What does Jow Forums think of USPSA and IPSC?

Is it good training/socialization? Does it have a positive effect in spreading gun safety awareness and introducing more people to competitive shooting? Has it really had a positive effect on gun ownership in Europe and Asia as some claim?

Attached: 5c5a82afae0756fccdfa02431192947b.png (605x495, 768K)

Other urls found in this thread:

loadoutroom.com/thearmsguide/frank-proctor-way-gun-talks-value-competition/
dreamofagun.wordpress.com/2013/06/21/competition-shooting-by-pat-mcnamara-alias-training/
youtube.com/watch?v=9dYa0fTN5Sc
thegunwriter.com/22547/qa-a-special-operations-legend-defines-real-world-firearms-training/
policeone.com/police-training/articles/189973006-Why-police-should-participate-in-competitive-shooting-sports/
medium.com/war-is-boring/top-army-marksman-explains-why-gun-nuts-shoot-better-469f8dfd917f
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

/k is too poor for competition shooting

how so? its fairly cheap to get started (good handgun, good production belt+mag pouches). the only expensive thing is ammo, but obv you aren't gonna shoot factory or high grade ammo while practicing, good ammo should be left for matches while shitty reloads are good for every week shooting. i see retards on here drop insane amounts of money on uniforms, night vis and other faggy shit that they will never benefit from. why is this all of a sudden expensive for Jow Forumsaggots?

there are maybe 35 people on /k with money
5 people parade off the guns their fathers money bought

rest is poor which you can see in every thread

you're probably right, provided most people on here don't work good jobs and are NEETs that leech off their parents and spend money on retarded shit like video games, alcohol, anime figurines and so on

Attached: 125mm_m88_apfsds_01.jpg (150x426, 8K)

so what do you want to know ?

>does it have a positive effect in spreading guns safety
yes it does

>introducing more people into competitive shooting
yes it does

>has it really had a positive effect on gun ownership in Europe and Asia
yes it does

>the only expensive thing is the thing that i need all the time.

Furthermore, entry fees can be in hundreds of dollars depending on the event. Driving expenses, and sometimes accommodation if its a two day even, witch is often. And finally, you will suck ass and be last if you don't practice regularly. And by practice, i mean in the same way that you would shoot at the comp, not static at your closest cheapest range available.

By all means, do it. Try it. But it will cost ya. Every bullseye shooter i met told me that the reason he is shooting boring bullseye comp, is because he had to drop out of IPSC due to cost.

Frank Proctor, Delta and USPSA Grand Master:
loadoutroom.com/thearmsguide/frank-proctor-way-gun-talks-value-competition/

Pat Mac, Delta:
dreamofagun.wordpress.com/2013/06/21/competition-shooting-by-pat-mcnamara-alias-training/

Kyle Lamb, Delta:
youtube.com/watch?v=9dYa0fTN5Sc
>38:00 - He gets into explaining why Competition is the best way to sharpen the skills you learn in Training. He thinks highly of 3-Gun Competition. Also said he's never been more nervous in his life, to include Combat, than he was during 3-Gun Nationals.

Bob Keller, Delta:
>Q: What are your thoughts on competitive shooting and training scars?
>A: “I have shot IPSC and USPSA matches. They can definitely be beneficial. If you are going to do that, I’d suggest you compete in the stock class. People who run unlimited or pro class — there’s a huge difference between those guns and your basic concealed-carry pistol. It’s hard to transition from one to the other. Shooting a match where you have to be safe, keep your muzzle downrange, safely moving and shooting and get good solid hits — these are all good habits. As long as you go into the competition with the mindset that all the targets are bad guys, and you use cover appropriately, you won’t go down the wrong road with these competitions.”
thegunwriter.com/22547/qa-a-special-operations-legend-defines-real-world-firearms-training/

Ron Avery:
policeone.com/police-training/articles/189973006-Why-police-should-participate-in-competitive-shooting-sports/

medium.com/war-is-boring/top-army-marksman-explains-why-gun-nuts-shoot-better-469f8dfd917f

Attached: Pat-Mac-Main-Pic.jpg (330x500, 35K)

Bump.

I'm doing a match next month. Friends got me to sign up. I checked and it says uspsa match, but was told it's an outlaw match. Don't exactly know what that means. 60 bucks plus 400 rounds. Gotta load my shit hotter than I usually do though. There's apparently no pf requirement aside from being able to knock down plates, which my bitch loads cant

It's really not that expensive to compete. This like bragging about owning a new Honda, except less impressive.

are you shooting IPSC/USPSA ?

That's hearsay, and it sounds like you havent done much at all.

Club matches average $20 around the whole country. I've done even $10-$15 club matches.

What you mentioned only applies to major title matches. That'd be like saying it's not worth joining the local softball league because I only do State level softball games.

Also, a lot of the movement practice can be done with dry fire. In fact 99% of practice in IPSC is done without even firing a shot because serious people dry fire all the time. If you have somewhere you can move, you can practice that movement. Even without a gun in hand.

it's hard getting to the competitions, the gear can be found cheap. The people and pace of the competitions can be very slow and annoying but if it was boiled down to just the sport (you get a lot more trigger time training than competing, so drills can be fun) then it's ok. It's definitely a net positive for firearms sports - a very legitimate and regulated organized sport with people in spandex helps the cause vs dickheads at gravel pits shooting fridges.

The benefits are there. People learn good safety and skills vs blasting in a gravel pit at rocks standing still.

It's cheap. The gear isnt expensive, nor are the match fees when you shoot local matches. The most expensive part is ammo consumption.

You have to check your ego. You're not shooting head to head with anyone in particular but at the end of the day, you check your scores and see where you stand against serious shooters who really know how to shoot well. Only then can you learn how to improve yourself if you evaluate the raw skill. Yes, there are some advantages to gear, but if you give a top competitive shooter a jennings/hi-point they'd still outshoot most people in the country.

checked

fucking wasted

Attached: 1550963422242.jpg (576x412, 145K)

No, admittedly just local competitions. I didn't read OP's title and thought we were just talking about competition shooting in general.

so what are those local competitions ?

Steel challenge, but I'm not a uspsa member, I just enter for fun.

At least you can check yourself against peak times on the steel challenge website.

You should really give uspsa a shot. Steel challenge will feel boring after you get into it.

My first match was steel challenge as well. Did it for a little while and then got into IDPA, then USPSA for the past 2.5 years. Knocking on the door of A class now after some serious practice.

I look back, and can see serious skill progression from when I first started.

and how much Steel Challenge do you shoot a year ?

IPSC and the like increase the number of child-seeking AR-15 missiles in Finland at least (because the law allows action shooting sports for now).
Swedefags might see IPSC get banned though

I'd like to, but it's a time issue. I'm working on a career move and once I'm in a new position I'll hopefully have more time. Thanks for the encouragement tho.

i'm actually going to sweden for the rifle tournament in august. serbfag here, been doing IPSC for two years now. it is the best way of practicing and getting experience, knowledge and such passed down to you from far more competent and better shooters than you. it's a humbling experience and it grounds you, showing you what you can and cannot really do. a lot of it is dry-repetitions, and then the occasional range/course time every week or so. also i agree with the user above, people wearing sports uniforms and treating it like a genuine sport helps the reputation a lot with normal fags. they actually learn to appreciate and respect the right to own guns after seeing that it's not just for school shooters. lots of boomers doing this gig here, few youth too. i don't come on Jow Forums very often anymore but it is nice to return and see a IPSC thread, its a breath of fresh air from the usual stale shit that goes on here.

Attached: 62060218_1313455392147974_5827789966586937344_o.jpg (1600x1068, 403K)

I'm just glad our Swedish neighbours still have their guns, even with all the cuck Communists around.
I'm personally aiming to do Finnish 3-gun instead of IPSC, because I want to wear camo instead of neon-colored spandex

i find it a bit LARPy truth be told, probably not a very popular belief on here but shooting for sports /fun with camo just makes you look like a tryhard. i understand if you are still in service or something similar to that, provided finland does mandatory service. but outside of that, as someone that interacts with normalfags and shoots with the IPSC crowd - people wearing camo are just looked at as tryhards or LARP children. to each their own though brother, as long as you feel that it is bettering your marksmanship and preparing you for whatever goal/task you have lined up before yourself. plus khakis and a shirt are hyper comfy tier.

you wait like 4 hours for 10 minutes of shooting

Outlaw match master race. IDPA and USPSA a shit.

I just don't want to be DQ'd for wearing my fudd camo cap or surp jacket. There's a separate class in our 3-gun for LARPers but I find the wannabe SEALs to be tacky as well.

This is correct. Been shooting uspsa for about s year and now B class in production.

Most matches at your local club are about 20-30 bucks. I have one range that only charges $10.

Level 2 matches are MUCH bigger and cost around $70-250 depending how many stages, how many days. What kind of prizes etc.

Dry fire will be your bread and butter for training. This is where you practice your draw, reloading, target acquisition, trigger pull, etc.

You can find some cheap but great gear on ebay that'll get you started. When I started I got some cheap belt that came with 4 mag pouches for 60 bucks.nice holsters are where you'll have to pay.

People don't give shit for caps and similar stuff. We had one guy roll up in multicam pants and a Crye G3, also multicam. No one told him off but everyone just looked at him weird, especially because he was barely over 20 and the uniform was sagging off of him cause he was a lanklet.

Attached: C3is500.jpg (1893x1511, 594K)

Yeah yeah, but it depends entirely on who's in charge. At least in our 3-gun nobody gives a shit because it's a reservist sport, some uniforms are expected.
I'm a neverserved (thanks, eye disease) so I'm not gonna put anything with M05 pattern on, just random surp because it's durable

bump

Frank proctor is awesome