How do you maximize the 5.56 tumbling effect?

How do you maximize the 5.56 tumbling effect?

Attached: 5.56-Yawing-Without-Fragmentation.jpg (564x131, 7K)

you buy one of those meme straight rifled sbrs

You ignore it and use fragmenting ammunition or bonded OTMs.

wiggle your arms while firing.

"Bolo" rounds

Make the bullet longer

Attached: M855_350meters.webm (854x480, 628K)

In theory, you shoot from a certain distance. The tumble only works at certain velocities.

In practice, just keep shooting. You've got a lightweight, high velocity round. Poke enough holes in a man and he's gonna die.

A 20" 1:12 or (1:14 maybe) twist barrel, and use the heaviest round that it can possibly stabilize, 55 grain (can't remember exactly but i think 1:12 stabilizes too well and you want a bit of wobble but nit tumbling before the target). The idea is to barely stabilize the bullet. This is also an excellent way if increasing lethality because one gets a more lethal bullet behaviour in targets from 300 - 600 but ibe doesnt sacrifice any fragmentation effect at under 300m. In fact, fragmentation is excellent due to the 3200ish+ fps one achieves with this bullet weight and barrel length.

Fragmentation only happens above an approximate velocity threshold. Tumbling actually becomes more consistent at distance because the angle of attack of the bullet stabilizes and at a certain point increases.

Attached: 855YawHistory.png (701x451, 177K)

Long barrel. Close quarters.

Use 1:14 twist.

match your twist rate with your bullet weight

I've got an 18" 1:8 barrel, what do?

Get 5.45 instead

>get a worse round instead because of reasons

I'd say get a different barrel, or attempt to find the largest possible grain bullet that barrel can shoot without keyholing. You will be losing out on some terminal ballistic effects, so ensure youre using sone sort of hollowpoint or something to try and recreate the fragmentation that youd lose out on at the greater ranges. Ir just get a 1:14 20" barrel and buy 55grain ammo in bulk.

>angle of attack
>Tumbling actually becomes more consistent at distance
It’s like kindergarten here.

1. Bullets tumbled in flight until they changed the rate of twist. If using the correct twist rate for the bullet, tumbling does not occur in flight.
2. Any bullet from any weapon can begin to tumble after hitting an intermediate target.
3. When hitting a target, the bullet will slow down and no longer be stabilized by the spinning.
4. The center of gravity for a 5.56 bullet is it’s base, not the tip and the reason it will tumble as it slows down.
5. The bullet might break at the cannelure as it tumbles.
6. 5.56 bullets were not designed to tumble nor were they designed to fragment.
7. Breaking at the cannelure does not happen at extended ranges when velocity has decreased. I think the distance is 200 meters for 855. I’m sure someone will correct me if wrong.

>The center of gravity for a 5.56 bullet is it’s base
honestly never knew this

Get you some M856, I guess?

>How do you maximize the 5.56 tumbling effect?
Shake the gun with great intensity while firing

Attached: 1291180332294_doggo_smug.png (1243x1143, 1.99M)

buy a revolver

most bullets are thicker at the base than the tip because of the bullet shape we associate with them, even pistol rounds

but rifle rounds are much longer, and with a more pronounced point, making them even more disbalanced than pistol rounds, hence the signature tumble

this actually posed a problem for NASA, as designs for the return lander for the apollo missions tumbled too much on re entry, as a pointy design was too unstable
the return lander was eventually made into the famous blunt tip because of this, so it would remain bottom down on re entry

All spitzer bullets will eventually tumble if there's enough of a medium. The angle of attack is what makes them tumble early which is what OP wants since it means greater terminal effect. So yes, angle of attack is more important for tumbling. It's why M855 would "ice pick" Somalis even at close range. It had such an inconsistent fleet yaw that its angle of attack would be 0 degrees and sail through them even though it had enough velocity to fragment.

Attached: FleetYaw2.jpg (526x518, 46K)

5.45 works as advertised and has good terminal effect out of very short barrels. I have a pile of dead raccoons that can attest.

Attached: IMG_4118.jpg (2790x2043, 3.09M)

neat stuff, thanks. never thought about it

Does 'long range' heavy ammo exist for 545?

So only shoot at people if they are above you.
Got it thanks for the tip.

Shiggy diggy dumbass.

No. A heavier bullet is more stable
You don’t account for velocity

This is the second time you've severely misunderstood what I've said. Are you merely pretending to be retarded or is your chin as wet as a waterfall?