Are ak’s worth it?

I only plan on owning one gun and although I love slavaboo shit, I can’t justify spending twice as much on a basic bitch ak than an at of similar quality. What are some selling points for ak’s? Is there a practical point to owning one other than ‘wow that’s kinda cool’
Regardless of what I pick my end goal is to shoot it a ton and take it to rifle classes

Attached: D4149ECC-5047-4FB1-BF2F-7F5081F36503.jpg (563x1000, 407K)

Shorter range, shoddier construction from US made,

I’m aware and that’s the issue
700 dollars for a baseline ok quality gun that won’t explode at some point

The recoil impulse is interesting compared to an AR. There's much more of a distinguishable back and forth movement of the bolt carrier.
Don't know if that's really a selling point but I do find that interesting.

topkek

Yeah

AKs are cool but if you're only going to have one rifle the AR is the obvious choice. Mags, ammo, accessories, etc. AR wins hands down.

Attached: IMG_20170910_192810.jpg (1765x1310, 833K)

>Mags, ammo, accessories, etc. AR wins hands down.
In the USA, ammo is easy to find and cheap. I don't know how it is in other countries.

NATO countries it’s ubiquitous. South and Central America are on the 5.56 train now mostly. The rest of the world (China, Russia, Middle East) has a bunch of different weird calibers you don’t usually see outside of their own country’s army. And oddly enough hardly anyone uses the old 7.62x39 anymore

As an AK autist I can say AK’s are not worth it in today’s market unless you really feel the need to own one.
The price points you’re looking at are
>$650-$750
Zastava NPAP or WASR. Keep in mind these days both come with shitty furniture put on by Century. Look out for canted sights as well
>$900
Used Mak 90 or used Arsenal SLR-95. They come with thumbhole stocks and won’t accept standard buttstocks without modification
>$1000+
used VEPR(I don’t like how these look and keep in mind they’re technically an RPK), new and used Arsenals(tons of models from $1000 to $3000
Of course you can find deals out there but that’s where the market is at the moment. Check out /akg/‘s pastebin for a more complete buyers guide.
Also, stay away from anything American or from Century that isn’t a Zastava or WASR

i mean, 7.62x39 will hurt steel targets less than .223 with less effort and setup... but that's about it

>And oddly enough hardly anyone uses the old 7.62x39 anymore

You are actually retarded

The answer to your problem is get rid of the whole "I only plan on owning one gun" requirement and get both. AR first for great value, aftermarket, and practicality. Then get an AK for shits n grins.

If you’re only planning on owning one gun, a Mossberg 500 or Glock 19 are your best choices.

Ak's are more fun to shoot in my opinion. I own both, you should buy an AK for fun if you want one. Guns are a hobby.

Have you tried renting one before user? You might want to give it a try before deciding, its mechanically fairly different from an AR with the right side charging and how the magazines need to be inserted.

Is that plastic mlok furniture? I've never seen anything so fucking stupid on an AR before.

>mlok
*keymod

>Shorter range

Attached: BdBaXiECMAAknIF.jpg (477x372, 33K)

>The prices of AKs generally run $500+ which is slightly more expensive than an AR
>7.62x39 is a great cartridge which does offer some advantages over 5.56
>Rugged and reliable as well as easy to field strip
>Limited availability of accessories when compared to AR
>Reliable magazines are cheap as fuck. I have some South Korean MilSurp mags that I paid $2.50 each for that are workhorses
>Although the $2.50 per box days are long gone the ammo is still fairly cheap
>Despite popular opinion AKs are accurate weapons, the problem is that the FSP and RSB are close together which magnifies SHOOTER ERROR in sight alignment
>Operation ergonomics require you to train specifically for the platform due to the charging handle being on the right side, the safety selector, and the way the magazines rock in. This is neither better nor worse than an AR but it is different

As much as I love the AK, sadly the days of $125 rifles are gone and I would make the following suggestions regarding buying one.
>If you are on a tight budget and are buying your first rifle the AR is more cost efficient to feed and customize as well as can be had for a lower initial cost of firearm
>If you're already squared away and want another rifle it's a great choice, but extra ARs are still more cost efficient

From my own research, ARs aren't fragile little fairy's and AKs aren't unjammable Soviet monstrosities. More people are going to have ammo/parts for ARs in shtf so AR is the better option. AKs are still cool tho and I want a saiga 308 real bad

Buy a PSAK gen 3 or WASR 10 if you like AKs but don’t want to drop too much cash. Everyone is going to shit on the PSA on Jow Forums but anyone that actually owns one instead of larping as hasguns will tell you its good to go.