. Is there any portable solution that will allow me to cast on some blm land or am I stuck being a castlet for now?

I bought the Hornady Manual and an old hand at reloading showed me how it was done. He had a jeweler's scales (precision fitter/machinist) and I never had a problem.

Thanks for the info, I’m sure my roommates will hate me for cooking brass in the oven but fuck em, I’m in Cali and I’m not buying ammo anymore

to dry them you can also just dump them out onto a big beach towel and tumble them around for a bit, then leave them in the sun to dry

you can also use car wash fluid instead of dish soap. use either one sparingly, 3 or 4 drops per gallon is enough.

why can't you cast in an apartment? electric casting pots aren't any more of a fire hazard than your stove or oven. less so.

what do you mean a portable solution? propane burner, goodwill heavy cast pot, and a casting ladle

Attached: 1f299e431ef85d636323f58a42e5a29a.jpg (400x400, 10K)

That shit will stink up the place something fierce and the first couple of times I have to flux with smoke the place out.

just cast in your kitchen that is what elmer would do

Can somebody throw 730gr 4570 load with varget into quickload for fun? Lever action pressure thanks.

Or any powder for that matter.