Bolt action info

Want to buy a bolt-action caliber .308 for hog/deer hunting.
My options are
Tikka T3X
youtube.com/watch?v=2fvNn3mu1cY

Merkel RX Helix
youtube.com/watch?v=PNw2Wj3y7kE

Howa 1500
youtube.com/watch?v=R53AcJ6ReeE

Which one would you pick and why?

Attached: 61711-DEFAULT-L.jpg (1350x700, 53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sako.fi/en-us/rifles/sako-85/85-bavarian-carbine
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Have you checked your game regs? Some places have stupid restrictions on what you can shoot deer with.

The RX Helix is by far superior to the others, what craftsmanship and quality is concerned, and repeats like a dream. I'd definitely pick the RX Helix in your situation, though at that price level, you might also want to consider the Blaser R8.

The caliber is allowed here in Belgium for hunting deers and boars.
The reason I want it in .308 is so that I can also use it for shooting at the range, which is at a distance of 25m so I'm only allowed to use these plastic training ammo there (pic related).

Attached: dag-762mmx51308-german-training-ammo.jpg (458x458, 36K)

Are these even obtainable in the US? I see a bunch of reviews but no retailers.

Blaser should be, I think they even have a US website. Merkel, however, I cannot say for sure. Might be they list their retailers on their website.

Thanks for the info, the Blaser is not available in my country so I'll probably go for the helix.

That stuff is actually fun to shoot. No recoil and a 10 grain projectile moving at stupidly fast speed. At 25m it'll be more than adequate.

Please post back when you get it, it's such a cool rifle that any and all hands-on experience with it is appreciated.

Tikka hands down.

I have the gun in your pic in 300blk for maximum whispering. The bolt is sticky and it's kind of crappy, but for the money, well worth it. Also my vote is for the Tikka.

What are some other full stocks besides CZ 527 in .223? Because that shits sexy and I have had piss all luck trying to find another full stock in it's price range.

Attached: CZ 527 FS.jpg (3200x2400, 3.14M)

Winchester model 70.

I want one of these in 223 but the only ones I can find are in stupid calibers like 243 or 270

Sako Bavarian carbine is beautiful

sako.fi/en-us/rifles/sako-85/85-bavarian-carbine

I know, that is also why I said in the same price range, not 4 times more expensive.

It could have something to do with CZ being a bunch of alcoholic vodkaniggers who only have a vague idea of how to put together a Firearm longer than 10 inches, and Sako being a bunch of professional alcoholic vodkaniggers who have a very good idea of how to put together a Firearm longer than 10 inches.
I wouldn't touch a stolen CZ rifle with another man's stolen dick on stolen long stick unless I had to - it's all muck made for the American market, which largely consists of a bunch of muppets with a very clear idea of what they want without quite knowing why.
A Sako Bavariam or a Tikka Battue will shoot in circles around the CZ 527 every day of the week, mark my words. Never trust an East European to do anything well unless they're beaten properly.

>muppets
Says the guy who gets arrested for buying kitchen knifes without an ID and state license.

Remington 700

Definitely Tikka. The action is glassy smooth

Finally. I just bought the Howa 1500 apc America flag chassis.
Coulda got the bergara hmr. Or the rpr or savage.
But my buddy has the Howa white tail and talked me into it.

Did I screw up? The Howa gets a lot of love but for 1100$ I coulda gone another way.

Please bolty boys. Let me know what I'm in for.
Oh and 6.5 creedmore. Of which I also know nothing.

Attached: p_100026644_5.2.jpg (400x400, 7K)

What's a Merkel? Never seen one.

Fancy Euro rifle company. They make some super pricey straight pull bolt guns. I didn't know they sold a gun under 3k usd.

14 pound rifle
Hope it's for paper and not innawoods

I already answered this question for you.

Yes, you fucked up.

Well what should I have got? The bergara? The Tikka?
Howas have a decent rep. I'm lefty anyways. I gave up on getting a lefty bolt action.

My biggest concern is the 6.5 creed. I've never even seen anyone shoot it before. I hope it's not some unicorn caliber I'll never find.
Even though youre shitting on me I appreciate the feedback. I'm sure I overpaid for a 1000 yard paper puncher.
But like I said my buddy loves his Howa. It's a nice rifle.
I think i fucked up with getting a chassis rifle as well.
And what in the fuck is this about it having ar 15 furniture and bolt extractor?

>The Tikka?
Bingo, that's what you should have done.
>I hope it's not some unicorn caliber I'll never find.
It's not that rare. Every gun store in my area caries it anyway. It is a barrel fucker though.
>I think i fucked up with getting a chassis rifle as well.
Yeah, probably. But fuck it, you want to larp as the accursed offspring of some kind of Captain America x Chris Kyle yaoi fanfiction, so I'm sure it'll all work out for you
>And what in the fuck is this about it having ar 15 furniture and bolt extractor?
Looks like it uses an AR buffer tube so any AR stock should work, looks like AR grips too. I dunno, if you just really love AR ergonomics or looking tacticool that's great.

My CZ 527 is a sweet shooter. It's a great rifle.

I like you my man.
Allright. Noted. I fucked up. Kinda wish you had some thoughts on the Howa as a platform but yeah I shoulda gone Tikka.
Then again it was just an impulse buy for my first bolt action. Live and learn. I'm sure I'll have fun with it.
I'm too dumb and inexperienced to know the difference.
Also any thoughts on fixed power scopes?
I don't hunt so I don't see the drawback of not being able to get a pig 50 yards away from me.

For the record I did ask Jow Forums before I bought and the consensus was Howa = Tikka. At least I didn't get a rem 700 right?

>Then again it was just an impulse buy for my first bolt action. Live and learn. I'm sure I'll have fun with it.
Yep. And it won't make a huge difference, almost all modern bolt actions are good guns. It's not like you bought a total piece of shit, just for the money you could have gotten a better gun in my opinion
>at least I didn't get a rem 700
thank god
>Also any thoughts on fixed power scopes?
I do the vast majority of my shooting with iron sights and single power optics, I don't think I'm really qualified to answer that. I'd still say variable is the way to go, especially for the type of rifle you're getting.

Nigger the Howa is just a jap version of the rem 700 with no aftermarket support
You shoulda saved money and got the 700

>Howa
>no aftermarket support
dude, howas come in all sorts of shapes sizes and shit, they literally make any configuration you could possibly want.

Well if you want a chassis rifle why not get a Savage or Ruger?
You think Howa have the same level of support? Craftsmanship they are all on the same level maybe.
But howas and tikkas are just look at how special I am guns.

I think the most important thing is buying in that price range. I've got a Remington 700 I bought used with .308, and a new Mauser M18 with 6,5x55. Other good buys are probably Howa 1500, Tikka 3X, Browning Nordic Light, Sauer 100 XT etc. I'd recommed checking out the second hand market, at least there's some pretty good finds in my area. I bought one new for my main hunting, but the used one was almost like new.

>It is a barrel fucker though.
How bad is it really? The same is said about my 6.5x55, but it really means "good for 7000 rounds or so as a match rifle before being relegated to hunting use for about 2000-3000 rounds or so".

>Even though youre shitting on me I appreciate the feedback. I'm sure I overpaid for a 1000 yard paper puncher.
To be brutally honest with you, you did. For one, Howa rifles are Toyotas - they'll work beautifully, but the lower price is supposed to be key. What's more, you should have sat down and done some research into which stock or chassis you wanted. Not saying you got a bad one, but I'm just not that big a fan of the whole pistol grip thing. As long as it works for you, I suppose.
What I'm going at is that Howa as a brand is fine, and the 1500 can be what you want it to be with a huge aftermarket, and 6.5 will work brilliantly for paper and hunting. Your greatest and only "mistake" was overpaying, but impulse buys tend to work like that. Put a few thousand rounds through it and get to like it, then come back and share your experiences with it rather than worrying needlessly about what other people think about it.

Lighter rifles are really best left for experienced shooters. Anyone will shoot better with a heavier rifle with a good balance and weight distribution than a short-barreled feather light gun with a heavy brake or suppressor and a heavy scope on top.
If he's using it for paper, he can just chuck it in his pack and carry it like that. 14 lbs isn't even that heavy, and a good weight for a typical blind or post gun.

6.5s are more like 3k match rifle.

But almost no one shooting for fun/hunting makes it that far.

Fixed power is good, depending on what you want to do with the rifle.

The US military snipers (this does not mean they are using the best optic for the job) use fixed 10x. In fact many militarys use fixed power scopes for snipers almost all under 10x.
Fixed power vs equal priced variable, fixed generally has better glass, tracking, and durability. Clarity >> magnification.
My 7wsm wears a Swfa fixed 6 and for a general purpose rifle 4x or 6x is great.

>beaten properly
But they often are beaten properly. Just sometimes there's the one who slips through the cracks.