Combustion light-gas gun as a weapon

So a few questions, cost to build?

Legality?

Effectiveness? Got the idea after learning about them from the Garaed Bull thread

Attached: b36-last-b36-by-ishmael.jpg (635x291, 36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combustion_light-gas_gun
youtube.com/watch?v=CJKOcV9148o
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-gas_gun
breakingdefense.com/2018/10/army-builds-1000-mile-supergun/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destructive_device
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Anyone?

Help out your own thread by providing an overview of what you're talking about and link to some examples/elaborations.

Attached: 1567889928051.jpg (1200x1200, 182K)

The light gas guns I have heard of are huge stationary things used for experiments, not weapons. They use dual stages and burst discs. Not feasible as a weapon at all. Maybe as some benchtop toy.

>Combustion light-gas gun
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combustion_light-gas_gun

youtube.com/watch?v=CJKOcV9148o

None of those questions can really be adequately answered by most people on this board. Cost is certainly impossible to estimate. On the legality front, I don't think they'd be regulated as firearms or destructive devices under the NFA, but I have no idea. When it comes to effectiveness, there's really not enough of a need for the velocities achieved by a light gas gun that outweighs the various drawbacks (complexity vs other systems, potentially lower durability, cost). The main reason rail guns are being looked at as a practical way to achieve high velocity projectiles is due to their relative simplicity vs both light gas and traditional artillery. Overall, light gas guns will likely continue to be relegated for laboratory use only.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-gas_gun

If you like the idea of super long range artillery, though, this might be interesting to you:
breakingdefense.com/2018/10/army-builds-1000-mile-supergun/

Basically, the Army is looking to fire rocket-assisted shells out of a huge cannon as a lower-cost alternative to targeted cruise missile strikes.

Are you talking about building one yourself or are we talking as a military weapon? What size are you imagining? Handheld, cannon, artillery?

Building on as a mil weapon.

Or a group of Patriot using one as an ambush tool for armor...in minecraft of course

legally they would be regulated by the ATF, probably as destructive devices because they are large bore weapons that use explosive chemical propellant

Well as far as legality assuming you are in the USA.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destructive_device

But it would be using a gas you ignite

These are fairly common in the potato gun / spudgun communities, often called a "hybrid" system, because they rely on a slightly compressed flammable gas, such as MAPP/Atmosphere or Propane/Atmosphere mix, compressed behind a burst disk to 2-10 PSI. I've heard of people achieving supersonic velocities with projectiles like soda cans full of concrete.

Neat. Never knew that was a thing at the hobbyist level.

yes and that gas is still a chemical explosive you idiot. potato cannons are destructive devices but the ATF often does not enforce against them. If you use them to launch explosive mortar payloads they will most certainly enforce it.

Aren't non-cartridge weapons not subject to the NFA? Muskets and other muzzlelaoders, including cap and ball revolvers aren't considered firearms for the purposes of the NFA, right?

Me and a buddy made on of these. It would launch golf balls into fucking orbit. Compressed oxygen and butane. Fired remotely on a tripod because it was basically a bomb with extra steps.
No

It depends on the ignition system. "antique firearms" are exempt from the NFA, but what constitutes an antique is based on either the year of design of the weapon (pre-1898) if it uses cartridges, or the ignition system if it does not.

>yes and that gas is still a chemical explosive you idiot. potato cannons are destructive devices but the ATF often does not enforce against them. If you use them to launch explosive mortar payloads they will most certainly enforce it.

God, is fucking everything I want in life illegal?

Potato canons are muzzleloaders, idiot.

Explain away electric ignition muzzleloaders

What else did you shoot from it?

Any fails?

Legality = pneumatic gun
Spud gun laws might be similar.
Usefulness? Low. LGG work best when there is a vaccuum in front of the projectile, or at minimum a light gas.