Can we talk about bullet types?

Can we talk about bullet types?
Hollowpoint, polymer tip, full metal jacket, boat tail, all this bullshit.
What's the "best"? Should civilians prioritize getting hollowpoints simply because the military would, except for one international rule?
What does a standard 55gr FMJ have that's better than a pic related option?

And this is all taking into the ideas of flesh or armored, what should I be prioritizing? Quality, quantity, novelty?

Attached: 989515[1].jpg (880x660, 67K)

Google is your friend.

This place has livelier discussion that's more up-to-date and easiest to have the largest variety of information. Either true or false. At an hours whim.
And, excuse my image. What would a 55gr VMAX lose over a 55gr Fullmetaljacket

There is no "best." It all depends on what you want to accomplish: long range, devastation against soft flesh, penetration, etc...

What is your intent?
If target shooting: target fmj
If expecting unarmored opponents: hollowpoint
If expecting armored opponents: AP

Seriously, there never is a "one size fits all" when it comes to firearms. The closest thing to that would be a "good enough for most" in which case : Basic Bitch FMJ

>What would a 55gr VMAX lose over a 55gr Fullmetaljacket
Penetration. A 55gr vmax is going to cause extreme wounding, but only penetrate about 6-7". They are designed to eradicated small pests. A 55gr FMJ, or most of its core at least, is going to penetrate about 12-14" in soft flesh.

I've simply come to the conclusion that since there is a military rule forbidding hollowpoints, I would assume that almost all bullets in the military today WOULD be if not for the rule.
Considering that being true or not, should civilians prioritize having their caches be hollowpoints?

There is no "best" it depends on what you're using it for.

FMJ for anyone with armor, hollow point for anyone not/hunting, boat tail refers to most rifle rounds that are intended to tumble, setting the center of gravity off, tl;dr causing the rear of the bullet to exit and the tip to enter.

For 300 yards and under, I really think M193 really is the best compromise. It penetrates well at short range. It causes very good wounding at about 150 yards and under (depending on barrel length), and flies pretty good out to 200-300 yards. I can easily put a 6" group on paper with only a 2.5x prism scope.

Not really, HPs suck at barrier penetration.

I'd mix it up.

A lot of gear queers have rifle plates, a lot of hajis don't, and infantry is just bait, so they buy the cheapest bullets; most kills are air/artillery.

No, militaries have different needs than your average civilian, therefore they will use different types of ammunition

Depends what you're doing.

>range- fmj for plinking and training. Match ammo for paper punching small groups
>self defense- soft point, open tip, polymer tip, fmj
>long range- heavier bullets with a high ballistic coefficient, match ammo basically

Could get more into detail. Just depends

>Considering that being true or not, should civilians prioritize having their caches be hollowpoints?
If you have the money, the 68/69 gr and 75/77gr of hollow points are great. I reload my own. I can reload 68gr Hornady BTHP Match bullets for about $.35 a round. I also have a bunch of M193 for another rifle. I feel warm and fuzzy with either. I think people are delusional thinking they are going to be in a gunfight with people wearing armor. In a SHTF scenario, you are not likely to encounter anyone wearing armor. Only a few larper faggots would actually run around wearing spec-ops gear.

So I have a lot of retarded military friends.

I have one that has shot a 45acp fmj through his floor(evicted no charges against him) and another one that shot a 9mm hollowpoint and it stopped in the floor. (I dug it up with him the next day and it stopped in plywood)

I literally can't make this up.

In my AR15 I have 556 greentips and 556 hollowpoints. Every other round.

Hollowpoints will do the damage and the green tips will do the penetration.

My CC 9mm is all hollowpoints. (also my home defense.)

Let's substitute armor for barrier punching, I could imagine a situation where I'm pinning someone down in a cookie cutter house and need penetration.
Standard FMJ is going to be the goto for that, and heavier right? Or will the steel core armor penetrators be the obvious choice?

If you want penetration, run M855. It's steel penetrator tip (not the entire core, most of it is lead), will penetrate better than M193 at slightly longer ranges. Problem is, M855 sucks for everything else: it doesn't fragment reliably and it's inaccurate as shit.

.223/5.56 is awful for penetration if that's your thing. Go .308 if you want penetration.

But if you think you are going to be "pinning" people down and shooting at them in a house, please kill yourself.

>But if you think you are going to be "pinning" people down and shooting at them in a house, please kill yourself.
Is that not a valid tactic for a boogaloo with marauders taking cover in the suburbs?

Fucking dumbass, green tips are literally worse than m193 at penetration

Stop helping cops bootlicker.

I think he's talking about hard barriers like concrete blocks/walls not level III plates to witch 193 is better.

I'm pretty new at the boogaloo research

I will look up the m193

I could be wrong