Personal battlewagons

Finally got myself a vehicle with some potential use in SHTF; an ancient and slightly externally abused Honda HR-V but still functional . 4WD, some space below for tough roads and light offroad. Can tow a trailer as well. Now I'm wondering if I could fit a winch to the front. Show your battlewagons and what general SHTF adjustments you have done to them. Inspire me.

Attached: hondaen.jpg (999x492, 132K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/qKHFokpyoFY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

For me, it's the jeep cherokee

Attached: Screenshot_20190808-045327.jpg (2160x1080, 390K)

>Honda HR-V
>offroad
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Attached: kingofkek.jpg (949x523, 234K)

Based jeep
youtu.be/qKHFokpyoFY

An APC it isn't. Still have more traction and ground clearing than anything else I've ever owned. So what are you driving?

Attached: walking-dead-car.jpg (1540x800, 115K)

I guess I like the tower.

Attached: hyundai-the-walking-dead-chop-shopspeech-large-7[1].jpg (1000x562, 495K)

Attached: Jeep-with-Trailer[1].jpg (540x342, 94K)

Common sense & rally pedigree suggests I take my Subaru, but my Corolla is better on gas and is just as capable off road if you're brave enough desu

Attached: im that one white trash neighbor who owns too many shitty looking cars.jpg (2048x1536, 751K)

I guess the truest test that civilian cars risk doing these days is driving through an area on fire. As we've seen them the last year. What would you say is the better protected car in that situation?

Now I think of it, maybe I should start looking for a corner of the car to stash a small fire extinguisher in.

GC8's are actually known for leaking gas from their rubber filler necks that lead to the tank. My AW11 MR2 on the other hand has the gas tank mounted in a firewall tunnel in the middle of the car completely isolated & sealed off from the cabin (annoying as fuck to replace the fuel pump) since it's mid engine, so I feel like it would have the past chance of not going up in flames.
All my cars do have automotive fire extinguishers tho since I take them to the track and need to have one for safety inspection

Attached: it passes tech i swear.jpg (2048x1536, 372K)

V8 4Runner.

Attached: KIMG0907.jpg (3120x3120, 2.7M)

Bang bus possibly

Hondas aren't that reliable. They've used timing belts rather than chains since the 90's. It's planned obsolescence, the belts need regular changing or they'll break.

Even companies like Toyota are starting to do dumb shit like this. They put the transmission fluid fill hole in the bottom of the pan so it needs to be pumped in with a machine that only mechanic shops have. Not only can you not change your own transmission fluid, you can't even check your fluid level... Pretty soon they're going to do this with engine oil pans so you can't even change your own fucking oil.

They purposely put a bunch of important shit (the excessively thin aluminum oil pan, transmission fluid pan, etc) pretty much dragging on the bottom so if you actually take these "SUVs" offroad you'll scrape all that shit and it breaks. That's all stuff you have to order OEM parts to fix, so you're stuck buying it from the same people who designed it to break. Fuck (((car manufacturers))).

Those new jeep trucks are ugly as fuck but would unironically be a great vehicle for survival

Attached: 61546451641.jpg (1440x811, 148K)

All that shit is coming. It's already in the industrial/agricultural sector. You can't actually "buy" many new high-end tractors or construction machines. Instead, you can only lease them with a mandatory service agreement. Hope you like the taste of dealer dick.

I've got a 1996 F-350 w/ 7.3L diesel. That's about as simple and as bulletproof as it gets.

IMHO, 90's and early 2000's were the peak of practical vehicle engineering. They're late enough to have good mileage and solid practical features, but still early enough to avoid the planned obsolescence and the infiltration of useless electronics into everything.

>would unironically be a great vehicle for survival
I have my doubts about serviceability.

Reminds me of this one actually.

Back when I was a kid I used to dream about getting one of those 60s Land Rovers the electricity bureau standardized on once upon a time. I guess a modern vehicle is going to be more comfy though and easier to find parts for.

Attached: Tactical-Armored-Vehicle[1].jpg (540x341, 98K)

05 Nissan Xterra

Attached: 3588C835-4A6F-469E-BB97-CEAF9C30470D.jpg (1242x947, 573K)

Has anyone here fitted a winch to their vehicle? How did it work out?

Attached: SCA_380258-06_hi-res.jpg (558x558, 64K)

>Has anyone here fitted a winch to their vehicle? How did it work out?
What is literally anyone who does off roading or wants to make their mall crawler look like they do. They work out well what kind of fucking question is this.

Lexus GX

Attached: IMG_20181201_153343.jpg (1665x1249, 820K)

>AW11 MR2
BASED. I have a SW20, and I love it, but those MKI's have a ton of character

Attached: 20432423.gif (376x270, 1.26M)

That dude probably walks. Protip don't ad mods you can't take off and slam on a new ride.

Actually they're incredibly easy to service. They're hands down one of the simplest vehicles I've ever had to fuck with due to their height and focus on making almost anything and everything easily removable.

What you're questioning is Chrysler's quality which is very valid.

ive seen a few around town lately, look better in person.

I'm just glad they brought them back to life

Attached: 7214977-1969-jeep-gladiator-std.jpg (1280x960, 120K)

You got yourself an awesome vehicle, my man. That 4.7 V8 will go for a million miles. I've got a 2011 4runner myself.

>Fiat Chrysler
It's a piece of shit, son.

>It's a piece of shit, son
Who cares, it's a Jeep. They hold their value crazy well and they're a blast. JLs are significantly better than the JKs.

Moar like ur mums wagon.

The only choice XJs are fucking bullet proof owned and beaten on many

You'll care when the thing shuts off when driving at highway speed because the ecm decided to throw a fit. But the resale value is an absolute plus because once you get tired of it constantly being at the dealership you'll be happy to sell it and get some of your money back.

Land Cruiser squad

I like how you pretend that's a common issue with the JLs. They're definitely not without their problems but the people usually crying about "muh chysler borken all da time" don't own one and are pulling 2nd hand info and anecdotes out of their ass. There's a reason the year Wrangler sales are almost consistently double the 4Runner over the last 7 or so years. Stop being a fag and enjoy a body on frame 4x4 open top SUV.

2010 Toyota Tacoma

CBA to take a pic, but it's just a regular Tacoma

>had to sell my truck
Feels bad

Attached: F6FDBF2E-0E90-41F5-9020-25E1A235B359.jpg (640x480, 88K)

People buy Jeeps because they are an ICON built up over the last 80 fucking years. Jeep has very successful "lifestyle" marketing behind it. They are neither as well built nor practical as a 4runner. Suck all the cock you want in your minivan engined Jeep, you dudebro.

A Wrangler will out-trail a Toyota or FJ Cruiser with comparable outfitting any day of the week

That being said, they are the most uncomfortable fucking rides, ever

these are way too expensive for what they are. good cars but severely overpriced. who needs all that fucking bullshit like the lcd screens and cameras anyway wtf i just want a regular car without being forced to buy luxury upgrades they put all this bloatware in there stock now and charge 2x msrp for simple shitty electronic shit like lcd screens and satellite radio you dont give a shit about

belts are like a 8 dollar part you faggot, you can afford to replace them every 5 years its not a big deal

He said timing belt, not serpentine belt you mongoloid.

The belt itself might even be $8, plus all the auxiliaries and a shit-ton of labor hours

Leave it alone and sell it for a better car. These things are not very good off road, the real time awd system hates long term use, it was never designed for it. It will over heat and go into 2wd mode or overheat cook your duel pump fluid and then fuck your gears up.

>nu-jeep
Shitty re-skined Fiats

Probably been a lot of milfs behind the wheels of this type of car. Doesn't bother me. My concern is the steep overgrown gravel road leading up to my forest cabin. A road that is infrequently snowplowed during winter. The last two years I have not gotten up that road in snow at all with my little Corolla, and the last time I tried I ended up hanging with one tire hanging over a cliff and the entire car threatening to slide off the road. I mean not to have to rely on a neighbor's farming tractor to rescue me ever again. If I could afford a real offroader that's what I would buy. Now I have a cheap old 4WD and no car loan. If milfs like it, hey, that's a bonus.

for me Its my mustang gt
>inb4 it will wont be able to go innawoods

I literally do not care

Attached: 1464756735026.png (650x600, 538K)

year?

Attached: mustangfix.jpg (703x362, 95K)

Why is it parked on a dilapidated street instead of in a garage?

ehhh 7/10
nice
I like the blue

Attached: 1403968474160.jpg (1920x1200, 459K)

>chicago having good roads ever

Attached: 1536645160815.jpg (500x428, 146K)

meant to say thanks

never change

dont plan on it

Attached: 1545231388955.jpg (1024x671, 106K)

Other than living in shitcago youre doin it right my man.

Attached: baby-gender-circumcision-comic.png (1500x500, 72K)

its not too bad here honestly I'm up all night so its nice to have places open real late, I'm almost done with medschool so maybe I'll leave but I doubt it. Out of all the big cities its the least shit

Based Jow Forums cross poster

Attached: 9f51097ba72a589e738b6d6b1d4267d5--circumcision-facts-good-woman.jpg (236x236, 21K)

eh i cant handle cities and shitcago was a pretty awful time for me.
if it works for you tho...
nah fuck Jow Forums
...even if i do agree with a lot of their dumb shit

Attached: 1423007139094.jpg (900x897, 332K)

If shit hits the fan i got 10 buddies armoring up a few 100 ton haul trucks. 3 track hoes, and 5 dozers. Cluttered highways and most all munitions matter not if you cant follow because the road is simultaneously being plowed and the blocked off with immovable piles of intertwined cars.

Get out of the way, get on the train, or grt cucked

OHHHHH BADASS

YES! now in 15 years I'll have a battletruck jeep!

Not to mention the refinery is not far away and I've been in the oil field our entire lives. Probably just set up shop on the river and have a decent size town living the dream.

Pls elaborate on this shitpost

Unironically looking at picking up a GM H3. While the H1 and H2 were absolutely meme trash, the H3 has a lot going for it in terms of what it has and what can be done to it.

Also, and I know this won't go down well at all, but minivans have so much unrealized potential for SHTF situations.

I need things to do at night

Negro, that actually happened to me

Nice cuckmobile

T. Bullied by a middle aged man in a Rubicon

I'll never understand what it is about wranglers that brings hardcore autism out of people on the internet. It's always accompanied by weird projection and assumptions. They're just a vehicle m8.

where there is a tree theres a way

Attached: 20190809_073028.jpg (2311x1473, 2.11M)

I live in Straya, so of course the correct thing to do wasn't to buy a practical offroad vehicle, but instead to buy one of our most highly produced sedans that I can turn into my own personal Mad max vehicle in the event of SHTF.

Mine's the red one in front. VZ and VY commos are all about 15 years old or more now, and a lot of their more 'classy' owners already have them looking like unintentional Mad Max shitbarges due to maltreatment.

Attached: 40438316_540417106380940_8044775290766884864_n (1).jpg (1920x1080, 476K)

Do you by any chance know what the winch has been anchored to? Directly to main frame or has additional beams been installed?

It's real low. I had a Hyundai Couple once with somewhat similar lines and I drove over even the smallest of speed bumps like it was a mine field. Is this an issue or can the lowest bits be shaved off?

It's low as fuck, and to make things worse (or better, depending on the situation) the previous owner installed stiffened suspension. I feel every bump in the road, and speed bumps are a nightmare, particularly those stupid metal speed bumps in McDonald's parking lots.

There are certain locations that have a lot of speed bumps between there and my house, to the point that I'll leave my car at home and use my wife's 22 year old Camry instead. Driving that thing is like driving a big cloud, I can glide over the bumps at 40kmh and not feel a thing. Meanwhile in my car I creep over them at 15kmh and still worry about straining the suspension.

My friend who drives the blue Commo in the picture previously had a busted old VX that was lowered as much as is legally possible. That was horrifying, it scraped on about 50% of speedbumps. He came to hate it. Didn't help that he bought it for $2500 and ended up spending close to $5000 on it in repairs over the time he had it.

>waiting for SHTF to be irl Mad Max
Be the change you wish to see, straya bro.

Best battlewagon would be something that doesn't stand out but is armored (if you're a guerilla or something like that). What doesn't stand out of course varies by region, so if you live out in the sticks an off road type car with a winch, etc. would be fine but in the suburbs a Toyota camry with discreet armoring would be better.

Adventure bike with saddle bags.
gridlock traffic? No problem
Off road? No problem
Able to return fire quickly, and get off bike? No problem
Holds enough gear for you to survive for a while too.
Looks bad ass.

Attached: 2014-BMW-F800GS-Adventure.jpg (1024x768, 129K)

How much armor would that be, incidentally? Occasionally the customs guys here nab smugglers by watching how low the cars lie on the dampeners. Putting some plate in the car doors could be feasible though.

Good point actually. Perhaps a better winch option would be one that does not require permanent installation but can be stored in the back.

>>What you're questioning is Chrysler's quality which is very valid.
No, I just did a shitty job explaining myself. I have no idea what their quality is; I haven't done any appreciable amount of wrenching on a Jeep in nearly 15 years. My experience stopped with the old 4.0 liter straight-6.

I'm sure they newer are easy to work on, but my thinking is that they are so new that I can't imagine there being a large number of their parts in circulation. I'd be worried that parts would be relatively hard to get compared to those for common older vehicles which had decades of production and thus are easy to find--not just at retail, but from junkyards too.

Definitely a concern with the new model. JK should have have 13 years of parts sitting around but the TJ/YJ and old 4.0's would be a guaranteed abundance.

I'm not the guy who posted that, but it appears to be mounted to a "winch mount", which is just a fancy name for a metal plate behind the bumper which has been drilled for the winch to bolt to it. Any winch maker will offer dozens if not hundreds of these for different vehicles.

A lot of people mount a winch to a receiver hitch, then you can mount it on the front or the rear of the vehicle as needed. However, if you live in a semi-rural area then having a normal winch on your vehicle doesn't stand out at all. Contractors, farmers, cowboys (both real and goat ropers), rednecks, etc....all have 'em.

97 tj I'm unfucking in my garage

Attached: 20190805_221848.jpg (4032x2268, 3.18M)

>jeep lyfe

Attached: 20190805_222214.jpg (4032x2268, 2.95M)

>How much armor would that be, incidentally?
What sorts of threats are you worried about?

>Putting some plate in the car doors could be feasible though.
You can put a lot of armor in the vehicle if you want. Just don't forget to put stiffer springs in to offset the extra weight if the vehicle is not rated for it.

My custom lifted volvo 740 turbo.

Attached: 20190809_070406.jpg (1920x1080, 190K)

I gotta say, the ghetto wiring has me more worried than the rust does.

Guy I bought it from was a connoisseur of shit electronics. New radio as well as running new speaker wiring all over. Even put in a cb.

>connoisseur of shit electronics
Yeah, the T-taps and crimp connectors were a dead giveaway. Have these lazy fucks never heard of wire loom, soldering, and heat-shrink?

From what he told me, it was a combination of ignorance and laziness

I'm not thinking beyond a stray bullet from road rage style or gas station robbery. Armor windows are well beyond my options.

That's easy, and you have tons of options. AR500 steel panels, fiberglass panels, or perhaps the easiest: buy expired kevlar vests and stick them inside the sheet metal.

checki your fucking brekki

but in reality, this is a kind of shitty car. Yes, it can be repaired with fucking hammer and file by the drunken locksmith, yes it still will be working after it fell from the cliff but the point is it need that fucking repairs every 15 minutes and even directly after them it works like it just fell from the cliff. Not to mention non-existing fuel economy
On the other hand, I bought it (used) for approx 350 USD

Attached: 34deb24949a79d65704645dc08c9.jpg (512x384, 74K)

Based XJ poster

Attached: 20190606_095831.jpg (4656x3492, 3.14M)

jesus fuck Ive never seen that, thats really depressing

POR15 N CHILL

>something can't be uncommon because
>that actually happened to me
This is literally the definition of confirmation bias

No. That's not even close what confirmation bias is.

i put angle iron behinded it and welded the shock absorbing bumpers together

That would be anecdotal evidence, which is exactly what the post he responded to mentioned.

Absolute madlad. How did this affront to science and god come to be, and what do you want for it?