What is your favorite ff game?

What is your favorite ff game?

Attached: 22056-final-fantasy-tactics-playstation-front-cover.jpg (800x812, 128K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bF4T9TSwxAo
gamelengths.com/games/playtimes/Final Fantasy XIII/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm currently up to X, and I liked VIII the best so far. Maybe the others are better, but I heard the newer games suck.

I'm a pleb who's never played any of them except for the first one (about to fight the wind faggot soon). Should I play these games in release order, or skip some? I recently downloaded just about all of them

>brainlets have one favourite

>gameplay
VII, X-2, XII

>story
VII, X, XII, XV

>nostalgia
VII

>feels
Crisis Core, XIII

Anyone who says 9 needs to fucking die.

IX was a bad Final Fantasy. It had absolutely terrible equipment, skill, and ability systems that allowed no room for players to shape their characters in any way. The trance system going off outside of your control was even worse designed than VIII's limit spamming. The combat was slow and boring and the only interesting mechanic AT ALL was the dynamic between Steiner and Vivi, and it didn't really add anything to the game at all. It had a terribly boring setting that's only praised by "classic fans" because it didn't emphasize sci-fi, completely disregarding that Final Fantasy has used sci-fi elements from the start of the series. Your cast consisted of characters like Freya who were completely forgotten by the plot after their usefulness to the story was up, characters like Quina who basically just showed up whenever the game felt you needed a 4th party member and didn't do ANYTHING of any relevance, and characters like Amarant who I'm still trying to figure out why he was added to the game. The protagonist and antagonist being "space alien grim reaper brothers" is by far the worst plot twist in the series, much worse than either the orphanage in VIII or "You're a dream Teedus" could ever hope to be.

The worst part of all? In a series that's known for its innovation in its genre, Final Fantasy IX bitched out and actively BACKTRACKED to boring, outdated, mechanics. At least the early games it was a callback to were innovations of their time like the ATB system in IV, and at least for the PSX titles VII, VIII, and Tactics all tried to do new things with turn-based RPGs, storytelling, and world building even if it didn't please everyone- whereas IX actively decided to say fuck that, and appeal to idiots who want video games to stagnate.

It was boring and had nothing unique going for it. In fact, nothing about the game is particularly memorable. It has no sense of identity for itself and just takes after previous titles.

Ffs IX, but I like tactics advance 2, grimoire of the rift.

Kingdom Hearts, fuck Final Fantasy.

>but I heard the newer games suck.

They do. The production values are through the roof but those games don't have any soul.

Same spin-off series, but different game

>tfw you will never wake up in the world of Ivalice

Attached: final-fantasy-tactics-advance-cover935261.jpg (640x641, 109K)

Doesnt matter what order you play them in, every numbered title has a different world

only played I, IV and II in that order. I was great, IV was even better and II was hot garbage

yeah i've gathered that much, I was just wondering if some of them aren't worth playing

XV would have had plenty of soul if nomuras team back when it was versus werent a bunch of bitches that couldnt handle the work load

You know thats the actual reason the project died? The team working for him were a bunch of pussies that couldnt be bothered to do the job

Oh, well then id say only 2 isnt worth it, charactet progression is fucking horrendous, you level each characters stats and weapon proficiencies, magic skills individual, to raise your hp and mp you need to take damage and use spells, to raise evasion you need to evade, and each weapon type has its own skill level, its a huge mess that barely anyone bothers with

The story isnt so bad though

should have been XV but they ruined it; FFXIV: Heavensward (inb4 isn't that an MMO), referring specifically to the story of Heavensward, it was amazing; next up would be Type-0 and II

I'm still eternally pissed about XV.

>XV
>story
Dude......

>feels: XIII
Agreed, XIII-2 was also a whole bunch of feel fuckery

Attached: FFType0-Machina.png (1000x1119, 560K)

Then 7 and 8 are tied (7 is better but 8 has nostalgia value)

Chronic Cross is way better than them all though.

Kingdom hearts is literally the gayest shit I have ever seen. I dont know how any self respecting male could like that shit, unless you were like 10 when you played it and are like nostalgic for it. Take all the worst aspects of Final Fantasy and throw in disney characters. Im not sure how you could get any gayer. Might as well watch MLP unironically if you like KH.

Maybe it's just me and I didn't play properly (I probably didn't), but I found VI's gameplay frustrating. Too many characters to keep up with and lots of grinding.

You just posted it my robro

Quality taste. Shame Square Enix killed not only FFT but FF as a whole. Shit started to get bad around 10, then 13 was a total trainwreck that destroyed my faith in any future Final Fantasy titles.

>Kingdom Hearts
>literally Disney AND Sqeenix Cameos combined
Dude,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The storys been patched up since release and is only going to get more bandaids with next years dlc

Have you even bothered catching on and paying attention to the story? Watched brotherhood/kingsglaive?

Is it bad that I actually enjoyed playing the GBA remake of 2? Because something about having the party members attack each other for stat gains was oddly hilarious and satisfying to me. I guess I like gamebreaking stuff like that.

If you think XIII was a trainwreck, wait until you play XV, XV so bad they are still adding to it.
XIII was only bad when they released LR aka fanservice the video game.

I honestly just miss turnbased the way they used to do it, it was so fucking fun.

Attached: XIII_Siren_concept_art - Copy.jpg (1387x944, 481K)

If you need a bunch of DLCs years after the game was released along with an anime series to make the story salvageable, you're doing something wrong.

how come FF hasn't made a monster raising spinoff like DQ did in pic realted? are their monsters just not as iconic?

Attached: gdfgdf.jpg (224x225, 14K)

none, shit taste in vidya you got desu

I enjoy Kingdom Hearts, but I admit its pretty much nostalgia because I played the first one when I was 6 or something. But had I not played them I would've never played any other Final Fantasy games. I still enjoy Kingdom Hearts but the story is nonsensical garbage, and a lot of the Disney worlds are shit

>yfw you realise theres more story in 1.0 xv than there was in 1,3,5,7,9

>did you watch an anime series and a movie for an unfinished game
They're still fixing up chapter 13 aka endless hallway chapter. I don't see why this game has been in development for years and they can't even put a fucking bestiary in it until a year later.

Fishing and photos > bestiary. That is not what final fantasy games are about and the variety in monsters was sorely lacking. I wouldn't mind DLCs and extras in the future, but the game they released wasn't worth 60$, and they could have made it decent.

Attached: Screenshot (3504).png (1439x727, 1.54M)

>comparing games released before 2005 to a game released in a near pinnacle in processing power aka 2017
>thinking movie + anime bloatware and an unfinished wasteland is "quality" story worth caring about
Not even trying.

That game is top tier autism OP.

>cannot believe cloud randomly shows fuckingup

Three/six and FF seven are obviously the best, and calling tactics a FF game is like caling Battle Network or Legends a Megaman game.

>a fucking disney game
>fuck FF when FF characters are in Kingdom Hearts
Moronic.

Anybody play FFXIV? I took a year haitus for work, but I'll be getting started on my Red Mage by May. Pretty excited, you guys are actually making me want to expedite my new monitor so I can play FFXIV by next week or so I'd do it if someone else here was willing to play with me

Attached: ffxiv_pcw15002_1920x1080.jpg (1920x1080, 913K)

I think they did recently, it's called World of Final Fantasy. Though I'm just guessing based on screenshots, I know nothing about this game because I stopped following FF because they all suck dicks now.

Attached: 81N+LHNLEmL._AC_SL1500_[1].jpg (1500x847, 184K)

If you CANNOT follow directions we may as well mention Dragoon next.

I liked VI, and I like JRPGs that have large casts of characters in general.

I just finished it, other than the occasional butthurt inducing defeat it was a fun experience because of the complex job system, and the battles forced you to really use your head. I just hate how they give you Cloud at the end of the game at level 1.

Attached: Mustadio.jpg (801x1600, 478K)

Youre overly salty about it being unfinished on release

You realise it was in development for what 3 years? Kingsglaive and brotherhood were separate projects from the game but tie in still, so neither of them took away from game dev time, and square had set a hard release date for the end of 2016, otherwise it wouldve been completely scrapped and never released?

Thats not to mention a few months in they were forced to start over because some guy made a brand new in house engine that theyre still learning to use

Inb4 versus, apart from 4 main characters base designs, rough designs of insomnia and barely any of altissia as well as the shut armiger idea, nothing is the same, at all

first ive heard about it thanks
sorry ive never been too into ff but wanted to join the conversation..

Well he's technically a "hidden" character, you gotta do specific stuff to unlock him.
The key to getting the most out of FFT is to get right before the final battle then make a spare save so you can just mess around with leveling units, learning abilities and mastering jobs at your leisure.
Or you can just start over and use different classes and abilities, FFT is a very versatile game.

Okay compare it something recent, horizon

What flesh does horizon zd have? All side content = oof help tribe niggers attack this thing, wowee help me find someone, and then its go through about 3 guided, purely exploration dungeons

Game end

Fuck Versus, the problem is A) unfinished game and B) the story and world is incredibly shitty, you need to wait an entire year to get to know the characters. They should have focused more on making a quality story even if unfinished rather than fancy ass garbage, selfies, cooking shows, fishing fucking fishing

you can't even PRESS X TO TALK to NPCs
what kind of JRPG does not allow you to interact with NPCs? Tell me.

They didn't have a bestiary on release, hunting and fighting in general was extremely boring, the game does not push you to collect all the 15 or so special weapons and you could finish the game without it. The game is so fucking easy all you had to do was warp, recharge and go back into the fight while your allies were basically tanks.

Now that you mention it, the game was far worse than it's story. Graphics < Story, that's how it will always be. This game was catered to new players moreso than veterans and now they're selling the game brand new AGAIN.

Why would you compare it to horizon when we're talking about the typical FF game? At least compare it to another JRPG.

Re read what i said mongoloid

I'm glad FFXIV exists; it's always great to get some good music on a monthly basis.
>guide us o mighty fury
>guide us to victory

Attached: ffxiv_pcw19002_1920x1080_en.jpg (1920x1080, 1.09M)

Yes, I play ff14 on leviathan server.

I miss turn based combat too, it's nice to have a game where you're not frantically mashing the X button to attack constantly.
You know, a nice game where you can relax under a blanket and just play at your leisure, then you get rewarded with story bits.
Modern JRPGs aren't comfy like classic JRPGs.

Apart from persona which i didnt play i dont know any other recent ps4/xboner jrpgs, so the only other thing i could think of was a supposedly story driven bestseller

>The key to getting the most out of FFT is to get right before the final battle then make a spare save so you can just mess around with leveling units

Yeah I made a few extra saves, but I already did a ton of random encounters just to develop my team and experiment, so much that the last 3 bosses never touched me.

7=9>10>6>8>4>2=12>1=5

9 had best character and development.

3?

What's your timezone? Don't want to not be in sync with ya

Attached: ffxiv_pcw19001_1920x1080_en.jpg (1920x1080, 1.42M)

disregard, I misinterpreted your post.

Attached: Shiva.(Final.Fantasy).full.1627863.jpg (1015x1229, 260K)

I'm on PST but sometimes I'm on late at night

Oh you're only 1 hour ahead of me nice. How is Stormblood so far? I actually bought SB 6 months ago but unexpected circumstances prevented me from playing it.

Only counting ones I played to the end:
7 > 10 > T > 8 > 6 > 5 > 9

I enjoy the end game raiding though I'm just getting into it and don't really have a group to play with, supposedly HW's story was better than Stormblood's but I haven't paid much attention to it. Most of SB takes place in a Japanese inspired setting.

HW was a really in depth and character developing story. You got to get away from being "Eorzea's" champion and were just "Ishgardian's" champion, you were actually appreciated in Ishgard compared to being the slave you were in ARR. I'm figuring from what I hear Lyse gets all the credit in SB so you're back to hero #2 status again. Even HW OST was better. It will be hard to top HW, and Jap inspired setting is pretty okayish. I'm sure many people liked Garlemald but we were forced to take them down (lame).

Is Leviathan server full of people? I am on the Jenova server, it's active but has a small community, so you'll see multiple people over and over again, people pretty much know each other. Make sure to spam RF for new trials/raids asap, they die out quick, and it's better than having to watch the video to learn for your first time than just experience it, although you can just watch the video after.

Attached: ac3b7ce4b06658dbc819dac94aeaa2d8.jpg (2000x1367, 320K)

Leviathan has one of the highest populations, they have the most on Primal data center. The most popular one is Balmung on Aether but it's closed to new players and most people there have a reputation for being weirdos.

haven't played I-VI

>VII
*Great story/characters
*Before shitty voice acting era
*Good mechanics, but turnbased system gets tedious

>VIII
*OK characters, story is great until halfway, then it reads like a history channel aliens documentary and a soap opera
*Got board and couldn't finish after 30~ hours
*Mechanics are cool, magic system gets annoying at times

>IX
*From what I've played its great, and the stylized art from what I've seen makes it hold up visually better then any of the other games that came before it.
*haven't finished, but I am more tempted to go back for this one over others I haven't finished

>X
*Interesting story
*Terrible voice acting youtube.com/watch?v=bF4T9TSwxAo
*Orb system was one of the more unique changes up to that point
*Do you like Buckles? character design is lots of buckles from here on out

>X1
*bad
*just bad
*really bad
*From the era of games that decided MMOs were the way to print money, which are almost across the board are bad
*did I mention bad

>XII
*The characters are and voice acting is passably not cringe inducing.
*Complex story, but complex doesn't mean good, talking about trade embargoes in Phantom Menace was complex, that didn't make that shit interesting through.
*Leveling is a bit of a grind, and if you already know the good skills you will pick those up and end up picking up a host of other skills you don't care about unless you're hunting marks

>XIII
*A FUCKING HALLWAY
*boring characters
*Quit after 7 hours and never looked back.
*Dumber names then normal

Tactics A2
* One of the most reliable time sinks you will ever find, blew 400 hours in that game and lost it, would do it again if they ported it to android.
*Story and characters are forgettable, but thats not why you play it

Missed the more recent titles

ALL IN ALL
Probs 7, but for replay-ability Tactics A2

To be honest rather than play one through six (or whatever nip/engrish numbers they are) just play Chrono Trigger and pretend you did as it is superior anyway.

>*A FUCKING HALLWAY
great designs, bosses, enemies, fit the story where you only ever had one fate to rebel against the fal'cie
>*boring characters
lightning, hope, cid, orphan were definitely not boring
>*Quit after 7 hours and never looked back.
finish the fucking game
>*Dumber names then normal
jesus christ

you don't know what "a fucking hallway" is until you play XV and spend an entire 2-3 hours forced to LIMP POWERLESS IN A LITERAL FUCKING HALLWAY

Why are people always so fucking obsessed with being able to "explore". At least you got to travel to many different places, as opposed to having an open world in two or three desert or prarie wastelands. Shit, there are other open world games why does FF have to be one of them every single game?

You have fucking good taste, OP.

My brother calls them "Final Science Fiction". There's no 'fantasy' left.

I think everything after 9 has been trash.

8 Was my first so I liked it the most until I started playing other FF games and realized it was shit and I actually had no idea what hte fuck the story is about since it's a cluster fuck, but my favorite of all time would be X

Attached: C-pdv0_UQAA2sOa.jpg (900x1200, 143K)

I've tried 1-3(the remakes), but haven't gotten far enough to really have much of an opinion on them. from what I experienced they were simplistic in terms of story/characters/and battle system which was what I expected. hard to judge them positively through the lens of how games have evolved, I'm sure they were great and fundamental to the industry, but I don't care that much about seeing the sausage getting made to blow 40 hours on each of them. I'll pick p Chrono again sometime, my system bricked way back when as I was going through it. Playing Xenogears via emulator atm, which has a fantastic combat system for its time, and has had a pretty baller story so far.

I wish in FFXIV they called it machina rather than machines
But X-2 and XIV is still very much fantasy.

For me,it's gotta be the dissidia games. Love the concept of it and it's sad how big a flop the newest one was.

This game doesn't get enough love

Attached: Ffcc_myrrhtree.jpg (646x900, 124K)

I've always wanted to get into dissidia, but what is wrong with the new one?

Probably a dark horse here, but I have to give a shout out to Four Heroes of Light. It was simple, but satisfying, and I loved the class gem system.

Attached: be4.jpg (609x663, 108K)

Life is too short to play bad games, and from what I've seen, XIII was a bad game, spaz out all you want nerd. I'm willing to sink 4-5 hours of my life to watch a cinematic epic that I've been told great things about. I will not sink 60+ hours on a game that I didn't enjoy from what I played of it and was horribly reviewed by the reviewers who's opinions I trust on the word of some guy on the internet I don't know

I actually beat this, it was comfy but would have been much better with a friend.

This game was fun for the first hour but gets tedious and hella repetitive after the first two bosses.

I remember 13's combat system being kinda okay, if only the rest of it wasn't so shit.

This guy gets it. Most of the FF games are trash anyways. Only good if games are 15,core,type-0 and the dissidia series anyways.

I dont get why people never liked chapter 13 for what it was in 1.0
The slowness and helpness was forced on you to make you actually feel slow and helpless, yet if you actually tried without even using guides you could get through the sluggish part in an hour at most

Yet they had to go and change it to ruin the whole setting of the chapter, allowing sprinting and making the ring completely op

I always see people complaining about this, but the ramuh section without using chocobos? Nah thats fine, 4 miles of walking is no problem, helps set the scene because you just lost your ride

Get some sense

it takes 9-10 hours to beat XIII you fucking retard. you don't even know how to play a linear game CLEARLY

yeah I played xenogears until it froze on me a couple years ago near the end.

>ree

And the only old FF game I liked was six/three, as in six in Japan as they give them more games all of the time, and three in the USA.

Were you having magitek in your third one and the Esper? Because that one was nice, though I was playing Chrono Trigger literally at the same time and got distracted years ago from finishing, the Trigger just makes every old RPG seem awful.

It spoils you.

I still have it downloaded to play though, games I never finished.

>The slowness and helpness was forced on you to make you actually feel slow and helpless, yet if you actually tried without even using guides you could get through the sluggish part in an hour at most
it's a huge waste of time, when Destiny 2 makes you slow and sluggish for 5 minutes, that is the threshhold.

>Why are people always so fucking obsessed with being able to "explore". At least you got to travel to many different places, as opposed to having an open world in two or three desert or prarie wastelands. Shit, there are other open world games why does FF have to be one of them every single game?

Linear story progression is great when you have a good story. If however, the story sucks, then I would be Clockwork Orange style forcing myself through something I don't like. Even if it does get good, if it takes more then 7 hours to be good then I'm not going to invest any more of my time into it on the off chance that it can change my mind. Same reason I told my friend to fuck off when he told me Steven Universe gets fantastic after 25+ episodes

Forced 3 player teams, only 1 or 2 hp attacks per fight, literally no rpg elements, to progress in the nonexistant story you have to not play the story

Also shit servers

FF9 and Tactics advanced probably.

I haven't played 12, 15 and only played the first game for 13. I plan on playing 12 soon since it came out on pc recently.

My first ff was ff3, i got it randomly for original gameboy when i was a kid, Although I don't really remember it. I can't really remember 4/5/6 but I know I've played one or two of them but I don't remember which and the name switch gets me.

I've played the rest of them though.

There was alot of missing stuff from the beginning that they had to watch in and it also came out when MH and that dragon Ball fighter z came out so not alot of people got into it.

Actually scratch that, I haven't played crisis core/type-0 and all the other spinoffs. The only spin offs i played were tactics, and tactics advance. I might also try tactic advanced 2 soon.

>Linear story progression is great when you have a good story. If however, the story sucks, then I would be Clockwork Orange style forcing myself through something I don't like. Even if it does get good, if it takes more then 7 hours to be good then I'm not going to invest any more of my time into it on the off chance that it can change my mind. Same reason I told my friend to fuck off when he told me Steven Universe gets fantastic after 25+ episodes
it wasn't that bad, you're just too retarded to finish a game.

>only names all the arpj ff games

Okay retard thats a good opinion you got

12 plays the game for you
lmaoing @ you

I haven't even played 12, why are you lmaoing @ me buddy

just don't use the gambit system because the game literally plays itself

FFX is my go to but 8 and 9 r good too

It's because they are just better story and gameplay wise than most of the others.

>if you don't like the game you're retarded
so this is the power of lightningfags, whoa...

Alright I'll keep that in mind, I actually have no clue what the gameplay is like at all, never really looked into it. I just have the autism of playing ff games.

gamelengths.com/games/playtimes/Final Fantasy XIII/
>Average time 62:29 hours
>Minimum, the time set by speedrunners, who skip everything thats possible to skip and minmax after exhaustively researching best runs is 5:46

But please, tell me more about how its only 9-10 hours long genius

>implying anyone here has the autism to speedrun
lmaoing @ you

3 was the one I made the least progress on, seemed pretty alright, I just didn't invest the time to get further. Chrono was good from what I played, I just lost my motivation to restart after I lost my save. I'm sure I'll go back to it at some point though.

>Choosing not to like something after giving it a 7 hour window to impress me and not being able to get into it is my fault

Nah man, I just have better things to do then to force myself into a 60+ hour commitment for something. I don't enjoy, not saying the game isn't fun for some people, just that my subjective opinion is that the game is dogshit, same as my subjective opinion that you're taste is dogshit

IX truely a classic

I have no idea how anyone has the autism to speedrun anything. But then again people voluntarily curate Wikipedia articles for free. I'm definitely not up for that kind of bullshit.

I've only played 6 but I liked it.