Best beginner rifle?

I'm going to give hunting a try. What's the best rifle to get started on? My friend has recommended the Ruger 10/22.

Attached: 1103.jpg (825x195, 27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=28702
youtube.co/watch?v=NCs1AJAa6Vs
youtube.com/watch?v=T4lxDIisTgo
youtube.com/watch?v=0AUldPdj9E4
youtube.com/watch?v=owKowHKhpxQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Ruger 10/22 is a good first if you're 12. Go with an AR15 or any .308

Mosin you pussy

That's the average age of users on this site so it sounds perfect

>Ruger 10/22

Attached: 1526691173001.jpg (616x478, 55K)

270 Winchester

mosin

What are you going to be hunting? 10/22 is fine for small game like squirrels or rabbits.

Small game.

Actually I'm only doing this because my daughter wants to learn to shoot, and she's 13, so the whole small dick compensation act isn't necessary

I've only shot handguns and shotguns but that was 10 years ago. Due to where I live I don't need one for protection.

10/22 is correct. You can leave it stock or aftermarket the fuck out of it. I have a nice milsurp collection, an AR and I still come back to my 10/22 and ruger standard. Good guns

If you're an adult there is no reason to limit yourself to a .22lr rifle to "learn" on. Get an AR15 and learn on that. For an adult, a .22lr rifle is for cheap shooting and fucking around with rather than a first rifle. Now is also the age of cheap AR15s so it's a good time to move on one, even a cheap piece of shit like a PSA will suit you well.

10/22 is the correct answer.

Even if you've got all the guns. Even if you're the most bad ass, big dicked, roided out, but also puppy saving, book reading, article publishing, PHD having mother fucker. I'm talking about the type of dude the pulls chicks WAY hard, but also rescues kittens without telling anyone because he doesn't need the praise. You be the type of guy who picks up your friends from the airport even though Uber/Lift are around now. We talkin 'bout the type of hero that pulls kittens out of trees while helping under-privileged youth's learn how to read better.

If you're that un-impeachable of a character, swinging the biggest D around, but you somehow DON'T have a 10/22... then you're a faggot.

Buy a 10/22.

Your daughter sounds hot what's her snap?

9mm carbine

>ammo is inexpensive
>no recoil, minimal muzzle blast
>still useful for self defense

Attached: 1498311813771.jpg (800x600, 216K)

10/22 is a good beginner rifle. Cheap caliber with no noticeable recoil, simple to use, has a decent after market, useful for hunting small game. Can’t really go wrong with it.

Look at .22s and see what you like.

10/22s have a massive aftermarket, which is nice because generally speaking they are mediocre as hell out of the box.

>Due to where I live I don't need one for protection.
Do you live in a military base? Because if not then you do need to be able to protect your family. The police can't help you if someone has already broken in.
But a .22 is fine for squirrels. A .20 gauge is a fine starter for shotgun. .410/.22 over under is fun for first timers. For bigger game .30-30 is good but there's no reason to not go straight to. 306.

I've never had one but I shot my friend's before. I just love how there is no recoil at all.

OK, newb question: why would I want a rifle which fires handgun ammo?

You literally replied to a post that had the pros. The things he listed are why you would want a rifle that fires handgun ammo.

For the love of god op, take advice from people like me, who actually teach people how to shoot. Not the Jow Forumsids on here. Just buy a 10/22 first. Learn the basics very well (proper sight picture, sight alignment, breathing control, trigger control) and every shooting position (sitting, kneeling, prone, standing). Have fun with family and make sure they learn, then move on to other guns.

Best advice.
op might want to bring his daughter and see what she likes.
AR style like the 15/22 are stupid easy to clean, for example.

OK I poorly phrased my post, you're right. I should've emphasized "rifle." That is, why wouldn't I buy a 9mm handgun separately if I'm going for the benefits he listed?

Thanks, this is basically what my dad's friend said (he's been a gun enthusiast his whole life, has about 60+ guns though he's an old man now and doesn't shoot much anymore).

Honestly anything that isn't a magnum is fine for learning to shoot. For hunting you might as well get the chambering you want to use and unless you're eating squirrels the 22lr isn't it. There are some more potent small calibers for hunting varmints than 22lr. If you go with a small round a Savage is a pretty good option. If you're just futzing around and target shooting get your 10/22 or whatever.

Rifles are totally different beasts. They are immensely easier to shoot and require a different set of skills. You cant get good at shooting a rifle by shooting a pistol.

I can get good at shooting hot loads into your mom

> starting with a rifle
Don't be a cuck, start with a pistol. 22 pistol is good for learning fundamentals. Pistols are more challenging and useful than rifles for civilians

Marlin Model 60 is pretty good imo

For small game and target shooting, the Ruger 10/22 is a pretty good choice.

Mind that though .22 Long Rifle may not seem loud to you, it still is, and continuous shooting without hearing protection WILL damage your hearing.
Though it's also not a powerhouse of a round, it can still also kill a human, especially with the added velocity of a rifle length barrel.

It's 2019, the Mosin Nagant hasn't been an appealing choice for a decade, because it was only good when it was stupid cheap.

>Due to where I live I don't need one for protection
That's a curious presumption to make.

300 win mag with no recoil pad you pussy

>hunting
Get an CZ 455 if you're gonna go hunting. The 10/22 is good for plinking around and having fun, but I wouldn't use it on something I intend to hit and kill. The 455 also got interchangeable barrel system so you can get an .22WMR barrel if you want something a bit more powerful.

Attached: CZ452%20American_zpsaekmavnj[1].jpg (1024x476, 60K)

The Ruger will be fine.

For a first gun nothing wrong with a bolt action. CZ 455, 452, or 457 are a whole lot of bang for the buck. Slick action, good trigger, good accuracy.

If you're looking for cheaper, then a savage bolt action 22. It won't feel as good but it will shoot straight.

If you want to just have fun with semi-auto plinking or blasting. Then really just take her to your local gun store when it's not busy and let her handle a ton of them. If one feels great to her, that's the one to get. Also have her try some of the Pistol Caliber Carbines. If one of those feels great then consider getting that instead of a 22 for blasting.

It's not that there's something wrong with the 10/22. But it's also not
>objectively the right answer

Shooting 9mm out of a 16 inch barrel is closer to shooting 357 magnum out of a 5 inch barrel or some fuddlore shit.
Its cheaper. Recoil impulse is low and being blowback makes maintenance slightly easier.
Cheap mags and you can buy remshit buckets of 200rnds for pennies a round.

10/22 is a perfect starter but if you want to be ultra practical, get an AR with a .22 conversion kit so you have a good training rifle and a practical rifle of killing things

10/22s are kind of a lowest common denominator answer. They're good, not great. But they are generally good enough IF what you want is a reliable semiauto with poorish sights that isn't the most accurate thing in the world.

A Marlin Model 60 or Model 795, CZ 455, Ruger American Rimfire, Savage Mark II, Ruger 10/22, or even a Marlin XT all would do fine as an introductory rifle. It will come down to what you want the rifle to do.

OP, go to Rimfire Central. Look around there and think about what your own wants and needs are.

Jow Forums is not the greatest place to ask a question like this, to be straight with you.

this dude knows what's up.

>bolt-action
>tube magazines
Unless he's looking to shoot tight groups, the 10/22 will be fine and perform far better.
If he doesn't like the sights there's a massive aftermarket for the thing, not to talk about lots of budget friendly optics.

>*perform far better in terms of fun
Is what I mean.
Bolt-action .22s are just not very fun.

Uzi
Nine Millimeter

(srs)

Attached: terminatorgun_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BquREeZ-GBcTWIfECfUrcy3SerQaxYudaoaalCV5OL7Tw[1].jpg (480x300, 15K)

>.22
honestly I feel like you would enjoy some kind of bolt action .223 more
if your kid turns out to be good and enjoys it they can get a lot more out of it

Get an Ar-15 and a .22 conversion kit. Enjoy cheap ammo until you are confident/bored enough to fire .223

Attached: 1457366623809.png (427x640, 463K)

if you’ll actually be hunting with or without her, .243 is a great light recoil hunting round that works well on deer and smaller

>10/22
is a good beginner rifle

recommended hunting rifle is
>.30-30
>.308/7.62
>.30-06
>.223/5.56
>12ga slug
>.357/.38

other rounds are viable but are best used for certain game.

.22 Lr is best for small game like raccoons, rabbit, quail, and squrrel

most of your 30 caliber rifle rounds are for like deer, boar, and elk

most of your .40 caliber rifle are for moose, elk, and bears

no one practically hunts with .50 BMG.

in your pistol calibers anything smaller than .30 is bassically small game

you can use .357 to hunt smaller medium game like white-tail deer and smaller boar.

I would consider using .500 nitro for hunting large game as a stopping round.

12 ga slugs move with only enough force to make them effective for larger medium game, but it has a shorter effective range compared to .308 or .30-06.

it is possible to kill and elephant with a .22lr but the chances of you hitting the sweet spot is nil as a new shooter.

so don't take a .22lr to hunt deer, I would recommend a .30-30 in thick forest or .30-06 if you are hunting on the plains.

tbqh most of these suggestions are overkill for a 13 year old, would not recommend OP. I was shooting .30-06 and 12ga when i was in high school and i was skinny fuck but most of these are not good to start with

For hunting? Eh... This is going to depend on what you're going to hunt. I'm going to assume deer at

>this

I'm gona get my sportshooting licencence in ,a month or two once I'm done moving and start my new job, as a baguette I do not have access to semiautos in the begening, I'm thinking about starting with a bolt action .22 to learn the basics of marksmanship, what model would Jow Forums recomend ?

Get a Marlin Model 60. Best squirrel rifle ever made.

savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=28702

Love my 10/22. Cheap 3-9x scope on it then I found out my state doesn't allow hunting with .22lr so now it's designated plinker. Feels bad, want to make rabbit hat.

It doesn't matter if you're 12, 22, or 52. If they're a new shooter you give them a 10/22 so they can learn to properly shoot. Both eyes open, squeeze don't yank or pull, no flinching.

>.22 conversion kit
they have shit accuracy
just get a fucking 10/22, they literally cost as much as a conversion kit anyways

Use the Aguila 60gr SSS ammo
It better matches AR twist rates than normie 22lr.

>bench the rifle on a rock/tree

you can shoot a rifle that is "too heavy" by using proper technique.

a lot of shooters talk about active shooting stances, but those are intended for follow up shots. there is a resting method used by precision shooters that will allow you to shoot very stable long shots and negate recoil.

>these are some methods you can use.
youtube.co/watch?v=NCs1AJAa6Vs

>active shooting (competitive speed shooting and combat shooting) has a different method because it focuses on follow up shots and quick reflexes. it tends to follow a deep lean and lock out method.

pistol method
youtube.com/watch?v=T4lxDIisTgo

Rifle
youtube.com/watch?v=0AUldPdj9E4

bonus:
one handed method vs active shooting method pistol/revolver
youtube.com/watch?v=owKowHKhpxQ

Attached: shooting postion.png (185x272, 10K)

everyone should have a 10/22.

>Ruger shareholder
But yes, everyone should.