What the fuck was the point of the MIG-23?

What the fuck was the point of the MIG-23?

Attached: mig-23-red12_0.jpg (1260x823, 109K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/CIA-RDP84B00274R000300150009-5.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=fuswSMO15iQ
aviation-gb7.ru/MiG-23.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

what was the point of this shitty thread ameritoid

have food

kek

Attached: 1562637056811.jpg (450x667, 46K)

Attached: 1555853856085.jpg (256x256, 9K)

It was supposed to be a better MiG-21. It just turned out to not be that much better.

To look fucking badass.
Just look how it rides on tarmac, nose up because fuck you big engine.

Attached: East German MiG-23BN fighter.jpg (1000x656, 97K)

I'm stealing this.

Attached: MySides.png (1001x994, 1.68M)

It was mich better than MiG-21, MLD could easily stand up against 4th gen fighters. It was just too complicated to operate to achieve the same universal success MiG-21 had.

Okay but why

Like most Soviet fighters, it would probably be a fine aircraft on its own, but it simply couldn't compete with its contemporaries.

Attached: TalkToMeGoose.jpg (1600x1022, 275K)

Are you really accusing him of being a Burger? How rude.
cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/CIA-RDP84B00274R000300150009-5.pdf

Attached: 1313409.png (524x540, 233K)

owned

Attached: 1515235630617.jpg (642x648, 62K)

Underrated

>Burger
>Nickname for Americans is literally based on a fattening food
It's ok Ivan, we'd be calling y'all pirogis if Russia didn't have a long history of famine.

Because the MiG-21's shortcomings were painfully laid bare during the Six Day War and Vietnam. The 23 was supposed to be an F-111 style common service platform that could be adapted to air superiority and strike roles, which kinda-sorta happened with the 27.
Plus it was the 70s and you know how fucking cool swing wings are, everybody had to have one!

Except for that time then they actually met in an actual war and MiG-23 completely owned western junk.

Attached: LaughingToph.jpg (500x333, 39K)

If you didn't get it, the joke that burgers are unhealthy shit, thus "more is less".
>"Generally held nutritional standards suggest individuals need fewer calories, less meat, less sugar and more grain to stay fit."

Catch F-111s.

Attached: 0b1b.png (1039x593, 41K)

Attached: citation needed.jpg (3264x2448, 1.34M)

The fuck are you talking about? 2 Tomcats shot down 2 Floggers in the only engagement between the US and MiG-23s.

Attached: 1422360464004.jpg (890x1354, 782K)

Have food

lmao

>MLD could easily stand up against 4th gen fighters.
In acceleration? Sure.
Other than that, not so much.
There was a reason for the MiG-29 to be rushed to front line aviation even though the early models still had developmental issues when entering service.

Hahah, gosh darn! Have an upvote good sir!

Attached: Boogie2988newlook.jpg (1536x2048, 450K)

>responding to a clever post is unique to reddit

Seething hungry Russian

STARVING

>This is what amerisharts consider a clever post

Attached: 4.png (112x112, 17K)

Sorry
Is right. All the pictures he responded to were retarded reaction memes which weren't interesting or relevant

I said actual war.

In maneuverability, acceleration and BVR capabilities.

based?
youtube.com/watch?v=fuswSMO15iQ

it was decent frontline bomber but in bvr combat it was hopeless

STARVING

holy shit the contrariarism, the mig 23 just like the 21 had atrocious maneuverability in all aspects and had shitty aa missiles

The 23/27 was shit. But Tumanski R-29 was one of the strongest engines, perhaps the overall strongers, of its era.

Attached: yeet.png (493x276, 33K)

See:

PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!

See

Granted the R-24 was a great improvement over the lawndart R-23 but in both detection range and effective look down range the MiG-23 barely outperformed the F-4J with early generation AIM-7s.

I'm talking MLD, dumbass.
>contrarianism
Lol, contrary to what you might have been driven to believe the world doesn't rotate around American state damage control.

>clever

Attached: fncb.png (333x327, 59K)

Still not seeing a single source posted for your claims, slavtard.

To rectify some of the shortcomings of the MiG-21. Variable geometry wings greatly improved takeoff and landing characteristics while retaining Mach 2 capability. Another major improvement was the radome not having to be super cramped because of better engine placement.
>The main point was to have a Mach 2 interceptor that wasn't a pain in the ass when it was flying subsonic, which was 95% of the time.

To keep Soviet aerospace engineers employed.

>>The main point was to have a Mach 2 interceptor that wasn't a pain in the ass when it was flying subsonic, which was 95% of the time.
Pretty much this, also with the acceleration and look down/shoot down capability at low to medium altitude to be able to catch low flying supersonic strike fighters and bombers.

Attached: MiG-23ML CZ.jpg (1144x852, 300K)

For what "claims"? It is common knowledge that MiG-23 had exceptional acceleration, great BVR missiles years before F-16 got any whatsoever, and in MLD variant maneuverability to challenge 4th gen. Read a book.

Except what Phantom had for range Flogger had for combat radius.

>It is common knowledge that
Not a source
>MiG-23 had exceptional acceleration
I haven't disputed that
>great BVR missiles years before F-16 got any whatsoever
Because it wasn't designed for BVR to begin with.
>and in MLD variant maneuverability to challenge 4th gen.
[Citation needed]
>Read a book.
Well, if you could provide a pointer as to what book and what page this relevant information could be sourced that would indeed be a valid source.
But you didn't, and you won't, because as always you are pulling "facts" out of your ass.

Typical slavtard.

>you are now aware that Pakis in F-16s shot down multiple MiG-23s

Being target practice for Israeli's

>Israeli's
Israeli's what?

You kam start with Vladimir Ilyin, for instance.
aviation-gb7.ru/MiG-23.htm
But we both know that you are not too fond of reading in general and will keep shitposting and trolling instead of educating yourself, like an eternally uneducable breed that you are.

Sorry, Israeli pilot could not be reached for a comment.

Attached: IMG_0422.jpg (620x330, 85K)

>But we both know that you are not too fond of reading in general and will keep shitposting and trolling instead of educating yourself, like an eternally uneducable breed that you are.
Stop talking to the mirror.

>common knowledge

Attached: where does this food come from.png (846x1422, 1.24M)

See, as predicted you have deciddd to remain an uneducable breed.
>vice
Lol.

Attached: vatnik bingo.jpg (1024x1024, 205K)

Ah, so you managed to post a source at last.
It didn't hurt did it?
Maybe people wouldn't think you were such a insufferable cunt if you started with that rather than claiming that everything that fits your world view is "common knowledge" while everything else is "western propaganda".

Okay, and which “actual war” was this?

>.ru
Lol

I'll bite.
In the 1960's there were experiments by both MiG and Sukhoi in reducing landing and takeoff length. They both tried using dedicated lift engines, but the drawbacks outweighed the benefits. They then went for Variable Geometry wings, and this proved to be much better for what they wanted.

While this was going on new radars, fire control systems, and engines were being developed that were far in excess of what the then current generation of fighters had. The MiG-23 was developed to take advantage of both of these tracks of R&D. It was primarily an interceptor with a secondary ground attack capability. In a way it was the Soviet Union's equivalent to the F-4 Phantom, and was built in large numbers in the 1970's.

Attached: Heavy Rain.jpg (1280x800, 210K)

Attached: here.jpg (1260x823, 213K)

kek

Attached: 1345520657208.jpg (218x265, 21K)

cope more ahmed

Pilot didn't even die in that pic

Attached: weyyhuu.png (286x252, 12K)

you're not gonna win that argument m8, Israel bombs syria with impunity like every week.,

kek spbp

Attached: 1557043043576.gif (245x245, 726K)

This is more or less correct. The whole lift engine thing is really funny to me. The fact that someone saw the idea of a dedicated engine just for improving takeoff and landing performance as viable really shows how far aerodynamics as a field has progressed over the years.

Attached: kektus.jpg (298x200, 11K)

It's a pitot tube.

SWING
W
I
N
G

Attached: 1562551727435.jpg (1024x903, 70K)

Please post this on Jow Forums
The sugar part is correct though.

kek, comniggers eternally BTFO

sexy soviet planes thread?

Attached: goodwp.com_32026.jpg (3500x2189, 780K)

It was a great small interceptor that could do patroling missions quite well, also it had enough maneuverability to fuck f-4s and mirages.

spbp

Attached: 1563200887267.jpg (452x313, 48K)

spbp

Attached: IMG_E1183.jpg (640x352, 99K)

Attached: 1515671478914.jpg (543x1024, 90K)

I like the Mig23...it has a bad K/D ration but that doesn't mean it is necessary a piece of shit. It was given to all monkey tier armed forces also it mostly depends on the electronics.

I like it, why do you guys have to make me feel bad because I like a Mig23 ?
Is this like a homosexual feels like?
Now I feel bad for fags...I am sorry Op

Attached: Screenshot_2019-06-26-22-38-11-433_com.android.chrome.png (1440x720, 774K)

Russia didn't have famines, the Soyuz did. The region with the famine had been the breadbasket of Europe. Same thing with the Horn of Africa, which went Commie just before that whole "feed the starving Ethiopeans" craze.

Attached: 1548455162872m.jpg (685x1024, 97K)

MOOOOODS~
Iraqinigger is posting agaiin

Based

It's useless junk

Huh, almost like technology advanced in the time between when the two entered service, who would have thought?
Except for Soviet radar systems ofc, that still didn't match US 60s systems in capability until mid/late 70s.
Not to mention the firecontrol system for the R-23 was a lengthy mess of procedures and the missile had a very narrow launch and engagement envelope that made it practically useless in anything other than rear or frontal intercepts.

A plane doesn't have to be exceptional for someone to like it, it's my favorite aircraft of the Cold War as well, even if i can easily see the flaws from a todays perspective looking back.

Attached: My5iIb.jpg (680x1021, 153K)

Based

The Soviets were severely lagging behind in aircraft development during all of the 3rd-gen fighter era and the start of 4th-gen. The MiG-23 was their attempt to catch up to the technology and performance offered by the F-4 and mirror what they were starting to see out of the F-111.
For example, the MiG-23 used the Soviets' first operational pulse-Doppler radar, first implemented on the F-4J in 1968. The MiG-23 also incorporated variable-geometry wings, quite likely inspired by the F-111 but nevertheless a popular idea as the world transitioned to 4th-gen fighters.
Where the MiG-21 was arguably 2.5-gen as some models fell well short of certain 3rd-gen standards, the MiG-23 could be considered 3.5-gen as it did have advantages due to being a later aircraft, but clearly was not up to snuff with 4th-gens.

she blacked

Secret SRBM test system.

Attached: mig23ml-3.jpg (600x381, 38K)

derp. wrong image

Attached: mig-23crash_.jpg (620x330, 70K)

That was more like a secret UAV test.

Engines got more powerful and also computers got good enough to control the transition from vertical to horizontal flight. Thus the F-35 was born.

Fun fact: Warsaw-Pact pilots loved it, because it was miles ahead of the Mig-21MF/bis, and they had no idea how hopelessly outclassed they would have been against NATO F-16's. It had superior low-speed performance, and far better avionics than the late Mig-21's.

The two big wakeup calls for WP Mig-23 pilots where when they started doing mock dogfights with Soviet Mig-29 that was coming out of secrecy, and in 1990-91 when they started doing mutual visits with NATO squadrons equipped with F-16's, Tornados, and whatnot.

Source: an aviation magazine over here did a two-year long series of a Mig-23 pilot's memories from pilot training in 1976 till their retirement in 1996.

Attached: Hungarian_Air_Force_Mikoyan-Gurevich_MiG-23MF_Lofting-1.jpg (1600x1099, 1.01M)