Looking to buy my first gun tomorrow. I'm a 6' 200lb male if that matters...

Looking to buy my first gun tomorrow. I'm a 6' 200lb male if that matters. I read a thread online about a Glock 19 and the reviews look great. Never fired a gun before so I'm curious to hear what you guys have to say about the Glock 19.

Also do gun ranges offer lessons? Is there a way to test the Glock before I purchase it? Can I show up to a gun range and just pick guns off the wall to test drive? Or do I need to buy a gun first and then try that out? I'm sorry for the dumb questions but I'm new to this and very excited to start shooting! Nobody in my family or friends circle owns a gun so I can't go to them for advice. Thanks!

Attached: 1812919_1108301798213_is.jpeg.jpg (400x284, 11K)

>I'm curious to hear what you guys have to say about the Glock 19.
it's boring
>Also do gun ranges offer lessons?
oftentimes
>Is there a way to test the Glock before I purchase it?
rentals
>Can I show up to a gun range and just pick guns off the wall to test drive?
not really

Honestly you're better off starting with a .22 rifle, you'll probably develop a flinch and have a hard time hitting anything. For someone who's never fired a gun, a compact 9mm with a polymer frame is pretty snappy. Plus I'd even recommend a SA/DA or a manual safety for a first pistol.

>Looking to buy my first gun tomorrow.
> I read a thread online about a Glock 19 and the reviews look great. Never fired a gun before so...
Stop dead in your tracks. Call around to local shooting ranges and try a few different comparable handguns before buying. S&W M&P 2.0(not the older ones), Beretta, Sig, H&K, walther, and CZ are all good brands to check out as far as roughly g19 sized 9mms go. Glock 19s are pretty good guns, dont get me wrong, but at least 80% of novice shooters will find another brands offerings notably nicer under fire and carrying when compared directly to the g19 if you as them before they developed a bias. The abnormal grip angle, ok tier trigger, shit tier sights, and blocky grip just don't sit well with everyone.

What's boring about it? And what would you recommend then?

Do they have rentals at gun ranges that they can give you lessons on?

If I can't get the guns at the range then where do I rent the guns at? Gun shops? Do they just let you rent for the day? Do I have to have any permits or anything? What if I want to buy that gun? How hard is it to buy a gun? I have no felonies or misdemeanors on my record.

Don’t fall for the glock meme and waste money. They are overpriced.

What's your budget is the first question
Second question is why you want a gun
3rd is what state you live in

>Honestly you're better off starting with a .22 rifle, you'll probably develop a flinch and have a hard time hitting anything.

Is there a way to prevent flinching? I don't want a rifle first I was looking to get something smaller to have. Then maybe in a few months I'll get a rifle and try and go hunting for the first time.

>For someone who's never fired a gun, a compact 9mm with a polymer frame is pretty snappy. Plus I'd even recommend a SA/DA or a manual safety for a first pistol.

What do you mean by that? I don't understand gun lingo sorry

Get a M&P 2.0 compact.
>Better grip angle
>Better grip texture
>Steel sights (unlike Glock)
>Steel reinforced Poly lower (Glock doesn't have)
>Great after market (Not as great as Glock, still close)
>Cheaper (saved money can go to holster, belt, spare mags, etc.)
I love Glock, I pretty much replaced all mine with M&P. Wish they would just steal Glocks trigger (Hinge trigger M&P comes with is decent, Glock has better by some amount)

glock 19, cz p01, sig p229, m&p9 2.0
buy whichever feels best in your hand, either will serve you well.

First of all, what kind of gun do you want to buy? Do you want a long gun like a rifle or a shotgun or are you looking for a handgun? That should be the first thing you determine. As for gun ranges,some of them do rent guns out to shooters so find one that does and go out to it and rent some guns that interest you. They will probably have ammo that you can buy there so figure out what guns you want to shoot and get the right ammo for it (please don't load .40 S&W into a 9x19 handgun). The most surprising part of shooting for you will probably be the recoil as movies and video games never really show you how much there is. Also, when you get to the firing line, ask the Range Officer for tips and how to operate and shoot the guns safely. After that, put up a target and don't be disappointed that you're not the best shot right off the bat. It takes years of practice to really get consistent tight groupings and it's better to learn early on that it will take practice. Just have fun and enjoy the feeling. For handguns, try to narrow down what feels comfortable to hold and points naturally for you so that you can figure out which one you want when you're ready to buy one.

If you dont mind weight they have a sale on the police version of the M9 it's all metal and mags are easy to find, the thing will last forever. It's about 250 on classic firearms

I'll say this: ask someone in real life, and they'll tell you the G19 is good to go. Ask on Jow Forums, and Burt will tell you the M&P 2.0 is better, poorfags will tell you to buy a taurus, HK fan boys will tell you to get a USP, people who love to waste money will post an FN57 while showing off their expensive watch and shorts, some aspie will tell you to buy milsurp, and anyone who suggests the 19 will be shitpost do with pics of glocknades. Take everything here with a grain of salt.

Go to a gun store, try holding different guns. Look up local ranges, if there's a gun shop with a range attached it's a good place to start. When you find something you like, look online for the best deal and get it transferred.

They did seem like a lot at about $550.

Don't really know what my budget is. Not looking to spend too much but I read online not to shop based on price or else I'll grab something shitty. Cheaper is always better for me though.

I want a gun because I just moved to the sticks and lots of co-workers hunt and have guns. I would like to learn to shoot cause talking to them about it makes it sound like a good thing to learn and a fun activity. Also I want a gun as a weapon of self defense in my apartment.

I live in PA now. You think I should get a concealed carry permit too for the pistol? I don't really plan on taking it anywhere with me but better to have it right?

That's the thing OP, because it's boring it's perfect for you. Line up the sights, pull the trigger, and it goes bang. No weird action inside, no strange malfunctions often, it just works. That goes for pretty much all modern polymer striker fired pistols- they're all so similar, just pick a decent quality (500ish new) one that fits your hand well and practice a lot.

You defeat flinch by practicing more. Dry fire can help. Ignore the bit on the SA/DA, it's not a good choice for beginners- they have some advantages but require much more training. The .22 rifle bit isn't a bad idea, Ruger 10/22s are good and let you practice cheaply.

>Ignore the bit on the SA/DA, it's not a good choice for beginners- they have some advantages but require much more training.
I started with a SA/DA and I get that they require more training to use proficiently, but it's still "pull the trigger to fire" with the added layer of the DA being harder to ND, and decocking. He won't be a maskman with either pistol, but he'll probably shoot the single action better, and be less likely to shoot his dick off with the double action.

>maskman
*marksman

I would look up gunstores and ranges trying to find a combo one that is both you can rent from. Also check the ranges for basic firearms handling and safety classes.

If you buy a glock 19 that is fine. They are very reliable weapons with a very strong aftermarket. I would suggest if possible try renting some if it's competitors to like the HK vp9, CZ p10c, M&P 2.0. Not a springfield, or a Sig though. In a gunstore, make sure to ask where to point the gun if there is not a obviously marked place on the wall, usually up and away from people. Also order ammo online using ammoseek if your state allows it. Buy well known brands until you figure things out, such as federal American eagle, Winchester, and the like.

Above all be safe when handling any firearm and follow the weapon safety rules. Guns can be a ton of fun, if you don't fuck it up.

I think the DA bit tends to encourage bad form for newer shooters- cocking the hammer during the draw, or dropping the first round just to get to SA, stuff like that. I'm not sure that a DA pull would really be that much safer than a striker either, I can't remember and NDs where a DA pull would have prevented them.

>I can't remember and NDs where a DA pull would have prevented them.
I'd wager many of the situations where a Glock NDs while rehostering due to the shirt getting in the trigger guard or a soft holster deforming world be avoided with a DA, you'd realize something is wrong when it takes 10lbs of force to seat the pistol.

Just to clarify some terms and definitions for you since you will hear them a lot for handguns.

Most modern handguns generally come in two different sizes these days and each size is referred to by one of these names.
>Full Size
This is the standard size of the handgun. Full size handguns usually have barrels of 4 inches or longer and have the maximum capacity of the design using standard magazines. The larger frame helps to make them the easiest to shoot as there is ample room for a good grip and a bigger frame to absorb some of the recoil.
>Compact
Imagine a full size handgun but shrunk down a bit. These are typically made more for concealed carry in mind and as such, they will have shorter barrels and smaller frames, meaning less ammo capacity using their standard magazines.
>Subcompact
An even smaller compact, these are made to make the gun even more concealable. They will have the shortest barrels and smallest frames for handguns. They are often unpleasant to shoot for new shooters as there's not much to hold on to and they recoil the most.

>Firing Method
Most modern day handguns fire by one of two methods with each having advantages and disadvantages.
>Hammer Fired
This method has a swinging arm called the hammer swing forward and hit the firing pin to have it shoot the round after being cocked. It's what you see everyone pull back on a revolver when they're about to shoot it. Pretty much every semi auto handgun cocks the hammer for you after every shot and after you chamber the first round so all you have to do is pull the trigger once you're loaded.
>Striker fired
In this method, there is no hammer but instead, the firing pin itself is pulled back and held in place by a sear linked to the trigger. When you pull the trigger, the sear drops and the spring pushing on the firing pin pushes it forward to shoot the loaded round. Most striker fired guns are cocked after every shot and when you chamber a round.

This 100x

The g19 is the best overall handgun around. It's not the best in every category but it will last forever with basic maintenance. Like a Honda

>Steel reinforced Poly lower
Why is this a thing? Didn't the Glock survive falling out of a plane? What good is the steel if the weaker polymer around it breaks?

My friend, what you need, is a GLAWK FORTAY

Attached: 20171001_124138.jpg (2251x1266, 723K)

Generally Jow Forums is not good for actual advice. I'd suggest you do independent research, ask your friends and family, look up some reviews on YouTube from unbiased reviewers.

My first gun was a glock 19 and I love it and carry it to this day. Its an accurate, reliable, low maintenance gun and excellent for beginners and pros alike, and versatile enough to be used in any role a handgun could be used in. 9mm is great for self defense and cheap enough for a lot of practice with a moderate recoil impulse. I think it's the best choice for a first serious combat handgun and considering that it's the choice for the Austrian military, British military, navy seals and spec ops, and most law enforcement, glock is the way to go. Keep in mind that if you've never shot a gun before you might want a 22 pistol to learn the basics for that I'd suggest a ruger mk 4. So, my suggestions to you are:
glock 19 (9mm)
Ruger mk 4 (22)
These are my opinions but you should do your own research also.

Alot of ranges have rental guns and most probably have a Glock 19 you can shoot. It's a good pick for a first handgun.

youll shoot your head out kid. take some lessons on basic gun ownership and safety and usage. or go to the range with a frined who can show you. dont be that faggot at the public range pointing his pistol sideways on the line while loading and unloading the magazine. i know you are going to do it. all the faggot noobs do this shit. start with a rifle, preferabbly a bolt action .22. handguns are so dangerous in the hands of idiot beginners. you have to really try to shoot yourself with a 16" barrel. with a 4" barrel, its pretty easy to do if you have no experience

Especially with no safety and a 5.5 pound trigger that requires being dry fired to field strip and clean the gun. The gun is not forgiving of mistakes. You want good habits down before you load this gun.

M8 I started with a glock 19 and never had any problems. I see where you're coming from but it's pretty hard to be retarded to the point you have no muzzle awareness. And if you get accurate with a handgun a rifle will feel so much easier since handguns are a lot harder to shoot well than rifles

I'll admit that the only times I've seen flagging on the range is with handguns in newbie hands, but it's still pretty rare. We are assuming op isn't a retard though

>it's pretty hard to be retarded to the point you have no muzzle awareness
no, its not. i see it in my classes literally all the fucking time. morons literally pointing the muzzle at their chin without realizing it while doing reloads, pointing it at their face while kneeling behind cover. for someone new who has never been whipped into shape by a tough safety conscious instructor the risk for negligence is huge with handguns. espeically since it OP says he has zero firearms experience, he literally has never even shot a gun. i guarantee he will do stupid shit with a handgun. thats why i said a rifle is much more forgiving for beginners, especially a bolt action or single shot. take some classes

>I've seen flagging on the range is with handguns in newbie hands, but it's still pretty rare.
no, its not rare. i see it even in "experienced" people like cops. i see it all the time. go to a public indoor range in a metro area and you will shit your pants and never go back

Glock 19 is an incredibly vanilla gun. Like pure vanilla, no toppings, no extra flavors, no bullshit. Which makes it an excellent first handgun if it fits the budget--and also incredibly easy to resell at minimal loss if you end up not liking it.

You're as tall as me, but 60lbs heavier. Get a bigger gun. I conceal a Glock 21 with minimal printing. Bigger guns are easier to shoot, more accurate, and you can get a better grip on it.

Attached: 4f14bd9039[1].jpg (1289x813, 79K)

/vanillaicecreamgang/

Is the 1911 chocolate? And the beretta 92 is strawberry?

I go to one that's only 2 miles from my house, run by the local sheriff dept. Major west coast city, 2 million+ metro population. None of what you describe happens there and I've seen them remove people for not following the rules.

Don't go to the shady af back alley discount ranges

Is anything I said wrong? Nope

I dont know how ranges are like near you user but my range has about 30-40 different guns from glawks to AK clones to rent try finding a range near you that offers a similar service

How is cocking the hammer a bad habit ? It's standard procedure with the beretta where i live

I'm not disagreeing with you

Sorry fren, probably too much 4channel for one day

Attached: 1524148474015.jpg (657x527, 49K)

Steel reduces flex when fired. Supposedly helps with reliability caused by flex when weapon lights are attached.

This is retarded advice. A glock 19 will fill a 6' king of manlets hands no problem. The recoil reduction of a metal frame is also nil.

>Wish they would just steal Glocks trigger (Hinge trigger M&P comes with is decent, Glock has better by some amount)

They tried that with the Smegma, the original S&W glock clone but got successfully sued for patent infringement since it was literally a copy paste. Hence the introduction of the retarded hinge trigger.

Also who the fuck likes the M&P 2.0 grip texture? It's literally low grit sandpaper. Fucking terrible ergonomics. If your grip isn't strong enough to secure a plastic 9mm recoiling, even if it's completely smooth plastic, you need to come down in caliber.

>550
There is an expansive used Glock market, you can easily get one for ~350 and at full MSRP there are better choices. You don't have to buy into the marketing. People recommend them because it's the easiest thing to tell a new buyer to pick up.

>getting a pistol
>derp get babby 22 rifle, 9mm toooo snappy
Stop giving anyone advice on anything.

IMO because you have never owned a gun you should find a range that lets you rent guns and try everything they have.

Have you ever had real vanilla ice cream before? Real vanilla, not the synthetic vanilla flavoring that they use? It's the best flavor there is bar none. Not unlike glock actually.

>What's boring about it
Everything but the aftermarket, boring is good for your first though
>Do they have rentals at gun ranges
maybe
>lessons
3/4 ranges i've paid to use do this
>How hard is it to buy a gun? I have no felonies or misdemeanors on my record.
Because of this, it'll be easy if you live in a free state
>If I can't get the guns at the range then where do I rent the guns at
Then you don't

Glocks are outdated shit. Get an FN or HK.

Consider:
Glock G19
CZ P07 (cheap & reliable)
H&K VP9
S&W M&P2.0
SIG P320 also nice but more expensive. Either one of those will serve you very well

>fits your hand well

when will this stupid meme die

I don't like Glocks, but you're welcome to purchase and carry what ever you want. I went with the Sig 229 because it's not full sized but not quite compact, it's like a happy middle between the two. 17+1 works for me.

Get a glock 29 if your a big guy

Drop P07 and add P10c. Drop P320 and add P2009 or P2022.

>200lb
You should buy a glock directly from their outlet in Smyrna, GA,
After you travel their by foot.

my first handgun was a block 19, i am pretty happy with it

He said first gun he's ever fired, brainlet. Your post even ends in 22.

I feel like OP was me last friday, instead of asking Jow Forums I asked the entire staff at the range what they recommended and suggested as far as what I wanted / needed. I rented what they suggested and ended up buying a 92fs after I left.
>mfw the glock 19 I rented spit every other casing on my head
>mfw the sig p320 I rented had the slide release brake on my first reload
that glock was comfy and the easiest to control but goddamn that ejection arc was annoying as shit

Attached: raughs.png (900x678, 769K)

Because anything that's not Glock or Glock clone is bad.

.22’s as a first gun is fudd advice. Get a pistol and get good with it.

I, and thousands of others have learned on M16’s and M9’s. The learning curve isn’t as steep as you think.

If you have never fired a gun before go to a range that rents guns and try a bunch. Most gun ranges should let you switch guns for free. The catch is usually that you have to use their ammo they sell. So pay a $20 rental fee, buy a few boxes of 9mm ammo, and then try a Sig, Glock, S&W back to back etc. You can try all the popular guns and see what you like.

Way different learning from an instructor, and an M16 is easier to learn on than a G19.

Instructor is good because you can start with good habits from step 1 instead of having to unlearn your shitty habits you taught yourself as a noob. They can correct bad form before it becomes your normal.

And a g19 is easier to learn on than a M9. Which is the first pistol many shoot for the first time. With the internet available at the tip of our fingers, there’s no reason you can’t become proficient without an instructor.

The M9 is fucking 42 oz loaded, G19 is only 30 oz, M9 is way easier to shoot as a first handgun. Especially when you're being trained by a guy who's paid by tax dollars to train you, and you're using ammo paid by tax dollars so you can pass and start earning your tax dollars. Some noguns plinking on his own with zero experience would benefit from having a forgiving firearm to learn on. Of course it's not impossible to learn on your own with a G19 being the first gun you've fired in your life, but that's not what the gun is for and you'll make up for it by needing more range time and more ammo to correct bad habits.

Height and weight don't really matter the g19 is a great first gun.

You can definitely go to a range (go with a friend) and likely rent a g19. Most gun range also sell guns.

I’ve experienced otherwise. The double action first trigger pull is a lot harder to master, than the consistent trigger pull on a glock.

If it irks OP that much, he could use the ~$150 he would spend on a .22 rifle and take a basic pistol course.

>And a g19 is easier to learn on than a M9
How? Because a SA/DA trigger and a manual safety/decocker are difficult to learn? Then how do grunts pull it off? M9 is easier to shoot accurately, which is the hardest part for a newbie with a blank slate. He can learn the rest finger fucking at home.

22 is not a good choice for a first pistol for an adult, it does not have enough real world utility as the "only gun" someine owns

>Your first pistol is your only gun
If you're not retarded, you can buy low and sell it for what you paid once you've learned the basics. Or just buy the 9mm later. It's not a contract for life. Just a chance to cheaply and easily put thousands of rounds down range to develop transferable skills. Even now that I own a half dozen different pistol calibers, .22 is still the one I shoot most simply because it's cheap.

The DA/SA transition is the hardest part. A consistent trigger pull is easier to learn on, especially for a newbie. Grunts being proficient with M9’s furthers my point though, telling noobs to get .22 rifles as first guns is redundant.

Attached: 625D80C7-0798-4C77-A4F4-B700E792C9CD.jpg (747x1001, 333K)

Or if you’re not retarded you can just use that money for ammo for the 9mm.

>The DA/SA transition is the hardest part
I have heard this a million times but I still prefer DA/SA. Probably because all my dad's pistols were DA/SA so that is what I learned to shoot and all I shot for years before I ever encountered a striker fired gun. It actually feels odd that the transition from DA to SA doesn't occur for me.
Plus many DA/SA allow carrying cocked and locked so it is SA on the first shot. SA trigger pull is ideal.

i owned the m&p 1.0 and aside from the first gen mushiness, i couldn't get over the hinged safety design. the glock blade style safety feels so much better.

user, do you know why McDonalds was so successful? Because they implemented the Drive-Thru.

Step 1. Order. Step 2. Pay. Step 3. Recieve food.

They made it super simple. That's why I wouldn't reccomend SA/DA. For a beginner, a simple to use firearm is what you want.

I own a glock 19. It was my first firearm. I would highly recommend it. As another user mentioned, everyone on Jow Forums will shill you some weird shit. Just get a glock. Who cares if some people think its "boring" or "plain". I love to shoot my glock. Fuck em and get the glock. Its world renowned for being one of the most reliable firearms. And it didnt get that reputation for no fucking reason.

why are you so fat

Yes, but glock is perfection so any options glocks don't offer are inherently wrong by design. Gotta be high speed low drag or you'll die. Glock changed handguns forever.

>And it didnt get that reputation for no fucking reason.
It got it because of aggressive marketing, blue label specials, and a huge profit per unit that allowed them to invest more money into advertisment, sponsorships, and special programs. Basically, by selling the cheapest gun at the highest price they had the most money to invest into shilling. They're decent guns, just a wonder 9 with most of the safety features removed, a striker and polymer frame. They hardly redesigned handguns in any meaningful way regarding reliability or performance. The only thing they did was be lighter at the time they were introduced, with a large capacity and a simplified manual of arms. But people are still willing to pay $550 at the gun store for the same gun with plastic sights and a mediocre trigger that the cop gets $200 cheaper. I'd suggest just waiting for a good deal, if you can get one for the price a cop pays then it's a fair deal.

this

see

Yeah McDonalds is what I associate with quality

CZ 75 p01

FN Hi-Power

Attached: custom.jpg (1086x610, 487K)

Have some class, get a revolver.

Attached: IMG_20190628_202419424-01.jpg (4160x2171, 2.38M)

This board hates them because they're too popular.

But they're fine.