Sc/out/ here, I'm looking to get a gun for when I'm camping alone...

sc/out/ here, I'm looking to get a gun for when I'm camping alone, mainly for self defense and potentially some small game hunting if I get a license.

The issue is I live in NJ and I'm 19. I know I can't get a pistol because jersey is gay but what would be a good starter gun for this? I have shot a 22cal long rifle and a 9mm hand gun, but that was years ago and with my dad. Read the sticky and might just get a 22 but I'm not sure how it is for self defense.

Attached: 1563809961263.png (1196x752, 21K)

SKS

>Scout
Elaborate

What specifically are you trying to defend yourself from innawoods?

Are there even dangerous animals in the Northeast? .22 is good for small game but crap for self defense. You could get a .38/.357 lever action or a 9mm carbine for self defense, but I wouldn't hunt small game with it. If there's nothing scary in the woods over there, I'd stick with a .22.

/out/

This, but hurry because they aren't getting cheaper.

This
There’s nothing to be afraid of inna woods
The best way to experience nature is to travel light, anyway.

dumb frogposter

ruger 10/22 takedown
or a shotgun

Oh I thought you were like a 19D or a boyscout or something.
Get a 30-30 leverghat at a pawnshop. Or a police trade-in Wingmaster. Or a Maverick 88 Field/Security combo. You can find any of them for under $300

If you're hiking I'd get something light that breaks down, like a Ruger 10/22 takedown. If you're just going to a site and setting up for a couple days (and considering your states draconian laws) maybe a good all around shotgun like a Mossberg 500.

How hard are these to acquire? It's a WWII weapon right, are they even still be manufactured?

We have bears but that's about it. It's mostly for peace of mind + it looks like it's only going to get harder to get a gun.

I was thinking a shotgun maybe

Look at either a Chiappa M6 in 12 gauge or the Chiappa Double Badger.

They’re essentially a double barreled single shot .22 over a single shot of 20 or 12 gauge. Perfect for most applications you’ll need and has the added benefits of not making you choose between one or the other.

Attached: 23FAE3BC-F994-43B1-8BB1-30EBB9A2A7C1.jpg (231x218, 8K)

>30-30 leverghat
He's camping in Jersey not fighting Comanche out on the plains.
>I was thinking a shotgun maybe
All things considered I think a scattergat is a good call for you. They're cheap, ammo is relatively inexpensive, and not much is going to give you better peace of mind in a commie state than a big ol shotty.

Post WWII, and they're about $400 for Chinese or yugoslavian ones. Honestly, I'd recommend a ruger American ranch, or mossberg mvp. A bolt action that takes detachable mags is pretty aesthetic.

>Chiappa Double Badger.
I think I'm gonna go for a combo like this. The double badger is hard to find in the 22/20ga combo. I'm looking around but does anyone know any good shotgun/rifle combos? Apparently rifle hunting in NJ is pretty much illegal but I still want the combo.

nvm I can't really find any combo guns in the 22/20ga combo. Looks like I'll probably get the 22/410ga combo. Looks like I can do small game hunting with it albeit with short range.

Fellow Philly fag here that frequents Jersey. Little word of advice...you're better off moving the fuck out of NJ because the laws are so ass backwards that you cannot openly or even conceal a firearm while camping in the communist state of NJ.

>how hard are these to acquire
i dont know about NJ laws but i would imagine they'd be easier to get than an AR
fixed magazine and naturally 10 rds
but they are still viable rifles
10 rounds of 7.62x39 on tap isnt anything to sneeze at as far as self defense goes
and many people use them for hunting with success as well
if you are able to get one i would recommend it

my other suggestion would be a 12ga shotgun

*checks wikipedia for NJ gun laws*

.22 is a decent plinkster and varmint gun, but most Jow Forumsommandos wouldn't recommend it for defense against man nor beast. Most of the Cold War battle rifles seem to be banned (SKS included if it's a detachable mag version), along with a lot of intermediate-caliber weapons. There is a specific exception for the M1A (civilianized M14), but semi-autos are cucked pretty hard otherwise. I'd recommend trying to get some range time with one, and if it kicks too hard for your or is too heavy to haul, then maybe look into lever guns.

Yeah once unit is done I’m moving to an out approved state. NJ stinks and everyone here knows it.

Will have to check out the M1A. I’m really thinking a lever right now though. I’m just think a 12ga might be too much to start so maybe a 20ga. I’m gonna have to call up the nj state police and figure out what’s actually allowed. The amount of restrictions on this stuff is annoying

12ga is very versatile
target/game loads are very light recoiling and wont hurt you much at all
you can then work up to buck or slugs for defensive use

Im not sure if theyre still manufactured today, maybe by norinco. either way they are everywhere, not as cheap as they used to be but still plenty available and still very affordable

if you're still unsure I'd go with a mossberg maverick 88 shotgun. its a solid shotgun for a solid price. if you want to be a hipster get a S&W model 3000 shotgun, a bit rare but still cheap

Look into so-called "over-under" combination weapons (ie, rifle + shotgun). Savage Arms made a lot of them which are often fairly cheap these days.

Attached: DISCONTINUED-SAVAGE-MODEL-24-OVER-UNDER-RIFLE-SHOTGUN-IN-223-REM-CALIBER-OVER-20-GA-SHOTGUN_10110729 (1920x1080, 371K)