Starting Gunsmithing

Been interested in gunsmithing for a while now, but still don't actually know much about it. Where should I start?

Books? Equipment? Recommendations?

Attached: gunsmith.jpg (474x355, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qTy3uQFsirk
youtube.com/watch?v=TXh9q4TnCNw
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/721286/firearm-shotgun-certificates-england-and-wales-march-2018.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Prepare yourself to buy a lot of very expensive tools.

Sonoran desert institute and anvil videos

There are schools for it. HOWEVER, most gunsmiths only end up doing stuff like assembling AR's for people too dumb to follow a youtube video, cleaning guns for the same kind of dumbass, recrowning old rifles, drilling/tapping receivers for scope mounts and making chamber casts of old guns.
If you want to actually make guns from scratch, you want to go into Industrial Design, Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering and/or Machining (CNC in particular).

SDI is a pile of shit, and you're better off watching YouTube videos.

best answer so far

This.

I wanted to get into gunsmithing so I chose the CNC trade. I’m making almost 4 times the money I made 2 years ago, and I can confidently say I could make a decent sten. Legally of course.

This or just build parts kits in your garage

Attached: 8FBB5FDC-C4E6-4A44-A71A-2B3F796701DC.jpg (4032x3024, 3.07M)

I wouldn't get into it for the money.

>but still don't actually know much about it

from what I understand gunsmiths are like real estate agents, its easy enough to train for but the problem is getting customers

people that make a successful career of gunsmithing have some way to get customers, ie. retired football coach who knows 10,000 people, or some police sargent who can use his job history etc

books, videos, or a training program or something like that

well, how about setting up shop in bongistan? it's a considerably smaller market but (at least from my perspective), one that'll allow a lot of competition.

Attached: Screenshot_20190703_190431.jpg (897x1221, 291K)

and on the number of licensed dealers

Attached: Screenshot_20190703_190929.jpg (1080x1166, 159K)

any idea on where to find a receiver for one of those?

>getting into an industry that is rapidly being automated
>making your hobby your job

If you can torrent or buy the American Gunsmithing Institute vids they're very good for understanding the mechanics and internals the vids are a bit dated video quality wise.

If you’re in it for the money, don’t.

Id imagine that would be alot more difficult as a new gunsmith. If I were a wealthy fellow with a very expensive gun that needed repair id go to an experienced gunsmith.

Link to original document?

Watch this video. It's an hour long but it's truly fascinating and inspirational. If you are interested in gunsmithing, you will love this. It makes me nostalgic for a whiter America that I didn't get to grow up in.

youtube.com/watch?v=qTy3uQFsirk

That video is dangerously comfy.
I must have watched it a dozen times by now.
This one is really good, too:
youtube.com/watch?v=TXh9q4TnCNw
RIP, old Remington.

Definitely this. Its like if you wanted to go into fucking blacksmithing, you'd get a metellurgy degree and learn smith as a hobby. You get a better understanding of how and why things work.

assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/721286/firearm-shotgun-certificates-england-and-wales-march-2018.pdf

take a machining course

Danke

I'm mainly considering it as a hobby. I'm interested in both weapons and mechanical systems. My grandpa worked in a bike shop and my dad assembled his own motorbike when he was 18. While perhaps a bit on the wishful thinking side, I'm hoping for an early retirement from a programming/software developer position, after which I'm considering taking up gunsmithing.