Why won't the russians build a T-34 drone army??

knowledgeglue.com/cost-ww2-vehicles/

It says the T-34 costed about $30,943

With current production optimizations and robots, the T-34 production cost could be further optimized.

Wouldn't be a great idea if they could build a swarm army of 10,000 T-34 drones??

I don't think the US army has 10,000 tomahawks to blow up all of them.

Attached: Char_T-34.jpg (2048x1536, 1.39M)

Other urls found in this thread:

westegg.com/inflation/infl.cgi
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

An M203 HEDP round could defeat that armor you dumb slavaboo

... No

I refuse to believe that this is a real post. I think you carefully chose all of your words to rustle my jimmies.

westegg.com/inflation/infl.cgi

$30,943 in ~1943 = $454,431 in 2018. Inflation is a bitch.

While I'm sure fire support UGVs will eventually be a thing, using a 1940's vintage shitbox isn't a good use of almost a half-million dollars. You could probably built a superior vehicle at a better price (adjusted for inflation) with modern methods.

Sorry Frenchie, your idea is shit.

t. Tank “expert” with a degree in warthunder with a minor in world of tanks.

he's actually right though, HEDP can penetrate 2" of steel and most of the T34's armor was either under 2" thickness or slightly over it.

meant to reply to OP

>OP filename

>t. Someone who's never touched or fired HEDP

Don't try to laugh like you know shit when you're neverserved

That 90 degree user,. Hedp will be hitting that at an angle and won't do shit

solution: shoot at the tank from a slightly higher or lower elevation, thus negating the angle

or just shoot it anywhere that isn't the front of the hull or the turret.

Guess again, warthunder faggot

Attached: 24E67EC6-2F2F-4FB7-8682-DD0AE3104FEA.jpg (1659x1990, 1.28M)

Lmao wow an airsoft m203. Get out of here boot fuck.

Regardless theres tons of shit that can defeat that tank now like a LAW or Carl G. OP’s statement on Tomahawks is retarded.

Not disputing op's retardation. Just the notion a 203 would be viable against a t34

>clearly legit PEQ-15
>training practice round clearly lodged in barrel
>KAC leaf sight

Keep burying yourself, videogamer.

Seeing how 40mm fires in an arc, that increases the chance of penetrating a T34. Or you could just hit it from the side or top. Not a first choice but a big enough hazard to make using WW2 surplus tanks a dumb idea.

You lost. Just stop replying and no one will know who you are to make fun of you being wrong.

>Inflation
>production costs during a planned economy with forced labor
>material costs dont scale
>tooling no longer existing
>parts made with tooling that is now obsolete and hard to replicate
>manufacturers of critical parts like engine and suspension that no longer exist
>production costs during a planned economy with forced labor
>the sensors to make it a drone would easily triple the cost of the tank
>communist planned economy with forced labor
>wartime production
Also 10,000 tanks won't give Russia an ounce of advantage because you can't zerg rush the Fulda Gap if it's been nuked into oblivion.

Attached: 1564567370608.png (455x817, 310K)

> Training

If that's even a real picture I can promise you that "training" is all you ever did you fucking boot bitch.

40mm hedp isn't doing shit to a t34. Cope with it how you must boot.

Samefag,
it's cute boot bitch. Keep trying admin clerk

That gear is way too unfucked to be a bootfag.
He's posted his gat, now post yours.

You’d need a crew of robots that can actually get out and refit thrown tracks and perform maintenance. Even if you did they are t stabilized gun platforms and would just be fodder for ATGM squads and air support.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if 40mm HEDP was fairly effective against a T34. They're rated for >300mm RHS penetration and the T34 had notorious problems with spalling due to the brittle steel.

Ummm.. it's a stock m4 with a 203. I'm already laying in bed and not getting up to upload my shit.

I will if this thread survives till tomorrow though

You're talking to a guy arguing that a 75 year old tank is going to be effective in 2019 while barking about their military service. 3:2 payout it's some perma E-3/E-4 that did four years and then failed at everything else in life, which is why they won't shut up about it.

>They're rated for >300mm RHS penetration

am I a brainlet or are you saying that a 40mm HEDP can penetrate almost a foot of steel?

A PEQ15 costs about as much as a upper tier commercial AR, noguns.
If you owned guns you'd realize M203s aren't crazy rare or hard to get a hold of, they're like 1500 bucks tops. You just need a tax stamp. The hard thing to get is ammo to feed it.

Interesting accusation from the warthunder expert. Let’s see user’s guns.

Attached: 53D3DED7-6683-4FB1-ABCD-E3537B0C5A45.png (1334x750, 2.32M)

He's high as shit, they penetrate like 5cm orthogonal.

My bad, new keyboard with a "00" on the number pad and I'm still getting used to it. It's 30mm.

>implying they put PEQ-15s on guns in basic training

Can you stop repeating jargon you clearly don’t know how to use?

I literally go far out of my way to not reveal my vet status when in public and only ever mention it here because it is anonymous. I fought in Helmand in 2010 when there was an actual war on. Keep telling those neat training stories to friends and family though lmao

>PEQ-15
Didn’t realize a 2000 USD part is stock.

>trust me bro I did this (in ArmA III, that’s why I have no photos)

Since you're clearly also a neverserved.. stock refers to as issued from the armory. Nothing is special about that rifle. We've been issuing peq15s for damn near 13 years now

> I fought in Helmand in 2010 when there was an actual war on.

You're adorable. Now get some help if you need it and get over it, no one fucking cares.

Attached: Wars over guy, we're all just folk now.jpg (1632x1224, 634K)

Wow bro. Ribbons. Never seen those in /milsurpnogunsgeneral/ before. Also thatgoy’s trip leaked 6 years ago. Nice try.

Oh my fuck kid, I have 30gb 10ft away from me but I'm laying in bed and don't feel like getting up to share with your boot ass. Even if I did I'm sure you'd say some shit like I pulled it off the internet so what's it matter

You missed the war, it's not your fault it's all timing and luck. But don't pretend like you know a fucking thing

Pog guns don’t get PEQs, M203s faggot.

Lmao wow so cute. The " I heard a mortar stack" boot fuck

Feel free to post using the secure trip then.

>I totally can proofs you! I just won’t kid.
And I’m the John that paid your mom 50 bucks to make you. The proof is in my living room so I won’t get it.

Omg fine you fuck I've gotta pee anyway so I'll rev the ole shitbox up to share what you missed

You two sound like schoolchildren fighting on the playground

Here your retarded boot fuck.

Attached: P7170749.jpg (3648x2736, 1.86M)

Attached: P9101056.jpg (3648x2736, 2.12M)

Happy boot?

Attached: 033 (2).jpg (3072x1728, 922K)

How are you a vet but don’t even know the effectiveness of an M203 HEDP round? You must have been a real underperformer during your 4 years in.

lmao that tone shift.

You have clearly never used an hedp on a fucking thing son. They are not what is advertised.

Are you the kind of ass wipe that always wondered why AT4s didn't do shit against buildings?

no fuck face.

I understand what a shaped charge is.

Although I will say hadji walls over there are shockingly effective. Had some 155's fire for us inbetween two buildings and did fuck all to either of them. buildings were prolly 10 feet apart and during the BDA one round landed on impact fuze between them and did fucking nothing to either wall

idk what you'll be called by the young'uns in the future. but you have the mindset of a boomer.

>cede proof, duur yu mad?
Also how are you a vet but think pog/boot guns get PEQs and M203s? No wonder you only did 4 years you must have been functionally retarded? Did you ever bother to pay attention to see what the M203 HEDP round is capable of? Or are you one of those dumb spic/nigger troops that can barely read?

I know, its a cancer. You have to put these zoomers in their place because they always think they something and have no clue.

Its because I bought a 1911 as my first handgun.

>troops
Confirmed for SPC Rodriguez Cruz-Freeman

I don't know what POG's get issued son. I was a rifleman. You'll have to be the one to tell me.

What are you issued?

>You have to put these zoomers in their place because they always think they something and have no clue.

People like you are why I keep my hair at hippie lengths, wear nothing even remotely military in style, and tell everyone that I just spent years beatnicking around before I started school.

Yeah I told you before I never tell a fucking soul I was in the military. I'm not some faggot walking around with 550 cord bracelets and an I served hat on.

>Yeah I told you before I never tell a fucking soul I was in the military.

Forgive my incredulity, but based on your conduct here I find that incredibly unlikely. Even money says you're walking around Community College campus in an Operator Cap and 5.11 pants.

Lmao well your very wrong. I'm back in bed now and I'm not getting up again to prove you wrong...again

Because they don't have any fucking money you retard.

Why the fuck do you think you're talking to the same person? This may come a shock to you, but more than one person here thinks you're a fucking tool bag.

Won't a .50 BMG bullet just pass through the T-34 armor like a butter knife?

>I don't know what POG's get issued son
If you were in the military and deployed you would have seen tons of fobbits/pogs. Are these really your photos? How can you be a rifleman and not know about HEDP? Why would a rifleman assume pogs get M203s? Why do you think a T-34 can survive a M203? Why are you so dumb?

Oh shocker, I didn't realize there was more than one of you with dicks for brains.

anyway sweetheart I'm about to go to bed you two boots keep talking to yourself

>I'm back in bed now and I'm not getting up again to prove you wrong

This is you.

Attached: brainlettttt.jpg (200x200, 13K)

T-34 is rated to resist 37mm and 50mm guns from the frontal arc, the former it could resist even at point blank

a .50cal could only penetrate its engine deck from a very steep dive

>HEDP
Isn't this just a shaped charge self propelled grenade?

What can it do against a drone T-34?? Nothing, it will just make a small hole on the armor, then there will be no crew to do any damage. T-34 drone just continues to battle.

I googled a bit and it seems that most sources say it's around double that

Which just adds to my point, from a numbers game perspective, a rinky little 40mm HEDP round is a fair threat to a 70 year old tank.

t. has no idea how much equipment it would take to make a T34 self driving, self loading, self firing

>T-34 drone just continues to battle.

Yes, because I'm sure a ton of spall will have zero negative effect on sensitive electronics. Fucking brainlet.

well, if you hit something important like the engine, gun, or ammo, the tank is still pretty fucked. you can't poke holes in those things and expect to have a good time afterwards

No. For one, they're junk and would be easily destroyed. Two, the US would just jam the Russian downlink signal and make them worthless

Why the fuck do you think the US' primary anti-tank weapon is the tomohawk. I am legitimately baffled

I agree, I'm just trying to get the right number into the thread

It's been a while since we had a good "OP thinks up something really fucking stupid" fag. Still not at the level of gliderfag though.

Just add sand bags inside.

shaped carges can't do shit against sand bags.

>not enough armor? just add more armor

genius

get this man to moscow immediately. putin will want to hear this

>Wouldn't be a great idea if they could build a swarm army of 10,000 T-34 drones??

Because they have more than enough T-72 and T-80 tanks in warehouses. Allegedly, they were working on adapting a couple for use as remote-controlled weapons, but defence budget cuts meant that it was more feasible to focus on building more T-90 tanks than trying to modernize their old ones.

If you think about it, a drone plane can zip in and out of hostile territory in minutes. A drone tank? Oh, no, the track's busted, have to send a commando repair squad in to fix it. Similarly, the operational range is cut down because you NEED to perform regular maintenance on modern tanks. You'd waste a lot of time running it back and forth to the forward base because it has no crew in it. Those three guys do a lot more than just make it shoot and fry eggs on the radiator.

Plus the T-14 was designed with the idea converting it to a UGV in mind.

a drone assault gun permanently tied to infantry companies for howitzer duty probably makes more sense than a total tank replacment

never too far from humans to repair it if things go wrong but still capable of throwing HE at enemy MG nests

>If you think about it, a drone plane can zip in and out of hostile territory in minutes. A drone tank? Oh, no, the track's busted

this and your other points are good ones, though I think in the future once we have UGV's rolling around, whoever is controlling it remotely is (along with a couple other guys) going to be the maintenance crew.

why make it a drone if it's just going to act as an assault gun or arty? serious question. it seems to me that the main reason you'd want a UGV to begin with is for cutting out casualties in high-risk assaults, but if you're just using it as something that won't be conducting those assaults it's just simpler to put a human crew in it.

Just want to point out that they did automate T-72's using both wireless and wired method via teletank. If I recall, they are updating T-62's for the same purpose.

Fly one EF-18 over the T-34 drone army and they all crash against one another since the airwaves are jammed and the controllers can't pilot the drones.

*EA-18

>not just using an extremely long cat5 cable

c'mon dude, use your noodle

Protip: it's actually got armor as thick as an Abrams. The quoted thicknesses for armor on modern tanks is from level with the hull, not perpendicular to the plate.

if your assault gun is a UGV, then having it lead assaults without worrying if it gets IEDed or RPGed sounds pretty useful
it could also be made much smaller than a tank, having no crew, and could follow infantry into side streets

>it's actually got armor as thick as an Abrams

slightly thinner, I believe. an M1's armor is, what, 3"? of course it's not made of the same stuff and it has all of those weird composite bits that make it a lot stronger.

however I'm not really sure why you brought up the Abrams. I wasn't thinking of the armor thickness of the T34 in relation to modern tanks, I just looked up the armor thickness for the T34 on wikipedia and then googled the penetration value of an HEDP.

you don't lead assaults with an assault gun, that's not what they're for. assault guns are for sniping at enemy positions with HE. in other words they're a way of giving the infantry a way to blow shit up two miles away without bringing along an actual tank.

>M1A1 Abrams
>effectively 600mm against due to composite ceramic construction
>T-34
>not even 50mm of just steel

Sure thing, bub.

not that guy but the key word here is "effectively". the actual dimensional thickness of the M1's steel armor is around 3 inches. the reason it's "effectively 24 inches" is because it has composite bits that break up and/or deflect incoming projectiles.

pic related, the stuff on the left is the inside of the composite blocks. if you google "m1 armor diagram" you can find some stuff that shows you how it's arranged inside. the actual metal that you see on the outside of the tank is just thin sheet metal, with the composite stuff underneath it, backed by a couple inches of steel. it's not actually a solid 24 inches of metal, they say it's "effectively 24 inches" because it's as good at stopping things as 24 inches of solid steel would be, without actually having that much steel in it (which saves you a lot of weight)

Attached: 1850044hgvt654.jpg (900x536, 97K)

Yeah you’re kind of a fucking retard

>acknowledges poor timing means he missed the war
>Doesn't acknowledge that you don’t have to shoot Iraqi kids in the face with a 40mm to understand how it works

>you can't poke holes in those things and expect to have a good time afterwards

remember, this is Jow Forums we're talking in

>you don’t have to shoot Iraqi kids in the face with a 40mm to understand how it works

...is that not how marines learn to use an M203?

>2" at 45° angle
>√(22+22)=2.83
I realize that much of the Abrams' protection rating comes from the materials, but it's multiplied by the fact that the effective thickness of the armor is greater than it's actual thickness due to the way it's angled. In the case of the T-34, even if most of its armor is only 2" thick measured perpendicularly to the plate, it's nearly 3" thick measured parallel to the ground. Thus, you'd need significantly more than 2" of penetration to defeat its main armor.

How the fuck is a 40mm grenade going to pen a t-34? It's like 80mm to 100mm steel on the front and sloped. You might be able to get through the turret hatches or roof from above but that applies to almost any tank.

I think we've gone off-track here. I don't think anyone was seriously arguing that you can penetrate an M1 with an HEDP

also, the T34's armor is sloped at a 60 degree angle at the front. the top of the hull is 41 degrees. just sayin.

>It's like 80mm to 100mm steel on the front

the thickest part of a T34's armor, the turret front, is 60mm. the hull is 47mm.