10mm problem

Hello, after much deliberation amongst myself, I decided I will use 10mm for deer this hunting season. I live in Iowa, so straight walled cartridges are only allowed. 10mm is cheaper than any other caliber, and plentiful.

Now, I have 2 options that I am stuck on.

1st option is a full retard AR-15 PCC build. I have sourced every part to about 600-700 for the build alone. I will make a pistol with a brace for compactness. Also, I can shoot 40 s&w out of it as well to keep ammo costs down.

2nd option is a Hi-point carbine in 10mm. Just a carbine with a 16 inch barrel but i'm not a fan of the plastic all around. Cheap, however, and can place a nice red dot on it.

Wut do, Jow Forums?

Attached: carbine.jpg (800x450, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cheaperthandirt.com/henry-big-boy-lever-action-rifle-.357-magnum.38-special-20-octagon-barrel-10-rounds-polished-hardened-brass-receiver-american-walnut-stock-blued-barrel/FC-619835060020.html
ballisticsbytheinch.com/megraphs/357mag.html
ballisticsbytheinch.com/megraphs/10mm.html
youtube.com/watch?v=Cr6PPk1TKxY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bump

You can't use a rifle? Or a shotgun with Sabot?

Well provided your shot placements fine and range and yaddayadda, the big question is you got bills due?

>straight wall only

10mm could work, especially out of a longer barrel, the question is bullet choice.

God damn Iowa nigger you need a .450 bushmaster or .50 Beowulf upper on a AR15 or 45-70 , I've hunted all over eastern Iowa with a 12 gauge with slugs like most here and I've always got deer in my freezer.

Is there a law against using a 30.06 or .223 rifle? I know another midwest state that had one but recently changed.

Could go lever action .357, those guns are sweet and .357 out of a long barrel generates seriously impressive power. Well enough to drop a deer out to as far as you will want to shoot it. Also classy as fuck.
cheaperthandirt.com/henry-big-boy-lever-action-rifle-.357-magnum.38-special-20-octagon-barrel-10-rounds-polished-hardened-brass-receiver-american-walnut-stock-blued-barrel/FC-619835060020.html

10mm out of 14 inch barrel has more energy than .223 out of a 20 inch barrel, and a LOT more momentum.

Why wouldnt he want a shorter hunting rifle that is cheaper, more reliable, has more energy, momentum, better expanding ammo, is quieter, has less flash and so on????

hahahahaha WHAT?
Are you retarded?
10mm would maybe have half the energy of .223

Thanks for the feedback, friends. I chose 10mm because I was informed it was a beefier 357 mag

> 450 or 50

Fuck that. I'm not paying a dollar per round to use only for deer season.

I had a marlin then sold it. Thought about buying it back but I don't see the point of doing that when I could just get something more I'm acquainted with, as I chose an ar15 pistol in 10mm.

You are like the only fag I would recommend 350 Legend to
>ammo cost
lol wat
reload fag

I've considered that as well. Dnr said it's legal, so I'm considering it and buying a ruger american in 350 legend.

Did you not notice the longer barrel? Im sure I mentioned it.... Let me check.

Yep I mentioned it.

In that situation 10mm has 521m/s speed with 8.8 gram projectile simple kinetic energy calculation gives 1200 joules total kinetic energy.

.223 is 1500J to 1700J out of a full rifle barrel depending on load.

tl;dr you are both wrong

Although overpressure 10mm would be pretty amazing.

Ever actually shoot a deer with a .357 magnum?

>10mm because I was informed it was a beefier 357 mag
I mean, maybe, but at a 20 inch barrel you can be generating over 1000 ftlbs of energy and a lot of expansion. ballisticsbytheinch.com/megraphs/357mag.html
I don’t think you get the same energy/velocity out of 10mm from a long barrel:
ballisticsbytheinch.com/megraphs/10mm.html

.357 is going to shoot flatter due to higher velocity, and hit at least as hard. If you want 10mm because memes, then sure, ballistically it really isn’t better in long barrels.

10mm isn’t cheaper than 45lc. Go to bed zoomer piece of shit.

> .50 cents per round for 45 LC
> .26-30 cents per round for 10mm

Yea ok buddy.

1) Data shows 10mm is better in barrels shorter than about 10"

800 ftlbs being middle-of-the-road for 10mm can't be done by 223 until a 10" barrel or longer.

2) No shit, because 10mm is loaded with handgun powder. You might try a 10mm load with rifle powder.

Attached: 10mm vs 223.png (1016x1024, 131K)

Just go get a .357 or .44 Magnum levergun, you hipster.

Yeah like OP said, only straight wall cartridges are legal. Anything where the case necks down to the size of the bullet like 30-06 or .223 is illegal to hunt with. I guess the thinking behind the law is that since states like Iowa and Ohio are flat as shit, then you don't want rounds traveling as far and hitting someone or something you don't intend to. So the law wants to nudge you towards using something with a heavy bullet, low velocity, and poor ballistic coefficient like .45-70 so that it drops off quickly and minimizes the risk of collateral damage. Not that I have anything against .45-70 or support the law. That's just their reasoning behind it.

>buy 10mm
>dude muh power
>all commercial ammo is loaded to .40 spec

kek

Buy a Savage Axis in a decent rifle cartridge and come out ahead. You don't pick a slightly spicier .45acp to hunt animals heavier than you. This is such a bubba OP.

45-70

Gotcha covered op, just make sure if a warden spots you you pull the trigger on "accident" to form the case before he comes over

Attached: 308in3006.jpg (246x324, 17K)

Unless you have a 10mm pistol then I'd get something neato like a .45-70

Glock

Attached: Mech-Tech002b.jpg (1127x396, 70K)

> I live in Iowa, so straight walled cartridges are only allowed.

why is that still a thing ?

Is it legal to put a stock on a pistol before you take it out for hunting?

Just get the hi-point, it is cheap and plenty capable. You can beat it up and not worry since the warranty is solid. I'm just holding out for a double stack 10mm hi-point carbine, I'd legit use it for HD since I wouldn't care if the cops sat on it

Just gonna drop this here, no opinion on Hi-point vs AR, but it's good info about 10mm in 16" barrels:
youtube.com/watch?v=Cr6PPk1TKxY

Attached: 10mm carbine ballistics.png (1870x1149, 1.05M)