Hi. I'm not very Jow Forums, but you guys seem knowledgeable and enthusiastic, so I have a question

Hi. I'm not very Jow Forums, but you guys seem knowledgeable and enthusiastic, so I have a question.

I want a pistol for home defense. I'm thinking of something in .45 that I can mount a bright little flashlight on, if I so choose.

Is there a non-shitty 1911 for under $400 that any of you would recommend for this purpose, or would I be better off with some other model?

Attached: this is a gun.png (679x369, 3K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3W7sb9Zp-8o
armscor.com/firearms/ria/tac-series/tac-standard-fs-45-acp/
classicfirearms.com/beretta-9mm-semi-auto-surplus-g-vg/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>non-shitty 1911
>under $400
>new shooter

Did you get your advice from a boomer?

Attached: 1561951435584.jpg (716x724, 20K)

>.45
>1911
>$400

Attached: 1555311203364.png (188x264, 77K)

Yea, a Glock

Glock 19

/thread

>1911
>Under $400
>non-shitty

Attached: 1559299992495.gif (350x251, 1.87M)

Short answer, no there isnt a non shit 1911 for under 400.
Long answer, the 1911 is a really well know design made by a handfull of companies, theyre great pistols but they are full metal because of that and that alone the price is going to be over $500. Cheap 1911s will fuck up eventually cheapest one being around 800ish. If you want a serviceable pistol at or around $400 in .45 acp try glock g21. Though if youre going full size glock id get the g20 in 10mm.

Springfield XD in .45 ACP or Glock 21

For a 1911, get a rock island iced tea 1911

Ignore the retarded glockfags in this thread. You can get a Ria for under $400. It's mil-spec and they are as reliable as most $900 1911s. Here is a good video for comparison.
youtube.com/watch?v=3W7sb9Zp-8o

Attached: P_20181030_052000.jpg (4160x2340, 2.49M)

I didn't get any advice at all, that's why I'm asking you dweebs. My only gun knowledge at all comes third-hand from hearing things about a friend's ex-military dad.

He gave his son a cheap 1911 for home defense purposes and the friend found it to be sufficient. If I recall, it was worth something like $290 or so, but was quite basic, yet reliable. I remember looking it up after the friend let me practice with it a bit and it didn't seem bad at all, though isn't what I'm looking for.

I'll look into it, thanks.

Will also look into this, thank you.

your not getting a railed ria 1911 for under 400

You might be able to get an RIA 1911 for $400 used. They are made in the Philippines but generally ok. Good enough for home defense.

The market is mostly dominated by polymer framed striker fired pistols with generous magazine capacity these days. Basically Glock clones. You can do a lot more if you have more ammunition on tap, and they usually come with accessory rails for lights. Plus they are lighter, simpler and cheaper to make than more traditional pistols like the 1911.

There isn't really that much difference in stopping power between the usual pistol calibers (9mm, .40, .45) now that decent hollow points are readily available. You can still get a Glock or something like that in .45 if you wish, but the trend has mostly moved back to 9mm Luger with some decent HP for any magazines loaded for action.

A Glock would be a good choice of course, but they usually cost more than $400 new. You can buy a police trade-in for pretty cheap though, especially if it's in .40S&W (less desirable due to higher ammo cost and recoil over 9mm, but a bit more powerful if that makes you feel more confident).
If not you can usually get a Canik TP9, S&W SD9, S&W M&P, really a whole bunch of similar but different pistols in 9mm or .40 for $300-400. Some even have rebates going right now if you want to buy new.

If he finds one used and haggles he might, although I think a police trade-in Glock would be easier to find and ultimately better.

A 1911 with a 5.5" barrel is more fun to shoot than a Glock 22 though.

armscor.com/firearms/ria/tac-series/tac-standard-fs-45-acp/
Retail is $685. But I've seen them as low as $425 before on gun.deals

>Is there a non-shitty 1911 for under $400

Attached: 1560303672605.png (480x480, 423K)

Well it might be noteworthy that I'm not looking for fun, but strictly utilitarian.

As far as caliber is concerned, I just want to be as sure as I can that my shots will be relatively accurate and still stop drugged up maniacs who try to steal shit out of my yard or dare to try to break into my house.

>Is there a non-shitty 1911 for under $400
Short answer is no. long answer is you MIGHT find a used Rock Island Armory 1911 for less than $400 and it MIGHT not be shitty. You are better off buying something else if I'm honest, you're spoiled for choice so I won't bother making a bunch of suggestions.

Are you dead set on .45 acp OP? Its a tad bit of an outdated cartridge. Stopping power is a meme when it comes down to cartridges smaller than 10mm. 9mm .45 .357 sig .40 sw are all gonna preform about the same as far as penetration goes, this is where the great caliber vs capacity debate comes in. My philosophy being capacity > caliber shot placenent matters way more than how strong the inpact is, even .50 cal is useless when you miss. For your first handgun consider 9mm. If you do, youll find something in your budget even in full metal. For example trade in barettas go for about 300.

It's cliche, but get a Glock 19, m&p compact, tp9, or whatever size equivalent plastic 9. If you're not interested in carry or think you'd like multiple guns in your life add the plethora of full size 9s to the list. There's also poorfag options from taurus, Ruger, smith, canik that will all be at least as reliable as a cheap 1911

When you decide to go to the range it'll be cheaper, entry cost will be cheaper, holsters will likely be more prevelent and cheaper. Plus 9 and 45 do essentially the same thing to flessh

classicfirearms.com/beretta-9mm-semi-auto-surplus-g-vg/ there is no issue with buying used firearms OP. Buying online limits the ability to look over them but more often than not online retailers allow a grace period to inspect the firearm before the final sale goes through. The 92fs is a perfect home defense pistol, its big brother the m9 served our military perfectly

You might be able to find a Rock Island Armory 1911 used for under $400. They’re pretty solid for being inexpensive. The GI model doesn’t feed hollow points very well though.

If you’re new to guns I would recommend something a bit lower maintenance than a 1911.
Check out the ClassicFirearms website. They usually run some pretty good deals on nice handguns.

>a bit lower maintenance
How much lower maintenance does it get?

Don't call us dweebs, come up with something more creative. And I built my 1911 for right around $450 not including the jig, but good luck finding the parts kit I used, faggot.

>Don't call us dweebs
Okay, I won't call all of you dweebs.

Just you. Dweeb.

My point is, a 1911 isn’t something you can Neglect like a Glock.
A Glock will typically run even if you rarely never clean or lubricate it.
Polymer guns like Glocks or M&P’s are typically better for a new shooters because of that.

That is good to know, thank you.

Surplus police Beretta 92 for around $300 if you can live without .45 but want something slightly more interesting than a Glock.