This is the theoretical plateau for small arms design

This is the theoretical plateau for small arms design.
You might not like it but this is what peak performance looks like

Attached: phasers2.jpg (1030x766, 194K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fbHdMTqE0C0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rascals_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'll kill myself before I shoot a god damn tv remote!

Honestly they're not that stupid in design. Pocket Phasers were made for non-combatant officers to just carry around in their pockets while they do other stuff. It auto-aims as well so you don't need any real sight or anything.

I told you you wouldnt like it

the only setting you need is stun.

Old school electric shavers?

peak small arms will be when you can have your limbs replaced with weapons or have blades inside of your arms

maybe a gun that goes into the skull that can be fired on a whim. laser eyes that can melt steel beams

>no trigger guard
>trigger is right next to other buttons with similar size and texture
Sorry tv remote faggots, it's not happening

you've exited "small arms" turf, bub

>not always on disintegration
never gonna make it

>It auto-aims as well so you don't need any real sight or anything.

What?

>a gun that goes into the skull
Laputan Machine

Looking at Starfleet bridge designs, no wonder they can't into gun ergonomics either.

He's probably extrapolating from the VFX being wonky every now and then.

>Auto aims
>essentially limitless capacity
>can be adjusted to be weak enough to tickle or powerful enough to destroy armored vehicles
>Can be used as a tool for cutting, welding or probing
>can be rigged to explode or modified to supplement other gear

source material of a Starfleet officer using a phaser to tickle themselves.

Shut the fuck up boomer

what bout the laser rifles they have on ds9 and voyger

also kind of dumb they don't have an aiming system.

heh nothing personnel kid

Attached: mountain_melting_rifles.jpg (998x795, 184K)

in TNG they regularly use of different settings both for combat (after lower settings fail to have effect) and various utility tasks (welding/cutting, charging power cells/circuits, getting rocks red-hot in lieu of starting camp-fires). pretty sure it was probably part of the 'writers bible' that every time a starfleet officer kills with a phaser they make a point of showing them progress through several ineffective stun settings.

The auto-aim claim isn't represented on the tv show, but I do think they had some fingerprint lockout in TNG or VOY. The TOS weapons had no access control features. Overall it is a purely close-quarters and defensive weapon. Every once in a while you see a "rifle" on the show and those sometimes have some semblance of an aiming sight.

You almost never see personal forcefields, environmental suits or assistive powersuits. You don't really see tractor beams on a wheelbarrow, though wheel-less hovercarts seem to be a thing.

SHALL

>have ability to evaporate the cover of enemies (rock or interior walls)
>never do it

As a whole, star trek takes a very different perspective on humanity. They essentially live in a post-scarcity society because of replicators and fusion reactors. Humanity gets along because they have nothing better to do, and the goal in everyones mind is to advance humanity and find absolute morality.
And this is the way it has to be. If anyone is capable of replicating a nuke for a terror event. Then the only way for society to evolve is to be that moral.

Attached: 3d0b7cda1cda2be23488df18cebc6d6b5731fd8c651466141f57b6ed36743d62_1-1.jpg (1080x692, 316K)

yeah, even the hand phasers are used to bore significant distances through solid rock, in the show.

The united states and therefore the US constitution no longer exists in the Star Trek universe.

replicators are limited in what they can make and the Federation has lots of laws. Sure you can live on UBI on Earth in some government provided apartment, but if you want to do something other than wander the local parks or reserve time in a public holodeck several weeks in advance, and eat replicator food you need money or a job.

NOT

>TOS mobster planet: The ship stuns an entire street from orbit
>DS9 v Dominion: No orbital support ever, rarely close air support

There is no federation money in star trek, even as far back as the original series. One of the reoccuring themes throughout the series' is otherwise brilliant starfleet officers who are bewildered about the concept of money, like in the fourth movie

Fuck you zoomer fuckers with your plastic guns and your god damn tv remotes.

If i'm gonna carry in space i'm gonna use a real gun, and if someone at starfleet doesn't like it i'll show em what a .45 can do

Attached: 8598152105446.jpg (1280x835, 415K)

Attached: parasite queen.webm (800x600, 2.69M)

>Settings from non lethal to blowup half a city block
Yeah, no one would ever fuck up with that by accidentally putting it on the wrong setting

>blows hole through wall
>decompressurizes compartment
>gets sucked asshole first through a bullet shape hole into space

the more I see of them the more star trek seem like the Jovians from Eclipse Phase.

The guys are fucking nazi's.

>replicators are limited in what they can make
The only thing they can't make is gold-pressed latinum, which is why the space Jew race covets it.

>and the Federation has lots of laws.
Space is big, and most of it isn't Federation.

>you need money
They explicitly, repeatedly say there is no money in the Federation. It's literally a plot point multiple times that they have to barter shit to do business with non-Federation money-using people, and are confused by the whole process.

They don't have money but they do ration the energy that is used for teleportation. There was an episode in TNG where a cadet says he used up his alotment of credits going back and forth between the academy and his home.

If I had to extrapolate from that it makes sense that you have something akin to energy rations because replicating shit and holodecks consumes energy which isn't infinite even with fusion reactors.

I imagine if you do work for the Federation you can get more credits to use and anything that is akin to "money" is handled by the Federation when dealing with races/goverments who still have a scarcity based economy of some sort.

Nah

Attached: 4F774E29-AE5B-4D52-870C-DE53C95891BD.jpg (760x570, 229K)

More like a slow leak until a force field can be deployed over the bullet hole, also how can a ship be sturdy enough for warp travel and combat but not enough to withstand the stopping powah' of a 45?

Star Trek has so many fascist memes.

>Can't practice genetic engineering: evolutionary dead end
>AI registered and controlled, no AI rights
>Only Nominally a Democracy, require a position in the Navy to advance career.
>Dem Basic Bitch Kindergarten Computers

>cadets have their travel limited
>this means there must be an energy credit economy in the Federation, despite no one else ever giving half a shit about using energy ever

lol, what if they had backups of you at other stations and simply disintegrated you every time you 'teleported'

Obviously no one ever really discussed the nature of Federation economy in any great depth. In my mind that makes sense but then my view of the trek verse is vastly different from the Utopian ideal where everyone is a peacenik hippy who never does anything bad

Why would they do that?

They literally did that with Picard, the true version of him died so they pulled up a older copy of him

>federation has no money
>everyone barters or uses an external currency within federation borders

Attached: Federation gun safety.webm (636x472, 570K)

how come they never store copies of crewmen who are lost on away missions or when their computer console explodes every episode?

That's what happens when you use cheap ayy lmao steel instead of REAL AMERICAN STEEL

I kinda like the TOS phaser better.

Attached: phaser1.jpg (639x438, 46K)

if electricity and materials aren't a soft currency then what is?

The problem with utopian space commies with replicators is that they don't (very boringly for TV) go into any of this. because it would be a bog on the story and the progressive future of the 1960's of a pure meritocracy where you could be a black woman or an asian fag and be a bridge crew member of a city sized starship and no one would ever mention it.

Still your average planet based guy would be what? A n33t? enough allotted electricity and food and a communal replicator that won't print guns or ammo? In the same periods star trek was made movies like TXH1128 and Logans run express how people chafe under the shackles of such a system. We're experiencing it now with the collapse of work ethic.

The only thing that would have value if there wasn't currency or a different between class would be one thing in a communist society
>starfleet
political power = resources.

You'd have red faction helgast martians or firefly rebels in a hot fucking second under a star trek style fantasy government. entire star systems of non augmented kahns who don't want a boot on their neck.
youtube.com/watch?v=fbHdMTqE0C0

Attached: 9b3b1b0e2701e244f271268209f55db9.jpg (565x799, 63K)

I honestly don't know, the series isn't very consistent

>but then my view of the trek verse is vastly different from the Utopian ideal where everyone is a peacenik hippy who never does anything bad

Then you must love DS9 and STD, since both are centered on black criminals.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 9K)

>phaser
Thats some fag shit. You want the greatest weapon of all time. The air taser.

Attached: OSEJffC.gif (500x283, 984K)

This is why I like Star-Trek more for just telling sci-fi stories and having interesting aliens, and kind of don't take the Federation very seriously.

I like the Ferengi and the Klingons because they feel more believable.

Star Trek is soft sci-fi, and mostly has been non-serial monster-of-the-week storylines. They constantly introduced technology to drive the plot of a single episode, then never mentioned it again.

Two of the most notable examples would be the teleporter also being both a cloning machine and a fountain of youth.

Or all of Discovery, where they create instantaneous non-warp travel prior to most of the other series occurring, then decide to forget about it just because.

Gay shit. Grow up.

Phasers have auto-aimers, it's in the books and supplemental material mate. You just hold it out and it'll automatically make the beam go to the closest hostile target or most imminently dangerous one (i.e. has a gun already pointed at you)

computers manage all of that

Fountain of Youth? The only other stupid thing I recall was when scotty managed to fanagle the teleporter of the shuttle to go into a near infinite test loop so he and a dude he was with would survive in that state. Scotty survived it but apparently the other dude didn't get his molecules re-arranged back together the right way and had to be killed.

Probably because Discovery is fucking garbage and Star-Trek hasn't been good since DS9.

You would be an expert on gay shit.

>Logans run express how people chafe under the shackles of such a system.
You never noticed anything else about life in Logan's Run for people to not like? Nothing at all? The only thing for anyone to be upset about there was that they would never have to worry about being destitute? Then again it seems you think this knowledge that your base needs will be taken care of is an oppressive boot to live under, so I guess you have some very special ideas about these thing. Maybe you weren't planning on living to thirty anyway? Or twenty for that matter?

I think there was an episode where Picard became young due to a transporter mishap, which I'm honestly not sure how that's even supposed to work by the logic of the series.
But then, it once split Kirk into two.

Trusting the judgment of a computer in a life and death situation like that isn't something I'd be comfortable with.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rascals_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)
>In this episode, the bodies of Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Patrick Stewart) and three other crewmembers are reduced to those of 12-year-old children in a transporter accident.

>Trusting the judgment of a computer in a life and death situation like that isn't something I'd be comfortable with.
Yeah, but you don't live in a society where you ride around in a spaceship mostly flies itself and travel medium distances by suicide booth.

Hard to disagree with results

Calm down Genos.

Attached: Incineration.gif (430x242, 2.45M)

>You would be an expert on gay shit
Wow.... just....wow.

Pretty sure they list the Star Fleet Academy's loction as "San Fransicsco, California, United States" in one of the movies suggesting that at least the major nation-states of Earth retained some level of autonomy.

>blows hole through wall
>decompressurizes compartment
>gets sucked asshole first through a bullet shape hole into space
This doesn't actually happen though, unless the thing that passed through the hole was cold war to modern era kinetic penetrator with +30MJ of energy

Attached: 66.jpg (431x401, 20K)

still small arms. maybe if i need to get all my joints replaced and treads installed we can start saying we are leaving the realm of small arms but a 37mm wp stored underneath my tounge will not bridge that gap.

>wut is mouse utopia
>being murdered by the state at 21 is fine you get free health care!

Attached: concervative pikachu.jpg (1055x1005, 172K)

The only setting you need is kill.

Attached: 1558769003350.jpg (800x450, 313K)

>, it's in the books and supplemental material mate
IIRC it's in DS9 as well, when Kira is explaining to Dukat's kid about the differences between a standard issue Cardie disruptor and Feddie phase rifle.

Star Fleet is extremely Fascist, The Federation as a whole extremely Neoliberal, Earth very (fantastically functional) Communist. The Federation is primarily a free-trade organization, with its military (Star Fleet) operating mostly independently and with their Prime Directive being the enforcement of a segregationist status quo between its member/protectorate ethnostates. The entire world is built on the presumption of a soft ethno-nationalism based on pragmatic geological borders. The parable for IRL Earth would be continental-scale ethnostates ruled over by military super-state and free trade organization.

It's also important to remember that Star Trek Earth is actually a fucking crazy post-post-apocalypse planet that had a eugenics/genetic-engineering arms-race in place of the dysgenics and population warfare we've suffered IRL. Their humans are genuinely just fucking better.

rascals de-aging is the best possible example of just how 'soft' Star Treks science really is. it's pure magic for the sake of a cute and funny one-off episode. in the same episode the enterprise somehow gets taken over by a boarding party of like eight ferengis who then have the entire 1000+ crew off the ship beam down to a slave labor camp but keep the kids on board for absolutely no stated reason. there have been a lot of different writers, some better than others.

The planet's still called Earth, so that must mean the UN controls the Federation.