Is an automatic/mechanical watch a good SHTF investment?

How important would you say knowing the time or day of the month is going to be once society collapses? Not needing to worry about batteries or EMP's seems like a plus for something like pic related.

Attached: SKZ211K1_LRG.jpg (600x720, 72K)

Other urls found in this thread:

microsemi.com/product-directory/clocks-frequency-references/3824-chip-scale-atomic-clock-csac#overview
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You will also need to know how to service it, as it will need that every 5-10 years or so. Also, watches tend to not be affected by EMP in the way that things hooked up to power lines are.

You could get some solar watches- most will last up to 20 years or so, and they are more accurate than an auto.

Maybe something like this. Solar, and has a digital compass built it.

Attached: 91uLtsQu8tL._UY550_.jpg (379x550, 40K)

>Not needing to worry about batteries or EMP's seems like a plus for something like pic related.

I understand what you mean. But aside from the EMP thing solar powered watches with batteries as buffer are a thing. And they are gooood.
The main problem of all-mechanical watches is that even high class chronograph-rated ones (talking about Breitling or Sinn or whatever) are off by several seconds a day which adds up of course.
Yeah, solar powered quarz ones are off too but to a much lesser degree (we're talking about ~15 seconds a month)
That may sound like a big pile of shit for during SHTF but since an analog watch will be needed for navigation, it becomes cruicial that it's as accurate as possible even after months or years.

>cant tell what time of day it is
"Oh fuck, that chinese EMP took out my digital watch, how will I ever be able to tell what time it is?"
>looks up at sky
"Oh, it's fucking daytime."

What if you need to coordinate some type of activity over long distances and there's no radio or phone communication?

What if the SHTF scenario is that the sun falls out of orbit? checkmate solarfags

The only watch you need is a gpm from Marathon with tritium.

I've found that I have very little use for a watch while innawoods. The only thing I use it for is the timer for chemical water purification.

Holy shit is this really not common sense? No get a fucking atomic watch that runs on satellite you fucking mongoloid
A thread died for this retardery

LOOK AT THE SUN YOU FUCKING NIGGER
PEOPLE HAVE BEEN TELLING TIME WITH THEIR EYEBALLS FOR 40,000 FUCKING YEARS

You will be coordinating zero activities when SHTF

Attached: 1544162888541.jpg (562x600, 37K)

classic low power casio digital, buy a bunch stickthem in a shoe box lined with wire mesh with a dick load of batterys
its battery operated but they fucking last almost as long as any automatic watch lasts until it start losing time
seiko shitters can last 15 years between service intervals but they start losing time after 4 or 5 years, swiss shite loses time just as fast unless youre talking about shit that makes millionaires wince, but at that point, its a fucking watch, itll probably break anyhow

Get a solar quartz watch like a citizen bm8180. It will be more accurate, less time lost or gained per day, and more resistant to magnetic fields and impact. A mechanical watch isnt a bad idea, its certainly better than nothing. Just you better know how to do some basic service on it. Hell get a vostok amphibia, maybe someone will recognize your watch and not shoot you.

Maybe if you get youself a g-shock.

Atomic watches don't use satellites, they listen for a ground-based transmitter. There's no guarantee that will keep working if SHTF. You could also use GPS to set the time, but if anything happens that threatens government power you can bet one of the first things they'll do is shut down civilian GPS.

>"investment"
um, no but a mechanical watch can't get hacked and you don't need to charge it so there's that

Attached: 1563451936096.jpg (750x823, 118K)

>don't need to charge it
you have to wind it, and if it doesnt have "hacking" itself its a pain in the ass

I own one of these “diver’s watches” they got some gravity to them, seem well protected and use a nip movement with a manual wind which you can’t fuck up. Also, has tritium inserts on every hour and minute hand, pretty bright at night.

I’ve worn it to the beach a few times and gone swimming with it. No signs of corrosion but I still run it under fresh water to keep the salt out. Overall a nice watch.

Attached: 04D6E2D1-7120-414C-8B9E-0A5288A97369.jpg (1024x680, 137K)

dont those have lumed bezels too? I kinda want to get one of the ones with the abalone shell dial

>How important would you say knowing the time or day of the month is going to be once society collapses?
ZERO

Time precision is a modern constraint that even most people don't follow.

Sundown, Sunrise and high noon are more than enough to coordinate whatever you need.
You won't be busy enough to need time precision.
If you need a timer, get an hourglass.

Watchmaker here. If society collapses I won't have any oils or cleaning solutions by the time your automatic reaches its required service time. Assuming I'll even be alive by then, won't have my tools looted, and I won't shoot you on sight for trying to approach my hideout.

I could see a whole box of these with batteries being worth the money.

Attached: 91JegIxgwML._SL1500_.jpg (804x1500, 195K)

Get a Rolex Milgauss

If you were coordinating with others it would be useful to have a common way to measure time.

>Muh EMP meme

Unless your digital watch is thr size of a small town, you don't need to worry about this. It will be immune to any EMP related effects. Same as vehicles, electronic optics, cellphones and other personal electronics etc. The only things that get fried are the electric grid and perhaps things that are plugged into walls (unless you have a surge protector)

they lose/gain a few seconds every month. casios are neet but you really need a more accurate source to correct the time with periodically.

Attached: 1494367096297.gif (285x171, 982K)

Hamilton 9797 from the 90s

Attached: IMG_20190725_144026.jpg (4608x3456, 1.83M)

Next time I have $11,000 laying around, I'll pick one up.

Attached: Rolex-Milgauss-116400GV-Blue-front.jpg (1400x1000, 124K)

man that looks awful

Watch nerds have been discussing the possibility of atomic timekeeping broadcasts ending due to budget cuts!

This.

I've seen them for 7k

This. All Tier 1 operators wear Rolex however you’ll need a speedmaster if you’re gonna oper8 inna Space.

Attached: 12377030-685F-43D0-A31A-81464DC6F74A.jpg (1868x2048, 840K)

Not a bad choice.

Attached: Marathon-GPM-SS-Review-15.jpg (1920x1280, 1.6M)

>even high class chronograph-rated
Poorfags don't even spring-drive. pfft
Accuracy in regards to watch is only ever going to be useful to time and coordinate things.

Everyone in this thread is saying that Mech Watches aren't accurate over a long time.

It doesn't fucking matter if they are accurate, aslong as you are synchronized. If SHTF there is no timezone regulations.

If you go to the eastern most part of a time zone, the sun comes up earlier than if you are in the west.

Just make sure anyone you want to coordinate is synced and you would be fine. If anything, you could create you own timezone, as in 6:00 AM is when the sun breaks the horizon and be permanently fine.

"Hey I need to bake this bread for 20 minutes"
>sets bezel to current time
>looks at it occasionally

Attached: Sub.jpg (2957x2923, 1.6M)

Just get a solar powered digital watch. If youre concerned about losing 1-2 seconds a month, just remember to set it back by 1-2 seconds every month....

Why?
Laughs in 1.5 Tesla magnetic resistance.
This, honestly.

>pic

Attached: Gauss.jpg (4032x3024, 1.67M)

? because its a cheap watch using a mechanism thats not perfectly accurate?

Why do you need perfectly accurate time? There's no reason for it. The only thing you would need it for is naval navigation. Everything else can be done with orienteering. 100% of people won't be doing naval navigation in SHTF scenario.

>SHTF
Fuck off, Jow Forums

This. It seems like sunrise would be as accurate as you'd have to be.

position of sun, moon and stars
worked fine for the ancients.
just dont be such a panty waist

no, its not just watch nerds, anybody who requires precise reference for adjusting and setting their time pieces to will sorely miss WWV Timecode broadcast

Nah, I really like watches but you would be better served with a Casio or 10, a screwdriver, and a pack of spare batteries.

>more accurate than a quartz digital Casio
Wew
Someone doesn't know how mechanical watches work

definitely. a non-electronic watch is the only watch that will survive an EMP. it's the only real SHTF watch. everythign else won't last even 4 years after SHTF.
>Solar
it also has a battery. battery that can fail and you won't find a replacement. won't work without one either.

>LOOK AT THE SUN YOU FUCKING NIGGER
you won't be able to look at the sun if there's a nuclear war and there's a nuclear winter outside.
solar cells will also be fucking usless.

Attached: 1543102776053.jpg (907x510, 71K)

EMPs are remarkably easy to defeat. Look into Faraday cages. If someone has a DW5600 and a spare battery in a filing cabinet they will outlast a Rolex without servicing by 10 years. Any automatic movement requires servicing at more often intervals that modern quartz pieces need batteries changed, and even then any monkey with the proper tool can change a battery.
I agree that solar probably isn't the best choice for only having one watch in the apocalypse.

yeah, but if it hits TONIGHT, how fucked are you? I'd wager you don't have a faraday cage and don't keep all your electronic shit in there.
anyway, it's pointless to debate this bullshit. it's much easier to have non-electronic backups of common devices that will always work.

How the hell do people wake up before electricity and alarm clocks. What a hell it must have been to try and coordinate militaries in the middle ages and antiquity

You'll probably want a solar powered, like the citizen ecodrive. Autos will lose/gain a couple seconds/minutes every couple days/weeks. My orient mako will only lose a minute for a week, but my seiko 5 will lose like 5 minutes in the same amount of time.

If you're just using it as a stop watch it'll be fine.

He said that already retard, a filling cabinet is 100% emp proof. A Faraday cage isn't a fancy wire mesh of specific orientation that cost money, it's any space surrounded by metal on all sides. Like a metal desk or filling cabinet.

Any building where you have shitty cell reception, thats emp proof

>retard
the only retard here is you.

I need to know the time and date so I can make muh hot date with my waifu

Normal watch batteries lose about 1% capacity a year just sitting on the shelf, so manufacturers call them "expired" after 10 years, or 90% charge remaining. But you can still expect them to work well enough, especially in simple shit like a cheap casio, down to like half that easily, so more like 20-30 years if you store them well, although they'd start lasting less and less time and be a bit hit and miss around the end of that probably.
A good sturdy mechanical will last for basically ever if you take care of it, but they're also more delicate and harder to replace than a basic casio. If you can do repairs yourself then you probably already own several anyway.
In terms of accuracy they're basically equivalent. A really fancy mechanical can be nearly perfect, and a really shitty digital can be really bad, but for the most part they'll both be easily good enough for the kind of things you'll care about, which will mostly just be "I should be back by around 2, if I'm not come look for me" etc.

So basically unless you're already a watch guy who has the tiny screwdrivers and shit to fix a decent mechanical, or you're going hard on the "complete and total collapse of global civilization, lets start our own pre-industrial society" thing, you're better off picking up a few decent casios and a box of batteries.

automatics are shit for this, their accuracy is trash and requires daily synchronization even on high end watches.
as for SHTF it depends on how hard it hits the fan , if the US airforce is still doing maintenance on the GPS constellation you cant get anything better then pic related, it's solar charging,quartz accurate and has a GPS. you can also charge it via USB (from a mobile solar array or thermometric generator).
if' it's a major SHTF you need an atomic\optical clock, an optical one is idea but a cesium clock is the most affordable.
microsemi.com/product-directory/clocks-frequency-references/3824-chip-scale-atomic-clock-csac#overview
as for the one on your hand just get a casio\seiko\citizen solar and synch it with your main clock every few months.

Attached: 912VeoH7n6L._UX342_.jpg (342x426, 26K)

just a correction it's quartz accurate when not being synched to GPS. when synched to GPS it's as accurate as whatever clock array the airforce uses.
ideally for complete civilizational collapse you'd want a quantum ion trap\optical clock or depending on the condition of earth's atmosphere (if nuclear war) you can use a pulsar clock

Am I poorfagging properly?

Attached: Восток.jpg (768x960, 216K)

You're all retarded. Small electronics are already naturally immune to EMPs, with or without a faraday cage.

Nuclear winter is a myth based on cold war propoganda.

if you worry about 15 seconds loss of time accuracy after years of SHTF, you're doing well.

as long as it says noon at around noonish and is on the correct day of the week, what are you complaining about? If you're operating, you sync watches with your team, even then very few activities require coordination to the second.

>100% of people won't be doing naval navigation in SHTF scenario.
that is inaccurate. The oceans are extremely valuable because if there are humans still alive, fish will also be alive, and that's food.

Lol yeah

Attached: image.jpg (3264x2448, 1.23M)

No.
Go buy some rice and beans fag.

I've worn a Speedmaster since the mid-90's. You have to get it serviced and it is expensive. Get a solar watch.

Can we put this meme to rest? If things have gotten so bad a digital watch is fucked, you wont be coordinating with anyone. No one is going to want your fat ass covering them, let alone helping them raid a supply depot.

you know that you can set the time on a watch right? And so can your buddy you know? Have you considered this at any point in your life?

Luminor marina. Decent enough, not wild about it

Attached: Screenshot_20190724-135538_Gallery.jpg (1080x2220, 1.15M)

I'd go with something like this

Attached: Bovet-Recital-20-Asterium-3.jpg (1000x750, 998K)

cool shirt, post more