Is it common for people to be a natural at shooting? Is anyone else here a natural?

Is it common for people to be a natural at shooting? Is anyone else here a natural?

I went to the firing range with a buddy who's in the army to shoot a gun for the first time ever. I used my buddy's AR-15 with a Chinese knockoff acog scope and bi-pod. I was able to hit 6 inch diameter targets 100 yards out without missing and he couldn't hit a single one.

Attached: shooting range.jpg (225x225, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

shooterscalculator.com/ballistic-trajectory-chart.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You have a better understanding of basic geometry than him. Whoop whoop.

first time shooters almost always do well because they have no bad habits to break. shooting with an optic is literally
>put dot on the thing
>pull the trigger without moving the dot
it's the without-moving-the-dot part that's hard for some people. your army buddy was probably slapping and jerking the whole time because he's shot a lot of guns and built up bad habits

Shooting with an optic is piss easy at 100 as long as it's zero works for you and your sight picture.
6 inches at 100yds isn't hard. I don't say this to demean but step it out some and shoot paper so you can document groupings. See how you do.
You can take an nogunz from never shooting a rifle to hitting a target 100yds away within an hour easily if they listen and it's sighted.
You're fortunate though that you don't have any bad major habits from the start like jerking the trigger or fucked up breathing. So it should be easy enough for you to get fundamentals down. Go get a gun and find out how good you can be. Plenty of people in the mil can't shoot for shit

I had no natural talent at all.
40 thousand rounds and a few guns later, I'm better than most.

Never shot before having enlisted. What I found out it that
>I can hit targets at 25
>I can hit targets at 50
>I can NOT hit targets at 75
>I can hit targets at 100-300

What the fuck is wrong with me?

My wife is like that. Within her first 4 range trips she could hit an 8" plate with pistols at 100yrds.

I'm no expert and I suck with pistols. That's impressive to me

Same
>cant hit 100m
>can hit 200-300-400-500-600
Why god.

Read trajectory charts and correct for rise at 75. That might help.

All you need is a quick 2 minute montage to become a crack shot

Not an uncommon problem
75m is just about the only one you can’t just hold center mass on and hit. The targets get taller at 100m and are more forgiving with range and elevation error.
You have to just rest the the fast Freddy on the front sight post
-t. 40/40 expert errry tiem in 8 years

roger sarnt

>rise

Attached: 766757.jpg (463x347, 28K)

Idk if if I have any natural talent or not. Everytime I've gone shooting with people they all tell my I'm a great shot, and I surprised myself the first time I shot skeet, had never handled a shotgun before but got 18/20 clay targets. This all sounds great, but I've been shooting, starting with a daisy air rifle- since I was 3 years old under my dad's supervision. Maybe it's just early acclimation to the body mechanics of shooting.

I think it's a fear/anxiety thing, the noob doesn't want to fuck up, and hyper-concentrates on the shots. Whereas once you get more relaxed around guns and shooting them, you don't think too hard about it.

Took my gf shooting for the first time and she outshot my mediocre ass. I asked her how the recoil felt (it was just 9mm) and she said she was expecting it to be worse than it actually was.

Yeah and half the issue of recoil is the concussion from firing. Once you get used to the sound of the blast, the actual force imparted on your hand is quite manageable.

Yeah considering you have to shoot popup targets out to 300 meters in the army I don't buy that he couldn't hit at 100

Yeah I was very impressed and I 'd like to credit my skills as an instructor, but the truth is that she just has natural talent and is a quick learner. I would only need to correct her once and she would immediately grasp whatever it was I corrected her on.

I've been shooting since I was 12 (30 now), and I can't shoot shotguns for shit. Granted I mostly shoot pistols, but still, I'm more like 4/10 when it comes to clays. I suck. Hand me a wheelgun tho...

I intentionally shoot at indoor ranges when they're busy occasionally to remind myself what getting pummeled by the muzzle blast from large calibers is like.

>military 300m zero
>no rise at 75m
ummmmmm
r u pretending to be retarded?

He's making fun of your use of the word rise to describe the trajectory since bullets are technically falling as soon as they exit the barrel.

I'm just going to put this here for the people who don't understand why they are shooting over the head of people at 75m

Attached: battle-sight-zero.jpg (725x426, 27K)

>Shooting 6 MOA with magnifying optics at 100yards from a rested position.
>Natural.

HAHAHAHAHA.

Are you fucking retarded?

>He's making fun of your use of the word rise to describe the trajectory since bullets are technically falling as soon as they exit the barrel.

Not him, but:
Since the barrel is slightly pointed up with relation to the sights, so the bullet will go higher than the barrel ever was. Which is rising.
Don't quit school, kiddo.

Attached: 1324932116626.jpg (554x403, 21K)

I'm explaining a running joke to you.
It's also got merit to it because there are people who legitimately think bullets rise up a bit upon exiting the barrel to explain why you aim low under 100m to hit the target.
Eg bottom of the T to hit inside

Oops not to you but to him.

Probably because many shotguns sold today pattern a bit above the bead instead of right on it.

>I'm explaining a running joke to you.

Except you explained it wrong? It's never "technically falling", because it's rising at first in the vast majority of sight setups. It's merely diverging away from the centerline of bore.
As illustrated by

are you all shooting offhand as you take shots at 100yrds? I'm a fairly inexperienced shooter, and while I can get decent groups at 100 standing, it takes a retarded amount of focus and a sling support. Any pointers on how to improve offhand shooting?

Attached: 1458758887953.jpg (540x720, 75K)

Practice

I had a boomer tell me 300WM and 7MM Mag don’t perform optimally until beyond 200 yards because they are still getting up to full speed

How new are you

Did they make a new 300WM gyro rocket?

I do offhand at 100 and it is not easy to get good groups after awhile but that's why I do it.
Slings help immensely
Op mentioned bipod n shit so I doubt he was doing that

That’s easy. I take soda cans out to the local gravel pit, set them up about 100 yards out, and see how fast I can get them to move with consecutive shots from my AR using only iron sights.

its more of a thing that some people are just bad at shooting then it is to be "naturally good" at shooting its mostly about practice and training. Try sporting clays and report back when you shoot +95% accuracy in a 100 shot set on your first try.

They are technically accelerating toward earth at 9.81 m/(s^2) upon exiting the barrel. If you are zeroed at long ranges the bullet IS rising (unless shooting downhill) relative to the earth and is ALWAYS rising relative to the plane along which you are aiming (assuming your aiming from above the barrel).

Attached: Screenshot_20190831-164943_Message+.jpg (1440x2960, 1.74M)

At less than 150-200 meters it is pretty easy to shoot well with a rifle, especially if you use a scope that has a good zero. Though that being said I was always a “good” shot, not exactly John Wick tier but certainly better than most. For many it is simply a matter of proper discipline and knowledge, and new shooters don’t have as many bad habits to break as more experienced ones. That being said some people just learn certain things better than others, and shooting a stationary target with a rifle and a scope is an entirely different scenario than shooting clays or running drills.
75m is a weird spot, just need to adjust better.

Dude it's a joke...

Jesus christ. Can't hit it with a scope and a bipod at 100 yards? What the hell do they teach them in the army?

jesus christ, it's like no one on this board has heard the word "ballistic" somehow

Damn. I doubt I could do that at 50

I did the same my first time shooting at 100 yards with a rifle, it means nothing. All you did was pull the trigger and timed your breathing right.
I'm shit with a pistol also

for those, probably not. but ballisticians also agree for long, heavy, large projectiles it is possible to be more unstable at close range than longer range.

I like this dog

It's hard to be a natural shooter when there isn't a consensus on how the front sight post sits in the rear sight post when looking through the sights.

>scope and bi-pod. I was able to hit 6 inch diameter targets 100 yards out without missing
You're not a "natural", that's normal.
>and he couldn't hit a single one.
Your buddy is retarded.

I'm from the UK. never shot a gun in my life til I went to a range in the US last year.
was already quite into guns, knew a fair bit, avid watcher of channels like hickok45, luckygunnerammo, legallyarmedamerica and more.
watched a ton of stuff on gun safety, info for new shooters, how to shoot and so on.

told the guys I wanted to shoot a 1911 and some other specific things. they were confused as to how I knew about them - "videogames"

so after the short class, I go with the guy to a lane. load up. assume stance. take aim. breathe out. pause. pulled the trigger. BANG.

damn near perfect bullseye headshot. dude was impressed.

the explosion surprised me but I didn't flinch. turned out it was a .45. I thought it was going to be a 9mm.
dude was also impressed at the fact I never moved, didn't turn around, didn't freak out and didn't drop the gun.

apparently I'm a natural. idk. was a lot of fun though. also went through 4 boxes of slugs with a shotgun and 3 full mags in a CZ skorpion on full auto and burst.

I can see how people get addicted to that shit.
god bless america.

it's your sights/zeroing. common problem.

make sure you have some 80s power ballad playing

Punch in your rifles data into this calculator. Make sure you accurately input your height over bore.
shooterscalculator.com/ballistic-trajectory-chart.php

You’re shooting over the target because the bullet is rising.

Wrong. Height over bore is setting your bullets trajectory on a rising path.

Attached: 382AC8C8-44F2-4316-B577-93CA4F95425A.jpg (1280x720, 62K)