Hey Jow Forumsommandos, I have never spent time on this board but I want some outside opinions on buying weapons...

Hey Jow Forumsommandos, I have never spent time on this board but I want some outside opinions on buying weapons. There are 2 things I want EVERYONE'S opinion on:

1. Is the Taurus Judge a viable self-defense weapon? It makes sense that blasting with a .410 pistol would be a massive deterrent but how effective is it and is it really better than a more conventional handgun?

2. What is THE BEST long range rifle for sniping, and what is THE BEST tactical CQC style rifle? Is the AR-15 just a living meme or really as effective as people think?

Want y'alls expert opinions, help an uneducated goon out, thanks Jow Forums

Attached: gunslapd12.jpg (1125x1500, 1.45M)

>Taurus Judge
Sure. It works, I guess. Mostly. Taurus is a spotty company, and .410 out of a short, rifled barrel spreads fast and is frankly unimpressive. You'd be better served by most other functional guns

>sniper rifle
You could drop 5k on some custom Remington 700 and have a rifle that's better than you'll ever be
>Cqc Memery
Literally any semi auto intermediate caliber will be effective.

>Taurus Judge
While better than a pointy stick, it would not be my first choice. Limited capacity, not a decent shotgun

Best rifle is subjective as different rifles have different capabilities and features, pros and cons.

1. yeah it's viable. a gun is better than anything that isn't a gun. A glock or any other standard capacity semi-auto will be better though.
2. AXMC or MRAD in 338lap. CQC p90.

I've heard the opposite; that the shot in a Taurus piles on top of each other like a tube of milkduds

These questions kill me, but I appreciate that you're open about your own lack of knowledge and I will try to help as best I can.

>Taurus Judge

Really dumb gun. Not useful for anything another gun can't do better. The pellets in a .410 are small/few in number, to the point where a regular .45LC round, which the judge also fires, would do much better.

If you want a handgun to "Outgun" the average person, just remember that almost everybody uses a double-stacked 9MM striker fired pistol, like a Glock 19 or SIG P320, etc. So just have something as good or better than that. .40, .45, .357 SIG, 10mm, and basically any revolver round .357 or higher. Just make sure you don't go too high and try to use a round you can't handle.

>Sniper rifle

Not a real thing. There's a market for "long range precision rifles" and basically all of them are some kind of regular bolt action rifle shoved into an expensive thousand dollar chassis. It comes down more to how far the caliber can reach out, the quality of the optic, and your own skill.

>CQC/AR

AR's are literally the most practical weapon for home defense.

>Almost the same muzzle energy as a 12 gauge.
>Lighter, easier to handle.
>Less recoil.
>More accurate, especially at range.
>Super cheap ammo.

Taurus is shit! REAL SHIT

2. Never shot them all. Simo killed 500+ dudes with a mosin nagant. I am lucky to hit a styrofoam plate from 100 feet

It's subjective

Also I fuckin suck, but I can make that same shot from 3x distance with an AK

The judge is an enormous meme for self defence. It is good for killing snakes at close range, as another user posted, the shot cup out of a rifled barrel will cause it to spin out of control and the shot will lose velocity and power fairly quickly.

There is not I would say a BEST end all be all Rifle like you would find in a video game. For "cqc" as you put it, the AR is fine, just like the ak, or most other semi auto rifles available today, like the ps90 or the scar or the galil ace or the whatever, what determines its effectiveness would be your experience with it and if you added extras to it that help enhance it in that role, such as a red dot optic, flashlight, etc.

Same for a long range Rifle or "sniper rifle" as far as off the shelf, desert tech, the Barrett Mrad, or sako TRG are great rifles, but did you put a proper scope on it, are you shooting a proper load through it, do you have your dope? There are a lot of factors when it comes to long range shooting.

most people using a judge don't use birdshot, they use those defense disk loads or something similar. I've shot those meme disks at cactus with my dads judge and can confirm they fuck shit up

>1. Is the Taurus Judge a viable self-defense weapon?
yep it also shoots .45lc

>2. What is THE BEST long range rifle for sniping,
rail gun
>and what is THE BEST tactical CQC style rifle?
for CQC? a PDW or SMG or bullpup shotgun or large full sized pistol
not a rifle
>Is the AR-15 just a living meme or really as effective as people think?
whos hands is it in? that will tell you if its going to be good or not

>5k on a rifle
Pfft, i only dropped a little over 2k and it's already better than me. Wait a second...

noguns and newfag huh. Try buying a gun and shooting, or lurk more.

45 long colt can fuck shit up. Get the long barrel, it’s a fun gun

I feel like you're just afraid of 7.62x54R

Didn’t simo have one that was rebuilt? Refinished at tikka or something???

>I am lucky to hit a styrofoam plate from 100 feet
lmfao

The Taurus Judge is a "gadget." While it will probably work and can protect your home, it's a poor choice for a wide variety of easily looked up reasons. There are numerous large caliber rifles that are accurate, easy to find, and can be purchased used.

>1. Is the Taurus Judge a viable self-defense weapon? It makes sense that blasting with a .410 pistol would be a massive deterrent but how effective is it and is it really better than a more conventional handgun?
Yes it’s viable; no, conventional handguns are still better in every regard

>2. What is THE BEST long range rifle for sniping, and what is THE BEST tactical CQC style rifle? Is the AR-15 just a living meme or really as effective as people think?
This question makes it obvious you are noguns. “Sniping” isn’t really a thing outside of video games, and there is no “best” rifle. There are dozens of different types of rifles, all differ depending on your preferences and needs. A mil-spec AR-15 M4gery is good enough for what 99% of people would need it for. Don’t base your opinions and knowledge of guns on Call of Duty or whatever you play.

>1.The Judge
It's alright, but there are more better and cheaper choices than that. .410 up to 25 yards will not spread really that far. I think Paul just did a video about this.
>2. Sniper Rifle
First drop that gamer shit, it makes look like a doofus. Second almost any rifle with enough power can be a sniper rifle. Third you don't use a sniper rifle for CQC, that's what shotguns and handguns are for. Fourth ARs are probably if not the best modular multi purpose weapon.

I can give some more in-depth explanations on these than some of the low effort posts I'm seeing here.

1. Taurus makes an okay product no matter what people here say. Their flagship handguns like the Judge are well-made and work like they're supposed to.

.410 seems like a really good idea until you realize .410 is a VERY weak round even out of a 20" barrel. The pellets from .410 buckshot typically won't reach .380 ACP energy which is considered the minimum for self defense. Out of the much shorter Judge barrel, the pellets will act like .25 ACP which is just barely lethal under the right conditions. Multiplying the number of hits with ammo that weak is not the most useful strategy and you should instead look at increasing damage per hit. Luckily, the Judge has you covered, because its uniquely long chamber allows it to fit ammo with extremely long projectiles. This ammo can expand to well over an inch wide and is really fucking cool. Pic related.

2a. There are a ton of factors that go into this. If you need to hit something on the first shot and only one thing, the L115 seems to have the highest inherent accuracy among the most prominent military rifles. In a target-rich setting, or one where multiple shots are acceptable, a semi-automatic .50 BMG rifle will have the best chance of a kill when hitting any part of the body, and the most chances to get a hit in the first place. In theory, a Browning M2 with a high-power scope will also be a very effective sniper weapon if you aren't planning on moving around.

2b&c. Bullpup rifles are the best CQB weapons in the world IMO because they allow you to open doors while maintaining control of the weapon and give better terminal ballistics with the longer barrels, but if they didn't exist, I'd go with the M4. The M4 is one of the very best all-around CQB weapons in the world. The AR15 is the most customizable gun in the world and for that reason, will always be good for any situation you can throw at it.

Attached: 220gr-45-colt-maximum-expansion-ammo-lehigh-sefense-sku-01451220S-500x500.jpg (500x500, 27K)

1) It's viable, but stupid. People get hung up on the idea of a pistol firing shotgun shells, but they equate it to 12ga 9 pellet 00 buck, where it's really 3 or 4 pellets. Certainly not harmless, but not the same instant energy transfer you get with a proper shotgun. If you want a pistol get something like a Glock or a regular revolver like a Ruger GP-100 in .357, the .410/.45LC revolvers are a meme.

2) There's no such thing as THE BEST smiper or CQC rifle. There are a lot of good ones where the difference gets pretty insignificant or really situational. For instance .416 Barrett is a great cartridge for dedicated long-range precision, but is also $20 per trigger pull and because it's based on the .50 BMG requires a ~30+ pound rifle which isn't very mobile. So if you need to be a squad marksman a .308 might be more practical. You can really go down the rabbit hole chasing the ideal precision rifle for this/that/the other application with results as far apart as the VSS Vintorez on one end of the spectrum and some single-shot bolt-action 20mm monster on the other.
There's also the thing I mentioned about things being close enough as to make no difference. The AR-15 isn't necessarily THE BEST, but it's pretty good and it's super common. An H&K 416 or SCAR-L might be "better" in certain ways, but you won't have a significant edge in combat when using one over a dude with a $350 PSA AR-15. They're firing the same ammo out of the same magazines at the same rate with nearly the same accuracy (at least in practical terms within the ranges they will probably engage at). AR-15s are popular because the sheer volume of them being made makes them stupid cheap and nothing like it is significantly better.

>Simo killed 500+ dudes with a mosin nagant.

He got the majority of his kills with a full auto kp/31.

OP here, thanks for all the feedback guys, what I'm noticing in most of them is that the Judge sounds more like a novelty and just now found out it only holds 5 rounds, so I will probably just buy a p226 since I've heard a lot of good shit about it.

As far as a rifle, yeah I fuckin know I'm a doofus you dont have to tell me that, but would the Colt 6920 be any better than the AR-15? Have also heard that the TAR-21 and Kriss Vector are pretty good as far as CQC I want something really compact to buy and maybe something more precise later.

Basically, let me know what your favorite handgun is and why you like it so much. I'm going the self-defense practical route rn

1. As a Judge owner I can say that I personally would never dream of using as an edc defensive carry. I like it for snakes around the property since its more manuverable than a full length shotgun if you find yourself right up on a snake. However, the range is laughable beyond point-blank. If you do get one and carry it go with a nice defensive 45 LC. 410 slugs have less energy out of that small barrel and the pellets would just serve to piss someone off most likely.

2. "Sniper Rifle" is subjective. Depends on what situation youre looking to plan for. Most of the really precise builds can run several thousands of dollars and if you can't shoot with that level of precision than there is no point in dropping thousands on a gun that you as a shooter can't hit something with. Not throwing anyone under the bus or anything. Just think its silly to spend 3500 on a long range weapon when someone cant hit a silhouette at 20 yards. 6.5 creedmore is still really popular and you can get a decent 6.5 gun in the 250-350 price range that could do all you need it to do.

3. ARs are fine for CQB but i wouldnt call them "the best". If youre thinking home defense then I personally wouldnt want to use an ar15 for that.(over penetration concerns). For home defense a shotgun will do wonders. Another option would be a pistol Caliber carbine. I have a Sub2k chambered in 40S&W that I keep paired with my M&P 40 since they take the same magazines and ammo. Plus in CQB you're talking

Op just because people say good things about a gun doesn't mean you will like holding it shooting it. Look at all sorts of striker fired pistols see which one you think is comfortable to shoot.

This is just about the best answer in this thread. Almost everything in the gun world is subjective.
Nothing beats going to a gun store and fondling a bunch of firearms to see what fits you best.
Nowadays you will probably get a reliable gun with anything PSA/Ruger and above in terms of price range.

What do you mean? The 6920 IS an AR-15. And overpriced for what it is. The Colt rollmark meant something in the 90s. Not anymore.