Sup Jow Forums

sup Jow Forums
i'm thinking about making my first purchase for general home defense, but don't have a lot of money
i'm looking at pic related rn as a simple and cheap option, but i've heard mixed recommendations the bulk of which point to getting a pistol instead. i've been to the range a couple times before and can handle whatever kickback a 12ga will give. should i do it or save up for a good pistol?

Attached: madeinmexicolol.jpg (800x800, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/220974
sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/220976
sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/161004
sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/161729
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Either one is a good option.

I'd buy the handgun first, since you can carry that nearly anywhere if need be. The shotgun will only protect you at home or innawoods sort of situations.

If you were more interested in hunting than self-defense I'd advise the shotgun due to its flexibility.

pistol serves as a portable option and you can get a shotgun for home defense down the line; save a for a decent budget 9mm if you are worried about cost

I have a Maverick 88 and I'm very happy with it. I'd recommend getting the version with the 6 round tube if you want to swap barrels. I got the 8 round tube with a 20 inch barrel and the alternate barrels are all made to work with 6 round tubes. A 12 gauge shotgun is a good gun to have around both for hunting and defense.

Maverick 88 squadddddd.

Attached: 20190704_193742.jpg (4032x3024, 3.97M)

Obviously you should start with a 16” barrel PSA Freedom AR. But if that’s not for you.....
I assume you are moderately poorfag or at least wagecuck if you have to save up.
In that case i would check out Ruger Security 9, Walther Creed, Walther PPS M2 and the Taurus G2C
Get whatever floats your boat.
Then I would move on to the Mav88 Field/Security Combo OR a secondhand/pawn shop Marlin 336.
Get one and then the other.
Then grab a Marlin 795 to round out your collection.

The Mav88 isn’t a bad gun at all, double so if you’re strapped for cash. But generally in a home defense situation a pistol is a better choice, if only due to the size, but the 88 can still serve that purpose as well.

Mav 88.

How much money is not a lot? On the low end of guns, every little bit adds more and better options.

The 12 gauge isn't a bad choice. You can hunt all North American game animals with it and it's adequate for home defense. And if you like guns, you'll eventually get one. If you're considering carrying, I'd recommend a surplus Cz82. Low price, reliable, reasonable capacity, and won't depreciate so when you want to trade up it'll be a useful barter good. Try Armslist, on a low budget no sales tax or background check fee makes a big difference.

Yes, it's the best cost:value option for HD. You will load buckshot in it. Buckshot has more recoil than what you probably shot but hopefully you'll only need one shot. Buckshot fucks shit up. If you get one then store it in cruiser condition.

Load it with 2 birdshot rounds first. Rack the shotgun to load the first round. This will scare half of all criminals into running. Fire the first two rounds into the air to deter another 25%. The remaining 25% of hardened criminals should be shot center mass. If the gunshot throws them out a window make sure to drag the body back indoors before you call the cops.

really looking to stay under $250
checking all this out, thank you, and thanks everyone for replying

I'd say to make sure whichever shotgun you get is drop safe. You'll want to keep your HD gun loaded. I'd personally go with a full sized pistol since if an intruder grapples with you, or injures you, you can still operate it with a single hand. Plus, it's easier to move around the house without knocking into something and drawing attention. Not to mention if you miss, follow up is easier. If you go for a handgun, pick one that's big and heavy, a 9mm in a heavy handgun is very controllable. Compact handguns with polymer/aluminum frames are good for carry, but for a HD gun go heavy.

Spend the rest on ammo, maybe a spare mag

sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/220974

Attached: Screenshot_20190717-180209.jpg (1080x2160, 980K)

sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/220976
Fair condition for $179

sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/161004
Little more expensive but a solid gun for the price

Attached: Screenshot_20190717-180914__01.jpg (1080x1839, 463K)

>Ruger P8x series
>solid
Understatement of the year

Right, those things are built like a tank. Personally with OPs budget it would be my choice.

sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/161729
An option if OP plans to mount a weapons light

Attached: Screenshot_20190717-181129__01.jpg (1080x1643, 464K)

A P89 is what I used to use for introducing new shooters to handguns because it’s recoil is so mild it’s almost comical

Makes sense, 4.5 inch barrel, and weighs 32oz. Wouldn't be my first choice for a carry gun, but seems like an excellent choice for OP as a bedside gun. Good capacity, controllable recoil, manual safety, common and cheap caliber, and near indestructible. Don't think he could do much better for under $250.

The Maverick 88 with short and long barrels is one of the very best investments a noguns can make. I've seen deals at Big 5 for about $220 before, and Big 5 is usually a joke. Along with a semi auto .22 rifle and a handgun of choice, a noguns can be a has guns for less than $1,000 with ammo, cleaning/maintenance supplies and inexpensive cases and holsters. With a handgun, shotgun, and a .22lr, 90% of security, home protection, hunting, self-defense, and hobby shooting are taken care of. Just don't pay a fortune for your first handgun, learn and shoot a cheapie before you invest bank on something that looks cool, or is supposed to be the gun of the future. Hang out at a range, take a hunter safety class or a concealed carry class, and watch safety protocol and what people are carrying and shooting.

Shotguns are cool but I think they can be a little much indoors for poorfags living 4 to an apartment.

Are you on the east coast near PA/Delaware? i have a Mossberg 500 that I want to sell so I can get a lefty model. Comes with a new 18.5in barrel, original 22in barrel, and a new shell spring. Hasn't been up my butt or anything, promise

Get the mav 88 with both barrels and for familiarity of the shotgun go trap shooting at your local range.

It's tons of fun, you'll get to know how to use the shotgun, and when you get enough coin for a tactical shotgun course you won't be afraid of the shotgun.

(take the tactical shotgun course...confidence in your chosen weapon of self defence is paramount.)

there's no reason to have the longer barrel. you can shoot trap with an 18.5