Sporterized Milsurp Hate Thread

Why do people do this? It takes away the original beauty of the milsurp rifle victim. These rifles were made for hunting men, not deer.

Attached: hg.jpg (373x135, 4K)

Milsurp also used to be as common as dirt, and just as cheap. I remember walking into my lgs in the 70s and seeing barrels full of milsurp rifles at the end of each aisle. They were sorted by country of origin, prices started at around $40. Meanwhile, the civilian hunting rifles were racked behind the counter and started at $100. It was a no brainer- spend $100, or spend $40, plus another $25 to have it sporterized, plus $10 for a crate of ammo. Which would you do?

Time passes and attitudes change. Some people just can't seem to wrap their heads around that and judge every sporter as if it were just done yesterday.

Attached: M1917_R2_G.jpg (1600x484, 778K)

This. Back in the milsurp glory days nobody gave a fuck about their historical value. They were cheap and plentiful, so people modified them for personal reasons the same way that people customize anything else, as well as for practical reasons.

>Time passes and attitudes change.
Yep.
I remember browsing shops looking for NES cartridges as a kid. I'd dig through boxes and crates of old used carts looking for whatever new game was popular at the time. Of course the new trendy games were never in the cheap used bins, but the shit I did see there--which I thought was so lame I wouldn't even pay $5 for--are currently selling for hundreds if not thousands of dollars to collectors.

When my father got married he sold his old guitar for the equivalent of $200. We estimate that if he still had it today it'd have been worth about 300 grand.

Times change.

>in the 70's
fuck outta here boomer

>Back in the milsurp glory days nobody gave a fuck about their historical value.
I disagree; lots of people did but they had much supply and less competition for the stuff they considered historically-valuable. Compare it to the recent resurgence of interest in "retro" AR15 models/derivatives.

Several of the big collectors I'm acquainted with (guys now in their late 60s/ early 70s) got their start buying common 'surps in the 1960s via mail-order.

Attached: YeOldHunter_ARmar1962.jpg (1478x1034, 358K)

I'm working on restoring one right now. Getting the parts together. Just need the forend.

Attached: HPIM2936.jpg (3264x2448, 3.5M)

Perhaps it was excess hyperbole for me to say that "nobody" gave a fuck about historical value. Sure, there were collectors then too, but they were a minority of customers looking to buy milsurps. Most milsurp buyers were not collectors, they were hunters and shooters who wanted an inexpensive firearm.

You triggered, zoomer? You sound triggered. You need a hug, or a safe space?

Boomers

>OMFG ARE YOU TRIGGERED??????
cringe and triggered yourself

Someone sell me an 1898 Krag stock

Attached: 2A2B4E1E-92B3-446D-94D1-EAFB93663061.jpg (1024x768, 187K)

One example that is identical to the ten cajillion other examples, is not “historical”

Man, that's a primo boomer response

>When my father got married he sold his old guitar for the equivalent of $200. We estimate that if he still had it today it'd have been worth about 300 grand.
[X]

>get irrationally mad that someone literally just mentioned the '70s
>get laughed at for acting triggered
HURRHUR BOOMER

Attached: 1560510843159.png (590x590, 751K)

The boomer is incapable of self reflection

Same thing with old cars, they got beat to shit and crushed and now odd models can be worth a couple hundred grand.

Full length? Good luck. Keep an eye out for a shortened one. You can still get a replacement forend and the top bands are still available but pricey. Splicing in a new forend is fairly easy if you have any woodworking skills at all.

This.

Also, how the fuck old are you, and when did you start shitposting here?

You sound like you unironically post on Zero Hedge

This. In Australia prior to the gun laws I remember local army disposal out let's would have a back room literally full of 44 gallon drums with everything from SKS rifles Lee Enfields k98s mosins aks ar15s m1 carbines fals....it was honestly ironic how the front of the store had guns that were like Winchesters and other new bolt action and lever action guns. It was like oh he is going into the back room....he must be poor... I can still remember seeing staff help customers wheeling out crates of guns and helping the customer load them into their utes.....it honestly hurt's to look back and remember how good it was back in those days.

Just a couple of months ago in NZ you could walk into a gun store and buy a crate of 20 Norinco SKS's for like 9k

Welp, I’m a boomer. Ya gonna have to expect some boomerposting from my generation. Say, while I got ya here- my back is acting up a little. If I give you 5 bucks, you think you could cut the yard for me?

I’m 60, came here in 2013 or thereabouts.

The only place I post, unironically or otherwise, is here. Memes to the contrary, most boomers are not much better off than the follow-on generations. Up to our ass in debt, looking at working into our 70s, have a pair of nearly decade-old cars, shitty house that was supposed to have been traded up 15 years ago, and stuck in a job we hate. And I’m still waiting for my white male privilege to kick in.