I'm reading a book about the Korea war, and the author quoted an American officer who...

I'm reading a book about the Korea war, and the author quoted an American officer who, shortly before they were attacked in an ambush by Chinese troops, thought he had heard quiet, faint music coming from a forest.
Apparently the Chinese used music as some sort of battlefield communication. It's never further explained how this worked and how exactly they did it, and I can't even find anything about it on the internet. Anyone ever heard anything about this?

Book is The Coldest Winter - America in the Korea war by David Halberstam

Attached: 1562869059357.jpg (750x750, 64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UctriMuXYS0
armyhistory.org/trophy-of-war-korean-war-bugle/
northcountrypublicradio.org/news/story/34606/20170905/the-rock-of-somalia-black-humor-from-a-fort-drum-aid-mission-that-turned-to-combat
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>the Chinese used music as some sort of battlefield communication
they didn't have proper radios

horns and drums. chicoms used it for communication, and also horrifying enemy.
imagine misty dawn, no light, you hear several shadows speaking ching chong, suddenly sound of horn flows, shadows rush into you.
that would be scary.

why not wear spooky halloween masks? imagine misty dawn, no light, suddenly sound of horn flows, shadows rush into you, and they are wearing freddy krueger and chewbacca masks
that would be scary.

>imagine misty dawn, no light, you hear several shadows speaking ching chong, suddenly sound of horn flows, shadows rush into you.
erotic

most chicom fighters in korean war were actually ethnic korean immigrantswhomovedtoandsettledin China. they obeyed Maosim. they also used korean traditional instruments.

Attached: 8015c78d5d6a39969f4ab4ed4703ffd4efc6149fe4f003dfdcb1fe426f347d1561d805dad617474212b6a9bee44a0874a750 (550x550, 33K)

That rock is far more interesting than militarized chink orchestras

>*ethnic korean immigrants who moved to and settled in

Yeah, I want to know more about the rock.

everything that's there to know about the rock is on the rock, brainlets

and also, this.

Attached: download.jpeg.jpg (460x330, 29K)

OP here, what confused me was that he didn't say he heard horns or trumpets or whatever, he said "quiet music". Like, they weren't just giving a signal with a trumpet, they were playing Kenny G or something.

>most chicom fighters in korean war were actually ethnic korean immigrantswhomovedtoandsettledin China
not even close

maybe this? since Chǔ age, chinese army traditionally used pipe to cause enemy depression.

Attached: bamboo_flute_2.jpg (561x320, 26K)

We want more about the rock dickhead

fuck you asshole, you don't talk to me like that

sorry, i mean it was early period of war.
1950~51.
6,5000 people of chinese volunteers were manchuria living korean commies

summer larks me hard.

Could be this one, played on whatever instruments were available.

youtube.com/watch?v=UctriMuXYS0

I always wondered what kind of communication equipment chinks used in that era.Maybe commie donations and jap leftovers?

yes. mostly japs left over and american donation.
soviet didn't give them much.

That was also in the book, Stalin refused giving weapons and equipment directly to the Chinese.

When the Soviets started supplying the Koreans, they chose the more expensive and time intensive way to ship them by sea instead of the fast train routes through China, because they feared that the Chinese could stop the trains and take the weapons for themselves.

It sounds almost same when they were supporting NVA.
Soviet chose long sea route even though they could use faster land routes.

Please expand on the rock thank you

Attached: FortDrumrock.jpg (1400x918, 240K)

Did they use whistles too, or was that more of a VC thing?

Attached: chinese bugler 1.jpg (550x367, 32K)

I found this too, along with its story. Neat. Wonder how many knows the place "Outpost Harry" today?

armyhistory.org/trophy-of-war-korean-war-bugle/

Attached: chinese korean war bugle.jpg (1920x1083, 157K)

I need a fucking reliable source on what exactly they did with those, did they play melodies? That would explain why it's described as "music", and not just a trumpet sound

thx for the link

Since OP is a dumb cunt, I did some research on my own

northcountrypublicradio.org/news/story/34606/20170905/the-rock-of-somalia-black-humor-from-a-fort-drum-aid-mission-that-turned-to-combat

>hen troops from the U.S. Army's 10th Mountain Division entered Somalia in early December 1992 as a part of Operation Restore Hope, they were met with smiles. By the following summer, however, the Somalis stopped smiling and began throwing rocks at their Humvees.

>One rock that damaged a Humvee windshield was saved by an Army soldier and donated to the 10th Mountain Division and Fort Drum Museum. It's called the "Rock of Somalia."

>"It is just a rock," said museum Curator Kent Bolke. "A geologist could tell you more about it. There is truly nothing special about this rock — until you look at the file label that is taped to the rock."

don't call me dumb cunt asshole, you don't talk to me like that. fucking daft cunt

but thx for the link

The rock talks, or we keep talking shit.
Cunt.

Bugle calls are pretty amazing.
Revillie, The Call to Post, and TAPS are all bugle calls that everybody knows.

>he didn't say he heard horns or trumpets or whatever, he said "quiet music"

OP is functionally retarded. He heard some squint blowing a bugle melody to signal an attack, not just a horn noise.

Yes, I am. But it wasn't an attack signal, as it was some time before the attack. It was Chinese troops communicating from position to position.

>It wasn't an attack signal

Then it was matching orders or the like