So I just found out about Amiot

So I just found out about Amiot

France... Just... what? I'm so confused. What is this design?

Attached: mk1j8rs1xug01.png (2593x2558, 3.67M)

post weird fucking planes I guess

Attached: amiot140-5.jpg (1050x370, 54K)

I can't speak for the design or the Luftwaffe guys, but that image has been mirrored.

I wish this bad boy had flown well enough to survive the prototype stage. Those russians were pretty crazy back in the day.

Attached: Kalinin_K-7_.jpg (2048x1536, 787K)

1930s aircraft designs are a helluva drug. That's all you need to know.

Attached: martin-baker-mb2-pylon.jpg (1008x654, 129K)

Now there are some weird planes out there, but then you have Blohm & Voss. These guys should've stuck with ships.

Attached: blohm_bv-155.gif (1653x1100, 24K)

Stalin had some novel idea on plane development. He basically rounded up all the engineers with plane experience, took them to a secluded camp and locked the door. They were told they were allowed to leave only if they succeeded in beating Luftwaffe, and anyone slacking or failing would be shot, but their families would be shot as a first warning. This was followed up. I think the general work atmosphere in that camp could indeed have driven a few guys crazy.

Breguet, with 2 bridges, 1952.

Attached: 15.png (800x533, 94K)

Such a fat little whale of a plane

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1600x1200, 500K)

What are you talking about?

Attached: ant-6 (2).jpg (1047x670, 124K)

The Ilya Muromets aircraft as it appeared in 1913 was a revolutionary design, intended for commercial service with its spacious fuselage incorporating a passenger saloon and washroom on board.[4] During World War I, it became the first four-engine bomber to equip a dedicated strategic bombing unit.[5] This heavy bomber was unrivaled in the early stages of the war, as the Central Powers had no aircraft capable enough to rival it until much later.[6]

Attached: ilya muromets.jpg (1171x900, 214K)

He ran the soviet nuclear and rocket programs the same way

EXTRA THICC

me on the right

Almost. Unlike the air program, the nuclear and rocket Soviet development included a heap of German scientists. Who certainly didn't get any better work conditions, of course.

this is untrue.

Cope.

The French always make weird shit

The fuck are you talking about, it's an ordinary design of that time.

Attached: ant-20 (1).jpg (2153x1168, 892K)

Same reason tanks looked like they did pre WW2. Effective design comes from failure, not success. If you build a plane and it fulfills the criteria, it will be a "success" until it faces the pressures of war and then it'll fail, forcing a redesign of the platform or a completely new one.
Look at tanks, planes and so on. They were constantly being stressed, fucked and remade throughout WW2 and the pre WW2 designs were laughable compared to even early war designs.

>Effective design comes from failure, not success. If you build a plane and it fulfills the criteria, it will be a "success" until it faces the pressures of war and then it'll fail, forcing a redesign of the platform or a completely new one.
To be honest I still fail to understand what was wrong with this nose type and how is it any less effective than the modern "cone" nose design.

Attached: ant-20bis.jpg (717x412, 108K)

>pre WW2 designs were laughable compared to even early war designs.
I would also like to add that the 30s was a wild, wild time for aviation with lots of advancements being made in a very short timespan. The outbreak of WWII in 1940 only made things more extreme. Hell, in the 30s having an aero engine pushing out 1000hp was a big deal, but by the end of WWII 2000hp was the real benchmark for big bepis engine manufacturers.

All-metal aircraft construction was a new thing in the 30s, so people were experimenting a lot. A giant fridge for a nose was probably easier to make at first than a round nose with the then-limited construction methods. My understanding is mostly cursory though, so take that as you will.

Attached: 1483531405643.jpg (1224x1598, 635K)

Limited vision if we're comparing with American bombers.

It has the aerodynamics of a fucking brick. Bad aero makes bad performance. Bad performance means bad range and bad bomb load. Bad range and bad bomb load means ineffective operations. Ineffective operations means objectives are incomplete. Incomplete objectives means you cannot defeat the enemy. And if you cannot defeat the enemy, YOU LOSE THE FUCKING WAR.

You could have just said bad aero.

you get edge drag from turbulence with hard edges like that, though if they'd just curved the top they'd have accidentally made a lifting body design.

>A giant fridge for a nose was probably easier to make at first than a round nose with the then-limited construction methods.
I thought that too, because it's really as easy as "lol just fold a metal sheet", but I think what really killed this type of noses is radomes.

Attached: multiphysics_radome_all_results.png (1190x661, 350K)

>It has the aerodynamics of a fucking brick
On the contrary, it's folded and fairly streamlined. Kinda similar to hypersonic designs, desu.

Attached: gll-ap-02.jpg (700x250, 60K)

>you get edge drag from turbulence with hard edges like that
Could it be that this effect increased with inevitable rise of average aircraft speed?
>though if they'd just curved the top they'd have accidentally made a lifting body design.
It's kinda curved tho.

Attached: ant-6 (4).jpg (1890x919, 129K)

>similar to this shape which is completely different
what did user mean by this

Similar in the sense that it's flat and not round with a cone in the front.

Attached: HEXAFLY-INT.png (850x500, 710K)

Attached: IMG_6477.jpg (4000x2456, 1.21M)

Attached: IMG_6478.jpg (1372x1029, 238K)

I like this pre-WWII style of fuselage design, it looks like they took the hull of a ship and slapped wings on it. Might even have been deliberate, as the hydrodynamics of hull design was the closest thing they had to knowledge on how to design an aerodynamic plane, and traditions carried over enough that they call it "aeronautics" for a reason.

Did somebody say French designs?!

Attached: B0A72A9D-C345-43AA-9910-52E94B40FF60.jpg (1024x670, 196K)

I dig this, this is extra cute

Why is it upside down?

Blunt and or spatular nose design is a specifically advantageous for increasing L/D ratio in the hypersonic regime.

The old krautwizard Dietrich Kuchemann did most of the research on this stuff back in the '50s and '60s

Attached: 3E45A4FC-0F08-40DA-B60E-292B0A5A9398.jpg (452x184, 27K)

Attached: justbecauseyoucandoesn'tmeanyoushould.jpg (1200x820, 177K)

Attached: lippisch.jpg (800x556, 207K)

>lippisch
Speaking of krautwizards

Attached: sackas6.jpg (508x280, 21K)

Attached: Ia_37_I argentinian pointy boi.jpg (640x451, 50K)

don't believe everything you read

The ancestor of the A-380

Incredible story brought to you by the discovery Channel. Watch next: the scull of Jesus found in Texas.

Attached: 1371372480002.jpg (528x751, 90K)

Don't forget the stalinocaust. He had tens of millions of ethnic ukrainians killed so he could replace them with ethnic russians to russify ukrainia to keep it from leaving the union.