P89 Ruger opinions

Have any k/ommados shot or call used the P89’s? The only other 9mm i have is a Beretta 92. I want a spare 9MM, and the P89 seems to fit the bill.

Attached: 610ABA71-2884-41F6-BC41-B149B24F1CE9.png (2150x1633, 1.3M)

OP being a faggot here. Whats a gud price for one?

Attached: B14A03A3-4246-4526-9247-B90CDD0FCB3B.jpg (300x300, 21K)

I bought a P85MKII awhile back for $300 CAD. Haven’t shot it yet since I’m on vacation.

They are built like tanks
I use one for new shooters because the recoil is pathetically weak
LifeHack: They function as a phenomenal bludgeon should you run out of ammo

I grew up shooting one for competition in the early 00s. They're fuckin tanks man, great gun, easy to shoot, reliable. It was the first semi auto pistol I started shooting on a regular basis. They're a little bulky compared to modern stuff but it'll definitely get the job done, plus it's got that 90s aesthetic going

Is it as rugged as the 92? The only reason I ask is because I would use +p or +p+ in it.

why'd they stop making them? I've literally never heard a bad thing about one

Damn american guns are fugly.

Lol. I wondered the same thing too. Was it just because of Average sales?

About $250

Let's try some reasons, as a P89 owner
>heavy for a 9mm even at the time
>once the AWB kicked in you had a monster of a pistol that carried just 10 rounds of 9mm, the 45 ACP example was ok
>awful lanyard loop that impeded reloads
>investment cast everything, including the barrel
>awful trigger in DA, passable in SA
>poor hammer
>sky high sights considering they were not intended to be used for a suppressor
and last but not least
>extremely ugly, with a grip reminiscent of a hipoint
now that that rant is finished, I want to know where I can get a threaded barrel for one.

The P89 is a mixed bag, but mostly good value.

Pros:
-Easy to shoot because of a pretty mild recoil impulse and surprisingly good trigger
-High capacity always a plus for an obsolete handgun
-A mostly modern manual of arms, nothing too strange here, although the mag release is a push forward rather than push in type
-The one I owned was 100% reliable with FMJ (never tested it with hollow points, desu), and they have a reputation for being reliable

Cons:
-It's enormous, very W I D E and feels like it had to be made so thick because perhaps the materials are cheap/weak, like a Hi-Point. You will see casting marks on the outside of the slide.
-It kind of feels cheap overall. I don't agree with the people who cite meme descriptors like "built like a brick shithouse." It's built well enough, but feels like the Port-a-potty of handguns.
-The ergonomics aren't very modern, the trigger guard is the opposite of undercut and the slide-mounted safety is a little annoying -- althoughthe decocker model mostly solves this.
-The slide has no serrations, and although you don't really need them with the design, it always struck me as weird

Overall, it's a good "range gun," but so is a Glock or anything else.

$250 is a good used price. $300 will be the standard asking price (and IMO, they are worth $300), but they rarely sell for that much. If you pay $300 for one and later want to sell it, you will probably only get $250 for it. You will see gun stores asking $400 for used models. Just ignore them. They are trolling for idiots.

>I grew up shooting one for competition in the early 00s.
For what competition? NRA matches? Or local club shoot the pumpkin match?

Motorcycle bank robbery/10

Attached: ryan_gosling_p89_beyond_the_pines.gif (400x168, 1.97M)

THIIIIIIS
fucking boat anchor

>loads magazine into empty gun
don't forget the lack of a rail

>not inserting mag with dry chamber so you can rack the slide menacingly without ejecting rounds like an asshole
Pleb

>investment cast everything, including the barrel
Are you sure about the barrel?
Ruger typically does CHF for barrels, since they have that capability, or are you implying that the blanks are investment cast?
Genuinely curious.

Had one as my first handgun and got another later on.

If you like the Beretta 92 it's like a cheaper, chunkier, less refined but much more durable equivalent. The trigger is awful even by DA/SA standards and it has a big obnoxious slide mounted safety, but it will eat the worst ammo and run perfectly under the absolute worst conditions.

Beware of one thing though, there was a change in the magazine pattern between the P85/early P89 and later P89s/95s/P Series. The later ones used slightly wider magazines which do not fit in early models (not smoothly anyway) and early pattern magazines are a bit scarce, although you can buy them directly from Ruger for way too much money.
About $250-350. They are cheap because they were cheap when they were new, many were made, almost none are worn out and nobody really looks for them.

>Ruger typically does CHF for barrels, since they have that capability
Source needed

No the barrel is literally cast. Pick one up some day. Keep in mind that this is a budget handgun from the late 80s

I think the final one was the P97, that ended in 2004 when the SR's went into production. It was a very 80's design and they have better manufacturing techniques and designs now. It is not a very good carry pistol, which is where the market is now. Now the real question is why the hell they ended the SR series.

The Beretta 92 has endured some of the most abuse ever thrown at a pistol and kept going. 92's are on par with the USP for durability.

they make good boat anchors and door stops

The P95 series had the first synthetic grips. Which was considered an upgrade. The P345 series also took over the existing .45 pattern. Eventually those were phased out due to the SR9 series. Ruger went all polymer frame.

P89s are an interesting gun.
They've always been cheap but very good.
They actually passed the testing at the Aberdeen proving grounds in the same tests that Beretta had for the M9. But a combination of it being late and the M9 outlasting it in operational use meant it lost out.

Honestly for most people it's a better value as you'll never use the gun as much as you ever will in that test. And it's cheaper than an M9, especially now.

They actually are even easier to field strip than an M9. If you don't remove the barrel and recoil spring from the slide housing, then you only have one free piece aside from the magazine.

It's basically a slight modernization of the hi-power. But a hell of alot more economical.

that gun is disgustingly ugly. whoever designed it should be shot.

Samefag,
Having all three and shooting all three I must say the P95 and P345 are more finicky than the P89. They like at least mid-quality ammunition.

The P89 on the other hand... That fucker will eat anything. It's a pig and I love it. Only advice is, the grip may be uncomfortable for some people, mine is flush and worn down, but i've heard other people say the plate can be sharp and you may have to rub it down a bit.

I like them, but I think glocks are fucking ugly ass boxes. And they work a hell of a lot better.
Your point is?

Is it wrong I only want one because Arnold in True Lies?

Attached: 600px-TL-RugerKP90-3.jpg (600x255, 50K)

No, I was thrilled when I saw them in Jericho.

I think i'm going to buy one, user. They're only like $300. Not bad imo.

I had a spare 300 and I was like... I could buy a nintendo switch or a P89...
I was not disappointed with the P89.

> Under 300$ Ruger

Why not buy a newer model Ruger for 300$ and under?

You can find everything from SR9s, to Security 9's, to RAP's for ~320$ to 270$

The RAP was meant to be a service pistol like the P89. I got a compact for ~320$ and I'm pretty damn happy with it.

>why the hell they ended the SR series.
They split product lines. The SR series is great, but it's neither the most robust, nor the cheapest they made. It was the most Aesthetic though

Mechanically, the American series is built like the P89, intended for the military service pistol trial requirements of it's time. Fully Nitrided, no maintenance, simplified takedown, it's arguably better than the P89 if you don't mind DAO striker
Economically, the Security 9 is a cheaper manufacture. Alloy and internal hammer, the everyman's truck gun.

Attached: Ruger-SR9-OD-Green.jpg (533x383, 31K)

Meant for OP and
>Now the real question is why the hell they ended the SR series.
>92's are on par with the USP for durability.
Ruger's RAP pistol had a lot of design feedback from the 92 in regards to sand-resistance. M9's took a beating in the desert, and they switched to plastic parts on a few bits for this reason IIRC. The RAP is overkill space age with the Nitride + Teflon coatings.

RAP's are a bargain if you look at the cost of Nitriding, and self-lubricating polymer coatings. Independent testing was at 25K overpressure rounds before minor maintenance was required.

Attached: b141b17e6256769094493f3f74c28ef1.jpg (600x475, 28K)

Owner here, just shot it today. Yeah it's heavy but that means it shoots smooth. Trigger is not the best, but I don't have much to compare to. It has badass retro look. And, you own a 92, which means if you are willing to mod the mags they can share. Not many people know this but the mags are basically the same with different catches and base plate angles. The P89 can use modified Beretta mags, the reverse is not true, but that's fine because Beretta mags are easier to find.

That's pretty interesting. I just wish they had gone to an updated version with the RAP improvements instead of making an Economy variant and then trying to launch a new line-up.

the "P" stands for poorfag.

Attached: 1563994232988.jpg (2078x1768, 522K)

I owned a P95. The biggest flaw in my view, is that during take down, getting the slide back on requires lowering the ejector. If its up when you put the slide back on then its stuck halfway on and you have to fish the ejector down with a coat-hanger thru the magwell.

Local pistol range matches. My grandfather got me into shooting young, so I was blessed in that aspect. 32, socive been shooting almost 20 years now

You can just push the ejector down with a finger?

You can't when its stuck, with the slide blocking the ejector/magwell area. pic related is what im talking about. When its like this, the slide is jammed and your like able to make it travel by like 1 inch.

Attached: photo(2).jpg (640x480, 81K)

GIF for your epileptic pleasure

> I just wish they had gone to an updated version with the RAP improvements
Did you see the other entries for the XM17 trials? S&W's "were they inspired by fish or something" M&P aesthetics are the only standout. Everything else is late 90's to 00's future-punk.

Everything is converging so hard, the Isralei's new handgun looks like a Ruger American clone.

Attached: AMERISADA_samedimensions_angleslightyoff.gif (750x552, 353K)

Ruger P89 was one of the first guns I ever purchased. It is probably one of my favorite guns to shoot to this day. It has jammed up twice in the entire 15 years that I have owned it, and I go to the range regularaly. The 15 round capacity is a huge plus as well. I highly recommend this gun

Where the fuck do you think River CHF AR barrels come from?

I cc a p85 mk2 daily and it's one of my favorites. Never had any problems out of it but it can get pretty uncomfortable to carry all day and it does weigh about 4 lbs loaded.
I paid $320 5 years ago with 3 mags and case.

Shhheeeiittt the one I was looking at was from the first year of the model.

I know. I know replying to my own post- bad form... i’m on an international flight. ( don't worry Its a white country) so how fucked am I if I get the early serial number?