What's an acceptable group off hand?

I've done most of my rifle shooting on public land without a bench of any kind and I honestly don't know if I'm a good shot or not. What's a good off hand group with a milsurp bolt action at 100m using surplus ammo? With a .22?

Attached: Outdoor Range Shooting Benches.jpg (800x480, 93K)

Other urls found in this thread:

in.gov/dnr/fishwild/3648.htm
georgiawildlife.com/allranges
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Inches?

Well, with either gun you'd need a baseline off of a bench to know what the gun is capable of. You won't be shooting 5 inch offhand groups if the gun can only do 5 inches from a bench. Honestly, I think if you can reliably hit an 8 inch plate with your surp at 100 yards offhand, you're doing very well.

You ought to be able to hit a grapefruit or softball sized object reliably and consistently at 100 yards with iron sights and typical mil spec ammo.

Agreed.

Guy who spends a lot of time on public ranges being a creep and watching others groups here
For centerfire auto-loading rifles being free-handed at 100 yards disregarding the occasional flier (90% or more of shots fired land within __ft or in):
>below average
6ft
>average
3ft
>above average
1.5ft
>upper 20%
1ft
>upper 5%
6"
>upper

$

You must be new to the internet. Welcome! Make sure to join the fight to keep the internet free. See www.lemonparty.org for details.

benched, yes, 3.5" is pretty close to the mechanical accuracy most milsurp is capable of.
Also, the amount of people who think 50-80 yards is 100 yards on unmarked land is unreal. Need to learn your distances.

I would regularly get salad plate sized groupings as a kid so I assume 8-10” is decent

I should add
is correct in that 8" is pretty good for free hand surplus. My measurements were more oriented toward free handing free float ARs

Are we talking standing or prone?
Prone I can get like 3" from an AR-15 with "standard grade" 55gr ammo

Offhand means standing.

I read op to mean "not a bench"; thus other stances, including prone or sitting, are allowed.

Attached: shooting-positions.jpg (500x328, 62K)

i can do under an inch benched and around 3" with my 1903
it took some work to get it shooting that well had to rebarrel, cut down the orginal stock, pillar and glass bed it, workover the barrel channel so the barrel was free floating
you know basic fixes to milsurp

actually, offhand means "not off a rest"

Nigga you trollin.
6in is acceptable.

>12" group top 20%

bullshit.

is that good or bad?

To be quite honest, I’ve only ever shot off hand at 1/2 size silhouette gongs at 100 yards. With iron sights on my A1 clone, AK, SKS, Galil, and other semi autos I can hit it 90% of the time. Pistol wise, I’m doing well if I can keep my pistol grouping within 7 inches at 25 yards.

I hope this is bait.

It depends
How fast are you shooting ?
How good are the sights on the rifle?
How good is the trigger?
How accurate is the rifle/ammo combination?

Just because you are a bad shot, doesn’t mean we all are bad shots.

he can sometimes put two bullets next to each other though. The one off to the side 3" was just a flier so the rifle is sub moa all day and its just him

>Im a bad shot
>"Guy who spends a lot of time on public ranges being a creep and watching OTHERS groups here"
>"Funny is that getting to upper 5% area isnt even difficult with proper form and a half decent rifle"
judging by your poor reading skills you probably lack the ability to learn that proper form or purchase a half decent rifle

This is ridiculous. You’re trying to tell user if he can hit a 6 foot target at 100 yards he is an average shooter.

For OP, here is USMC rigor qualification corse of fire. It is EASY to hit a 12 inch target at 200 yards while standing.

Marine Corps Rifle Qualification Table 1

Table 1 is the known distance range and is comprised of three targets, each scored from 5 to 0 points (5, 4, 3, 2, Miss). Each recruit fires 50 shots for a maximum score of 250.

The “Able” target is 4ft x 6ft with a 12in bullseye and is used for slow fire at the 200 and 300 yard lines, from the sitting, kneeling and standing positions.
The “Dog” target looks vaguely like a person looking over a barricade. It’s on 6ft x 6ft paper and used for rapid fire (10 shots in 60 seconds) at the 200 and 300 yard lines, from the sitting and prone.
The “B-Modified” target is a human silhouette, also on a 6ft x 6ft paper, and used for slow fire at the 500 yard line from the prone.
At the 500 yard line the recruit is shooting at a target with just a sling for support. The rifle can not touch the ground or anything other than the shooter’s body.

Mastery of the fundamentals of marksmanship is the difference between a 5 and a miss. During the first two days of training, prior to qualification, there are coaches on the line helping recruits to improve their positions and master the techniques. On qualification day, it’s all on the recruit.

Attached: E3B0D8F9-5260-4660-AE14-AAD732D1146D.jpg (1024x645, 59K)

Semper Fi

>if he can hit a 6 foot target at 100 yards he is an average shooter
yeah, that sounds about right. something tells me you havent looked around at the range to see just how fucking bad the average shooter is.

Whoa! You spend a lot of time at the range. Sorry I didn’t read that first. You absolutely are an internet expert. I apologize and yield to your superior knowledge and expertise.

thnks bby :*

Ready on the big end?
Ready on the little end?
On my command you will raise your able target high in the sky!
TARGET!! GET THOSE ABLE TARGETS HIGH IN THE SKY!

>During the first two days of training, prior to qualification, there are coaches on the line helping recruits to improve their positions and master the techniques. On qualification day, it’s all on the recruit.
Don’t forget even before they start shooting there’s a whole week of classroom and working on your firing positions, or “snapping in”.

What makes the grass grow, Marine?
Semper FI

Funny thing, I actually had my friend show my his little qualification card and i noticed fully 70% of your qualifying shots are taken from the prone position because it's marked right there on the fucking paper. The entire card showed 3 standing shots out of 50. Yeah, I'd rate marksman too if we don't do diddly for STANDING shots, which is what the thread is about.

Holding a 12 inch group all standing at 100 yards consistently for a long chain of fire is not bad. It's not going to win you any competitions, but it's definitely better than average.

Blood!
Blood!
Blood!
Kill!
Kill!
Kill!

*sips* ah, those were the days.

Attached: 4C36E3BE-498F-40FD-8645-4A0C767496E3.jpg (4032x3024, 1.82M)

I never understood this. Why do american ranges have benches like these at the range? Can you shoot and then eat at them?

The majority of people sit down to shoot. >can’t flip picture
>phone poster
Actual boomer confirmed.

Many people here have never been to a High Power NRA or CMP 3 position match.

Offhand is shot at 200 yards.
The offhand 200 yard target is the SR with a 13" black which is the 9, 10, and X ring.
SR-1 is the reduced 100 yard offhand with a 6 3/8" black.
If you're not in the 9 ring or better on every shot, you aren't in the running even at a John C Garand Match.
With a fully floated 20" AR with buttstock and handguard weights, a match barrel , match trigger of 4.5 pounds, and either upgraded iron sights with a replacement aperture or a 4X scope, dropping 2 into the 9 ring gets second or third place.
Wind calls at 600 yards decide most matches.
Top shooters clean the offhand 200 yard with the 6" diameter 10 ring.
Hang out on the US Rifle Teams Service Rifle forums.

Attached: sr_sm.gif (100x100, 7K)

This, Disaronno, lime, mint and ice make for a nice drink.

VERIFIER VERIFIER TARGET 37!

>What's a good off hand group with a milsurp bolt action at 100m using surplus ammo? With a .22?

6-12 inch, less than 6 is very good and approaching what most milsurp is capable of which is most 4-8. 22s will group in 4 inches or less too if its a decent gun tow but wind will be more of an issue

>Prone I can get like 3" from an AR-15 with "standard grade" 55gr ammo

That's shit m8, sorry but it is. That being said its probably what most AR owners think is ok

>What makes the grass grow, Marine?

Bovine manure

Post recipe

Photosynthesis sir!

Wonder what kind of Marine gets the announcer MOS. They all sounded and spoke like the exact same person

agreed, people are a lot worse than they think they are or dont look around to see how other people are doing

Sadly dont have it. Think its Ice, about 3cl, fill up and serve. Sorry

Marines make the blood flow, blood makes the grass grow.

I bet he is a better shot than you.

it would pass

It’s just whatever SNCO is standing, I’m sorry, sitting around and not doing anything. Or whoever wants to do it. But I think it’s like that pilot thing, where they’re all actually doing a chuck yeager impression whether or not they knew it. It’s just how they also knew, the way everybody knows, that pilots speak. There’s probably no order that states you have to singsong and use the same cadence, it’s just how every marine has always heard it. You can hear it still can’t you?
You may begin firing when your taaarget appears.
TAAARGETS!

Oh yea. I think we just yelled about killing more because our killhat was a operation phantom fury vet and this was only two years later. He was an intense man.
Also, I appreciate the support, but I was actually taking the piss out of myself for forgetting to rotate the photo.

Attached: 20749E41-A9DA-4822-BB26-30B866AD4F41.jpg (640x1135, 466K)

Never served but have shot plenty of 3 position matches.
The line call sets the tone of the event and the organization just sets it apart from the typical cluster at a public WMA range.

Are things that bad at public events? I only shoot in the woods or at a range where there’s at most one or two other people at a time?

No range control at many WMA.
Range hot, range cold are new concepts to many people.
Trash, getting swept by a loaded weapon, idiots doing stupid stuff.
Attending an organized event with scorers and range safety officers and other serious competitors is a really nice difference.
Generally a better class of people but there is always at least one snobbish asshole.
They are easily ignored as long as they are safe.

I shoot in my back yard, at a local club for a match, or sometimes indoors in town if I am shopping in the area. Atlanta Range and Ordinance is a nice place as is Autrey's Armory on the South side of Atlanta.
Everyone needs to take the trip to the CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park at least once.

Pardon my ignorance, MWA?
I’m from a very little to no fun kinda state, so all ranges are private, or you can shoot on state land surprisingly, I’ve heard, and have never been called out on. Even had a state trooper drive by me while I was carrying a case and waved back at me next to the woods. So it must be cool.

>All ranges are private
That’s too bad.
The State of Indiana has 14 FREE, public firearms shooting ranges. Just watch out for Illinois people, they are some of the most unsafe idiots I have ever seen.

in.gov/dnr/fishwild/3648.htm

GA WMA, Wildlife Management Area.

For GA Anons.

georgiawildlife.com/allranges