Which is it?

Ive heard people say the bullet is snug in the barrel and rubs against the barrel wall when fired.
Another thing ive heard is that the bullet will glide easily through the barrel because it has a few tenths of a millimeter on either side to slide through. Which is it?

Attached: 7D62DF03-7B4F-4CAB-944C-CB2B30755F3B.jpg (900x313, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/6gecaRGGaYU?t=631
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

the bullet has to make contact with the barrel as it travels through or else how would barrel grooves effect the bullet's rotation?

Snug. Plus the expanding gasses cause the base of the projectile to expand and engage the rifling.

snug, in fact, if the bullet isn't pushed throught the barrel with enough force it can get stuck inside

ſnug

Modern bullets are often about .001 or .002 inches larger than bore diameter. They are swaged down to bore size, as well as having the rifling engraved upon them, during firing.

You can easily see this in any handloading book or catalog showing bullets for sale. For example, ".223 Remington" actually uses .224 inch diameter projos. The bullets I use for my .17 rem are .172" actual diameter.

Holy shit the state of modern Jow Forums

Shoot guns and one day you will encounter a squib

it's summer
pinkopol is here
shits fucked man

This. Plus don't forget that Eight Chan has been closed, so the zombie hordes are wandering the internet

Also definitely true
Queers should just stick to their discord circlejerks
Fuck knows they aren't fooling anyone here with their lazy ass shitposts

This
The bullet is a few millimeters thicker than the barrel. A .308 bullet is shot out of a .30 caliber barrel, a .454 bullet is shot out of a .45 caliber barrel, a .223 bullet is shot out of a .22 caliber barrel.

bullet expands and fills into the rifling.

magic wind, I guess

what the fuck
are you retarded?
If that were the case you would have an overpressure situation
a 308 barrel is .308, not .30 you moron

One time I got a surplus rifle dirt cheap because I tested the rifling by sitting a projectile in the muzzle, when the dude saw it didn't fit into the muzzle he thought it wasn't safe to fire

He's half retarded.
A ".308" barrel measures .300 down the bore, but the rifling grooves are cut deeper than that, usually to .308. When you buy bullets for .308, they come in various diameters from .308 to .312 or so.

It's wrong to say that a bullet is "a few millimeters thicker" though, it's more like "a few thousandths of an inch"

this

A bullet that fills the muzzle more is indeed more worn the one that doesn't as much, but it's a really crude and kind of poor test, i have a mosin that isn't counterbored and it goes up to the case and still shoots fine.

I can tell you with a fair bit of confidence they do not just glide down the barrel.

Attached: AFD46F39-0B24-4B9E-A390-F1ABD812727E.jpg (2410x1808, 775K)

didnt use enough wd40

that happened to my uncle once. He almost pulled the trigger again, but decided not to. Saved his Dan Wesson revolver, his hand, maybe his life. I learned a valuable lesson that day.

That's a familiar sight.

Attached: DSC01657 - Kopie.jpg (1632x1224, 512K)

I am not sure, but I think that guy's point was that he used that "test" to fool the stupid and get a deal.

Should have bought a Smith instead of a knockoff, they can handle squibs all day long.

Projectiles are "swaged" down the barrel, as they are slightly larger in diameter than the groove to groove width of the bore. This is what causes the rifling grooves to appear on the projectile after it has traversed the barrel.

Happened to my Mak, it's pretty easy to tell something is off

>Another thing ive heard is that
Can you produce a witness to cross examine that statement?

Why is it always revolvers?
Genuine question

>dan wesson
>knockoff
Zoomer detected. Also
>Smith instead of a knockoff, they can handle squibs all day long
Yeah one of the selling points of any revolver is that it can handle squibs "all day long"
Shut the fuck up

>snug
when copper speed almond is activated, the rear end expands from the hot hot and many ramming power becoming tight fit in shooty tube swirls

>not so for flinty spark fun
shiny deathball is looser fitting in front loading fire pipe because meatshield needsmust reload quickfast to make more thunderings of metal death

Because revolvers are primarily appealing to handloaders.

Dan wessons are substantially stronger built than any S&W other than the X-frame.

This doesnt answer a glaring question. If the bullet is wider than to bore, then the bore must squeeze the bullet into shape. Otherwise the barrel bore would have to deform to let the bullet pass. But barrels are solid as fuck, so its likely the bullet that gets shaped into size so it can go through. It makes no sense for a
Square peg to fit into a round hole. Same with bullets bigger than barrel bores

>. If the bullet is wider than to bore, then the bore must squeeze the bullet into shape.
That's exactly what happens.
That's how the smooth bullet ends up with rifiling on it after it's been fired too.

Ok makes sense. Would a bullet made with too hard of a material get caught in the bore then?

Yes. That's why bullets are made from soft materials like lead. There are some bullets that have hard cores (for example, military armor piercing rounds), but even those have a softer jacket around the hard core.

Materials also have two different types of friction, one for a static object and one for the same object while moving. As long as the bullet keeps moving, it actually experiences less friction, thus requires less force to move

no dumbass a .308 is measured at the rifling

Ah, magnets.

Yeah i remember static vs moving coeficients of friction from physics.
But Thanks for the info user

>>friction
Yes, that's certainly true. However, you're talking about what happens after the bullet has already been swaged down to bore size and is moving through the barrel.

What user asked about was what happens at the very moment the cartridge goes off: the oversize bullet enters the throat of the chamber, is compressed slightly, and has the rifling engraved upon it. That's more than just friction taking place, that's deformation of the bullet.

>dirty dan
smith for me, thanks

Soi vey goy you convinced me I just bought a pointman.

>Look, I replied to everyone's post! What now?

30 caliber bullets range from .308 to .312.
Russian calibers are .312
American .308
.30 is the measurement from rifling to rifling
.308 is the barrel measurement.
Rifling cuts into the bullet 0.008 inches

Is it possible to get a squib when using buckshot?

maybe in revolvers it’s not that bad

Attached: 1E293B6F-4EE2-44A4-A4E1-1AA07DF5FEC8.jpg (800x269, 47K)

You can use blanks to pop squibs out of your barrel.

Poned

Is this true?

The bullet is the same diameter as the grooves in the barrel. The rifling lands are a little bit smaller than the diameter of the bullet and will engrave on the outside of the softer copper/lead/sabot material to impart spin. You want the bullet to be the same diameter as the grooves to attain a gas seal where the expanding gasses from the burning powder can drive the bullet down the barrel with enough pressure to accelerate as well as overcome the deformation stresses to engrave the bullet.

Attached: 7 62x39_bullets_-_unfired_and_fired.jpg (635x768, 59K)

That round is not seated all the way into the chamber

It might've worked for somebody one time, but I'd rather just get a dowel or brass rod and ram out my squibs. Or you could go all fuckin' new age science shit and push it our with grease.

youtu.be/6gecaRGGaYU?t=631

Attached: 1354510906644.png (800x529, 218K)

it rubs the shit out of the rifling when fired, that's why intact fired bullets have the grooves imprinted into them

If you load a shotshell light enough, the wadding won't make it out of the barrel, the pellets might just dribble out.

Are you aware of where the Wesson in Smith and Wesson comes from?

Attached: 1562455147153.jpg (645x484, 111K)

.312 bullets are usually for nominal calibers like .303 British. But yeah. Some calibers are named for the bore diameter, some are named for the groove diameter, and some are just marketing names that are kind of close to some actual dimension.

lmao

Did that guy reload 8 squibs?

it was a deliberate test

Explain how solid copper bullets expand

Interestingly, the converse is true with arty shells.
The shell is less than the diameter of the bore and uses a driving band of soft copper to engage with the rifling (if rifled) and provide a gas seal.

Attached: il_340x270.1076225934_pfh6.jpg (340x270, 7K)

Sabots are slightly different.
The actual sabot has 2 bore diameter surfaces.
The rear one provides the gas seal and the front one provides stability of the dart as it moves down the barrel.
To my knowledge, they can't be fired from rifled barrels as the dart doesn't need spin stability owing to it having guide vanes

Attached: Phase-3-free-flight-of-sabots.png (388x291, 179K)

>.001-.002 inches larger

More like .005-.012 inches.

SAAMI specs for .223 Remington are a .219 bore and .224 groove depth.

Do you always post like a complete fucking retard?

That’s how Brandon Lee died during filming of The Crow.

>To my knowledge, they can't be fired from rifled barrels as the dart doesn't need spin stability owing to it having guide vanes
so you're saying challenger 2 doesn't use apfsds?

>base of the projectile to expand
Do people actually still think it works like this?

fire your rifle while looking down the barrel and check it yourself.........or, learn to fucking google, dumbass

where the fuck you read stuff like this?

Heat?

Prairie doggin

I'm not saying I was the all knowing, merely highlighting a gap in my knowledge.
But yes C2 uses sabot so I rescind my precious statement

In a book on 19th century warfare maybe? The arse end of Minie balls did expand to engage the rifling.

Attached: 1552067102781.jpg (1080x1463, 874K)