SSRI's and Guns

Does anyone have any sources to back up the claim that SSRI's are contributing to violent shootings? Should gun owners avoid SSRI's in general? Seems to me that the correlation doesn't imply causation; mentally ill people are more likely to be on SSRI's and are also more likely to commit violent acts.

Attached: ITR09470.jpg (288x216, 6K)

>correlation doesn't imply causation
Correlation does not prove causation - but it certainly does imply it. Though possible, it would be a hell of a coincidence if there were no causality. Should you not expect more scumbag shooters to be non-treated mentally ill rather than treated?

I'm more considering the vast number of Americans, gun owning or not, that take SSRIs and don't go on killing sprees.

Best source I have is a friend of mine personally knew one of the shooters in the STEM school shooting in Colorado. He told me that the older shooter had schizophrenia and stopped taking his meds (probably SSRI's) right before the shooting. There were a lot of other factors though, like he had just broke up with his girlfriend, he came from a shitty family, his best friend was a tranny, and he did a lot of coke. And of course this is just anecdotal evidence

Tl:dr SSRI's don't cause shootings, stopping the use of them might

>I'm more considering
Point taken, but the correlation looks pretty bad. If psychologists were true scientists then they would be working day and night to prove themselves wrong, because that is how real science works. I rarely see them critique their own or related work. If the correlation were this strong with nearly any other topic then it would get heavily scrutinized. They will likely circle the wagons if the heat gets applied to them. Freud is still highly regarded, though he was soundly established to be a fraud. His reputation only survives due to the pressure that entertainment and media keep creating to protect him.

>main side effect is disassociation
>not a factor in mass shootings
Big Thinkin

>but it certainly does imply it. Though possible, it would be a hell of a coincidence if there were no causality

For some reason you're ignoring the 3rd explanation, which is that they are co-founded. In other words, some other thing causes both. Mental illness is a great example: it causes people to take SSRIs, and it (sometimes) causes people to do stupid shit like murder a bunch of people because of the voices in their head.

Is very reasonable. If SSRIs made otherwise nonviolent people violent we probably would have a lot more documentation of that given just how common SSRIs are.

It's far more likely that the root cause lies in the person, not the drug, as OP suggests.

>stopping the use of them might
This is a potentially sound hypothesis, except for the natural link between stopping and taking. If you cannot stop without starting taking then the field is muddied a bit. If we need to watch for people coming off of their meds then we are still watching the same people on the meds that we would otherwise be monitoring.

>His reputation only survives due to the pressure that entertainment and media keep creating to protect him.
Not quite.
His reputation survives because he was a pioneer in his field. The work of many doctors and scientists persist for exactly that reason. Tesla, for example, believed in and wrote a whole pile of completely absurd bullshit, yet his name is well known for the few things he did get right. Everybody knows about Isaac Newton, but he, likewise, also wrote what we know today to be bullshit.

>you're ignoring the 3rd explanation
I am not ignoring a third position. I am only refusing to ignore a second position. Freud literally told Jung that he was bringing America the plague. It is time that we consider that, for at least once in his life, he might have been telling the truth.

The real question is why doesnt Jow Forums use them of that Jow Forums brand weaponized autism to find a solution to the problem.

I'm not that user, but it is true that some mind-altering medications (I'm talking about prescription ones, not recreational drugs) need to be tapered off if there is a need for a patient to stop taking that medication. I have had a friend seriously affected by this when he switched doctors and there was a delay in getting his prescriptions updated/filled. If a patient is on that kind of medication then any disruption in their supply of the drug--ranging from an incompetent doctor not updating the 'scrip to an idiotic patient forgetting to refill it--is not going to be a good thing.

There's also the obvious other case: stopping the SSRI didn't contribute to the shooting, but rather is a *symptom* of problems with the patient.

you should avoid SSRIs because with coming expansions, your psychiatrist will have you red flagged, if receiving mental health treatment doesnt make you an automatic prohibited person

>he was a pioneer in his field
This is what allowed him to run wild. He had a greater comprehension on the topic than probably anyone else. Any time Jung tried to apply science to Psychoanalysis, Freud balked. Further, Freud refused to allow himself to be analyzed by his own methods. If the methods were sound then he should have had no fear of them. His fear sews doubt about his own teachings.

Go back to r*ddit

The only practical, known, solution is also one that's socially unacceptable: Eugenics

>Should gun owners avoid SSRI's in general?
Fucking yes. They should be an absolute last resort. I took citalopram for a brief period. It didn't make me want to hurt anyone, but I would start having these thoughts about what different rooms in the house would look like if I shot myself. Like thinking about what someone would see if they walked in on the aftermath of my suicide. I don't know if they would mess up someone's brain chemistry enough to make them a mass murderer, but I wouldn't rule it out. Fuck SSRIs.

>should gun owners avoid ssri’s
Everyone should avoid them.
Also this.

>but rather is a
I do not fear exploring this idea but you need to not speak so much in absolutes. Exclusion of potential causalities probably got us in this state.

One of my friends had a cousin that made a big mess like this. If the need arises, just take your baggage outside and let mother nature take care of the itty bitty pieces and goo rather than someone that loved you.

>I do not fear exploring this idea but you need to not speak so much in absolutes
Sorry, I thought it was obvious we were discussing possibilities, not listing absolutes.

>. Exclusion of potential causalities probably got us in this state.
You imply that the current state is somehow very bad. I don't think it is. I'm not claiming it's perfect by any means, but I think that if SSRIs did cause violence we'd see far more evidence of it.

I choose to follow Occum's Razor here: people that are nuts sometimes do nutty things, and while you can give people drugs that sometimes help, you certainly can't "fix" people with them, and sometimes those drugs do more harm than good, especially if and when they are taken in incorrect dosages or in combination with recreational drugs of questionable purity and identity.

OFC we should study all angles here, but my money is than when the dust has settled the explanation will be the simple one: nuts gonna nut.

>Should gun owners avoid SSRI's in general?
Everybody should avoid those poisons.

I've been taking SSRI's since about 2002. I've had guns since 2006.

Never had the urge to do a mass shooting.

I don't think it's the drugs but more likely the untreated mental health issues, going off he meds, other illicit drug use that are setting these fucks off.

A lot of people get prescribed the pills and then think its all fixed or that they dont really need it and will stop taking them or do other recreational drugs that completely undo any good the ssri's are doing.

I should clarify that it's not the lack of SSRI's that caused the shooting, but it was untreated schizophrenia mixed with a bunch of other factors. SSRI's are no more likely to be causes of a mass shootings than adderall.

Perhaps it's the thing SSRIs don't work. TCA, NaSSA, SNRI, we may talk.

What's the difference?

I mean in effects, I can look them up on wikipedia. Talking about stopping drugs here, SNRIs are infamous for having horrible withdrawals, and I can attest to this causing depersonalization and a weird unsettling fixation with violence and suicide.

I have no evidence but I wouldn't be shocked at all. They're literal crazy pills, intended to treat things like depression but somehow vastly increase your chances of self harm. Imagine if they came out with a cancer pill that increased your chance of getting cancer like 500%. Would you bother? Probably only if you were too far gone to have any other options. Are you to that point?
Don't take these things lightly, and definitely not solely on the recommendation of some doctor that is more than likely being literally bribed to get people hooked on them.

Attached: asdwg.png (680x665, 312K)

SSRIs only affect serotonergic transmission, other have wider spectrum of action. You ain't supposed to withdraw any of them abruptly. Also, all of them are only a pharmacological aid, they won't cure depression, they are supposed to make you muster enough strength to drag your ass to CBT and other kinds of self-improvement.

The evolution of the mass shooting is not a hard one to track. It is part of a multifaced issue that is often times distilled into simple sound bites that are stupid. The reason we have an "increase" these days is easy, we have more folks, more access, more information and more examples than ever before. See once a secret gets out of the bag you can't ever put it back. To understand a mass shooting you need to understand the vast majority of mass shooters. They are folks who feel fundamentally ignored by society. They are the type who think that they have nothing to live for. This is why so many of them make a manifesto, record a video, etc. This is their way of getting noticed. They know that minutes after their crime someone will report, then they'll research and then their words will be up for everyone. In short this is the way they know that everyone will see them and not only that they know that they will hear and read their thoughts. In short it's a perfect combo of mental illness and loneliness. Two things that have been largely worsened thanks to decades of terrible social policies and the growth of isolation that the modern era brings (take a look at the terrible Regan era policies that basically fucked mental health for decades and is slowly being chipped away as we encourage more folks to seek help). These things will only continue to worsen till we start to address the causes. Especially when you look at the massive pool of folks who have all the risk factors. Currently this generation of young men (whites more than anyone else) is dealing with a massive identity crisis as they come to age in a new world and the tips, credentials and work they put in (at universities to get degrees) dumps them into an uncaring and difficult job market. The employment rates for this group are at record lows, while their debt burden continues to shoot up. 1/? cont.

All the while they deal with huge social stigmas when it comes to seeking help, contact and affection from all sides. Need mental help: we knew you were a threat to society! (D), we knew you weren't man enough to handle your own business! (R). Feel lonely: maybe if you weren't such a [insert favorite insult] then you would have friends etc., back in my day I never had trouble making friends and the fact that you do is because your generation never suffered (R). Need help finding a job: why worry about jobs worry about social issues (D), don't worry about jobs we're gonna keep making America great (all the while we're gonna keep outsourcing everything and killing attempts to rein in megacorps so that your worker rights continue to ink) besides if you don't have a job you just don't work hard enough (R). It's the thinking like this that continues to make already lonely and struggling folks look elsewhere in life. Now here's where it gets interesting, these shooters of the most recent batch were all young. They are the generation growing up in these difficulties and they see what lies ahead of them. In the face of this bleakness they turn to this as it again allows them a number of things they simply aren't getting. It's going to be truly interesting seeing the effects that these factors have on the future, whether or not we actually will address the real causes is a whole separate issue. 2/2

I work in healthcare.

Antidepressants, of which SSRIs are the most commonly used as first line, relieve depressive symptoms in stages. Symptoms of depression can be grouped into two main groups; somatic and psychological. A somatic symptom might be things like sleeping way too much or feeling tired all the time, etc. Psychological symptoms may be having feelings of low self-worth or suicidal/homicidal thoughts.

Antidepressants tend to improve somatic symptoms before psychological symptoms. This means someone who is suicidal/homicidal can suddenly find themselves with more energy but still have thoughts of harming others or committing suicide.

This is why SSRIs have a "black box" warning for young people. People who's prefrontal cortex, the part of your brain responsible for making rational decisions, is not fully developed.

Some of us are working really hard to test and compare the effects of different medication, but we have considerably less money than pharma. Also surprisingly high amount of patients think pills work better than changing their behavior and so they walk in and go "Give me whatever the best pill is" and the sponsored doctors just sell whoever they get a kickback from.

It's kind of like soccer moms buying into whatever the new superfood diet is and not exercising at all.
t. Clinical psychologist

Regardless of whether there are side effects to these pills that make you more likely to go kill a bunch of people, it would appears that some of the shit you need these pills for would make you more likely to go kill a bunch of people. So it may be less that you should avoid the medication as a gun owner, and more that you should avoid being a gun owner until you've sorted out that depression and/or anxiety disorder.

The only real thing wrong with this is that you wrote "ink" instead of "shrink".

Having been on a few antidepressants for a short period, you're correct. SSRI's fucked me up hardcore, and only worsened my symptoms. I switched to a tricyclic antidepressant and was only on it for a few months before I decided I did not need to take it anymore, have been great to this day and that was over half a decade ago.

ssristories.org

They are the key contributing factor in virtually every murer homicide, their side effects in 6% of subjects include idealisation of homicide and suicide. The vast majority of lone wolf domestic terrorism carried out by individuals , schoolshooters, death by cop etc are on them. This includes the first mass shooting in the UK before guns were essentially banned, single actor muslim terrorists, spree shooters, school shooters and a vast number of otherwise incomprehensible domestic murder suicides.

>Regardless of whether there are side effects to these pills that make you more likely to go kill a bunch of people, it would appears that some of the shit you need these pills for would make you more likely to go kill a bunch of people.

Actually the suicidal and homocial side effects showed up in test subjects with no prior mental issues.

In all fairness, I was generally referencing Psychoanalysts.

>to back up the claim
The manufacturers list psychopathy, thoughts of self-harm, and suicide as possible side effects.

>SSRI's
are used for depression NOT schizophrenia

Don't forget disassociation, the feeling that you aren't in "real life." A lot of these shooters say they felt like they were in a movie or a game, and a lot of them claim to not have pulled the trigger. It was all a dream.

the shootings happen because young white men are easily radicalized by right wing propaganda

SSRIs are at times given to individuals w/ schizophrenic disorders along with anti-psychotics to help with alleviating some negative symptoms

they vastly increase your chances of self harm due to anti-depressants improving symptoms like lethargy and fatigue. the drugs take a bit to fully kick in so imagine now they have energy but still have suicidal thoughts

They are, haven’t you seen the news for the past weekend? Weaponized Jow Forums autism IS the problem.

Attached: 9DA86048-2229-41B8-8ED3-B54BB83E1CFD.jpg (480x320, 23K)

Tongue my anus discord trannies. Go tend to your pus filled wounds.

I feel like shit when I dont take them.

SSRI basically mean "sexual health inhibitor". The entire category of drugs is pretty suspect. Basically America's always had a category of self-help or self-improvement drugs. Around the 20th century we actually prescribed stimulants a little too freely for depression, but they were actually effective. Then we cracked down on stims due to a minority of cracked-out tweakers creating bad publicity in California. We kept printing headlines about an "amphetamine epidemic" which literally nobody remembers because it wasn't actually an issue. Amphetamines became RX-only m, then subsequently also scheduled. This had two lasting consequences
>illicit meth got a huge boost, because why manufacture anything weaker?
>companies came up with SSRIs to dethrone amphetamine and derivatives' market share once they became tightly regulated despite poor quality studies

I read a book about this while on Adderall, that's how I know. :^)

Attached: 67050847_2026528497453404_7699331015315030016_o.jpg (1000x667, 200K)

>entitled to feeling happy all the time

Most SSRIs are ok in most people who NEED them. However, in people who don't take them correctly (using more or less than they should.) or people put on tgem who don't need them, they do cause emotional instability worse than the average "muh depression."

>be me
>have bipolar I
>own guns
>take SSRIs
>take mood stabilizers
>see people slamming mental illness as the cause of all shootings, especially neocons.

I'm """""mentally ill""""", but that doesn't mean my fucking rights should be taken away. Red flag laws scare me to death, because all it would take is for someone to lie about something I did, sort of how the "believe all women" movement did for rape, and my rights would be taken in an instant.

Attached: 9f72c83aed3b3ba6649f1947416aa915f374e2433e47900ea0fd6ad8f9cf4f34.jpg (540x960, 67K)

Additionally, I'd never dream of shooting up my local wally world. Normal fucking people have mental health issues too. We're not all psychopaths.

Attached: 1459347920719.png (800x547, 451K)

The main side effect is dizziness, followed by difficulty sleeping, followed by erectile disfunction. You only dissociate if you’re an undiagnosed bipolar on a high dose, which they are very careful to ensure that people they prescribe it to aren’t bipolar.

SSRIs are for people who don't exercise or eat correctly

Well, unless you have a clear mental disorder that inhibits your behaviors, you should not use SSRIs I've taken multiple SSRIs for 4 years and SNRIs too.