Radio Thread

Old Bread

Icom Masterrace Edition

Radio thread? Radio thread.
>post 'em
>discuss 'em

>§ 95.591 Sales of FRS combination radios prohibited.

>Effective September 30, 2019, no person shall sell or offer for sale hand-held portable radio equipment capable of operating under this subpart (FRS) and under any other licensed or licensed-by-rule radio services in this chapter (devices may be authorized under this subpart with part 15 unlicensed equipment authorizations).

Attached: 6326BED9-D3EC-41D2-B82D-CAB931D96FDD.jpg (2048x1536, 456K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ah1YubhfkBE
murphyjunk.net/harris-gear
rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/123777754066
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yaesubros rise up

Attached: 1545537419632.jpg (5152x3864, 3.71M)

(You)
(You)
So I have two really stupid questions about the UV5R since it's the cheapest and all I can do with it is listen:

1. I've seen childrens walkie talkies at stores for 5 bucks. They have shitty material since they're made fro children, but they work. You don't need a license for those. I've also seen high quality walkie talkies for adults that are made for camping and hunting. They are made from better materials and often have better range than the kids radios. SOMETIMES both of these radios can work with each other. On a childrens radio my cousin has, his channel 4 is the same as his dads motorola radios channel 11. ALL of the time, neither of them need licenses or any paperwork. Why can't a UV5R be 'tuneed' to the same frequency as these and then be used with out a license?

2. Can UV5R be tuned to listen to local AM/FM radio and international shortwave radio?

Attached: 1564199739894.jpg (1130x1500, 743K)

you can do both of those things easily

>Why can't a UV5R be 'tuneed' to the same frequency as these and then be used with out a license?
Practically, it can.
Legally, it has a removable antenna and therefore violates FCC law.

So, UV-5R or the BF-F8HP? Consensus on HYS antenna? Is ABBREE a better bet?
Also, Pic related is my larp. Anyone have any solutions for fitting a baofeng into one of those wingman style pouches? I literally shoved a pair of socks in there to take up the empty space and make it more comfy against my side. Although an extra pair of socks can be handy, but are there better pouches or some sort of insert?

Attached: PC.jpg (2594x2970, 1.41M)

>Practically, it can.
>Legally, it has a removable antenna and therefore violates FCC law.

I...see.
How would anyone know though?
Oh shit, really? I've been listening to shortwave on my Kaito 228 already and loving that I can hear the whole world on it.

Attached: 1564099793642.jpg (675x900, 77K)

>tfw when I just wanted commo for hiking in the woods
>flooded with so many options
>dual band/tri band/quad band ht's
>aftermarket antenna options

Wtf do I start with? I bought a uv5r and a better antenna, and the AA battery pack for it, but havent been able to take the time for the technicians license yet. Just been listening to some local repeaters and the couple of remaining fire/police departments that havent gone trunked or digital yet.

Is there anywhere that gives a basic breakdown on the different bands and some do's/dont's, and what to look for with radios?

I'd like to buy a better/more capable radio down the road, but I can't even get my feet wet yet.

hamstudy.org?

Attached: 1562623311376.png (1248x1920, 1.57M)

>How would anyone know though?
A high-power output can be detected (5-8 watts) with the right receiver, and then your position can be triangulated with other radios and repeater towers in your area.

If you remain on 3 watts and you don't shit up the airwaves nobody knows because nobody cares to find out - you look like a camper-walkie to those who would be looking.

Oh! Now that makes sense! Okay! So I just have to figure out which of these *legal frequencies* are listed in the other thread
FRS
GMRS
FT-8 mode
CB
are being used by the other radios, and then you can tell the UV5R to use 3 watts of power instead of 5? I can do that and I'm good?

Attached: 1563957662600.jpg (480x740, 42K)

All that, plus don't be a douche on the airwaves - and yeah, you're good. I've been doing exactly this for the past 3 years when I go kayaking, no issues.

This. Keep the output power LOW. Download Chirp software and preload FRS/GMRS/MURS and pump them to your radio. Keep the output power LOW.

FRS/GMRS Share some freqs

Attached: CB69A019-83C2-448D-AD87-1F5CE8BAA93C.jpg (604x630, 137K)

Neither. Spend the extra cash and grab a Puxing PX-888K

Attached: 9CCEE655-677F-4EEC-894F-90689E45144E.jpg (600x600, 48K)

It's also worth mentioning - you can't access CB channels/frequencies on UHF/VHF radios.

This. CB is a completely different modulation type (Amplitude).

Start here, HikeAnon.

youtu.be/ah1YubhfkBE

Attached: FAB18C56-E855-475E-AE38-B3FF42AAF3AD.jpg (1536x2048, 470K)

>need radio setup under 500$
>have sordins to hook radio to
>need waterproof over anything because of frequent flooding
>dont know shit about radios at all

Was told in the last thread to try the TRI 152 clones out, are those waterproof and everything? Whats the difference between those and the mil issued ones?

I would suck your dick for that VX-8R

Also have a motorola 6550 that I got from work, but I dont understand how to use it, if I need repeaters, etc. Ive used it in flooded conditions multiple times so its good to go, Im just not sure how to actually put it to use

they can, and so can a lot of other HTs, youre just not "supposed to" but baofengs have shitty transmission that will make everyone near that band hear you, so only use it in "emergencies", if you have a better HT radio that doesnt shit all over the air waves that can transmit under 2 watts or half a watt per channel, then yeah go ahead

you need a general to run FT-8

fancy airsoft case yougot there

can you enter in frequencies or is it locked?

What is "legally" the best way for long range communication? I might get my Ham radio license, but other then that, what can I do without it?

Cellphone

Seriously, ham is nice in an area without cell service or in times it goes down, but cellular is best.

So in a month you wont be able to buy these things? Should I just go buy a baofeng before they are gone?

Ok, but what are alternatives to cellphone? Something completely off grid?

I’ll have to send it to one of those programming services on ebay cause the program costs like 400 bucks. I only have like 5/15 channels programmed for work so Ill still be able to use it.

Just not sure if itd be worth trying to set it up since I dont know if I need repeaters and shit to use it

I need a good radio for harvest and communicating between the tractors/ trucks/ combines. What is the best handheld that will give me several miles of range and do decent in rough terrain, lots of hill and valleys where I live which might not really be feasible go communicate around. I have 4 UV-5Rs that a buddy programmed for me with the basic FRS channels and GMRS but it still doesn't seem like they work any better then an old Motorola Talkabout 250 which are many years old but still working great. Do I need to do some modification to the UVs to get them to work better? I live in a very rural area so I'm not too worried about interfering with important frequencies.

basically nothing
CB is limited propagation

better antennas or you can nig rig up some tiger tails

testareno

I've got some better antennas then the ones they ship but they are like 18" long or something and bounce around, I like to clip the radios on my pocket sometime. What are the tiger tails?

Sub room temp IQ brainlet detected.
You can bounce ham radio signals all over the world and even into space. Transmitting illegally on ham radio id hands down the best way communicate.

They are, in fact, submersible rated. Will work with either dynamic or condenser mics. Will work with .mil accessories with zero modifications. True full-duplexing. Extremely selective receiver. Very good output power. A dude on M4Carbine shot his with a 9mm and it’s still working, with the exception that the pressure wave blew out his speaker. Battery life is measured in DAYS, not hours. Cross-band repeating. Will work with issues Harris batteries.

>inb4 muh Baofeng in a fancy case meme

fine, bootleg if you want, he said legal way

you can try one of the abbree antennas or take a 6.5 inch length of insulated copper wire and attach it by taking a bit of insulation off then unscrewing the phillips screw on the back side underneath the antenna and tie the wire on then rescrew it

I got about $100 to play with. I'd like to get 2(if possible 3) baofengs. Which model should I be looking at? Amazon link if possible pls

>Battery life is measured in DAYS, not hours
isnt that proof that isnt anywhere close to PRC152 and that its a glorified wouxun with 6 pins that you cant program or use accessories with (because who in fucks name has a 6 pin)

VX6R or FT70DR?

Well sounds plenty good for me.

So what would all would I need to hook it up to my Sordins?

Don’t buy one then lol

I just got uv 82 beofengs they are 25 apiece on Amazon and seem to have better sized buttons for non elf/Asian people

poochang bros only
uv5r+ here

whats good? what can I get that will let me speak and receive transmissions to others? I have some knowledge on radios but no idea whats good outside the baofengs that are posted

what makes the id51a better than the id31a

VX-6R has wider receive (if you care about that), it also can transmit on a lot of frequencies with an out of band mod (if you care about that). The only good things I can say about FT-70DR is that it has a bigger battery and System Fusion which is basically a meme I don't know anyone who uses that.

Multiband. VHF/UHF. 31 is UHF only.

so are any of these UHF or VHF im new to radioshit

Attached: 1564539874775.png (800x1200, 324K)

also im aware the top ones are

Attached: 1564539569243.png (900x1136, 616K)

Dual band is the magic word.

VHF: 1XX.XX frequencies
UHF: 4XX.XX frequencies

ah i see, because I have the UV-5R+ me and my gf have them, I have yet to read the manual to figure out everything. Assuming I can reach most Jow Forumsommando boog channels thanks to poochang bros.

Thanks friend. I want to get a nicer Yaesu and a cheap bowchang.

Are there any sets that are both analog and digital rx capable? I don’t know anything but is seems like being able to pick up both types of signals while scanning could be useful in an emergency?

I have one of each, they're both fairly similar.
Ordered two extra uv-5r for my local friends.
Pic my bf-f8hp.

Attached: raydeeyo.jpg (1380x1035, 404K)

do you like the Abbree? me and gf just got them for our UV5R+

Considering buying an abbree, supposedly they work great.
Right now I have a Nagoya 771R and it performs excellently.

Oh. So I guess I can't talk to truckers and hunters? Okay. Is there a radio that's a step up from the UV5R that can do CB as well?

NEW question. I live in a harbor city and there are island with public access that people can camp on. Some have WW2 ruins on them I want to explore. The sea taxis and ferrys all told me that they use "VHF" when I asked them about it. They said if I had a VHF radio it's legal for me to call them, but they all just call it "marine radio". None of their boat workers have or need any licenses for it, but they all have these little boxes in their boats that can do VHF. Can the UV5R, or something up from it, also do marine radio?

Attached: 1562793262608.jpg (3024x4032, 458K)

yeah, just unlock the frequency transmit range

Where did you find such a smol pouch? Can’t find one that size. I had to put a balled up sock to keep mine from riding too low in the pouch.

How do you do that?

Not the same poster. Just curious.

depends on the firmware, some versions already transmit on innapropiate frequencies, you can set it in a software called CHIRP with a programming cable

yea i have a nagoya 771 and so does gf but i think hers is a counterfeit so we will just use them as back ups if the abbree breaks and then use the stock antennae after.

They sell them on amazon, had to xacto the side for the walkie.

Yes, I'm starting a pile of the default rubber duck antennas.
One of the uv5r's came with a knockoff nagoya, works a little less reliably than the rubber duck.

oof, honestly the stock ones arent too bad for a baseline antenna, but man i cant wait for the Abbree.

How does EchoLink work? Someone from Chicago just echo linked into a local repeater of mine. I was monitoring due to me not having my call sign letters yet, so I couldn't ask. Do I need special privileges? Someone on another website says it's as easy as using your computer and dialing it up.

I bought the UV-5R bundle pack for like $38 on Amazon and the Nagoya 771 antenna that was supposed to come in the box was a knock off of the Nagoya 771. I haven't noticed much difference with the Nagoya 771 knock off and the stock Baofeng antenna. I bought some ABBREE tactical 28" antenna and it's about the same results - the tactical antenna sucks sometimes because it's a directional antenna methinks. When I'm pointed toward the repeater it'll work fine.

Is there a known way to reflash a newer uv5r with the older firmware?

Ok, is there a point to picking up a tri band or quad band ht as a fng?

would probably brick the radio, just get a cord and use chirp

cool points?

no, not really 2 meter 220 and 440 is practically CB radio with extra steps at this point anyhow

>waterproof
>massive battery
>Chad TNC CS Virgin SMA connector
>All stainless hardware
>Full-Duplex
>256 memory channel capacity
>literally bulletproof
>excellent front end
>10W PEP
>Works with .milsurp accessories
>Can be powered with AA or CR123 batteries via battery packs

No they suck. Just a Baofeng in a fancy case.

Attached: 77622899-1272-4A50-8059-F12570808FCC.jpg (1536x2048, 411K)

Bumping a rare good thread

Hey Jow Forums just found my dads old radio he used in the south (of argentina) I have absolutely no fucking clue on how to use it, I tried to figure out how to reach channel 16 (national coast guard) but I cant reach anythinh

Attached: IMG_20190805_122942865.jpg (1836x3264, 1.32M)

So my budget is around $750. I want to get a decent radio set up for my comtacs, that is very waterproof, excellent battery life, and is very durable. What do you guys recommend? Also I'm willing to get licensed and whatnot.

I have a pair of dualcoms I bought off a guy in /gq/ so utilizing that would be excellent as well like a close range one and a longer range one that is encrypted.

Anyone? I've done some research, but getting my hands on one of those Motorola ones would be extremely expensive and or illegal.

The TRI PRC-148 or PRC-152 (aluminum chassis) is what you seek.

Do they actually support encryption? Or is that a meme.

What's the difference between the two antennas you have there? Does one offer better gain or directionality?

if theyre anything like motorola than you need overpriced software or some other godly expensive widget to to actually encrypt the radio so you can line their pockets some more

That's unfortunate, you'd think with the whole crypto community in existence there would be some form of key generation and inexpensive encryption.

What are all these replicas I’m seeing? Can I get a real Harris one if I’m willing to drop a g or two or three?

Stillman is disappointed in your misguided faith in proprietary software, but he has mercy for those lost souls

its a controlled item, sooooo probably in like 10 years when they cant milk the government for money from it anymore, there are plenty of motorola saber 3s and ASTRO saber3s floating out there and MX 3000s

What’s my best option, money no object (best is not always most expensive) for features, battery life, water and impact proof to attach to my plate carrier and larp with, and only turn on if the world ends?

Who do you plan to talk to? Do you have a practiced comm plan and methodology for use?

These ideas need to be established an planned for when choosing radio gear. If you just want to toss something in a bag for LARPing for the never-coming BOOG® or that sweet-sweet Insta cred, go ahead and get one of the TRI replicas (#itstotallyjustaboomchanginafancycase)

I really don’t have a plan or anyone to talk to. Just want a radio that hooks into my comtacs. Think it’d be neat and have infinite money to make a good setup.

You can pick up a used 152 for around $8,000USD

The one on the left is higher gain; the one on the right is a 0dBi omni.

They have a unique audio frequency inversion/scrambler on deck that can be activated with a switch.

honestly if you dont know anything about it you shouldnt be focused on running out and buying it like some idiotic normal fag conspicuously consuming everything, HTs only operate as intended in the 2 meter/440 band where sticking a tiny brick emitting 5 volts next to your face is still sensible because sticking 10 volts or 50 volts next to your head with a giant magnetic antenna is fucking retarded even though it would be fucking awesome to have an HT that can do HF and gigahertz band and talk shit talk people in Japan scotland like youre on an open cell phone call

emergency radio only for bumfuck nowhere and you need someone to find you = just get a baofeng

slightly better HTs (like a fucking million options if youre willing to spend $100 to $400) = Icom ID51A plus2, wouxun UVD1P, wouxun KG uv9dplus (wouxons vampire drain so you have to take the batteries out when not in use) Retevis RT87, yaesu FT65R, Alinco dj g7t, yasu VX6R kenwood TH-F6A, Icom T-81A, Icom T90, Icom ID91, Icom IC 92AD , yaesuVX7r, anything else thats UHF/VHF with FM band recieve (100mhz to 900mhz)
HF/CB AM/SSB is useless in a HT with no wattage but in QRP or mobile/car radio with an actual antenna with enough watts (illegal for CB) its fine

I looked and couldn’t easily find one. Any tips for where to look?

I found a few that said they were real, but the price way way way too low.

Every now and again, Murphy’s Surplus gets them in. They were around $8,000 for a used, nerfed, commercial model.

murphyjunk.net/harris-gear

Honestly, the TRI clones are good radios for $300. They’ll work with your Sordins/Comtacs.

>buying knockoffs

>The one on the left is higher gain; the one on the right is a 0dBi omni.

Nice, source for the higher gain antenna? What frequencies is it optimized for?

rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/123777754066

380MHz-520MHz

Is There a cheap radio I can use with my comtacs and a PTT that won't get me bullied?

>murphyjunk.net/harris-gear
Aren't those TRI replica radios just chineseum baofeng guts inside of an airsofter-wet-dream-shaped case? Or do they actually have additional functionality that makes them worth $300 instead of $30?

Aren't those TRI replica radios just chineseum baofeng guts inside of an airsofter-wet-dream-shaped case? Or do they actually have additional functionality that makes them worth $300 instead of $30?

water and dust resistance, super hetero dyne reciever and dual/cross band semi duplex rf ressistant case, if the chinks bothered to make their own radio instead of making a rip off it would cost about the same

This. That, and you can flex on the poors.

a 300 dollar chink knock off that does nothing a yaesu cant do besides survive a gunshot is not flexing, my scanner costs twice as much

Are those chink antennas any good?