Other than rust what are actual problems with 870's?

Other than rust what are actual problems with 870's?

Attached: download (23).jpg (225x225, 4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5mLL50cu40U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Other than the new shit they're fine.

Sometimes on the cheaper ones, you may find a burr. I saw a post somewhere about a metal burr blocking shells in the tube. This would be fixed for free, but is inconvenient. I've also heard that the wingmaster 870s have more attention to detail, I'm not sure about the Express magnum or anything. I was raised a Remington fanboy, but had only ever really used old Remington products for a long time. My brother has an 870 that is very nice, but I would still probably buy a new mossberg nowadays given the choice just to avoid any potential problems. Makes me sad really. Can't even bring myself to buy an rm380 as a pocket pistol

Shitty pot metal ejector that's riveted in and not user serviceable and a shell elevator that can royally jam the whole action if a shell comes out at the wrong time. Other than that, just watch out for post mid-2000s Remingtons (circa Freedom Group buyout).
youtube.com/watch?v=5mLL50cu40U

My brother's 870 that I think is nice is a newer one btw

I just recently bought a used 870 with magpul furniture for $330 so thank you for the advice. Also, did I pay too much? It's my first gun so I didnt really know what to look for. Plus I live in Illinois so all the mossbergs at my LGS were set up for hunting so they could only carry 3 rounds. Hence why I bought an 870.

No, that is not a bad price for a used 870.
Did it come with the old furniture? Probably not, but it'd be cool if it did.
Do you know how old it is? You can call Remington on Monday and give them the serial number, they can tell you the age. If it is new enough, you can figure it out online.

No it only came with the magpul furniture but it's nice furniture. It also has a rail for lights and stuff like that. I wont have it until Tuesday because of Illinois gay 72 hour waiting period but I'll definitely check how old it is then.

Also, would it be gay for me to but a forearm shell holder for larp purposes?

Yeah, just get a mag tube extension for it if it doesn't have one already. Can be kind of a pain to install on most newer 870s.
If you want to hold extra shells, get a side saddle. If you have a bump in the night you won't be reaching for the gun AND the forearm shell holder. You'll just be going for that gun. "You'll fight with what is on or in your gun." is kind of a rule in situations when you need your firearm.

Enjoy my 870 Police, you newly minted shotgunanon.

Attached: topfolder.jpg (2624x1136, 748K)

That seems like about what a local gun store would charge for one. I don't think it's too much. Sometimes you can grab like certain models at cabelas on sale for like $30 less, but I think it's worth it to find and support the gun store you find most helpful. If it fires the whole tube first go, it's probs a good one

some dumb control positions like safety & slide release positions. Ejector's a bitch.

There not dumb. It makes the 870 a better platform for a pistol grip vs the Mossman5. Both work just fine and you only need to rack that bitch when you load it. You're not going to need the action release a lot and when you do, you'll be fine. Safety is better for right handed people. There is at least one company that makes a safety for lefties.

slide release is meh, no big deal. mossberg safety positioning is much much better even as a righty especially in gloves BUT its a mossberg fit so that has its own issues.

The action sucks

I never really had a problem with the safety on my 870 while hunting with gloves on. I think it's more about what you're used to

I was gonna buy one more for range fun than HD stuff. I just like the idea of having rounds right there rather than rummaging around a dump pouch in a stressful situation. As for home defense I figured I wouldn't need more than the tube realistically.

They aren't entirely shit its just they are worse than the competition at the price.

It’s not nigger proof

I just got 2 from my uncle who recently passed away, does anyone have a rough cutoff for when I should be worried about quality?

10's

-poor QC
-bad finish
-weak extractors that straight up don't work with some brands of ammo
-cheap plastic parts
-weak firing pins that can break after several hundred rounds
-cheap furniture

Some parts are cheap but when dealing with sub 1k shotguns i don't think there is a better home defense shotgun than the 870

You got fucking raped on a used gun lol. My extractor is fucked.

Then you’ve never thought of a 590a1

Nothing in my experience, besides the fact that people own these things.

Attached: 253339E1-5F13-4430-A134-DF12E68D62C6.jpg (1350x700, 52K)

I've shot clays with a tac14, they're more effective than you'd think

Attached: hedgehog.jpg (640x640, 134K)

Interlocking is the occasional curse associated with 870s. My Super Mag has done it before. When ducks are flying, you don't want that.

Literally nothing. Keep it clean and it’ll last long enough for the next 200 years

>bought an 870 late last month
>was happy that i finally had a shotgun of my own
>didnt know anything bad about them
>come to Jow Forums
>now i live in a deep pit of despair

Be vigilant of these things, not scared of them. Warranties exist and parts can be purchased. Oil your gun. If a type of ammo fails to extract, stop using it. Avoid dry-firing it. If you find that, after shooting it extensively, you dislike the 870 then put it on Armslist with the other 10,000 870's and 500's that boomers are trying to ditch. The nice thing about shotguns is that most of the common ones are not expensive and the used ones are generally fine.