Fountain Pen General

Anyone here like fountain pens? Which ones do you have and which one do you like best? What do you do with them?

I'm a poorfag but I just spent 70 buckaroos on a TWSBI 580AL and I really like it. Smoothest one I have until now, although idk if it's the ink or the nib. Pretty afraid that it'll crack sooner or later but I guess it'll do until I get something better. These are the others, in the order that I got them:
>Kaweco Liliput Bronze (gift from friend that got me into FPs)
>Pilot Metropolitan Black Crocodile
>Lamy CP1
>TWSBI 580AL

Sometimes I steal my boss's MB but he's really chill about it.

I've started taking notes with them at work and I also practice writing at home, although I suck at it.

Thinking about saving up and getting a more prestigious one in the future, like the Pilot Falcon or a Lamy Vanishing Point. What do you think?

Attached: 580al.jpg (600x400, 63K)

I meant "Kaweco Liliput Brass", not Bronze. My bad...

Have you tried drawing with them?

I have no confidence in my writing, let alone my drawing skills, so no. Have you?

>tfw no one likes fountain pens on Jow Forums
C'mon m'guys, this is a good robot hobby (that is probably just a waste of money).

no id just get ink all over myself.

I use a Lamy EF and while i really enjoy writing with it, my handwriting is still barely legible and messy. It might be that i write too fast or my hands are too shaky, but i don't know how to improve this.

I bought this a long time ago, it's too pretty to write with.

Attached: bb37b363-0e8f-44d2-85e9-5e1f8e6dae19.jpg (1499x1000, 267K)

Yesterday i have received a TWSBI ECO with an extra fine nib. I have another fountain pen, a Lamy safari, still with an EF nib.
If I leave the safary without putting the cap on for a while and then i start writing again, there is no issue, but with the eco it struggles to get the ink start flowing again. Can i do something about it?

I primarily use them but I don't know anything about fountain pens indepth. The two I own are both bought at fleamarkets at 8 euro, but they look nice enough and feel quite heavy. In which ways are 70 buckaroo ones superior?

Was thinking of getting one to take notes during lectures?
Is it good for fast writing?
Any suggestions?

Personally I started trying to learn Spencerian, and the book is very particular about the hand position used. I'm trying to get used to that, and even though the position is difficult and my hands still shake, it is getting better. So maybe you should find out how to properly hold a fountain pen and then practice that slowly and consistently. Don't rush.

Isn't that crazy expensive? Why the hell would you not write with it?

As pretentious as this sounds, I feel like it's wasted on writing shopping lists and checks. What exactly would I use it for? I have no idea.

Nice thread! I use Parker 51, although not is much as I wish I would. Amazing pen really, sometimes difficult to find decent ink though

I'm no expert but that sounds like baby bottom, which basically means that the nib tip shape is slightly wrong which causes the ink to stop flowing correctly when it's removed from paper for more than a few seconds. Depending on the severity, afaik, the pen could 'hard start' after taking the pen off the paper for literally 1 second. I think your only option is to go to the seller or contact TWSBI directly. Either that or you know how to fix it yourself.

Thanks for the reply, i had the same issue with the lamy but after a year of continuously using it now it werks just fine. Well i guess ill stick to it for now,maybe i will try dicking around with the nib by widening the fins a bit the

What's the best Parker 51 copy?

>hobby
it's just buying overpriced pens

Attached: 1492651928303.jpg (317x330, 20K)

I couldn't tell you unless I knew which 8 euro ones you have. There are a couple things that improve at a higher price point: general quality control, nib smoothness and reliability, body material, nib material (steel vs 14k gold vs 18k gold and beyond), construction, and aesthetics to name a few. Also you generally don't get certain filling mechanisms at lower prices because it's hard to make a really reliable piston filler at cheap.

An expert could probably give you a more comprehensive answer.

Honestly though I think fountain pens are insanely overpriced due to being more of a luxury item nowadays rather than a necessity. Manufacturers make them in smaller quantities AND they can ask more money for them because the people buying them are hobbyists who are willing to spend major dosh for something iconic like a 149. It really comes down to how much people are willing to pay for them as a hobby item.

Yeah just read up on common issues and you'll probably find something. Good luck.

True but at least they're functional and look nice. It's like better jewelery.

But yeah, can't say I disagree.

Which one specifically? The 580AL? Better start with an Eco if it's your first, much cheaper. Or better yet, get a Pilot Metropolitan: it's metal (stronger), and uses cartridges which might be less messy as a first FP. Otherwise you might get annoyed filling the pen and cleaning it and stuff. Plus it's cheaper (20 bucks).

If you're literally just gonna take notes once every blue moon, get a disposable bic ballpoint and forget about FPs because they'll just be a burden.

I understand where you're coming from now. I suppose you should start keeping a journal. It'll help sort out your thoughts while actually using that ink for something productive. You'll enjoy looking back on it too.

That's the advice I would give myself at least.

Bump pen

Bump pen 2 final

I have a Lamy Safari and a Waterman Hemisphere. Recently I bought a Platinum PTL-5000A, and I am incredibly happy with it.

Attached: PTL5000A-12-1.jpg (1000x667, 119K)

>Waterman Hemisphere
Been thinking of getting this one for a while. What do you think of it?

>platinum PTL-5000
Where the hell did you get this? I thought they were discontinued. I wish I could get a gold nib for 50 bucks.

Time for me to go to sleep

I read that as spy fountain pen, thought there was a camera in it for creep purposes, i'm thoroughly disappointed.

Nah I use reed pens, don't want to risk coming across as pretentious.