Bad gunsmithing thread

i picked up my freshly chopped and threaded ruger mark iv today from the expert machinist at the gun shop.

:(

Attached: ZkdVmL3.jpg (877x586, 131K)

Other urls found in this thread:

inter-sieg.com/index.php/metalworking-machine/multi-purpose-machine/item/106-m1-micro-multi-purpose.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>trusting drunk Mexicans

he was the retired head machinist for a japanese industrial company

i think now he must drink for a living or something and just fucks up guns on the side

Attached: V4Nk2S1.jpg (1159x541, 121K)

>winces in pain

You had the same idea as me? Reduce barrel length so all rounds are sub sonic?
Yours is too long anyway.
Mine is going to be 2.4 inches total low gth

4.5 is fine, what do you mean

Did he use a fucking pipe threader?

Mine is not too long. 4" is the general minimum on a Mark IV to reliably cycle all ammunition, and that's what I requested. As is, I'll be very lucky indeed to get 3.8" out of it, which is absolutely pushing it to the limit of reliability. If it's less than 3.8", they're going to have to buy me a new barrel and we've already got that worked out, but now I've got an unmatched serial pair. What a shitshow, that's what I get for trying to throw around some work to local businesses I guess.

>unmatched serial pair

Unless its a hand fitted gun, matching serial numbers don't mean shit and crying about it makes you look like a bitch.

F

Also yeah, more or less the same idea. Keep as many rounds subsonic as possible while still maintaining accuracy and reliable functioning. This barrel was so fucking accurate, I was cloverleafing at 25y with it. I'm salty af.

>i think now he must drink for a living or something and just fucks up guns on the side

Not even that. No matter how great a machinist is, there is always the possibility of scraping a part, especially if youre paying for your own tooling.

Difference is, grabbing somenew round stock too thread is no big deal when someone else is paying for the steel. When its a customers gun, youre pretty fucked.

go out or something

Attached: 002345186423603.jpg (640x636, 30K)

What are you talking about? Barrel length has nothing to do with reliability. If anything a shorter barrel with a suppressor means greater reliability with sub sonic(dedicated) ammo since you’ll have more blowback.

>Unless its a hand fitted gun, matching serial numbers don't mean shit and crying about it makes you look like a bitch.
I'm more worried about whether the barrel is going to still be worth a shit or not when this doofus gets done with it, so fair point there, but in any case, it underscores that I'm not going to be financially whole from this experience. I should have paid the FFL and sent it off to an expert, bottom line.

Yeah but that's not what happened here at all. This monkey-ass added threads that were like three times as long as any 1/2x28 barrel threads ever need to be, then completely fucking mashed his own threads all to hell, then fucking didn't even bother to recrown the barrel and get rid of the awful gouges and tool marks he left all the fuck over the muzzle face, because he obviously just doesn't give a single solitary fuck about the quality of his work

>If anything a shorter barrel with a suppressor means greater reliability with sub sonic(dedicated) ammo since you’ll have more blowback.
You might think this is how this works, but this is really not how this works. Dwell time is a thing that exists, and shorter than 4 inches, you stop having enough of it to reliably cycle lighter loads in a Mark IV. Try it yourself or do the research and/or math if you don't believe me.

What does dwel time have to do with? How do you think blowback guns work? It’s the gasses pushing back on the case. This all happens very quickly and dwell time is absolutely not a factor.

Thank you for making me feel better about deciding to just buy the tools to cut crown and thread my barrel myself

how would he even let it out of the shop looking like that? Did he admit he fucked up?

The fucked part is that you probably would have been cool about if they were honest and tried to reconcile right off the bat. Instead, the little shit head mangled your barrel and sent it back to you like you wouldn't fucking notice.

>It’s the gasses pushing back on the case.
which they only have ability to do when the path of least resistance, out of the barrel, is obstructed by the bullet. no, the bolt does not derive all its energy until that happens. again, i'm not the first to think of going short, the movie Assassins showcased them in the 1990s. everything i've seen says you're looking for reliability problems on a mark iv under 4 inches.

i kind of feel bad. the shop operator is a decent dude, and clearly stuck between a rock and a hard place. he openly put on the invoice that they'd replace it if it wasn't up to snuff, and took it back in for repair or replacement same day.

we'll see how it goes. i'm just pissed, i was itching to try it out and now i get to spend a week or more wondering whether he's done permanent damage to muh tack driver

I think he means that shooting with a short barrel and suppressed would raise the pressure enough to waste energy on extracting early, when the case is still expanded to that walls of the chamber. That would cause a lot of failures to extract, and might even cause case failures if it extracts way too early.

I could be wrong though.

>
Sucks that he made your dumbass racism obvious huh?

In his defense stainless steels are notoriously difficult to machine. But any machinist ever would know that and plan/charge accordingly.
Also you're a dumbass for giving it back to them after they already fucked it once.

No it isn’t and 416 definitely isnt.

So... any reason you didn't just buy a Mk. IV Lite that comes threaded from the factory?

lol fag

Attached: 1565379942591.jpg (600x600, 94K)

Are you saying you SHOULD trust drunk Mexicans, you absolute supreme faggot?

there is literally nothing wrong with being racist as long as you're not an asshole about it.

I was looking for "Machinist general" but this was the closest thread.
Is this machine inter-sieg.com/index.php/metalworking-machine/multi-purpose-machine/item/106-m1-micro-multi-purpose.html
A good buy for an absolute novice who wants to make some spare parts and maybe some diy gunsmithing?
I got an offer to buy a used one, but I want to know if it is what I'm looking for.

>wants to make some spare parts and maybe some diy gunsmithing?
>micro
no unless everything you intend to make will be tiny

Do you have any legal options if a gunsmith fucks your shit up? I've got an upper out to the smith right now for a pin and weld and I'm suddenly very nervous.

depends on plenty of things but usually the hourly rate of your lawyer is more than the part hell the whole gun is worth.

Could probably try small claims court. No lawyers, judge decides everything, probably in a single session.

Mexican is not a race my double digit I.Q. taco friend.

I see. Do you know what could be a good option in the 1-1.5k price range?

> just fucks up guns on the side

you get that kind of damage by cross threading or trying to thread something on that is damaged or the wrong pitch. That isn't the kind of damage you would do on a lathe.

Jow Forums is a progressive board

Christ, it's like that nigger on dayshift that only takes a single pass when threading and finishes with a die

the thread undercut is fucking atrocious as well, it looks like he used a worn parting tool to do it

didn't even bother to clean it up with a scotchbrite pad and buffing wheel

seems to me more like the operator tried to take a finish pass at low rpms and or with a galled up threading tool (not sure how gummy the particular flavor of stainless that barrel is made from is)

There is literally nothing wrong with racism, nigger.