College for Jow Forumsommando

What major/degree should a college undergraduate pursue that would fare best in a SHTF, societal breakdown, civil war, or nations disappearing scenario?

Asking for a friend

Attached: 1561798285409.jpg (800x431, 55K)

anything that lets you work from home so you can live in a rural area to farm and prep instead of being tied to a city or suburb

Agriculture.

lmao college isn't going to do shit to help you in the real world let alone a societal collapse

>degree gets job
>job gets money
>money pays for shelter, food, supplies, ammo, training, weapons, tools, and everything you need to be self-suffifcient
working at target isnt going to cut it bud, sorry

Why would one have the possibility of civil unrest weigh on their college path? How legitimate or present is this concern? Is this lunacy or actually worth considering?

Attached: 1560231576217.jpg (960x960, 169K)

industrial engineering

Yes work as a farmer. People who take in money from doing absolute shit nothing because they are subsidized white nigger expecting handouts.

>degree gets job
tell that to the nuclear engineers and people with very respectable degrees working minimum wage jobs with zero barrier of entry because they don't have any experience and the field they studied isn't hiring anyone

>degree gets job
Not always
>job gets money
Yes, but now you have loads of student debt to pay off.
>money pays for shelter, food, supplies, ammo, training, weapons, tools, and everything you need to be self-suffifcient.
Kinda sounds like you're not really be self sufficient if you need a job for all that, when your lifestyle hobbies and interests can pay for that shit too.
>working at target isnt going to cut it bud, sorry
Plenty of well paying jobs that require no degree, still pay over 20 bucks an hour are out there. Which is funny, cause all my friends who went to school for degree in medicine (Pharmacist) engineering (Friend works for the state doing blue prints and shit for roads), etc, are all broke as fuck, going back to school cause they need to constantly continue their shit, or their degree really doesn't hold any value like it did a few years prior. Go become a Sparky if any thing, or a plumber, learn a trade that'll help more in a shtf situation than your gender studies degree.

explosive engineering

Go to a fucking technical school and get real skills while also being able to make money

I'm doing medical shit. Okay money, there's plenty of jobs, I figure that the skills and experience gained from that is something you wouldn't want to gain from the trail and error type of hobbyism that comes from reading infographic.pngs from here.

Sounds like gender studies would suit you best

Kike detected

Engineering. Do ROTC while in college and continue into OCS if you actually want to learn these skills. If you're just daydreaming then it doesn't matter what you do

Business. Persuasion and manipulation skills would be the most valuable during societal breakdown. Unless you're talking about a meme zombie apocalypse fantasy, in which case it would be 80% social skills and 20% survival skills.

Don't hate the players, hate the game. Truly free market economics in farming means cities will starve, so the elected officials have a vested interest in keeping their captive markets fed and voting for them.

2/3 of your college "educution" will be spent doing useless gen-ed to make you more "well rounded."
Undergrad is a meme designed to make people invested in the system. And that's coming from a humanities major who works in light industry.

It is summerfaggotry, note all the underage retards whining about how bad college is, despite having zero idea about why people with degrees actually fail.

Go to tech school and become a machinist or industrial tech. It costs very little and you can make 40k in a few years

Electrical engineering, so you know how to build electrical generators and power distribution systems from salvage, or medical training.
These are the most useful skills post collapse that require significant education prior.
Farming is of course a high priority but you probably can’t learn non industrial organic farming at college.
Electricity makes so many amazing things possible that we take for granted and almost nobody in the general population understands how it works. Being able to break down scrap machines and harvest the electrical components to build new equipment will make you very valuable.

you go to college to get a fucking degree. SHTF/societal breakdown is going to be on you being not retarded and that comes on you doing your homework. not something school will teach you.
go to college for a degree you want regardless of it helping you survive your fictional shtf.
look at all of these faggots.
>muh debt
how much debt is a lot to you? you can literally go to ivy league and if you're a poorfag walk out without any debt.
otherwise state institutions are usually ~10k a year without scholarships or school aid.
>muh useless degree
don't get one of those then.

notice that none of these people who post on this chinese basket weaving forum are all that successful. it's likely they are wagies or work in a trade. such as welding. which is great but even an experienced welder will tell you you can't do that shit forever and it's hard on you.

there is nothing wrong with a degree and it definitely increases your pay ceiling while providing a good network.

if you don't want to get a degree, that's fine, but don't be an absolute faggot who thinks every degree is liberal arts. engineers, scientists, developers, and business leaders typically have degrees. the few who don't were already exceptional in their fields but their friends who helped them get going were from the same schools they dropped out of and so they benefited from the networking they did.

yeah electrical engineering and pretty much every type of engineering will help you in catastrophic events be vastly more useful than some hvac guys when no one cares about hvac because they just want reliable, clean water or the ability to make hot meals again.

>Farming is of course a high priority but you probably can’t learn non industrial organic farming at college.
Permaculture is most definitely being taught and studied at agricultural schools.

HVAC or electrician or any kind of tradie who works with electrical or refrigeration will be of some use, depending on the level of theoretical knowledge they have on the subject, assuming they’re at all intelligent and aren’t just a “ I learned by doing it over and over, all I know is this wire goes here and that goes there” type, which are unfortunately many of them. However even a smart tradie won’t really know how to build a 3 phase generator and transformers and rectifiers and all the rest that makes a basic grid possible. Stable electrical system is required for refrigeration which massively changed the way we deal with food, and of course medical technology both the production of medicines and practice of medical care requires electricity to function above a late 1800s level.

Yeah that’s true, but unless user specifically went to a college known for its permaculture program it probably isn’t available everywhere.

There’s a good number of successful adults on this board. We just don’t brag about it unnecessarily.
Of course we are vastly outnumbered by loser neets and kids, but we exist.
I don’t have a college degree but I have very valuable certifications that allow me to work in a highly regulated industry.
Young people can get a degree in my career field and graduate at 22 and make 80k in their 1st year and 100k after that, topping out above 250 if they are really motivated.
The problem with young people and useless degrees is they didn’t look at college as an economic decision, mostly chose education for emotional reasons. Before embarking on any degree program one must examine the job prospects after graduation. Is there projected to be a demand for this skill set? What is the average pay?
If there’s no demand, there will be no jobs and low pay for what does exist.
That’s why there’s a generation of liberal arts degree holders working as baristas - they have no economic value and didn’t think about that on the way through school.

Personally I do a chemistry bachelor and I will try getting a place in the national military medic school. Hope I will be taken.

What do yall think about forestry as a degree?

C O P E
O
P
E

Agriculture/botany.

I think that would be very useful and satisfying as a career choice. I saw some reality show about being a game warden in Maine. I don't know how much was tv drama bullshit, but it seemed like it would be a very Jow Forums line of work. Also, moose hunting seems pretty dope. Getting paid to do outdoors stuff is where it's at.

Underwater Basket Weaving and 8th Century African Art

>agriculture/botany
>medical shit like nursing

Trades
I'm doing plumbing because I got family in it already. But you could do glass, carpentry, machining, masonry, etc. It's not pretty work but it makes money.

While you arent wrong, I find your detachment from college is evident in your analysis of why it fails people. It is even worse than you think. Far too many hopefuls see college nothing more than a certificate for a free job that they can get while having fun. They dont take it seriously. They dont see it as a tool to gain them access to careers they'd otherwise be locked out from. What you describe are the shortcomings of those who see college as a means of employment, but many students arent even at that stage. It is disgusting because these people drive the price up for everyone.

Nursing has little use in SHTF, if there's no supplies and no dr to tell them what to do.

>cause all my friends who went to school for degree in medicine (Pharmacist)
A degree in pharmacology is not a degree in medicine. Retard confirmed.

The problem with this is Confirmation Bias- for every person who makes it and never went to school, there's 10-20 people who work minimum wage, are homeless, or are generally unsuccessful in life. College is about two things
> Learning a skill and/or trade well enough to have value to others
> Networking with other people to make sure you have a leg up in opportunities down the road- Friends, acquaintances, and others *WILL* help you get work down the road, and possibly open up other opportunities you get from interacting with others (relationships, weddings, etc.)
The later is actually more important than the former, if you have middling grades but are easy to work with, people will still hire you. No-college is a cope, and given the amount of scholarships out there the cost can be next to nothing; especially at trade/tech colleges.
It's a combination of factors, High Schools stopped preparing students as well, due to state / national testing requirements- if their students sucked (too many minorities, or countless other things outside their control), they literally would lose funding until the issue was 'fixed'- which meant ONLY focusing on those things that would get their numbers up, and pass tests better. This meant no more shop class, no more trade classes; just the most boring and cheap classes for 8 hours a day, if you were in a poorer school district.

t. forklift operator

Look at the job prospects. My gut says they aren’t good.
I know a 22 year old who got a degree in marine biology and then realized his only jobs were entry level assistant work for university or government research programs and his career field was one of poverty and grant groveling. He’s trying to get into my industry now.

RN,EMS,EMT

although the latter two doesn't require any college.

Attached: 1543592782088.jpg (640x630, 218K)

>Kinda sounds like you're not really be self sufficient if you need a job for all that
youre a fucking retard. you have to work for some period of your life, you aren't just going to pull money out of your ass. don't fucking reply to me if youre just going to spew shit out of your mouth you sperg

>It's a combination of factors, High Schools stopped preparing students as well, due to state / national testing requirements- if their students sucked (too many minorities, or countless other things outside their control), they literally would lose funding until the issue was 'fixed'- which meant ONLY focusing on those things that would get their numbers up, and pass tests better. This meant no more shop class, no more trade classes; just the most boring and cheap classes for 8 hours a day, if you were in a poorer school district.

That is so depressing to hear.

Join the United States Marine Corps

Attached: 1451529069834.jpg (2040x1482, 442K)

>waste my life in a sandbox for the Goldsteins
no thanks

This, rural areas are safer

What makes your life so fucking special? Goddamn narcissists I swear.

Not him, but I have enough brains to understand that some things in life aren't worth dying over and fighting a proxy war in a sandbox is one of them.

>Medical
>Engineering (electrical/mechanical)
>Trade

Attached: 1560658866646.jpg (640x853, 142K)

I am an ER nurse.
You have no idea.

Imagine being this retarded, and coping this hard with an underwater basket weaving degree and hundreds of thousands of dollars of crippling debt.

>medical training has little use in SHTF
Are you high or just stupid?

Attached: 1563023539108.jpg (1000x1002, 170K)