How do we make the crossbow relevant again?

Attached: 4f99838a853883b87e7a2e230e646eae.jpg (1000x562, 88K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10484?tab=images
twitter.com/AnonBabble

How about a crossbow that uses electrified rails railgun/coilgun/gaussgun/whatever style

nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10484?tab=images

Attached: 10484-0-1471060698.jpg (1920x1200, 576K)

Relevant for what? They’re quite popular in the hunting world.

More popular than compound bows?

like making anti tank exploding bolts or body armor piercing bolts, or new designs etc. i want to make crossbows good for modern warfare

Attached: 3.jpg (980x735, 85K)

Sorry OP but I don’t really see a way to do that. Only thing you could really do are new and interesting payloads, and why not just fire them faster out of a metal tube?

High velocity drone launcher?
Fire-and-forget bolts with loiter and multi-kill capability?

Traditional bows are better suited for combat than crossbows. You can shoot faster, nock and draw on the move etc.

if you could make one which launched a heavy projectile you could make grenades.
They already can pierce kevlar easily. Obviously would defeated by Sapi's though.

Have you looked into Ravin? They seem to be doing a pretty good job of it.

Adding a magazine and a repeating lever.

With an electrical servo motor and a gear system that operates a rack&pinion cocking mechanism one could go up to 250 lbs Excal tier limbs easily.

Attached: EK-Archery-Cobra-RX-Adder-Tactical-Repeating-Crossbow.jpg (1087x725, 111K)

>how do we make the crossbow relevant again?
I was idly chatting with a uniformed cop once and said "hey, I read that a crossbow bolt will defeat body armor" and he got pissed off and got snappy with me.

[laughs in german]

Attached: maxresdefault (7).jpg (1280x720, 203K)

Crossbow was a stopgap weapon anyway. The only thing it could be valued for today is it's silence.
To modernize it it would need to be semi auto, with decent capacity, and bolts would need to be cheap.

Ok but real talk, if we're gonna modernize it regardless of practicality or its actual real-world effectiveness there's some stuff that can be done.

Add a servo to automatically draw. With some clever gearing you could get a 250KV brushless motor to give you a 250-350lb draw weight in a few seconds.

A magazine for bolts would be an obvious adddition given that you'd probably be capable of kicking out a bolt every second or so.

You'd be able to make the bolts pretty heavy as well which would help with stopping power. I imagine that some type of full-hard steel or ceramic(given the lower material stresses at firing) tip could be used for penetration.

it'd still be stupid but at least it's expensive stupid

Attached: lars-sowig-bllista-3-v1.jpg (1920x1246, 370K)

>Ok but real talk

Go be a nog somewhere else

Gunpowder

Attached: images.jpg (284x177, 8K)

This.
Gun warfare is gay even African children can do it.
Gibs medieval warfare.

Attached: 1563777175882.jpg (687x686, 88K)

Change the propulsion system from a spring(the bow is a kind of spring) to something more convenient, like little brass packages full of something that will burn real fast to push the crossbow bolt with hot expanding gases

Maybe there could be a few small niche roles where you need near silent propulsion and whatever youre launching doesnt need to go far.

The only use in modern warfare a crossbow has is a versatile silent platform for special forces that can shoot explosives, plant or cut ropes and dispatch enemies in an environment that's too dangerous for firearms to be used in such as nearby gas leaks or thin walls with civilians near where an overpenetrating firearm put other people's lives at risk.
Other than that I could see them employed as silent sniping weapon and demoralization tool in asymetrical warfare, employed by guerillas.

Where crossbows really shine is SHTF situations, as you can repair them easily and make/reuse ammo, and as a firearm substitute for civilians in cucked countries where xbows are unregulated. With a mag and a fast loading mechanism they can be formidable home and property defense tools although the bow can't be too wide to maneuver indoors.

>versatile silent platform
>that can shoot explosives
Kek. Go back to black ops.

that's a good game though

Why should you be unable to strap a charge w/impact detonator to an arrow? Idk if anybody is doing it but it is technically possible.

Attached: 450px-Peruvian_crossbow_usage.jpg (240x320, 48K)

Either attach a bomb to the bolt/arrow or attach a zipline to it to help with travel.

well bullet proof vests are designed to scatter the force of very small things moving very very very fast, so the forces that are coming from a large object moving nowhere near as fast should go straight through body armor.