I wish that I lived in toronto

I wish that I lived in toronto

Attached: e85JkWpQX-z-pISD7LkrmCZyFq9gZXHJ2IBJZabV5_w.png (725x295, 5K)

Don't, it's complete shit and full of degenerates

I live just outside of toronto and work on the new streetcars

Why? It's really expensive to live here and there isn't really that much to do compared to other major cities.

As someone who lives in Toronto,
Why?

TTC ain't shit bruh

Bloor-Yonge station at rush hour is a nightmare

moving away from home, easier to find work, more exciting idk

why do you live there?

I wish the smaller shithole cities/towns had public transit because insurance/drivers licenses is total bullshit when i can't even have one beer and have to pay to drive on the roads i pay to fix then be told it's a privilege by some fat fuckhead ""cop"" who's wage i also pay.

Don't come here. This place is a shithole. All the memes they told you about are fucking lies. North York is full of fucking asians, and anywhere below Toronto is full of paki's. Just don't dude.

>easier to find work
What's your major? If you don't have one, good luck getting a job that pays enough to live in Toronto.

I have a degree

Yeah, but what's your major? Plenty of degrees aren't worth shit for finding work.

Not OP, but is it worth it if I have a comp sci degree and 3 years of experience in web dev? From N Ont, living in London atm. Thinking about it for the $$$

I can do software dev stuff

Where do you live now that makes you want to move to Torontistan?

Toronto is shit. If you want to live in a major Canadian city move to Vancouver.

>Awesome weather
>Commonly rated as one of the most beautiful cities in the world
>Lots of hot asian women if you're into that
>Easy access to drugs
>Really safe aside from one or two neighbourhoods
>Despite the reputation of being an expensive city there is very affordable rent in the outskirts
>Some of the best Canadian schools in the country
>Tons of shit to do especially if you're outdoorsy

It's probably worth it in the sense that since Toronto is a bigger economy than London your chances of moving up in the world are greater. Companies are always hiring comp sci majors, although I'm not too sure about web dev specifically (and frontend work is slowly drying up I hear because of newer tools being created for it).

If you've ever traveled internationally you'll realize that Toronto is shit - genuine, steaming, shit - compared to real world cities like London, England or New York, but it's the biggest fish in the pond that is Eastern Canada.

meant for I have software dev experience

>If you've ever traveled internationally you'll realize that Toronto is shit - genuine, steaming, shit - compared to real world cities like London, England or New York, but it's the biggest fish in the pond that is Eastern Canada.

id prefer to stay in canada

See Apply for jobs in Toronto, and if you get one that pays above, say, 55k a year starting you should be fine. It ain't grand, but it's probably better than where you currently are.

Thanks user. Either moving there or Ottawa in 2019.

The problem with staying in Canada is that the salary is pretty shit compared to comparable jobs in the States. The prestige is also lacking since we have few major companies. If you're ambitious you're going to have to aim for something international. Also, Ontario is going to hell in a handbasket, so it's probably a good idea to flee sooner rather than later.

It's VERY expensive to live here.
The taxes are high.
Houses start at 650k for a one bedroom in the ghetto.
Insurance rates are high. (200-400 a month until you're 25)
Gas is expensive.
Low wages.
It's cold 7 months of the year.
Most people can barely speak English.
Everyone is angry all the time and I can't blame them.

Attached: 14146159490760.png (103x72, 2K)

>>Easy access to drugs
kys degenerate

Fuck off ya narc

Ottawa is good if you get a public service job. It's comfortable. Downside is that the "city" is puny, so if you're looking for fun you're not going to find much. Then again Toronto cultural life is terrible, so you probably won't be missing much.

Nah desu, my gf and I just want enough space for a dog and otherwise neither of us gives 2 fucks about night life. Rather go canoeing or hiking.

Ottawa is absolute garbage unless you lucked out with a really good government job. I've been living here for far too fucking long.

Spoken like a true Canadian. Enjoy the rest of your life, assuming this place doesn't go to hell in the next twenty-five years (which it will). But that's what the cottage in the wood is for, isn't it?

The US is just as shit unless you have the skills/education to enter a high paying field. At least we have free health care. I've gone on tons of road trips through the US and outside major cities it looks like a fucking third world country half the time.

I'm from northern ontario, ottawa feels like home in that respect. At least there's tech jobs - I'm in southern ontario right now and it's fucking weird. People are so different.

Thanks user. I love our country and the amount of outdoors we have to enjoy. I'm slowly finding my way to my cabin in the woods ;)

The guys in the thread have compsci degrees, so if they're smart and capable Silicon Valley isn't necessarily a pipe dream if they have high GPAs and are from the right universities.

Yeah I doubt they have 4.0+ gpas and come from Ivy league schools which is what most major companies in Silicone Valley look for.

>so if they're smart and capable Silicon Valley isn't necessarily a pipe dream if they have high GPAs and are from the right universities.

I don't think I am stupid but I am definitely not silicone valley material

also i'm not sure if i want to live in san francisco

I guess if you come from a bumfuck no where town Ottawa is a step up. I hate rural living and Ottawa is no where near lively enough for me.

Correct, I have a shit GPA and a degree from a low tier university. Nobody asks my GPA though because I have 3 years of experience.

Not necessarily 4.0s, not necessarily Ivy League. 3.5+ at the University of Toronto or Waterloo, especially when combined with good internships, will get you into Silicon Valley, Seattle, or New York. I've seen many of my friends do this firsthand.

Go to glassdoor.ca or indeed.ca and look up compsci jobs in Toronto (if the filters don't work just see what's most recent and scroll through). You'll probably find several that fit your skillset.

>tfw living in Montreal, but my French language skills are shit-tier and I'm thinking of moving to Southern Ontario

Is it really that bad there? I absolutely hate urban sprawl, but other than that it seems like a nice place to live.

Toronto is mediocrity incarnated in glass and steel. Everything is rubbish compared to real "world cities". The diversity doesn't make it very endearing either.

Maybe in entry level positions but competition in silicone is fucking intense. I have friends that moved there as well being top of their class. Not shitting on comp sci majoras if you manage to get your degree you likely have good prospects regardless but silicone is cream of the crop. I would have majored in it as well if I didn't hate math and didn't have such a shit work ethic.

I guess I just happened to have smart friends. Too bad that didn't rub off on me though.

It's kind of American down here, and people think we live in igloos up North.

Why would you ever live in Quebec if you don't know French fluently. Quebecois are fucking terrible towards people who don't speak the language otherwise. I've never not visited Montreal and not experienced a negative experience with those fucking cunts.

The Quebecois are actually pretty nice and understanding about it, at least the ones in Montreal. They dislike Anglophones who grew up here and aren't fluent in French, but since I'm originally from an English-speaking province and moved here as an adult they have sympathy and understand that my French is shitty.

The ones from outside the city rage if they meet someone who lives here and doesn't speak French, though.

can you give some advice about moving to montreal if your french is shit/non-existent?

As a person who lives in Edmonton and lived in Toronto for my first few months in Canada:

I agree

When I was a teenager, this was my dream also. (I live in KW). But then I realized what a fucking shithole toronto is and I'm much happier building a life in KW. Imagine commuting in Toronto. Imagine being surrounded by hordes of 3rd worlders? Its a dystopian nightmare that is festering into the nearby cities like my own.

>Imagine commuting in Toronto. Imagine being surrounded by hordes of 3rd worlders?
Or... Just get your own car.

Edmonton at least has an amazing mall. There's a fuck ton of worse places you could live in Canada than Edmonton. Imo it's better than Toronto.

If you have good education or work experience, you can find a job that won't require French. A lot of the big, corporate companies operate in English.
There's also an English-speaking community in the Western portion of the island, and you might be able to find jobs there that don't require French.

Another option is to come here as a student. Montreal is almost like Canada's Boston in terms of how it caters to students and has a healthy appreciation for them (I remember reading once that 1/5th of Montrealers are students). Doing an undergraduate or master's degree should give you time to learn a bit of French, too.

>Edmonton
>better than Toronto
Why do you think that? Seriously.

West Edmonton Mall doesn't have shit, I'm sure Toronto has better malls

They don't even have uniqlo here.

Also I'm Korean so I'm missing out on all the fun in Toronto

Grass is greener user. If you want a fantastic Korean community come to Vancouver as a fellow Korean. I lived in Toronto for years and it is expensive, full of mean spirited people, poor job opportunities/entertainment compared to other large cities etc.

The only thing I hate more than Toronto itself is the people who live there

toronto:
>shitty traffic
>everything costs money
>need to drive hours to do any real outdoor shit
>art hoe torontofags everywhere

art hoe torontofags
>constantly post on insta about how great/artsy toronto is
>"muh six"
>did you know I'm from toronto?
>in toronto...

the only people I would consider slightly worse than those are dudes from brampton, but just because they think they are actually from toronto

also, fuck the 401

401 is the most cancerous road in the fucking country, i have to drive it from london to the 407 north to get home for the holidays and it always makes me lose my mind.

Current Torontofag here. From London, Ontario originally.

My gameplan was to move to Vancouver because my sister and her husband live in Richmond. However my brother and his wife are expecting a kid and I'm about to be an aunt to a little girl. They live in Toronto.

I was fucking going to escape. I was going to be free of this rat infested city forever and do graduate school in BC. Now I'm trapped. I want to be with my niece. I hate this. I hate your post in particular because I know it's true, you fucking faggot.

Attached: IMG_1269.png (731x611, 876K)

I live in rural Idaho now, and a friend drove up from salt lake. There was a major accident on the I15, and he was bitching about how it delayed him an hour, and everybody around was shocked that he was stuck in traffic that long

>mfw

Attached: 6god.jpg (607x436, 67K)

It would be worth it for the reduced cost of living alone. The quality of life will be significantly improved, and your personal freedom too, which should make anyone else pretty sad to consider.

bud why do you have to stay in toronto if its your brother who's having the kid?

there's so many asians and indians are.. I wish I was joking but they make up 80% of the population here easily

Please come back to London.

Vancouver has depressing weather though.

>poor job opportunities
The reason we moved to Edmonton is because my dad couldn't find a job in Toronto while for Edmonton it was just a skype interview and he got the job. This was in 2008 so the Albertan economy was really good

This nigga gets it.

>taxes are high
Yep.
>housing
I'm paying 750 for a room with no kitchen (landlord is super kosher), plenty of rats, and one bathroom.
>cold
This. I like bird watching and there's fuck all.
>low wages
I'm a student so all wages are low but I'll take your word for it.
>angry
Jesus, yes. I always speak super nicely to people. I'm actually horrified how abrupt and sharp everyone sounds. I literally was ordering a burger today and all I could hear was people abruptly going, "yeah, no, NO, pickles, *thanks*". I hear people out East are nice. Thinking about Dalhousie for graduate school, too.

>cottage in the woods
I'm studying geology and all I want to do is work in shitty fly-in towns.

>so different
Explain.
T. Southernfag looking to move North.

>toronto
Ayyyy
>3.5
I'm ....I-I'm making 3.0... I'm working hard...

I tried to learn French and while I can read and write well, I have some hearing problems and so that makes picking uo the subtlies of French hard. I'm so nervous speaking French. My friends say my voice goes up a full octave. I went up to a guy in Quebec and tried to ask for directions and he put his hand on my lips and said, "Please don't." Felt like weeping.

>tfw French boys all are longhaired lanklets
>bueno.jpg
>tfw none of them would consider a frumpy anglo

>nice
I think city folk in general are kind of mean. I spent a bit of time in rural Quebec and hung around lots of French kids for academic competitions and they were all nice. There's a cultural difference, though. I get nervous and cover my lips a lot, but only French people ask if I'm miming a request for a smoke, lol.

It's your life user do what will make you happiest. Don't let others hold you back even if they are family. All the more reason for your niece to visit you and your sister if you both live in Vancouver.

That's just not true. It may seem that way but numbers do not lie.

Are you a faggot or a lady?

I heard that in Toronto you need to have Freedom Mobile to use your phone on the TTC subways. Wow that's really sad.

I lived there for 6 weeks on work
Glad I live anywhere other than Canada for now

>At least we have free health care.
So? Unless you're NEET you get good health care in the US as well.

Because I want to be near my family.

No. It definitely smells nicer than Toronto and has lots of trees, but it's full of junkies and it's trash. I've been mugged in London more times than TO.

>holding me back
Eh, you're sort of right. I often do thinhs with the hopes I'll be with family and friends - and then they ditch me.

Last summer I came back to London because I got a lab job at Western and all my high school buddies were there. Except they all had gfs at this point and hazed the shit out of me till I cried while I was helping them move the second day back.

My brother is one of my best friends, so I know he'd never pull that sort of shit. I guess there's a possibility my hopes of getting to be a ~*~cool aunt~*~ may be foiled since he likes his wife's family more than ours.

I was also thinking Dalhousie since the courses look great, I was thinking if fisheries research, and I hear the people are really nice.

Thank you for the encouragement, user!!

Honestly? Kind of both. I mean I have a vagina but I am also a huge whiny wuss.

Yeah, I see people using their phones on the subway and I'm mystified. Why would the network be different?

And whether or not you're a neet, if you need non-trivial care, you're hopping the border anyway.

>I've been mugged in London more times than TO.
You have been mugged in London and Toronto? Multiple times in each city?

why don't you be my gf and let me solve your problems then. Student in dt toronto here

My dad has a master's degree in IT networking from a state university in the US.

In Canada, he couldn't find any good jobs other than short term contract ones that he's overqualified for. For example he installed wifi in hospitals. Even though he's on contract he always got fired early. Spent a lot of time being NEET

In the US, he has a permanent $100k+ job with AT&T and he's been working there for well over a year now.

Is it just because his degree was from the US? I don't think so, he has 5 years experience working at Samsung Electronics in Korea

So I'm thinking now, unless you have a public sector job in Canada, it's probably better to move to the US. There are literally no jobs in Canada

>Why would the network be different?
Freedom Mobile has a shitty network. Slow speeds and weak signal

It's hard to explain. People are more "corporate" around here, less friendly, and more americanized. There's no french either, I come from a mixed community and it's a different vibe. Less wholesome. I miss the rocks and the trees so much as well, it's all farmland here.

Assuming you're a woman (female), I'd give it a try. I've been in Montreal most my life. I'm French but shorthaired and not a lanklet. At least one of these properties are liable to change though.
Got some contact info?

I'm so sick of living in Canada.

I can't even order shit from overseas because the CBSA customs take fucking 2 or 3 months.

Yep. Mugged once in TO. Mugged thrice in London.

No.
>student living in Toronto
>having the resources to solve anyone's problems
And if you did have the resources:
>wanting to be friends with pricks that wave around Daddy's mummy
I saw some rich kid's car get dinged on St. George the other day and I creamed my jeans.
>wanting to be the sort of person who lets others solve their problems
See previous implication.
>implying having a bf would solve my problems
Think you get the idea.

Wouldn't that make it LESS likely to work on Subways?

Nah, I think I get what you're saying. I feel like the only Canadian that LIKES Americans. My brother lived in Bongland for years. I actually considered moving there because I was obsessed with British history and folk music as a kid. I visited him and British people were just so mean and grumpy.

Americans are loud and bouncy and fat and hyper. They're like a nation of Chads-at-heart, or golden retrievers. I like that. Everyone smiles in America.

>No.
>>student living in Toronto
>>having the resources to solve anyone's problems
>And if you did have the resources:
>>wanting to be friends with pricks that wave around Daddy's mummy
>I saw some rich kid's car get dinged on St. George the other day and I creamed my jeans.
>>wanting to be the sort of person who lets others solve their problems
>See previous implication.
>>implying having a bf would solve my problems
>Think you get the idea.
y-you could've just said no, user. you didn't have to be so mean...

>Wouldn't that make it LESS likely to work on Subways?
I told you, Freedom Mobile is the only network that has underground TTC coverage. They have an exclusive deal

I'm living in London, Ont right now as well as I got a decent contract software job at the university. Do you think I should stick it out here or move to Ottawa? It's not bad here, but everyone is a little pussy when it snows, and people think I'm a hick.

There are jobs but Canada is one of the most over-educated countries in the world which means a fuck ton of competition. It's pretty fucked and unless our government subsidizes post secondary education it's only going to get worse.

>unless our government subsidizes post secondary education
They do though. We pay several times less what Americans pay at their own public universities.

>one of the most over-educated countries
that's a meme though since useless degrees also go in there. STEM wise Canada is at a good place in the middle

I also went to western for cs, lived in toronto a while. Not worth it.

You're gonna stop being French? What are you, Alsace-Lorraine? Spoiler: Won't work.

>give it a fry
Like moving to Vancouver?

>contact
I met some people on Jow Forums before and it ended bad.

Sorry, missed the post.
>exclusive deal
How is that not a monopoly and illegal?

Ottawa better / worse?

>How is that not a monopoly and illegal?
Other carriers don't want to join that network for various reasons. It's actually not exclusive

CM? its KW

The US is definitely more fucked when it comes to tuition but that doesn't solve the issue we have.

Only a small demographic of Canada are stem graduates and if that number increased they would be just as fucked. Basing job prospects on a specific number of majors doesn't make the situation better either.

Hearing some of your stories, it makes me feel better about living in Edmonton. It's actually not too bad here

I dunno, never lived there

As someone who has lived in Ottawa for 11 years do not move here.

Yeah, I'm totally open to moving.
I'm nobody dangerous and we can share relevant information before meeting in person if you're concerned. You can try emailing me at [email protected] if interested.

I know nothing about software, so I don't have good advice. Maybe weigh in other factors, like housing?

>hick
Make them squeal like pigs?

>over educated
This. I did an industry panel with people in my field and they all at least had a masters. The one who didn't graduated in the 80s.

Ohhhhh. Thanks, user.

!!!!!!! No hairy prolapse posting, it's ILLEGAL.

Not the guy you responded to, but can you tell me what Ottawa is like?
Every time someone on Jow Forums mentions it they go "REEE SOMALIS", so if you could tell me about it without complaining about Somalians it would be appreciated.

UWO fucking sucks leave asap

I might user, I get no vacation days or health benefits + average salary. Can you tell me why you think it sucks?