Is it true that this is the ideal optics setup for an ar15? Do I really have to splash out 1200 bucks for EOTech?

Is it true that this is the ideal optics setup for an ar15? Do I really have to splash out 1200 bucks for EOTech?

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.jpg (1200x648, 150K)

no it's bulky and gay

>$1200
buy it like new used for $800 or less. and it is bulky/ heavy

idk why everyone needs a magnifier now

i shot eotech in the marines on a shorty m4 for years without magnification. no problems at all. you dont need a magnifier.

Not op but will i regret buying a vortex razor 1-6? I just want a solid optic for my 18in barrel ar.

It's ideal if you have NODs, considerably better than a LPVO. Not as good as an LPVO during the day, but considerably better than irons or a red dot alone.

Like everything, there's a compromise. My understanding is that Eotech + magnifier is still super popular among guys who actually use their rifles in anger.

Don't listen to he's fat and poor.

>Is it true that this is the ideal optics setup for an ar15?
Lmao no.

Attached: WP_20190224_016.jpg (2255x1725, 1.3M)

what's better than this setup? A variable power scope sounds worse for this context, and i hate scope shadow. The eotech also has unlimited eye relief

You can get a Holosun+magnifier for about 400, which should be fine for whatever you're planning on using it for.

Have fun with the dogshit eye relief on the ACOG

>My understanding is that Eotech + magnifier is still super popular among guys who actually use their rifles in anger.
In 2014 sure, LPVOs are king in the specops community now.

Maybe, maybe not. I personally use it.
Advantages
>SOCOM tested and approved
>great reticle for fast target acquisition
>magnifies very well
>better than red dots if you have astigmatism
>least parallax of any optic
>magnifier can be quickly removed if it's not needed with no change in zero; if you have something like an LPVO you're stuck with all the weight all the time
Disadvantages
>significantly less battery life than most red dots, no always on capability
>heavier than a red dot, similar or lighter than some LPVOs
>only 1-3x magnification, LPVOs have it beat in ability to dial in on a specific magnification or greater magnification
at 1x this is true, however your magnifier does have eye relief at about 2".

what the fuck is an lvpo

>doing nose-to-CH is haaaard
God you sound like a total queer.

Fact is, that up to and past 300m (average engagement distance), that using just a red dot alone becomes quite difficult.

low power variable optic.

Example: 1-6x, 1.5-8x, stuff like that. low power... and variable.

Wrong. can't use NODS with LPVOs. Just flip the mag outta the way and boom, you can use nods easily with your dot.

I shoot nose to CH, because that's what I was taught in the army. Doesn't change the fact it still has shit eye relief.

shit eye relief, but amazing field of view at its magnification. also, as far as optics go, ACOGS are light as fuck.

you will see the dust clouds and can walk them around if you need to. at that distance you're probably just trying to stop the other guy from shooting whoever is on the move anyway

it sounds like people are buying afghanistan war gear for the boogaloo but who in the boogaloo is going to stick out a 2 hour firefight at 300m with you? and why?

the hottest new fad in ar15 optics

If you're using NODS with your dot you've fucked up already, I'm convinced anyone who advocates it actually hasn't tried it and experienced the sheer awkwardness of holding your AR out in front of you like some sort of African.

Attached: ATPIAL-AN-PEQ15-2.jpg (500x269, 43K)

Holosun red dot + holosun or vortex magnifier, I can't see how its any worse and its like 400 to 500 dollars total.

You're retarded

Depends what you're doing
It's the best setup if you're usually shooting under 300 yards and very rarely need mag
If you're usually shooting over 300 and very rarely need 1x and ACOG is gonna be better
LPVOs would be the next step depending on the range or level of detail you need to see at distance
Also a T2+G33 is way better than an eotech+g33

Attached: mango aug.jpg (3952x2562, 3.68M)

No, but eotech reticle is ideal for realistic general defensive use IMO.
>dot adequately zeroed for longest probable HD distance(end of drive way, edge of property line for suburbanites)
>lower circle or line adequately zeroed for inna house distances
Nice having two concrete aiming points instead of working holdovers when under stress IMO. Most people aren't exactly shooting 300rnds a week.

it's called a chin weld and it aint difficult.

Average engagement distance has been 300m ever since bolt actions became a thing. Being able to make shots out to 400m is a very practical consideration.

Yup it's a Jow Forums optics thread alright.
>Doesn't change the fact it still has shit eye relief.
Yeah so let's advocate for the magnifier with all of a half inch advantage. Eye relief is one of the msot overblown issues with the 4x ACOGs, yet none of the people who bitch about it even think to bring up the fact it's one of the only modern optics out there where smacking it like a retard that wouldn't put the puppy down is considered an official sighting-in procedure.

>Average engagement distance has been 300m ever since bolt actions became a thing
No it hasn't. It's been UNDER 300m.

also, have fun leading a guy at 100m+ with an IR laser at night... super easy with eotech reticle.

can I put it on a crossbow
will it help me hunt turkeys

yeah but im not thinking anyone is gonna stick it out at 300m for very long. this isnt overseas and everyone has to buy/scrounge their own ammo

unless someone is buying all this gear to shoot paper targets then get whatever is coolest

>so let's advocate for the magnifier with all of a half inch advantage
Most magnifiers that aren't turbo poor tier have almost double the ACOG's eye relief. Besides, fixed 4x is not ideal in a lot of situations.

If you think the shit tier/nonexistent cheek weld is the only issue with sight aiming with NODS then you're just admitting you don't do it. I want you to imagine the usual way you hold your rifle and then flushing it down the toilet so you can create some awful, unnatural abortion of a method to allow you to readily use your sights when looking through a PVS14 during a godforsaken field exercise at Ft. Polk in August. That's what it's like, and that's why you use your fucking PEQ box like everyone else who uses NODS on the job.

No, they don't. The G33 is pretty much the best magnifier on the market, and it sits at 2" of eye relief.

mostly everyone here sounds crazy to me
it’s like all those people that bought nuclear fallout shelters in the 50s
nuttin funna happen to u country bumpkins

let me tell you about marine SOI and when they make you train with the m249 and NODS without any PEQ. and you get kicked in the ass if you aren't accurate enough while trying to line up your NODS to see through the iron sights

>Most magnifiers that aren't turbo poor tier have almost double the ACOG's eye relief.
Oh yeah this is totally a Jow Forums optic thread lmao.

>leading a guy at 100m+ with an IR laser at night.

it's not hard.

there's a reason every combat arms unit uses lasers with nods. brace the stock on your plate, look around with your head, coordinate.

>not buying cool gun stuff for the sole purpose of it being cool

>You're retarded
>You're
It's your you fucking idiot hahahaha

>it sits at 2" of eye relief.
Try again. Aimpoint's magnifiers also have way more eye relief.

Attached: eye relief.png (448x483, 222K)

If you join the Marines you deserve it, it was always funny to see them only have that retarded PEQ-16 that they had specially made for them only about half the time they were outside the wire.

Really? even the holosun magnifier has 2.75 inches of eye relief

sounds like a string puller who got to use fun stuff at night once or twice...with expedience taking the place of practice and setup.

Attached: 1522834979205.jpg (500x333, 31K)

sounds like ur just jealous of our peqs bro

>It's not 2", it's 2.2"!
Not even him but this is getting pathetic. And Aimpoint's is listed at around 2.4". If that's 'way more' to you, then okay.

Aimpoint's magnifier is also dogshit

Honestly most people who talk about eye relief have no fucking clue what they're talking about and just assume that longer is better without putting any ounce of thought in or trying things out themselves

Attached: BLACKED.jpg (3831x2254, 3.96M)

OH WOW, it's a whole .2" more than I said. Clearly, it has twice the eye relief of an acog!
>aimpoint magnifiers
Are trash, as you'd know if you'd ever used one. Post your magnifier RIGHT NOW, or shut the fuck up. You're discussing things you have no experience with. I actually DO use an eotech with magnifier, and I can tell you it doesn't have incredible eye relief. For best results you're still nose to charging handle.

yeah you’ll regret it bitch

>it's a whole .2" more than I said.
Maybe you should check next time before spouting off bullshit.
>Are trash, as you'd know if you'd ever used one.
As if you could afford one.

>Aimpoint's magnifiers also have way more eye relief.
Not really and they're on the verge of being discontinued since the G33 has been long known to shit all over it and no one with cash bothers with anything else.

So the clear conclusion from this thread is that ______________. (fill in the blank)

Attached: 1559271302383.jpg (736x1334, 165K)

Haha, dude. I wish you were at my place right now. Sun just went down. I'd show you exactly how to set up your rifle and NODS and how to aim down the optic. It's easy and natural, makes lasers feel like guestimations which is why they're so widely used, easy to train, but not great when you need the hit at longer range.

lasers are still ideal under 100m and/or indoors.

>Maybe you should check next time before spouting off bullshit
>.2 is significant, really! I know, because my only experience with any optics is reading their product pages!
Yeah, post your magnifier no-eokeks, then I'll consider your worthless opinion.
>As if you could afford one.
Yeah, I can. That's why I'm talking about it, unlike you I don't offer opinions on gear I've never even seen in person.

Attached: get fucked.jpg (1815x1021, 435K)

Use what you like/best with.

>what's better than this setup?
For what purpose? Why are you asking what sights to use without mentioning what you will be using the gun for?

State what you're using the gun for first. Then we can pick what sight option is best.

Is this for CQB? DMR? A varmint rig? Hunting? Home defense? Range toy? Competition?
What caliber you shooting?
What BBL length?

I think the mindest of a non-military person is very different from someone who is or was in the military.
There tends to be a more “do it all” mentality because you don’t air support to call, no logistics train to supply you, and most importantly, you don’t have a group of other trained and armed allies you can spread responsibility to (DMR, machine gunner, breaching, medic, etc). So it shouldn’t be surprising that emphasis is going to be more “versatility” than keeping things light and streamlined.

i'd be using it for AR15 type of stuff

But it was a fad a while ago, especially in competition.

>cheese grater railz
>ideal for anything

I bought a Kahles LPVO and kinda dislike it. With any scope, how you line up with it is really critical. Having your optic shadow or black out because your head is slightly off axis sucks.

If you are wanting to do long range shooting, you should get a real scope so you can actually see your target. 6 or 8x aren’t super magnified.

If you are looking to to close range shooting, get a EOTech or red dot and enjoy both eyes open shooting with not shadow, distortion, or fisheye.

Yes, they're ideal for maximum aesthetics and secure mounting.

Yeah man. You sure mounted that flashlight and dong grip securely

Unless you live in the prairie/mountain states, almost nowhere is going to give you sight lines for 300+ yards. Certainly nothing urban or suburban.

I'm nott the guy you're replying to, but just out of curiosity, why are aimpoint magnifiers shit?

Big thing is the adjustments. You have to use an Allen key for the aimpoint magnifier, the eotech has adjustment turrets like any sensible person would want. The smaller aimpoint magnifier has worse FOV, the bigger one is similar to the g33 but is fucking big. The eybox is also inferior. And mount quality varies a lot, and due to the ring attachment can cause some serious problems due to user error. The Eotech mount is flawless and pretty retardproof.

Ideal is an opinion, whats ideal is what you like and are comfortable with and what works for YOU

Its been a "fad" since 1998, it was just overshadowed by all the gwot vets fawning over the acog.

If you think it's impossible you obviously don't know how people shoot with monoculars or binos with a modern bridge.

When considering a near peer threat it's obviously preferable to bleed your position using IR illum and IR LAM as little as possible.

>army
There it is folks, we can stop taking him seriously now.

you don't know how angular measurements work, do you?

If you think it's easier to get good hits when you aim 34 MoA high at ranges from 0-15 yards as opposed to just aiming two inches above where you want to hit.

"what is an eye box?"

Why is the aimpoint magnifier shit? I have owned and used one for years and aside from the problem of not always centering the dot if you move it between multiple rifles with their twistmount systems I've got no complaints. The glass is clear and the eyebox is huge compared to any other magnified optic I've used.

>worse FOV
>worse mounts
>worse eyebox
>doesn't have toolless adjustments, what the actual fuck aimpoint
it's not that it's shit, it's just worse. And when it costs about the same and then you have to go and buy a mount too, it's a pretty pointless product.

>When considering a near peer threat
Shit that won't ever happen for $400, Alex

>eye relief = eye box
Oh damn, it's retarded

"what is the boogaloo?"

See above

t. retard who gets domed by some kid with a camera duct-taped to his head

I can't say I ever emasured the FOV, and the thing can be mounted in anything that accepts a 30mm tube, from LaRue to ADM, to the EOkek mount so that's not a real problem.
>worse eyebox?
really? The eyebox seems at least as flexible than any other magnified optic I own (including a couple optics that cost twice as much) where is sauce on that?
I said eyebox, not eye relief. Are you new or illiterate?

don't let your memes be dreams, user

Attached: disdain for yanks.png (341x512, 355K)

>reply to posts talking about eye relief with an eyebox argument
>"wow why are you telling me to not talk about the two like they're interchangeable"

This.
White light and IR light NDs can be as dangerous as the other kind.

You never know who’s watching with what.

>almost nowhere is going to give you sight lines for 300+ yards. Certainly nothing urban or suburban.
what is looking down the length of a street?

ah, so you're new. Just so you know if you encounter it again tomorrow on your second day of internet, redundant quotation marks around a phrase indicate sarcasm.

Attached: 1487783908494.jpg (628x504, 35K)

This.

Attached: 3DBB852D-3DA7-4187-ADCE-B5F8B8C6B7C5.jpg (771x479, 123K)

Be more specific.
I have an 8" SBR 556 for home defense. Since the range is short there is no need for magnifiation. It has a red dot.
I have a 24" bull barrel upper in .17 Rem for varmint hunting. Since that requires precision at long ranges and weight is a non-issue since I won't be humping it around all day, I have a 5-15 variable scope.
My 3gun rifle needs to be super fast to acquire and very rugged because it gets abused. It has a 2x ACOG and 45 deg BUIS since that suits the competions and is rock-solid reliable.
My 300 BLK has a G33 & eotech with the 300 BLK reticle. I chose that because I wanted one optic which was graduated for both super & sub. I use subs for pest control on my property, but I also wanted to be able to shoot supers for hunting without changing out the optic.

Those are all AR-15s but have different setups because they are for different things. Again, pick what you want to do with the gun first, then pick the optic which best suits that application.

Pot, kettle, black, with a side of do you really not know how eotech reticles work? one of the main selling points is that you can use a 50/200 zero for the center dot resulting in the lower portion of the outer ring being a 7yd zero. This provides you with two solid aiming points and really zero need of holdovers for typical defensive use. The ring will never be meaningfully off and therefor requiring a holdover for 3-7yds and the dot will never be meaningfully off and therefor requiring a holdover for 10-250 yds assuming a center of upper chest hold.

lmao at believing your green ass would even use your sights when you run into a baddie within 7 yards

Irons at 500 isn't difficult, and a 2 MOA dot is even easier than a 4 MOA post.

>run into a baddie
>not camping a fatal funnel at 5-8yrds distance using the bottom line of my eokek to flash and dome them in .3s when they come around the corner with zero need for at the moment hold over figuring
The only thing running around here are your goal posts, child.

>bro i was just joking please bro
Yea sure

>every engagement I could ever possibly envision takes place 5-8yds distance

Attached: chrome_2017-02-23_19-58-50.png (585x506, 635K)

unless you have a bunch of bullshit up top just get the long one. It's frequently on sale I got mine for 200 something.
decent magnifires go on sale from time to time.

This whole thread is just one big collection of Dunning-Kruger

/thread

>reticle requires effectively zero hold over for 5yds-250yds as clearly and repeatedly explained
>every engagement I could ever possibly envision takes place 5-8yds distance
>goal post movement #3
You're actually retarded or a schizo poster.

Attached: Brain damage horny girl.jpg (640x645, 445K)

>$1200
So you pay $2 per every hour of battery life?

if you are talking about the center dot you might have a point, if you're pretending the bottom of the doughnut is any kind of useful aiming point outside of an extremely limited window you're fucking retarded.

Attached: Fat_Controller.jpg (600x480, 38K)

>the muh reens eat crayons
>YOU SHOULD TOO!!!!!!!

Stupid fuck.