Should I buy a .308 or 30-06 for my next hunting rifle? Hunting elk, Deer and Moose

Should I buy a .308 or 30-06 for my next hunting rifle? Hunting elk, Deer and Moose.
No particular price range.

Attached: Winchester-70-XTR-FWT-30.06-4.jpg (1556x1037, 700K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sGYF8DTLcj4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

.308 for cheaper plinking. It's hard to appreciate .30-06 if you're buying it in a one off new rifle and have nothing else in your collection to back it up.

What do you mean by this?

.270 Winchester is the only correct answer.

Nice rifle. I have a Model 70 too.

30-06 Pros and cons
+ Higher FPS (average 200) with the same bullet, can load slightly heavier projectiles, it isn't 1943 anymore. Even 220 grain flat nose bush rounds are possible.
+ bragging rights about muh 30-06 when arguing with fudds
- ammo cost, being on average at least ten cents more expensive than a comparable 308
- less available
- longer action means longer bolt throw and fewer actions to put the rifle in
- a bit more recoil than 308 considering you're adding around 10% more energy to each shot
- can only rebarrel to 270 or get another 30-06 barrel, because short action lol
t. man who shoots an m1 garand and 30-06 commercial rifle

Its expensive compared to .308 and unless you have an old heirloom rifle chambered in .30-06 or other guns chambered in it or reload you get the most bang for your buck out of .308.

>moose
Inb4 flame war about hunting with cartridges that are technically perfectly adequate, but marginal if your shot placement is less than perfect.

>can only rebarrel to 270 or get another 30-06 barrel, because long action only lol
fixed

Oh gotcha. I was leaning more towards the .308 but was worried about it not being enough for moose or elk.

Nah with the wonders of modern hunting bullets .308 is perfectly fine for big boys assuming you make a good shot and are confident in your shooting abilities. i.e. don't make a reaction shot at a patch of brown from beyond your comfortable shooting distance which is what you don't do in any hunting situation anyway so typing all this out is pointless and only fit for people who like to hear themselves talk.

This. With any game, learn the size of the kill zone, practice shooting targets that size at various distances, and do not take a shot on game beyond whatever distance you can hit 100%.

You only get that extra 200 if you're hand loading though. People never mention this

False.
Off the shelf ammo (think walmart) is a 150 grain bullet moving at 2900 fps or 3000 fps.
I have an old lot of Remington 180 grain soft points which chrono'd at 2730 fps.
Unless you have a really hot 308 load you aren't hitting that and that's not even as hot as 30-06 goes.

If you're gonna go with a 30 cal, go all the way: 300 Win Mag.

308 is a castrated 30-06.

8mm Mauser.

Wont that be too much for elk and deer?

You'll probably lose a little rib meat, sure.

Rather not.

Based and redpilled

I use a 300 Win Mag for elk and deer every year. I've never had problems with inflicting too much damage. Just don't shoot the backstraps, anons.

New hunter here, what are back straps?

Idiot.
I love shooting 30-06 because it's still easily manageable.
300 WM is not. Unless you brake it or add a suppressor its a wild beast.
Man does not need 300 WM for a deer.

30-06 for dat longboi goodness

>Can rebarrel to superior 35 Whelen or .280 Remington
Fixed

I'd say it's no big deal, but since you're hunting moose with it I'd go with the .30-06 for the realistically meaningless power increase...

butis correct too. .308 is a bit cheaper to shoot

.308 is one of the world's foremost elk cartridges

however, in the USA for elk hunting, it's often at TREMENDOUS distance. I don't know about the methods in europe, but in 'murica it'll typically be from one mountainside to another, so long range cartridges are used. most typical for elk are 7mm rem mag and .300 win mag.

really a .308 will drop an elk or moose, but moose are typically fairly close in brushes and woods or stuff, wheras elk tend to be round about halfway to china.

6.5x55 Swede

.308 is the civillian, higher pressure version of the 7.62 NATO round developed by the US military in the 1950's to match the ballistics of the .30-06 ammunition used at the time.

modern powders and chamber alloys have allowed the .30-06 to become more capable over time because of the larger cartridge case.

since .308 clearly won't get the job done, I'm sure you wouldn't mind being shot with it, because it's so weak and all.

youtube.com/watch?v=sGYF8DTLcj4

Isn’t .270 the greatest deer cartridge ever?

The straps of meat that flank each side of the spine of the animal. You don't want to hit those because they are delicious.

Except this user was responding to OP, who clearly said he was hunting elk and moose as well, not just deer. Don't get me wrong, I've seen people take large game with .243 and similar, but that extra power is nice for game as large as elk or moose.

More realistically probably just Deer Elk and Caribou. By the time I get enough money to make the trek to maine I'll have more than one to choose from.

Unfortunately ohio forbids using rifles to hunt with so I was gonna make a trip to kentucky where I hear is the best state in the east to hunt elk.

>since .308 clearly won't get the job done, I'm sure you wouldn't mind being shot with it, because it's so weak and all.
it's not like you're wrong, but this is such a shitty non-argument.

Let me help you all. What would you recommend for a new likely shitty hunter who has never made a long distance shot? You all might as well recommend glass also to this boy.

.308 was designed to match .30-06 but because of advancing technology and the .30-06's larger case capacity it has gotten slightly more powerful over the last 7 decades and you're retarded.

a .270 winchester.

Any Leupold 3-9x40
Vortex glass is not as clear at the same price

If you get a 308 you can shoot milsurp 762nato for cheap. There’s a plus

In sweden we use 6.5×55, a cartridge only used in swedish mausers and mauser-derived designs and from the relativley little I've read it is a way weaker cartridge compared to either .308 or 30-06 but it is still the most commonly used cartridge for elk hunting, I'd wager that even less powerfull cartridges could be used, shot placement is king, volume of fire queen and caliber jack.

I can speak more authority on common distance for hunting elk though. The test for hunting loicence requires you to hit vitals at 70 m on a moving target, a stationary grouping of a decimeter (5 shots) at the same distance and of the many hunters, young and old, that I've spoken to most would say that the maximum range that they feel comfortable with is around 200-300 meters.

you can rebarrel a long action to short action calibers but theres a few that dont feed as reliably. Just research what works best. 7-08 is known for being one of the shorts that get put in a long.
Theres the advantage of being able to fit longer short action cartridges than what would typically fit in a short action as well

.308 has no downsides of close range compared to .30-06. Actually the only upside is working the bolt, because 308 bolts are shorter than .30-06.

I prefer .243 or .270 for energy retention and coefficients. If you are hunting long range then there is no point in hunting clean, so likewise there is no point in needing a bullet that can travel only a few hundred meters more when almost all energy is spent. Then you have to track it down from that range, even if you do hit it.

Attached: 1454959285107.jpg (377x480, 44K)

That's massively retarded

Savage Hog Hunter in 308.

Necked cartridges are banned, but you can use straight walled rifle cartridges. Ie, 45-70.

What is your opinion on .300 Savage?
There are a few old Japanese rifles redone for the .300 and I am tempted. No idea how it stacks up.
Have a lot of heirloom reloading equipment for a .300 Savage too, so it's really fucking tempting.

How does one feel about 270 or 7mm-08

.308 for price and ammo choice, or .300winmag for higher velocity and heavier bullets, no point to the aught six really

Attached: 1109999_01_sealed_300_round_battle_pack_5_640.jpg (640x480, 53K)

Attached: wm_2713467.jpg (456x290, 21K)

I'll tell you what, my Grandpa has a sick ass Winchester model 70 (pre 64 which he makes sound like is the second coming of Christ) 7mm magnum that he swears by. I'm pretty sure if he was given the option between a LAW or his model 70 for taking out tanks he'd choose his model 70. I think you should get a 7mm magnum.

Could you at least read the post you're responding to?

Attached: 1547478709173.jpg (676x581, 54K)

30-06 has plentiful ish armor piercing rounds commercially available...I know this would effect my decision! .308 does not!

You can rebarrel to a few different magnum rounds if desired too

>since .308 clearly won't get the job done, I'm sure you wouldn't mind being shot with it, because it's so weak and all.
Same argument I see fat boomers at the gun shop make

Maybe if you don’t actually think about the specifics. The .30-06 can reach near-magnum velocities that the .308 CAN NOT do. The .308 is great, but the .30-06 is a better hunting and reloading cartridge. Plus extra case capacity means you can load heavier longer bullets without compressing your charges as much like the .308. Regarding the .300 WM, the belted design makes for brass that doesn’t last long and a short neck makes it difficult for longer heavier bullets and unnecessary amount of recoil because most of the time, you don’t need a .300WM. Plus most .30 caliber hunting bullets are designed around .30-06 speeds. Everyone doesn’t have to like the .30-06 but to be so blatantly retarded about it makes you look... well, retarded. .30-06 is still relevant whether Jow Forums faggots like it or not.

They both are better cartridges than their .30 cal parents in regards to hunting medium-large game. The .30s can carry more weight if necessary but the increased BC and SD of the smaller .277 and .284 bullets make for better external and terminal ballistics. Just need to handload to see the performance gain.

THIS!

This and
This

Not sure where you're shooting cariboobs, but up in Alaska 30-06 is plenty common for moose, though there's a crowd that insists you needed WSM or 338 for caribou for ballistics.

That being said, I met a real nice guy at the range who got a caribou with a moist nugget with irons.

2700 for 180 is pretty standard target .308 from where I'm from. Do factories not load to saami specs?

>.300 win mag is too much
I'm not trying to say it isn't stiff, but it's certainly still manageable. Are you sure you wouldn't rather be hunting with .223?

a 30-06 is minimum for moose

>Rather not.
Rib meat is kinda sucky

almost as hot as a 308

doesn't cook, has no smoker spotted

I don't think the modest increase in velocity and energy you can get from reloading 30-06 is worth the substantial cost investment when in the end, .308 is going to work just as well.

>t. let’s party like it’s 1959

Target shooters found that the increase in velocity made significant changes when past 1k-1100 yds. And that was modestly loaded .30-06. If the .30-06 had a proper 24”+ barrel instead of shit 22” barrels, it’s more apparent. Try getting a .308 to launch 180 grain bullets 2900fps without blowing out your primer pockets. Go ahead.

Also you get roughly 12 grains more capacity in .30-06 depending on brass. That’s pretty significant when you get to the only decently high BC .30 cal bullets (175gr and up)

And it’s not a substantial cost when you pay less than half for better quality ammunition for the rest of your life

This

>not knowing about advancements in powder technology

>met a real nice guy at the range who got a caribou with a moist nugget with irons
The Jow Forumsube is pleased.
Kinda figured, just wanted input from any old-timers or antique collecters about their own rifles and if they even stack up.

Attached: 1527707176081.jpg (596x393, 22K)

It has nothing to do with powder tech, it's just the max pressure of 30-06 is lower than .308. that's not to say you can't exceed it in strong actions, but you certainly won't be buying factory ammo that exceeds saami pressure

This is a pretty cope post right here

Norway is full of rich, moose-hunting rifle snobs, and they're all moving to 308Win. 30-06 just has too much recoil, too expensive, too much mest lost. .223 is the go-to for reindeer and other long-range rigs.

>Should I buy a .308 or 30-06 for my next hunting rifle? Hunting elk, Deer and Moose.No particular price range.

What are your other caliber options?

Get a 6.5x55 and enjoy easymode shooting at half the money. Ive taken loads of deer/fox/moose with it. A round of 6,5 is $2, a round of 308/30-06 is $4.

Dont know enough about the different ones.

Been going based on this guide.

Attached: cartridge_chart2.jpg (1250x1344, 301K)

Woah, did I miss something why the fuck is your 308 that expensive? Right now you can get federal, 180gr nosler partions in 308 for under 2 dollars a box. And normal bonded bullets for under a dollar for the 150gr ones. All similar loads of 6.5 swede are about 20 cents more a box.

Also while you can shoot a moose with 308, or 6.5swede you need to be fucking close. 300win mag and 7mm mag move you out a few hundred meters. And if you really want to take bull moose in deep timber, tracking em and taking running shots you need an ultra mag like 338 lapua, or 338 win mag.

For elk 300 win mag, is a little light.

>223 isn't sufficient for

I can reload 30-06 for my M1 for $9 a box with more expensive bullets.... the only m1 rated stuff in my local stores is $25 for 20rds. If you buy a new Hornady press set you can get a 500 bullet rebate which is worth about $135 when I paid $200 for the set

>no point to use the aught six really
Do you want to rethink the phrase of "no point" yet? Or did you forget about the history of 30-06 being quite capable in almost any realm of need.

>it'll work just as well
Man I feel like Paul Harrell during his vid of "just as good"

.308 won't be the same in any case against 30-06, stop spilling lies.
Realistically, the result differences would be negligible unless under extreme circumstances.

That's more like what your statement should have been.

When your saying ~$0.10 a round more we all know your talking about online buying. There isn't any need to mention lack of availability in that statement. Both rounds are plenty available today online.

As amazing as 8mm Mauser is, it's a bit pricier than .308

>old heirloom rifle
Or possibly anyone who ever bought a Garand, 1903, or a hunting rifle in 30-06.

30-06 would be my choice between the two.

^this if you reload
You can load it down to light 308 loads of up to full power grizzly loads. It can stabilize bullets from 125 (probably 110 actually) to 230gr (people say that a 1:10 will stabilize 240gr though) The versatility is ridiculous

Like everyone has already said, .308 is more available and a bit cheaper, but .30-06 is God's own chosen caliber. Nobody can make this decision for you.

30/06,bigger bullet options

whats the moa on those featherweights?

A reindeer with .223? I’ve had very mixed results on Axis deer with that round and .556 at 100-200 yards and those weigh 100 pounds less. Every shot was 100% fatal of varying degrees but the main problem was perfectly placed shots kept yawing inside the deer making not instantly fatal wounds but still fatal.

There is only a written test for a hunting license in the US, but safety and ethics are included in that. Running shots are discouraged. I would want to rig up some kind of target-rail system and practice on that before trying one in the field. Out West 200-300 meter shots are common, but in the East cover and geography are such that most shots are at or less than 100 meters. I would appreciate more formalized hunting training here in the US, but the culture is such that most people learn from their families. Not great for people with no family that hunt.

M2 ball spec .30-06 handloads ftw

>110, 125
How would be manage to fill the case at all?

30-06 is for bragging rights and fudd points, .308 is cheap, more practical, more common, etc. When SHTF, good luck with only the 30-06 rounds you own because you'd probably never find more.

And if it were wrong in anyway, you would’ve said so. But you chose to post something that made you look like a fag

30/06 is more versatile

>.556
Say goodbye to 3/4 of that deers torso, user