Palmetto State AK

Jow Forums thinking of buying a PSA AK and a few mags. I already have an AR and I was thinking it would be nice to have one of each platform just in case they need to meet with an unfortunate boating accident. My knowledge is limited on the AK platform, but it seems to be a good product and manufacturer.
Any opinions to recommend or detract from the Gen3 Palmetto AKs?

Attached: psaak.jpg (1200x413, 44K)

Attached: click me.jpg (82x125, 2K)

PSA is fine, the main detraction you'll see is
>it's not com bloc
>it's not proven
Lurk /akg/, learn how to recognize signs of an AK about to fail (rivets separating, trunnion cracking)
Buy one if you like, shoot it, and report back on it if something happens.

The new GF3's are a solid product. Component quality and fitment are excellent, especially for the price. The nitride finish on everything is also a huge plus; much more durable and resistant to solvents than the painted-on finish of the Arsenals and more resistant to corrosion than the parkerizing on the Romies. The only* real knock against them is that the barrels aren't cold hammer forged, so they don't have quite the same surface hardness as a combloc barrel (which translates to slightly less durability at high round count shooting steel jacketed ammo - yes, it's a mild steel jacket, not copper). The nitride finish helps there, too, though, since it's actually a more durable finish than conventional chrome-lining. TL;DR buy with confidence.

The GF3 barrel isn’t chrome lined nor is it cold hammer forged. That’s why I haven’t bought one.

they're offering CHF barrels soon

The non-CHF barrel is legitimate; that does matter at high round count (I.e. 15k+), but you won't notice any meaningful difference until then - or really after, for all practical purposes. Groups will just open up a bit faster, and realistically, most people never shoot that much anyway. Chrome lining is a non-issue, though. Nitriding is simply a better process. Harder, more durable, and preserves the rifling's original geometry - I.e. better accuracy. It's not the traditional finish, but it is, in every respect, better.

If you need just an ak, then its perfectly fine.
Honestly aks can be cheap and fine.

Wait till they release them with FN CHF barrels.

I'd still prefer to buy a used WASR from recent production runs, just because imported AKs will retain their value better and because you'd get a true combloc chrome lined hammer forged barrel.

The PSA AK is better than a C39v2 and passed the AK Operators' Union torture tests, but I still wouldn't quite trust it when the WASR is so widely available still.

why are you asking Jow Forums? go on youtube and watch some torture and accuracy tests.

why are you asking Jow Forums? go on youtube and watch some torture and accuracy tests.
>Why don't I watch a the Green Berets instead of talking to a veteran?
Youtube is great but I wanted opinion and discourse with people who may or may not be familiar or passionate about the platform. I've already learned a bit and have more to take into consideration by reading the insights from fellow anons in this thread. Sifting thru the bullshit, I've learned alot from Jow Forums.

You should buy the rifle, 1k rounds, several mags, and go have fun and learn user.
the GF3 is a pretty good rifle, get out there and get some experience, and please have fun too.
Take your time and you'll be fine.

just dont buy the zhukov.

I was actually interested in the zhukov, well the "moekov".
Care to elaborate?

That will be a higher priced gun called the AK-E (enchanted) with a CHF barrel from FNH USA.

Between the AK-E and the promise of 5.45 AKs I’m very interested in the AK related near future offerings from PSA.

Attached: 1DA35A35-36DA-4367-8953-8E48D63B7394.png (800x599, 831K)

Come on PSA offer up a milspec, steel bodied AK mag. I’ll never trust a polymer AK mag, steel lined or not. Steel or bakelight only.

zhukov handguards are clamped to the barrel, just lost of examples of them being improperly installed.
If you do get one, I'd recommend getting some thread lock and resetting the screws.
the Moekovs are just the zhukov stocks with the MOE handguards which use the original handguard retainer

what is wrong with people? why do you keep asking about everything except wasrs? poor people have no one to blame but themselves

Thanks for all the input Jow Forums. Bit of a moot point since they're out of stock since this latest political shitshow. Please keep it coming.

aside from zhukov fitting, PSAKs are solid pieces. PSA is a godsend and i hate the cunts that shit on them for shekels

Amen. Finally, at long last, an American company making a decent AK.

Now just waiting for their PSAK-74...