Ammunition preference?

Which cartridge would you prefer for a rifle purchased exclusively for home defence?

5.56 Nato or 7.62x39mm

first time gun buyer looking to buy a rifle for when shit hits the fan but I hear that 5.56 might not be the best choice for my purposes since the cartridge is designed to severely wound moreso than outright kill.

As you all know, choice is restricted in Canada, therefore my prospective rifles include the AR15, SA20, and SKS.

Attached: 7621-755x513.jpg (755x513, 82K)

5.56, without question.

>first time gun buyer looking to buy a rifle for when shit hits the fan but I hear that 5.56 might not be the best choice for my purposes since the cartridge is designed to severely wound moreso than outright kill.

Rehased. Fudd. Bullshit. Load something like a Mk. 262 clone and maximize your terminal performance while reducing over penetration risk.

Attached: 77grTMK_06.jpg (660x315, 28K)

> I hear that 5.56 might not be the best choice for my purposes since the cartridge is designed to severely wound moreso than outright kill.

yeah

you realize this is a retarded myth right?

literally just look at some barrel length and wound profile/ballistics gelatin samples for common ammunition and determine which you prefer.

hint: first world SF choose 5.56

Attached: 12.jpg (1155x1155, 139K)

7.62x39 Hornady SST or Tula 8m3

Any 223 rounds available thatll go through a plate? Cause unless you can pierce armor, you're gonna have a hard time when SHTF.

>Which cartridge would you prefer for a rifle purchased exclusively for home defence?
5.56 is fine, 5.45 works well too. They're easy to suppress and the rifles can be fairly small.
That said, I'd pick 5.45 well before I'd consider 7.62x39. Terminal effects of 7.62x39 are dogshit in my experience, it just pokes a hole through.

Attached: IMG_4116.jpg (2500x1404, 1.53M)

Never knew this was a retarted myth, since I was told this by a friend who is an army reservist. he advised me that 7.62 would do me better in a shit hits the fan scenario since 5.56 nato was meant to severely wound and in a SHTF scenario my goal is not to wound but to kill as fast as possible.

I'm new to the scene but I'm listening to everyone, please be patient I have autism.

>army reservist

Congrats, most people in the military don't know fuck all about shooting.

>he advised me that 7.62 would do me better in a shit hits the fan scenario since 5.56 nato was meant to severely wound

He's double retarded, 5.56 is meant to maximize carrying capacity.

Your friend is a fucking idiot and a liar. Aside from which, .223/5.56 is far more common.

All of them will, if you aim for where the plate isn't.

>the cartridge is designed to severely wound
This is bait

300aac wants to know why he can't come to the party

7.62x39 would probably be better for hunting, you’ll probably shoot more animals than you will people. If all goes right your primary will be used for intimidation and you won’t have to slot anyone, its not Mad Max

This really isn't bait. I trusted what my friend said since I'm a nogun and I just wanted to look for answers while cross referencing the stuff he said.

please be patient I have autism, I deferred to him as being knowledgable since he is in the military I'm listening to everyone.

We're drinking natty lite k? His kind is too expensive.

Because he's 45cpr at the cheapest and is a ballistic twin of 7.62x39

Assault Rifle 15 in 300 blackout. If want ready availability then just get an assault rifle 15 in 5.56

5.56. Get a rifle with a 1:7 twist rate.
Shoot 75 grain rounds.
Be happy.

You trusted someone you knew and deferred to their knowledge because you were ignorant on the subject. I hardly see that as a great sin, but there's definitely some more definitive information on the subject. Don't just take my word for it. There's a lot of information on the terminal ballistics of 5.56 and 7.62x39 and I encourage you to look up wound profiles online of the two. There's some old information and some newer gel tests.

>gel tests
While not a good analogue to soft tissue, they're useful for benchmark tests and comparison. Generally, if a round performs better than another in gel, it'll do better in soft tissue as well, even if not as well as it does or did in the gel.
Generally though, the effect of 5.56 fragmenting and creating a larger permanent wound cavity than just from tumbling is a well documented effect, but the question has always been one of what projectile is being used since that can also change at what velocity the round will or won't fragment at.
Again though, feel free to look around and look up information on fragmentation of 5.56x45 ; don't just take our word for it and see what tests you can find on it.

is there anything shoulder fired that will go through a plate with somewhat available ammunition?

Anything 7.62x51 NATO. Preferably something G3 or FAL patterned.

Why? Because fuck the home invader, fuck his buddy in the car outside, and fuck my neighbor's dog who started barking when I started slinging lead.

The ak platform is dead.
the surp stuff dried up.

Unless you're home brewing some tungsten sabots, I dont think you'll find anything thatll pierce armor. Someone please feel free to correct me. One user in the handload thread said to take the bullet from a 3006 m2ap round and stick it on a hot 308, but black tips isnt actually armor piercing. It just had a steel core.

just use a Garand

use can always beat them to death with it in close-quarters

Attached: kug3i9F.jpg (4032x3024, 1.18M)

338 Lapua or .45-70 loaded very hot.

In general, no, the normal solution to plates is to shoot more bullets, more accurately, so that some of the bullets hit un-armored areas.

>.45-70
will not go through any plate moron. Big and slow doesn't go through plates.

9mm

Attached: Yeet.png (800x303, 95K)

>45-70 loaded very hot
it wont do it user

What about a 45-70 case necked down to take a 22? With like 500 grains of powder sitting behind it

Gimme the dirty 30/30 and don’t touch my goats, jackaninny.

The military believes all kinds of shit about its own shit. They taught us in MCT that shooting personnel with a .50 is against the Geneva Conventions (it's not) but that we should do it anyway and say we were shooting at equipment.

Unironically this, with lightweight hypervelocity ammo for HD and normal ammo for durr.

FX9, 9mm is cheaper to shoot and if you're a first time gun buyer your priority should be on practice

also it takes Glock mags so when you're read for a handgun you can use one standard mag and cartridge

Attached: N29N6ML.jpg (1600x565, 66K)

>7.62x39mm
they just kill better.