How does one escape depression?

how does one escape depression?

Attached: 233.jpg (600x730, 30K)

You don't. All you can do is manage it by distracting yourself from it.

Have you tried medical therapy?

That's like asking how to dodge a train that hit you.

A Horcrux is an object in which a person has concealed part of their soul. One splits his soul and hides part of it in an object, doing so you are protected should your body be depressed or gay.

I am suffering from it too. A lot. I felt good this morning, good as in I didn't want to die. But now i feel super sleepy and cold...

What're all your symptoms? Also, I cant answer you question

I tried everything and the only thing that's worked for me reliably was meds. I've tried therapy, getting more religious and praying, tried exercise, phototherapy, self-help shit, and more.
Nothing helped. Yesterday got so bad that I called my doctor in the middle of the night begging him to help me and that I would go on meds again because I can't handle this anymore. We live in a small town so he actually came to my place with a nurse and tried to talk to me and told me how to restart meds. Now I'm completely normal-ish. I hate that I have to take meds just to have some sort of normal baseline but I guess I have to. It's been getting worse everytime I go off them even when I go on a withdrawal schedule

Fixing the society that enslaves you
Work at an animal shelter
Work at a homeless shelter
Escaping depression doesn't come from some self improvement meme, it comes from helping those who are truly worse off than yourself and understanding them

Therapy about what sucks in your life currently or was there some traumatic past experience you need to talk about?

Get into exercise, get some sunlight
Question is it your career path/ relationship that causing depression?

oh come on user.

you know the answer to that.

Attached: 250px-SuperMacro_Rope.jpg (250x188, 15K)

You can only be distracted. I hit rock bottom once, decided to ask a girl out instead of killing myself(because I'm not suicidal). Things have improved objectively in my life, even though I still have no money. However I feel like death sometimes and argue with mommy like an autistic sperg out of control. You can have any material thing you wish for if you work for it, but you'll always be depressed. Again, you can only distract yourself from it depending on what you do, and it never lasts forever.

Attached: 1521586894419.jpg (1024x1000, 157K)

That's wonderful that you don't suffer form mental illness and everything but you should really shut your mouth.

this i can relate to. sometimes there just is something wrong in your brain and you need meds to fix it. took me 8 years to figure this out because i trusted nobody on the issue, but now i feel great.

this also seems to be decent advice. if somebody considers med, he should always combine it with something else that gives him some self-worth, because meds on their own don't do shit. It's in the way they work, they don't just magically produce happiness, they just amplify positive experiences. could be work, could be some volunteer work, could be creative work.

too poor to afford medical therapy
so according to you there is no solution?
>What're all your symptoms?
sad all the time, don't see a meaning of life as i have no friends, my dreams were shattered a while ago, no light at the end of the tunnel.
lol we don't have many of those in this 3rd world shithole
>Question is it your career path/ relationship that causing depression?
little of both
i have no social life, never been in a relationship cause am poor as fuck ,a date once a month is a huge stress on my financial status.

Attached: failure.jpg (683x385, 76K)

You can't. Prepare to suffer and die, hahahaha!

>this i can relate to. sometimes there just is something wrong in your brain and you need meds to fix it. took me 8 years to figure this out because i trusted nobody on the issue, but now i feel great.
I definitely agree. I've been trying to tell myself all this time that it's not something biological in me even though my doctor has said it is and it runs in my family, but I keep on refusing and thinking I can overcome it without meds. But then my mood drops steadily for several days and then suddenly I go into a deep depression that prevents me from even eating or getting out of bed. Idk why I keep doing it to myself.

>sad all the time, don't see a meaning of life as i have no friends, my dreams were shattered a while ago, no light at the end of the tunnel.
>i have no social life, never been in a relationship cause am poor as fuck ,a date once a month is a huge stress on my financial status.
your problem is not depression, my friend. your life's just fucked up. depression is when you're doing ok in life but still feel like shit.

That's not always true. It could be that you had a great life but depression made it all fucked up.

stop being so edgy, brudi.

First of all: Fuck Psychiatrists.

Then: Try to understand what exactly fucks you up, who you are and why you're doing what you're doing. In other words start visiting a Psychoanalyst.

Once you get the feeling you understand shit, you gotta evaluate if the factors that lead to your self destructive behaviour are still present.
If so you gotta remove them from your life/remove yourself from them.
If not you should move on to behavioural therapy. You might have behavioural patterns that promote your depression and simply exist because they were ingrained in you for a long period of time.
Behavioural therapy would aim to change those behavioural patterns step by step. HOWEVER this only works if the reason why you developed those patterns in the first place doesnt factor into your life anymore. That is why doing psychoanalysis in the beginning is essential.

If you cannot pull out of your self destructive patterns during behavioural therapy no matter how hard you try, there might be something wrong with you on a genetical level. Mutations of COMT and other shit that fucks with your neurotransmitters come to mind.

Don't despair however. Modern medicine makes it possible to even alter your genetic destiny. Go to a doctor who's specialized in hormone replacement therapy and such (depending on what country you live in it might be more or less difficult to find someone)

One there give em your blood, piss, shit, saliva whatever they need. Then let them therapy you with minerals, vitamins, amino acids and hormones. After that go back to behavioural therapy, or better yet, keep doing it during.

If you did all of this and still couldn't overcome your depression then i'm at my wits end.

>It could be that you had a great life but depression made it all fucked up.
While this is true, you still need to work on all these levels at the same time. You cannot say: Once my depression is over I will be able to have a social life and a job and a gf again. Because your suffering is exactly because of the lack of these things. So in order to make your suffering go away, you'll need to fix your life, while at the same time battling your depression. Fixing one thing while postponing the other won't do shit.

am already suffering and am too pussy to go for a soduku right now
it's just that i see myself going nowhere with life, there is not even the possibilty to be distracted.
never had a great life and am not bitching about it, i just deal with it, the problem is i feel like i hit rock bottom, i fail in everything i do, exept for the academic side, i have a masters degree in law and am currently a phd condidate, that's the smallest and happiest thing in my life.

If you had severe depression like I have, you don't have the energy to eat let alone maintain your job or relationships.

>exept for the academic side, i have a masters degree in law and am currently a phd condidate
sooo, why not pursue this further? you can get a job with that, can't you? and if you had a job you could both afford a gf and meds.

I am deep into cars, planes, knives, firearms, watches, warhams, music, reading... It just takes up my inmediate attention and makes me forget the pain in brief instants. Nobody really knows where they're headed in life and the only people that succeed in keeping calm are the ones thac can manage to work diligently towards a single goal for extended periods of time. This is the key to normies. How people succeed. Just work towards a single goal all the time.

>hrt
>literally tranny propaganda
fuck off

Eventually you become numb. It took me 8 years and a bipolar diagnosis, but i am now totally numb emotionally.

You could always try to volunteer somewhere that'll make you feel good about yourself. Like teaching math to children or whatever.

I cant do this anymore. Something is wrong with me. I can't keep living like this. Depression has taken over. It's what defines me. I am tired and fatigued. My stomach is upset often. Anxiety over health and my stomach whenever it gets upset. I don't have a huge appetite. I have been on 5mg lexapro for 5 years because I fear withdrawals. I cannot get pleasure from anything. Nothing. No relief from this depression. No motivation to workout. I can't keep living like this and I can easily see and understand why people fucking end their lives. I get I was born with anxiety issues but why is depression so strong. I just want it to go away.

>have a 6 figure job
>wife, kid
>loved by my parents, not really that shitty of a child hood
>want to kill myself every day

got a shrink appt tomorrow, will let you guys know how it goes

I'm headed this way except no 6 figures and no kid probably. Doesnt really matter what I do and worst of all I am very mentally determined to not kill myself, so I can only suffer through it.

there are only 4s and 7s in your postnumber, my friend.
and yes, I've been there. maybe I'm lucky, I have a friend who was always at my side, no matter how little "maintenance" came from me. but at the start of this year i was so down that i couldn't even manage to make a therapy appointment. so i went straight to the hospital and got some meds there. then i felt i was able to start a very low maintenance job, as a dishwasher and that's what i did. and that was a big step in the right direction on it's own.

failed 3 times getting a job with the police, failed twice with the military, and once getting a job as a judge.
the only option that is currently left is to become a lawyer, but for that you have to pay the board of lawyers here what is worth a 6k in order to oppen your business.
i don't even have a dream, but my goal is getting a job which i failed at it miserably like i said above
kek can we trade lives

that's really helpful and i'll make sure to take it into consideration, thanks la

Attached: 1497667953829.jpg (498x960, 129K)

i obviously am unwilling to kill myself because i don't want to fuck over my parents, wife, and kid, so shrink seemed like the only option to make life bearable. good luck bro.

It is not hard to make it in normieland if you spam yourself enough. I dont have the drive to do this but this is how you succeed. Lie a bit on your resume and spam the fuck out of it sending thousands of copies to thousands of places each week. It is just a matter of numbers.

>the only option that is currently left is to become a lawyer, but for that you have to pay the board of lawyers here what is worth a 6k in order to oppen your business.
take a loan? it might seem like a risk, but what exactly do you have to lose if you already hit rock bottom? and if your academics are good a bank should be willing to give you a loan.

irony is that i'm an attorney. don't know why you got your LLM, unless it's in tax its a waste of money. good work on the phd, shit seems like a lot of work but it's something to be proud of.

meant for origanolotomo.

>It's what defines me.
Stop saying shit like this. That'd be a start. No illness defines you. Can an illness go on the internet and formulate sentences? No. Your a human being with an illness but that's far from all you have.

I'm not talking about turning into a tranny you mongoloid.
I'm talking about checking if for example your testosterone levels are up to par, since testosterone is a major psychological driving force for us humans, male and female alike.
Also there's other shit like cortisol and other hormones like T3 and T4 produced by your thyroid as well as shit produced by your adrenal glans that affect how much mental and physical energy you have.

I mean ffs how the fuck would you even interpret what i wrote as trannyposting, what the fuck is wrong with you?!

Stop self identifying with it.
There is no greater wisdom than your own body.

Attached: bonappetit.jpg (1024x768, 119K)

Dr wants to prescribe me zoloft for my depression and anxiety and existential crisis im having
good or bad idea and why

Zoloft is an SSRI.
Usage of those is highly debated among medical professionals
Nobody really knows how exactly our brain chemistry influences our thoughts and emotions, all we have to go on are some vague studies based on subjective indicators.
On the other hand there's evidence that prolonged usage of Serotonin reuptake inhibitors can fuck your natural Serotonin levels permanently.

My advice would be to insist on a blood test that measures your serotonin. If it really is deficient then you can think about actually trying to use it.
The problem is that many Psychiatrists prescribe SSRIs to patients with normal serotonin levels, because they don't give a fuck.
This leads to heavy side effects, almost no difference in emotional well being and probably chronic serotonin problems.

If you don't think you can survive the wait until your lab results are back you can immediatly take the pills but, please, don't do this shit blind, get the test done

so can i talk to my doctor about one of these tests? i have to admit something also, i just wanted to see a response. I have been taking 5mg lexapro for 5 years exactly and it isnt working. i am now starting to ween off. like you said, i might have my brain permanetly fucked up and i am terrified

Like with everyone else on this board you almost certainly have "meme depression" and not legitimate depression.

Clear all the shit and clutter out of your room, organize and tidy what's left of things you truely need and enjoy, get a haircut and some new clothes and go outside and gor for runs everyday - or walks if you're too fat and/or out of shape.

Also loads of people confuse rational normal sadness with depression. Being sad when your dog died and your grandma died and your girlfriend broke up with you and then she died and then you got rejected from college and the college died - that's not depression that's completely normal.

Depression is when you have a girlfriend and a loving family and you have a great job and a place of your own and you win a million dollars - but you're still unable to feel anything at all except the doubt in your mind about whether it's worth getting out of bed in the morning at all.

>t. former shut-in pissbottling NEET

Attached: OK_thumb.jpg (600x600, 30K)

I am depressed. I have an easy job that I don't hate. Live on my own keep my space clean, have a dog and my family is right across the street. I cannot enjoy anything and i keep having anxiety whenever I think about how pointless it all is. i want to be cured. i want to feel something.

>I cannot enjoy anything and i keep having anxiety whenever I think about how pointless it all is.

Do you spend all your free time reading shit on Jow Forums

Most of my free time i browse google for info on my worries and problems, Jow Forums, mostly r9k. reddit but only for the Jow Forumsmilf and Jow Forumsdepression. sometimes i load up vidya in my free time but thats short lived... i feel so tired. been on lexapro for 5 years 5mg. i think i am broken. user, will i ever feel any sense of happiness or relief? its starting to freak me out thinking i will feel like i do right now until i die

Nothing fills you, you feel like you were all the way hollow.
And yeah, you can laugh, and have a good time once in while, but out of nowhere your mind starts to fuck you over.
All the meme advices are worthless with the real thing, it doesn't mattger if you get yourself a haircut, nice clothes, excercise, friends, anything.
Hell, even with a gf your mind still lurks into the dephts of your own personal hell.
>Do you deserve anyone?
>Does it matter?
>What will you do when they get fed up with your bullshit and move on onto someone better?
>You are a burden
>They deserve better
>But they all deserve fucking nothing, because you think that everyone is just as hollow as you are, but they don't notice.
>Remember that thing you used to love? Well, just because you have been abusing the shit outta it, it has became dull and boring, mostly a conscious placebo

user, I really hope you get better, but there's not such a thing as an escape from this, distraction is the only thing left for the ones that have hit rock bottom.

And also, you never really touch rock bottom, you just get stuck in a steep of the abbyss, because when you think that you are on your lowest, you fall again, even deeper.

Attached: 1523751974572.jpg (672x900, 148K)

Take it slow. Ask your doc if getting a blood test done while on medication is even useful.

Also don't worry too much about potentially having fucked up your natural serotonin levels.
It is just one factor that makes up your brain chemistry.
And if the levels should really be problematic you can start taking 5-HTP (5-Hydroxitryptophan). It's a naturally occuring amino acid that is a direct precursor of Serotonin. Taking high doses of it as a supplement can reverse the adverse effects SSRIs might have had on you.

I have taken high doses of SSRIs myself for over 3 years without noticing any positive effects. Nobody ever expressed any interest in looking up if there was even any indication for using those types of antidepressants but they kept talking me into taking them cause apparently everyone but me noticed "a difference". Too bad that "difference" didn't make a difference in me getting my shit together.

If i sound frustrated about the state of Psychiatric practices in the world, it's probably because of that experience

>t. Crybaby bitch

>will i ever feel any sense of happiness or relief?

yeah stop spending your time on the internet

Attached: i-used-the-internet.jpg (532x1200, 103K)

>meditate
>exercise regularly, preferably daily, for at least 60 min
>eat a non-inflammatory diet: no sugar, no meat, no eggs, no dairy, large amounts of vegetables, balanced omega 3/6
>go outside regularly, get at least 15 minutes of sun exposure a day or supplement vitamin d at the very least
>stop playing video games all day
>stop browsing Jow Forums all day
>stop masturbating

Maintain this for a couple months and congratulations, you're no longer depressed.

How would that help me. I am on the internet so much because nothing feels good.

>work
>drive 1 hour and 10 minutes total a day to commute
>come home and shower
>walk dog
>sit down and browse internet
>make dinner
>browse internet
>browse internet in bed before sleep (orange light mode lowest dim)
>sleep
>repeat

Seriously, don't buy into this "it's all in your head" bullshit.
Look up "fast COMT and MAO".
All my life i thought i was a goddamn alien not able to feel happiness like my peers were able to.

Now at age 25 for the first time in my life, after 9 years of continuous treatment against depression, a doctor got the idea to check for a comt mutation, just out of curiosity.

Turns out i was homozygote for a fast comt which lead to my body degrading dopamine 3-4 times faster than a normal person while also keeping my base dopamin level extremely low. Suddenly my whole life seemed to make sense.

Unfortunately it's not that easy to work against a fast COMT. You can try to take Tyrosine, a natural amino acid - for many people it makes a huge difference. Making sure your mineral blood levels are in the green can also be helpful.

We're all gonna make it, user. You just have to dig deeper than most ...

You need to start exercising and go outside. Your evolutionary ancestors spend hundreds of thousands of years outside all day every day doing very physically intensive things. The farther you go from how your body evolved to live, the more it's going to rebel against it. Depression is your body telling you that something(s) in your life is horribly wrong.

this. You're stuck in an addict's cycle where the only thing that sort of makes you feel normal is also the thing that is actually preventing you from feeling normal.

Not only that the internet is a constant source of OTHER PEOPLE'S stress and anxieties and worries and hatred and paranoia that you willingly pump into your own psyche.

Go outside, without your dog, and go for walks & runs. Get a creative hobby like music or drawing or writing or even just like building plastic models or collecting stamps or absolutely whatever that keeps your hands and mind busy.

Attached: nothing.jpg (640x480, 55K)

Set achievable short term goals that ultimately improve your quality of life.

Attached: image.jpg (718x701, 64K)

To be honest, I remember when I used to just sit outside and clear my mind, and I did feel better than I did before and after. I've tried doing it at night, but maybe the sun is important? I know I don't go outside, and i'm probably not getting vitamin d from my diet.

That list is my personal list that I developed over about two decades of trying to beat my own depression. It's ALL important. If I keep doing it all, I'm perfectly happy. If I start slacking on even one of them for too long, I start getting depressed again.

Vitamin D is pretty big, though. But it's very cheap and near impossible to overdose on so you can check that one easily by getting some D3 supplements and taking 300-500% of your daily amount for a week or two.

hey. just started reading all your replies im not ignoring you guys

>falling for the escaping depression meme