Modifying old surplus rifles

How do you guys feel about modifying/renewing old surplus rifles?

I'd personally never do this to other eventually more rare weapons but since my stock broke at one point i fixed it and coloured it new.

I dig the look but i got a lot of shit for it.

Attached: 20190809_161001.jpg (4032x3024, 3.71M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=z5ODW3poCdk
kalinkaoptics.com/rifle-type/mosin-mauser-other/side-rails.html
brassstacker.com/mosin-nagant/M39-See-Thru-Scout-Scope-Mount.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You're a faggot

Attached: 1469003854718.jpg (460x276, 25K)

Its a nugget, it does not matter.

now if you took a rare nugget or just about any other surp rifle, see

I'm in the minority but I prefer guns restored to original over a rusty pitted mess
Sporterizing is turbofaggottry

kys bubba

user please take a pic of the receiver so we can see the factory and year of this gun. This is a hex receiver so you already made a huge mistake and know it (that's why you're seeking validation from strangers), but I need to know the extent of your fuckup so you can be properly shamed.

Well for what it's worth it's a hex receiver but it cost me 200€ and it didn't match any numbers so the damage it took by the wood breakig wasn't really that bad so i just tried to make it look different.

Other than that i agree.

You do realize that I've only did modify the buttstock that broke. I can buy other original ones in a heartbeart if i wanted so that was no eternal fuckup.

Attached: 15653607961142051537595282189804.jpg (4032x3024, 3.12M)

that looks awful

If you have something thats actually rare or special, or something with actually documented history, or family heirloom, you should not mess with it.
If you have random refurb milsurp junk, and want to fuck it up, go for it. It will lose some of its already low value, but other than that there's nothing wrong with doing what you want with your own gun.
Ignore retards wanking over some rifle that most likely spent war in hands of some randomass remf private guarding dirty laundry warehouse (most of milsurp never seen any combat, people wanking over "muh histurry" are delusional. After war, militaries tend to keep the guns that are in best shape, and that means ones that served on frontlines are rarer than honest liberals.

Oh my God, it's a Fin. Good luck finding a replacement stock you fucking Mook!

I will never mess with a rare or special milsurp or antique, but if the gun is in shitty condition, a dirt-common example like the average Mosin/SKS, or it's something which Bubba already fucked with decades ago....that's fair game.

What the fuck are you even talking about. Stocks are super easy to come by

All fucking bubbas must fucking hang.

>Its a nugget, it does not matter.
That's what bubba said when Mosins were $70, then $100, then $150, then $250...

Attached: dyatlov posting.png (900x676, 410K)

TERRIBLE

What's your point? $250 is pocket change. Even if it doubles...twice....that's still cheap in the gun world.

Why didn't you attempt to fix the stock?
It looks like shit now.
You are a dumb nigger. You are the blackest retard gorilla nigger I have ever seen.

dude that looks like shit

They cost like 50€ you moron

I did but why not tryig to experiment on it?
I'm not someone who jerks over a piece of wood and I'm trying new stuff. And if that doesn't work out I'll buy another stock.

To make a thing useful is not "turbofaggottry" in fact that would be restoration. To take what could be made useful and create the useless.

>>A random $50 mosin stock will be the correct one for that rifle

I doubt it.

>$500 for a 4 MOA rifle

Why?

Don't listen to 4 chan ever. Never take the advice of Jow Forums or allow it to be more then the seething toxic pit of containment that it is.
Its your rifle make good use of if, place your mark on it as it has placed its mark on you.
Its yours, you have every right to do you will upon it. Do the job will and it will be the job that speaks louder then all of the original mass produced trash ever could.

I’m refinishing a nugget that someone painted. I’ve sanded down the stock to raw wood but now I need to finish it. What product could I use to get this look? Dark and shiny

Attached: C2785760-1EF8-4BF1-B99C-2ADF77B1F8D9.jpg (660x259, 37K)

evedn if mosins are $1000, they are still more plentiful and way less unique than chepaest, most mass produced modern durr rifle.

Face it. few hundred years from now, fucking savage axis or ruger american will be rarer and less avaiable than garbage rods.

Plenty of people buy guns for collector's purposes, because they like the way they look, or some other reason. Accuracy is not always a concern.

I have a bunch of guns. Some of them I bought for practical reasons--things like price, durability, corrosion resistance: they are tools for a specific job. Others I bought because of their historical interest, or for investment purposes. I don't care how accurate those guns are because their accuracy is irrelevant to why I bought them.

I personally have no interest in Mosins, I just think it's funny how people talk about their price as thought it's meant to be something impressive or significant. It's not. They might not be as cheap as they were a decade ago, but they're still fucking cheap.

youtube.com/watch?v=z5ODW3poCdk

Thank god Jow Forumsommando, you're finally here. We have a hostage situation, some faggot is about to destroy a nugget. Proceed with caution, he's a real faggot

What’s the least fudd and frugal way to put a scope on your nugget?

kalinkaoptics.com/rifle-type/mosin-mauser-other/side-rails.html

Pick your poison. I'd probably skip on the PU and go for the more modern Side Rail. PU scope and mount have to be mated as the tolerances aren't super tight and you may end up being wildly off without either filing or shimming the mounts. At least with the Side Rail mount you can play around with different optic configs and find which optic will mate up nicely and still have adjustment range.

You could also go with one of those Brass Stacker scout style mounts. Those don't require any modification to the rifles.
brassstacker.com/mosin-nagant/M39-See-Thru-Scout-Scope-Mount.html

based

bro that looks terrible

>How do you guys feel about modifying/renewing old surplus rifles?

I do repairs with original parts or contemporary parts.on mass produced guns Some examples, firing pins, firing pin springs, lifter springs, mag springs dust covers, bayonets and remote dirt from metal and barrels
I do use good reproduction slings on old guns as 100 year old leather has generally had it.

Older guns like flintlocks, well its more an art. Trade pocket guns used e.g. hammers made in Birmingham to 20 or so patterns, and I have no problem repairing a 19th century piece with a broken hammer that has Birmingham proofs with a 19th century Birmingham trade made hammer. Timber repairs using hoof clue and antique timber from the same species and grain as the original etc. Antique guns are an art and generally should be left alone by the vast majority. So what's an antique? Well anything that is not mass produced and hand made for a start generally speaking anything made before 1850. I've been working with antique guns for 25 years and if it doubt leave it alone.

Do you suffer from damage to the brain? Every entry level hunting rifle in the US costs $2-300. They are more accurate, come in more plentiful cartridges, mount optics better, have a warranty and threaded barrel. If a Mosin was $500 no one would buy one.

Finn Mosins don't use 91/30 stocks.

>renewing
That's an interesting way to put it, Bubba.

Looks like shit.

And that is what every retard cutting up K98s, 1903s, Krags, M1917s, Enfields, etc said when they did it too.

>Do you suffer from damage to the brain?
No, why do you think that?

>Every entry level hunting rifle in the US costs $2-300
Some people buy mosins for other reasons than practical use.

>If a Mosin was $500 no one would buy one.
Collectors will...and already do. Rare variants of Mosins have sold for thousands at auction. So will people who do the appropriate historical reenactments. Fans of certain YT channels will buy them because of their prominent feature there. People who want to larp as Simo Hayha....etc.

I totally agree that if someone wants a practical hunting (or similar) rifle then it would be dumb to buy a mosin over a modern one. However, it's equally dumb to think that's the only reason why people will buy rifles. Plenty of people can and do buy expensive mosins because they think they're cool.

Anyway, I'm not trying to argue that mosins will appreciate heavily, my point is only that $250 is peanuts in the gun world. Hell, even if we were to take the absurd stance that mosins will quadruple in value next month and suddenly hit $1k...that is still low end as far as gun prices go. If someone is trying to argue that mosins are too valuable to mod I think that's nuts--people customize guns costing far more on a regular basis.

Mosins have already hit $300 regularly on the internet, and the price for an inferior rifle will only continue to rise.
I own one. It's a shit rifle. Works fine as a blaster or hunting rifle, not much else.

>It's perfectly fine
If your name is Bubba

What's retarded about it, exactly? Yes, stacks of those got hacked up by Bubba. But most of the time, who gives a shit? Those guns are still not hard to get. Yes they cost more than they once did, but that's not surprising--look what fucking gum costs from the same time as those 1960's milsurp heyday catalogs.

Now then I do see it as a fucking tragedy when someone bubbas a gun that is honestly special in some way--a truly rare piece. But general sporterizations? Eh, I don't see that as a problem. The only way I can find fault with that is by taking on some kind of absurd nearly religious sort of view of the situation and that's never a good idea.

Slav shit was shit to begin with. Do what ever you want with garbage rods.

99% of "Sporterizations" look like ugly ass. OP's is a great example. That's the problem.

>99% of "Sporterizations" look like ugly ass.
Yes.

So what tho? "Stop liking what I don't like" is fucking retarded.

If you post your ugly ass bubba'd mosin on Jow Forums, prepare to be mocked for being an inbred sheepfucker. You're retarded for thinking anything else would happen.

Wow, constructive commentary on Jow Forums?
This happens once every 5 years. Thanks for that

I don't own any mosins, let alone a bubba'd one.
I agree with your post 100%.
I'm not sure why you are replying to me.

So you just drill some holes in the side of the receiver and mount the rail that way?

To be honest, i just wanted to see the reactions for the fun of it.
After all, it's my rifle and if i wanted i could paint it pink for all i care.

I won't feel bad because basement dwellers get a nut by critizising everything that isn't 100,00% original, i wouldn't have done it otherwise.
It was a fun project and i still enjoy shooting her once in a while, althought the rod is a shit rifle.

Kys OP, you faggot

I still get mosins for about 200$
They're pretty torn up but mosins nontheless.
They're not quality rifles so why not pay a cheap price for cheap fun

Basically. Make sure you're doing everything correctly, preferably not with your cordless drill.

Brass Stacker has the advantage that all you have to do is mount it onto existing points.

We're not criticizing you because you fucked a nugget, we're criticizing you because it looks like shit.

>$250
>pocket change
how long does it take some of the other anons to take home $250?