Historical Reenactments

What are Jow Forums's thoughts on reenactments?

Attached: Photograph-1006.jpg (3000x2000, 3.67M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5th_Georgia_Volunteer_Infantry
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

expensive glorified LARPing for boomers

this

I hadn't realized that both sides were so old or well fed and equipped.
really makes you think

buncha larpers but i respect them and am glad people devote to them, as they keep the memory of certain things around.
however none will ever fully reach the scale of anything they enact. :(

A bunch of faggots meet to see who has the shittiest impersonation of foreign accents

>however none will ever fully reach the scale of anything they enact. :(
It's incredibly sad since their numbers are going down every year.

>none
The reenactment of the battle of Picacho Peak (and Glorietta Pass) is much larger than both combined.

why do we never do LARPs in great numbers? shit like 40K

Because 40K takes a lot of work and a lot of money to get right. Took me 9 months to put together my plain clothes SOF inspired Throne Agent look with my girlfriend making the Imperial Civilian clothes. The Helgun, chest carapace and helmet were like 6 months a long with foam, lighting, and carbon fiber. Used prefab for the bolt pistol, plasma pistol, chain sword, and frag/melta/psykout grenades.

>expensive
Is it really though?
The only real expensive part I can think of is the rifle, and beyond that you can just toss on whatever looks good for the period.
And that rifle is going to cost less in the long run than an AR-15.

It's not my thing, but I think it's a great way for people with similar interests to get together and share in the hobby/history.

Talking with a few guys who are into it, apparently it's just a frat party in wool clothing for old people. Typically you start as a nerdy teenager and then just keep going the remainder of your life until you have a kid of your own to drag along, thus continuing the cycle.

>What are Jow Forums's thoughts on reenactments?
Pictures look cool but what do they actually do? Shoot volleys at each other?

Inaccurate. Not enough sabers hacking away at people or gore.

How is it glorified larping? It’s literally the DEFINITION of Karoo get. It’s live action and it’s role playing. No ones arguing that. Also it’s really not that expensive at all.

I think its neat.

I do 15th. Century shit and it's great fun desu. Mixture of general living history stuff and actual fighting. Best thing about being in Europe is you can do this shit right where it happened.

Stuff with guns is just that, a lot of Medieval and earlier stuff has actual full contact fighting.

Larping usually means "acting like you're/you've in/seen combat when you haven't" on Jow Forums.

Yah they volley. They often reenact specific events like battle of Gettysburg. Going through the step by step tactics and play by play of the event. The battles is only a fraction of it tho. They often demonstrate how general life was for soldiers and civilians. How to make period food, cartography, making cloths and materials. I particularly like making lead balls. The logistics are pretty great. You might not think of it either, but if you are into period fashion, clothing, etc it’s great. There are artists which often come as well. Also period entertainment among other things

That’s really neat I’m kinda jealous. You guys got a lot of periods to choose from. From Rome on down to wwii. Always had a soft spot for renaissance/early modern too. However, at least I’m lucky enough to be in the US for reenactments, got a good 300ish years of war history to work with. If I was in Australia there’s not much period stuff (relatively)

How do these work? How do you know if you are hit? Are you supposed to just lay down and play dead? I'd want to look around and watch what's happening. Does the side that historically lost ever win?

These The cringy reenactment community needs to be screened since it seems to attract a lot of anti-social deviants. The fact they want to escape into an imagined past instead of dealing with problems in the real world is a huge red flag for potential mass shooters. When you look at it like that it's more like a training camp for how they'd like to enact their sick fantasies upon an innocent school, mall, or government building.

Not a problem. Fuck LARPers.

Usually it's once you run out of ammo you die but some people like to pretend to get shot

Yah i know. It means that on any board. You are likening someone to a larper, ie you are playing make believe and you are not legitimately what you try to present yourself as. The thing is that re-enactments are literally the oh larping by definition. No one is actually claiming to be a confederate soldier or some shit. My point was it was not the le meme idea of a glorified larper, like a pagan larper, but a larper in the original sense. So it doesn’t really work as an insult.

Back to redd*t

Attached: 1562404059378.jpg (1920x1080, 200K)

You obviously don't know how strict most reenactment units are with their uniform standards.

Yeah, I'm well aware of it, and I personally blame all of that strictness and uptight attitude towards reenacting that has been killing it over the years.
The unit I grew up with was incredibly lenient within reason, and still allowed participation so long as you at least attempted to look the part.
That would mean anything from showing up in 100% authentic garb, jury rigging your own uniform/gear, or even just shopping at a secondhand store for clothes that at least come close with a few minor altercations that could be sewn up or on.
Couldn't afford or make it? We'd provide what we could.

Attached: ACW_Uniforms_reference_209_large.png (1920x1200, 2.05M)

Out of curiosity, did Clinch Rifles stay blue the whole war? Way to play on hard mode.

I find pre-gunpowder stuff more interesting

Looks fun, and its nice they are keeping the memory alive, like some natives on a Polynesian island dancing the stories of their ancient conquests.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5th_Georgia_Volunteer_Infantry
Says they notably wore green once they got their own uniforms, which sounds like a nice deviation from the typical grey vs blue.

Interesting how things for the South went in a loop. Started off wearing a lot of US equipment because they were in the USA. As the CSA starts hitting its peak, their army is wearing their own colors. South burns a shit-ton of cotton starting in 1862 thinking it will raise the scarcity and make at least one European nation come to their aid (Doesn't work). Towards the end of the war they're back to using a lot of captured US equipment because someone decided to burn their most precious resource and what they made their uniforms out of.

Those Zouaves uniforms are /fa/ as hell. I'd enlist in that.