I got a weird feeling tonight, and decided I should load my AR mags. I had a random thought saying "what if I need them...

I got a weird feeling tonight, and decided I should load my AR mags. I had a random thought saying "what if I need them?"
Does Jow Forums keep the magazines of guns they don't use for home defense loaded? Why or why not?

Attached: IMG_20190706_000224.jpg (3456x4608, 2.68M)

Other urls found in this thread:

physics.stackexchange.com/questions/56286/why-does-a-spring-lose-its-energy-when-compressed-for-a-long-time
washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/10/27/a-dog-shoots-a-person-almost-every-year-in-america/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Every rifles/pistols/shotguns I got have fully loaded mags at the ready.

Attached: 1560596019988.jpg (499x559, 112K)

i store at around 25/30 capacity. That's plenty enough for unforseeable circumstances.
If i was in boogaloo mode, I'd probably go to 29/30

I keep all of my magazines for all of my guns loaded.

Attached: 2nd revised for clarity.jpg (900x312, 95K)

A gun that doesn't have a loaded magazine within arms reach of it is basically a club.

Keeping them loaded for extended periods of time can hurt the springs in the mags. If you have multi mags just change them out ever so often.

If this isn't bait, it doesn't effect the mechanical function of the spring, but moisture in the air for a quite long period of time in adverse conditions can cause corrosion to build up in their current position.

Either way, load your mags.

Myth.

I’m loading all the stripper clips for my SKS tonight, I’m on the BC coast and there’s been four earthquakes in the last week, and now this big one down in Cali

Oh no, the moose will lay down with the yote, it's madness!

This fuddlore has been BTFO multiple times here, shut up.

>why not?
that's my reason right there

why did you have unloaded mags to begin with? That's dumb.

I skip the ammo and just fart in them

I don't bother with loading because my area doesn't have a blackamoor problem. Any criminals just burglarize the gas station next door anyway

It isn't myth
It is more acing to half-truth as it is not nearly as harmful as some say it is

springs wear with use, the metal is set to shape via heat treatment
compressing them for long periods of time does fuck all

Yet there is multiple people who had mag to not feed last round correctly after stashing mag for couple of years

Nope.

Yes
Reason why this arguing is still alive is because there is some truth on both sides

why so you keep spamming this?

No, there's not. If you load and unload constantly, that will wear it. If you just leave it loaded, it will not wear. The reason this myth exists is because fudds are retards and they have mouthpieces like you to repeat their fuddlore.

Some pmags may stretch over a few years to where they must be forced in the magwell. I just sent back 3 gen 2's
The 40's are fine

Who knows how many times they've loaded and unloaded wearing the springs out or improper storage that impacted the magazines in some way to leading to an issue.

Whereas those in the business of springs can tell you leaving the springs compressed doesn't do much if anything at all. We also have evidence from those who do have magazines fully loaded and stored for over a decade still functioning fine when used.

I have an AR pistol I keep loaded with .223 hollowpoint lying by my bedside. On my desk I have two different pistols I use to conceal carry, a Sarsilmaz 9 (Turk 9mm pistol, looks like a cross between a glock and an HK) and a Walther P22. Both pistols I keep loaded, because whats the point of unloading your everyday conceal carry.

Busters

Maybe it depends on how well spring is tempered.
Hard to tell but I believe that some mags are able to be decade loaded and others barely couple of years.

>implying mags use real spring steel

Keep a combat load and 6 mag bandolier loaded all the time. I stockpile 193 on clips in cans, so loading the rest won’t take much time.

The issue will be with the spring contracting not compressing. It will have issues feeding on the last rounds, when you do that

>this retarded fuddlore raises its ugly head again

Attached: keke.jpg (200x300, 36K)

I mean, I've had spring compression happen to me, though it happened with crapco SKS mags after being fully loaded for 2 months. Constant failures to feed, ended up throwing those mags away because they are so cheap.

I keep all mags loaded at all times outside of the ones I’ve been having issues with.
It’s also my measure for how much I was shooting as I load them to the same point after every range trip and then just count the boxes used.

Attached: CC13EC69-C811-4FF6-94F3-7707DFDBEDC5.jpg (3024x4032, 2.98M)

I keep most of my magazines loaded for conveniences' sake more than anything. Loaded mags take up less space than empty mag + cartridges, and it makes it faster to pack for a range trip.

If youre going to keep your mags loaded, when you have prep time, take the springs out and overstretch them after.
This will fix any "damage." Happened to my kriss and pmags. You dont need to load them less for storage. Just pull em out and stretch em. When youve got the prep time.
This will bring the spring "back to life."

Cite some

Paul Harrel mentions that mags loaded for long periods of time need to be stretched if theyre not functioning correctly. After long term storage.

Do you take your car off its tires and put it up on blocks when you're done using it for the day?

Which do you think is easier, fuckhead?
You see how that might play a role?
Fucking mouthbreather.

I do for my race car. I dont want it sitting on its drag slicks when its in the garage and it will go months without use.

All your 30 round AR mags should be at 28 so they can reliably work on a closed bolt.

Why the fuck have them if they aren't loaded?

Are you waiting for someone to point out the first round does not have a primer? If so, you can stop posting this image now

You are a dumb fucking monkey idiot. If you ever knew how spring physics work, they lose springiness from being WORKED, that is, compressed and decompressed. They will also lose it if over compressed or over stretched. As long as a mag isn't designed by LITERAL RETARDS then the spring can never be over compressed or over extended, thus, the ONLY thing that will cause the spring to fail is to load and unload it many times.
Now maybe if you went and got yourself learned, you wouldn't have to be talked down to like a no brained dumb fuck.

Attached: DumpsterBait.gif (382x554, 2.57M)

Then why have I, others, and even instructional personalities have expressed experiences of long term stored mags not feeding correctlly?

I keep half mine loaded and half empty for the ar. All the other guns just have one loaded. I've heard compelling evidence that storing them loaded is both terrible and not a problem, so I'm splitting the difference. If it's bad, I have some that aren't loaded. If it isn't, I have some that are ready to go.

stop buying mags
>designed by LITERAL RETARDS

Pmags, usgi mags, shotgun tube mags, kriss vector mags .
Are you simply going to write them off as complete retard designs?

The issue isn't the spring, it's the ammo. Moisture corrodes ammo, which will in turn fuck up the spring. Mags kept loaded long term need to be kept safe from the elements, compression alone will objectively not damage them. That part isn't up to discussion.

At home, I keep all my guns condition 1 (you never know with dogs), condition 0 when I carry them.

I'm getting the feeling it is probably user error.
You sure you are putting the mags in the gun and not your asshole?

How could a dog possibly fire a gun

It was armed and coming right for us

Attached: 1534059177658.jpg (225x225, 8K)

>his dogs don’t know firearm safety
You’re not gonna make it kid

Attached: DC6BD47D-7AF6-4444-A225-B3148B8B45F3.jpg (4032x3024, 2.76M)

Compression WILL cause creep. It happens over time, always.

Compressing and uncompressing does not cause ‘wear’, it works the metal. Interstices in the crystal structure of the steel disrupt the smooth lattice and make the steel harder and more brittle.
Creep is when something is bent and left in place. The stresses will relieve themselves as the lattice moves.

All that just to say
>unloading and loading causes wear

I keep all my weapons loaded and ready except for my Marlin 60 and my shotgun. Mostly because if I have to go cowubunga the racking would make the shells 1000x stronger.

Always keep your mags loaded, what the fuck is the point of them if they aint loaded?

Springs are not tempered, they are annealed.

This post needs the eyeroll emoji.

Spring physics?
It’s called METALLURGY, you fuckwit.

Now I see you are just trolling.

That isn’t wear. Maybe look it up for yourself?

It's both. Spring physics is an actual concept.

physics.stackexchange.com/questions/56286/why-does-a-spring-lose-its-energy-when-compressed-for-a-long-time

Your cite disagrees with your post.

Not *exactly*

There are 2 kinds of spring wear. The first you identified, the act of being compressed/decompressed and this is the primary way a spring deteriorates.

However, a spring will still deteriorate (somewhat) from remaining loaded. If the maker of the magazine took this into account (for example, Glock mags) you're fine. Otherwise, you could have some issues over time.

Regardless, keep a couple loaded, worse thing that happens is you have a failure to feed on the last round, and tap rack bang that shit.

Attached: 1442027359705.jpg (1920x1280, 397K)

Do you take the recoil/buffer spring out of your guns when you're not using them so they don't wear out?

>defending yourself against earthquakes
with an SKS

the only guns and magazines I don't keep loaded are my old WWII era ones. Partly because I don't shoot them that often but also because I'm not entirely sure how drop safe they are.

Engineer here. Keeping a spring loaded will do little to hurt the springs. It's constantly loading and unloading a spring is where the damage comes from.

Cute feet. Stay safe tonight, user!

Well, then youre a poor engineer. The issue is if the spring can function properly after being compressed for long periods of time. Perhaps years. And the answer is yes. As tests have proven. The last few rounds will not feed properly. Will the spring break? No, but the amount of pressure that was intended will diminish.

>

Attached: MAGA.png (1061x594, 361K)

Because you're a cheap retard.

Poor engineer my ass. We're better than you are; let me show you what a plebian you are: You speak of spring creep, and it is the negligible loss I previously mentioned. Spring creep works very slowly, perhaps years, and the effects are less as time goes on. Normal spring creep alone should not cause a magazine to malfunction. If it were losing enough to cause failures, it's usually due to one of the following:

1) The spring is being loaded to or past the yield strength of the spring material - Operator error. Solution: Stop overloading your magazine.

2) The spring was made of improper materials or improperly tempered which would result in a lower yield strength - Manufacturer error in this case. Corrosion of the spring could also lead to this. Solution: get a new spring.

All of this boils down to two things: Make sure your shit is in working order and stop disregarding manufacturer's instructions just so you can squeeze an extra round in your mag, you fucking peanut farmer fudd.

Also to add to this user, you WANT to "break in" your mags by doing this spring creep/spring relaxation stuff. That loss will happen regardless, so better to see how it functions afterward.

No, I'm saying that the loss from spring creep is so negligible, it's literally a non-issue. Normal use of the magazine should bring it to a point where you'd need to replace it a lot sooner than what spring creep will ever achieve.

Again of course, as long as you don't do stupid shit with it.

...daaaaaamn

Attached: 1525729879877.jpg (540x698, 54K)

This is mostly a myth but gun daddy Paul says it's true for m1 carbine mags cuz they cheap and disposable.

M500 (cruiser ready)
12 Glock mags (loaded)
Safety (always off)

>I skip the ammo and just fart in them

Attached: 1558988596553.gif (472x360, 2.8M)

i keep one loaded for hd

by the time the boogaloo starts i feel like ill have a couple days warning, then ill start loading up my mags only takes about five or so minutes for the 6 or so i have.

Everything is loaded. Mult 40mm cans ready to load into the truck also

>If you ever knew how spring physics work

Hmm. Please enlighten us all.

I use a 590a1, but in a similar vein
I keep a small crate of buckshot under the bed

this thread actually reminded me to top off my box, so thanks op

Attached: DSCN2674.jpg (2272x1704, 916K)

washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/10/27/a-dog-shoots-a-person-almost-every-year-in-america/

They're mostly mutts, as I'm doing the relief home thing for rescue dogs - they get rescued by the animal services, vaccinated, neutered and otherwise treated, and then left with me until someone adopts them, me getting expenses for food, vet visits and some toys covered.
I try to see if they've a propensity for retrieving or any other useful skills, but even if they do, they're none too bright. I really had hopes for this one guy with some retriever in him:
>tried to teach him to get the .308 ammo
>he just mauled the packaging into a gorillion little pieces and came back with a shit-eating grin on his face
>paper and .308 all over the fucking floor and under the sofa
At least they've all been good at barking at anyone but me who comes on the door, so that's something.

Always keep my AR loaded and a plate carrier with 3 mags in my room. Never hurts to have something more than a bedstand pistol ready just in case the worst happens.

Imagined not going to the range often enough that your mag springs would even be debated.

Attached: 1538639447328.jpg (509x371, 34K)

What does Jow Forums have anything to do with that user's statement?

Remember kids while you're fighting about springs there are a number of mags who's feed lips do not love having constant pressure (in general unreinforced plastic ones). Beware them and always check your feed lips for deformation

no i don't keep loaded mags around, that would be dangerous
i also don't shoot my guns, that would be dangerous

If you can't seat a full mag on a closed bolt you need to re-think your exercise regime.
It's literally a matter of pushing until you feel the click.

That’s a little much

This, just slap the bitch like it owes you money until you hear the pop.

Really? I keep
>2 ARs
>chest rig with 6 mags
>plate carrier with 6 mags 5.56 mags, 2 pistol mags
>AK
>chest rig with 6 7.62x39 mags
>carry gun
>backpack with 4 mags for carry gun
all loaded.

based and redpilled

>3 rifles loaded
>plate carrier with at least 2 extra mags ready to go
If It's 2am and I start hearing Zulu war chants in my livingroom I'm not going to grab a fucking 9

Yes

Leave all your mags permanently loaded and accessible.

Attached: 20190621_123228.jpg (4160x3120, 3.27M)

I have 2 mags loaded for my ar and pistol, more if a happening is going down